Hucks Army - Faith. Family. Freedom. [Grassroots] JOIN HUCKS ARMY | GET INVOLVED | FUNDRAISING | LINKS | LEADERSHIP | ABOUT
It is currently Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:04 pm 
Lieutenant

Liked: 0
http://www.ktre.com/Global/story.asp?s=7841262

I watched a piece on either Fox or CNN last night about the large number of Texans who are opposed to this TTC (trans Texas corridor) proposal. This proposal is connected to the North American Union which G.W. Bush along with Mexico and Canada are trying to secretly push through. This massive road building proposal is also called the NAFTA Superhighway.

I know that Mike is opposed to to this North American Union in any shape or form. This may be a large bloc of voters That he could make a strong connection with. The news piece on CNN or FOX said that there have been many townhall meetings about this issue and there would be many more.

I just heard CNN say that they were going to be talking about it again in a few minutes.

Quote:
2/7/08 - Trinity
TTC/I-69 Protest
by Christa Lollis

The streets of Trinity were closed for 45 minutes this afternoon as East Texans rode their tractors and horses through town letting everyone know what they thought of the proposed TTC and I-69. "We are opposed to the Trans Texas corridor. They're planning on building the corridor through Trinity, Walker and Grimes county and this area. They're taking 5800 acres here in Trinity County alone," Gary Smith said.

With signs and chants they hope they got their message across. They want TXDOT to rethink the 10-lane interstate that they say would take their land. "We don't want it for environmental reasons, tax based reasons, the taking of land by imminent domain," Troy Mcfarland, East Texan explained. The protesters say, it's their land and their opinions and they wish Governor Perry would hear their voice. Mcfaralnd challenges Perry, "Do the action the people are requesting. He is one of our representatives. He is an elected official, not appointed so he should be listening." TXDOT says that's exactly why they're holding these meetings across the state. They want to address all the concerns Texans have and try to create routes everyone will be happy with. "This is our process, to listen to their comments, to take their comments and go back and look at them. The protests, that's all part of it. That's what we're here for tonight is to hear their comments," TXDOT Engineer, David Collmorgen explained.

Tonight's demonstration was the strongest way these East Texans could think of to get their point across, because their land means more than money. Smith, said, "There's not enough money they could offer us. We're Texans too and we believe we have the right to exist."

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:18 pm 
***** General

I've heard a lot of rumors about this highway but haven't found a whole lot of real facts to date...From what I've heard it seems to me like a terrible idea.

I'll try to find some links to websites in case anybody is interested.

It sounds as if it could affect a lot more people than just Texans.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:24 pm 
*** General

Liked: 14
Gov. Rick Perry has been pushing to get this through. :evil: That's why so many Texans are angry with him. It's not that he isn't listening, he is actively trying to get it through.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:25 pm 
Lieutenant

From what I have heard about this, it is to follow the path of I-35 from Texas north to Duluth, MN and on into Canada. Tom Tancrado (sp?) is up to speed on this whole thing. WND.com has run pieces on this. I believe a man by the name of Jerome Corsie (sp?) talks about it quite a bit.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:30 pm 
***** General

Thanks, I'll check some things out. http://www.borderfirereport.net also has some stuff I didn't get a chance to read.

http://www.caller.com/news/2007/nov/14/ ... -roadways/ -
http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=16966

also, http://www.169texas.org is the official highway website for Texas

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:06 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel

Basically it is a highway. In the coming years our trade with south america will increase this is what this all about. THe whole NAU conspiracy thing is a nice thing for so called conservative groups to make bucks off people. Epsecially retired folks.

the whole thing makes the conservative movement look silly IMHO

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:28 pm 
Captain

FYI: the proposed route goes right through our house!!

All it really is is a super highway for illegals to get north faster :|

I haven't heard anything good that it will do for us yet. So, what's the point? If they're looking for ways to spend our tax dollars, then I can come with tons of ideas that are better than this. It's pathetic....

Blog: http://blog.f3coalition.org

Fellow Huck's Army recruits, let's roll....Image

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:37 pm 
Lieutenant

Lou Dobbs on CNN tonight named the company that is the proposed contractor for this TTC - I-69 project. The company is from MEXICO!!!!!!!!!!!!! No economic stimulus in this major infrastructure project :evil: Mexican contractors, Mexican equipment and Mexican materials.
Quote:

With all due respect...While there may be those who poo poo the idea of a North American Union, there are a growing number of respected conservatives who are warning that this is in the works.

Even if the NAU is not a factor in this massive corridor being built. There are many people who don't want it shoved down their throats, or across their property.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:43 pm 
Sergeant

Here is the official govt. website about the "Security and Prosperity Partnership":

http://www.spp.gov/

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:45 pm 
Sergeant

In all honesty, this has been worked up without a lot of evidence by the people complaining of it. The US already has a highway that connects all of the Americas going all the way up to Canada. It's called I-35 here in the US but it's been part of the Pan-American highway for decades. There are no real substantive reports or evidence to suggest that they're building a 12 lane superhighway.

I-69 is a completely different direction than what is being talked about. It's an upgrade of the US-59 highway that travels from Victoria, TX through Houston and on up through east Texas and beyond. I don't recall where it ends just now, but it doesn't connect to Mexico and it doesn't reach anywhere remotely close to Canada. I live here in Sugar Land, TX just a couple miles from US-59 and it's a massive highway already and needs a lot of improvements to make it more useable in the expanding areas of the suburbs. This area is growing by leaps and bounds.

I'm a conservative here in Texas and most of this is just fear-mongering by what seems to be conspiracy theorists. There are pros and cons. And there are legitimate reasons that people don't want the I-69 corridor built but they are not really related to a North American Union superhighway. Mostly it's localized complaints and issues rather than one world government issues.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:20 pm 
Captain

slim_grizzy wrote:
Mostly it's localized complaints and issues rather than one world government issues.

True. That's the reason it's such an important issue. People have become so focused on big government and the people at the top of the ladder that they ignore the rest of us. Surely you don't think that "localized complaints" aren't worth listening to? It's the local people who will be affected by it. The governemnt bureaucrats are ignoring the voice of the people. WE don't want it. If they don't care about what we want, then they should be removed from office.

The Trans Texas Corridor is more than just a road. The huge superhighway will be part of the plan, of course, but there will also be railroads, cables, pipes, and whatever else runs across the country in the same wide strip. It would be a huge deal and basically isolate one side of the corridor from the other. Just think, how will you get from your house in the country across twelve lanes of traffic and a whole line of railroad lines? They can't build a bridge over this thing every few miles. Being five miles outside of town could still leave you an hours drive from the grocery store if you happen to be on the wrong side. How could emergency vehicles get across in a hurry?

And, by the way, what good is this going to do anyone? It will kick thousands of people out of their homes, but who is it going to be helping? What's wrong with I-35 and highway 59? They do the job just fine.

People from the Houston metroplex wouldn't be affected by it nearly as much as those of us in more rural areas. The big cities are already so full of concrete and traffic that they probably wouldn't notice one more!

I-69 would not just be a reworking of 59, but would be a totally different project. It would go the same general direction (south to north) but would follow a totally new route. For substantial evidence, you should attend the Tx DOT meetings and get the real facts. The fear mongering doesn't come from conspiracy theorists, but from the mouths of the TX Department of Transportation officials. This is real, and it's not a good idea.

That's my two cents....or maybe three.....

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:29 pm 
***** General

Now I'm confused..don't know what to think.I'll have to sleep on this and do more research!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:11 am 
Sergeant

I'm not saying that localized issues aren't worth talking about by any means. I wasn't trying to imply that at all. They're very much a real issue and I think the voices of those affected by it should be taken in to consideration. There are just many people saying this is part of some NAU that's going to set us up for one world government. This isn't some sinister plan done in secret.

Even though some people don't like it, there are others that would benefit from it. People in towns like Victoria and Lufkin would be able to get more traffic and expand their economies on a larger commercially viable road. There are pros and cons, but nothing really sinister from what I've seen.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:07 am 
Lieutenant Colonel

slim_grizzy wrote:
Even though some people don't like it, there are others that would benefit from it. People in towns like Victoria and Lufkin would be able to get more traffic and expand their economies on a larger commercially viable road. There are pros and cons, but nothing really sinister from what I've seen.
Sure, some might benefit, but I think the problems outweigh the benefits in this case. And besides, the people who would benefit the most would be the illegals who don't belong here anyway. Your're right that it would give towns like Lufkin more traffic, but since when is that a good thing? What if we don't want more traffic? Especially if it's the wrong kind of traffic (i.e. drugs, illegals, etc.). The truth is, not everybody is too keen on the idea of "expanding our economy." Some would like to see things stay the way they are (particularly if the alternative is for your family homestead to be confiscated and your house bulldozed.) It's all fine and dandy for you to say that there's nothing really "sinister" about it, but I think you'd think differently if it was your house and your homestead in the designated "kill zone." The way it stands now, our entire homeplace, along with several very old and historical cemeteries and all the community churches, are directly in the corridor's route and are destined to be leveled and covered in three feet of steel and concrete, all in the name of "progress." The truth is, this whole plan hasn't been very popular with anybody from the huge section of Texas that's being affected. Sure, this nation's infrastructure needs work, but believe me, this ain't the way to do it. I would agree with the first post, that if Mike would come out in opposition to this, he could garner lots of support. (I can think of one 35,000 person town in particular that would really like him. :? )

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:30 am 
***** General

JWS I understand where you are coming from. In order to build a highway bypass around town, the government is buying i.e forcing us to sell more than 50 acres of prime land from a three- generation family farm. This hurts.

Iowa DOT is saying, Oh just go take the money and buy some land elsewhere.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:28 am 
Captain

How could Huck use this to his benefit since he one of his economic stimulas ideas is to build new highways? Seems like it would be somewhat inconsistent for him to come out against this in light of what he has already said in debates on the issue generally (not specific to this topic). Even though 35,000 votes would be great, I know he won't come out against it unless he is truly against it. He is not like the other panderers left standing.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:25 pm 
***** General

Maybe he could support building highways but not this particular one? I dunno...this one IS controversial....

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:42 pm 
Lieutenant

Quote:
GAMOM4HUCK

How could Huck use this to his benefit since he one of his economic stimulas ideas is to build new highways? Seems like it would be somewhat inconsistent for him to come out against this in light of what he has already said in debates on the issue generally (not specific to this topic). Even though 35,000 votes would be great, I know he won't come out against it unless he is truly against it. He is not like the other panderers left standing.

I believe that our existing highways and bridges are in great need of repair. I don't believe that we need these new 10 lane monstrosities that they are planning. Huck can promote building or rebuilding the infrastructure.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:31 pm 
*** General

Liked: 14
Dan Cramer wrote:
Lou Dobbs on CNN tonight named the company that is the proposed contractor for this TTC - I-69 project. The company is from MEXICO!!!!!!!!!!!!! No economic stimulus in this major infrastructure project :evil: Mexican contractors, Mexican equipment and Mexican materials.
Quote:

With all due respect...While there may be those who poo poo the idea of a North American Union, there are a growing number of respected conservatives who are warning that this is in the works.

Even if the NAU is not a factor in this massive corridor being built. There are many people who don't want it shoved down their throats, or across their property.

This is another way to tie it in. It does not help repair existing infrastructure; it does not provide jobs/economic stimulus to America. The feeling from people in Texas is that is will make the illegal immigration problem worse. That's in addition to all the people who will lose their land, access to business in their own towns, etc.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:10 pm 
Captain

The latest news....

Quote:
NACOGDOCHES — In what may have been the first hint of victory for opponents of the Trans Texas Corridor, a high-ranking Texas Department of Transportation official said Thursday he regretted his agency's communication failures and said one proposed version of the corridor, a 10-lane super highway with rail and utility pathways, will "probably not" be built in East Texas, based on the overwhelming resistance to the idea expressed at public hearings on the project this month.

Phillip Russell, assistant executive director for innovative project development at TxDOT, was the keynote speaker at the Lone Star Legislative Summit at SFA Thursday, where he told listeners that "a lot of people that are supporting the notion of (TTC) 69 only do so if we use the existing roadway."

Russell said the most likely plan, based on public input, will be an enlargement of U.S. Highway 59, with additional services like rail and utilities added as needed in separate areas — a departure from the plan for a 1,200 foot wide corridor that would pass east of Nacogdoches and gobble up thousands of acres of private land.

Read the rest of the article....