Hucks Army - Faith. Family. Freedom. [Grassroots] JOIN HUCKS ARMY | GET INVOLVED | FUNDRAISING | LINKS | LEADERSHIP | ABOUT
It is currently Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Agriculture
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:39 pm 
Lieutenant

Liked: 0
Agriculture is an important issue for many reasons. In Mike's CSIS speech he mentions our country can not be dependant on foreign sources of food.
Ethanol and Biofuels are developed from Argriculture can lead to freedom from foreign sources of oil as well. This is an important topic. Issues like Suburban Expansion into rural areas and other things like foreign investors buying up large pieces of land may have to be addressed at some point. Here in Michigan Argiculture is a big player in the States Economy as with Ohio and many Midwestern States. I think Mike is the candidate for America

Post subject: Re: Agriculture
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:18 am 
Private

I agree. Agriculture will continue to grow into a hot issue.

One of the biggest issues right now the U.S. faces is stopping dependence on foreign oil. This very well can be accomplished through the use of Biofuels.

Here is a good graphical Biofuel comparison link from National Geographic:

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2007/ ... nteractive

Just to note, one other alternative to oil is creating Hydrogen:

Here is a couple of out of many hydrogen links:

http://www.hydrogencarsnow.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_vehicle

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:47 am 
***** General

It is terrible to watch prime farmland being gobbled up by suburban expansion, roads, etc. We are losing 50 plus acres of this farm to a highway bypass....

I have heard there is enough land around here, if properly husbanded, to feed much of the world, but the available area certainly seems to be shrinking fast to
me.

I don't know where the US plans to get its food in the future, but I don't want to be eating off a plate from China. My solution is to grow food as locally as possible. It's actually supposed to be healthier for us to eat food grown nearby and we wouldn't need to spend so much on fuel (and roads) trucking food from one end of the country to another....

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:42 pm 

Liked: 152
Jughead wrote:
It is terrible to watch prime farmland being gobbled up by suburban expansion, roads, etc. We are losing 50 plus acres of this farm to a highway bypass....

I have heard there is enough land around here, if properly husbanded, to feed much of the world, but the available area certainly seems to be shrinking fast to
me.

I don't know where the US plans to get its food in the future, but I don't want to be eating off a plate from China. My solution is to grow food as locally as possible. It's actually supposed to be healthier for us to eat food grown nearby and we wouldn't need to spend so much on fuel (and roads) trucking food from one end of the country to another....

When you said "this farm" does that mean you are a farmer :?: If so; I would like to say, Image
My brother-in-law is a farmer, too. I KNOW how hard they work many long hours for such low pay. I had my sister print where Mike stood on the farming issues to give to my b-i-l. He voted for Mike because of that stand.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:03 pm 
***** General

I'm a NYC girl,My Better Half is the farmer, now retired, who had a 100 head of Holstein milking cows and a dairy processing plant and grew acres of corn and beans-- and beans and corn--like his dad and grand dad before him. It's not quite a Century Farm, yet, though. We currently rent the land to a neighbor who grows crops. Let somebody else take the risk!

His family was pretty progressive way back when, the first four-wheel drive tractor in the area, the first to use pesticides and herbicides, etc, and nobody in his family ever went in for government subsidies.

However after the cows were sold in '99 he considered the government's Land Use Program. It turned out in order to qualify he would have to plant x? many acres (to the tune of some fantastic (?)amount per acre) with seed that would feed an endangered Indiana (?) songbird. He just looked at them and said you've got to be kidding me, then he walked out AND NEVER LOOKED BACK....

Right now where the DOT is putting in a new highway it seems more concerned about the rights of an endangered Indiana (what is it about Indiana?) bat than about the rights of the landowners!

gee whiz!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:11 pm 

Liked: 152
Land is not a renewable commodity. With all the "development" on farmland; it won't be long before WE are the endangered species because farmers will no longer be able to grow crops and raise animals for our food. :(

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:19 pm 
***** General

Liked: 72
Agriculture is a complex issue. Ethanol is getting beating right now with the media elites.

As far as losing farmland to urban sprawl percentage wise I am not sure if it that much of a problem. Production was keeping up with demand until the BioFuels thing hit.

Not too get on too many soapboxes, but this spring with all the rain there was an enormous amount of erosion out in the country. To me this is a travesty. I know I sound like a communist green pinko but fall tillage needs to be stopped. :(

I think Mike's Boy Scout analogy fits into this discussion.

"If there was hope, it must lie in the proles..." George Orwell's Nineteen Eighty-Four

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:59 pm 
***** General

I have a tendency to get on the proverbial soapbox myself, so I understand...

There are so many sides to these issues...

I am all for farmers to make a good living and I am also a champion of using our land wisely. I'm not so sure that the govt and the chemical companies are doing so OR encouraging farmers to do so, that is why here we wanted nothing to do with government programs. Also, the people in the family who spread chemicals on acres and acres of this farm now have concerns about exposure...some potions were related to Agent Orange...

I JUST don't know.. But I do know I don't have total confidence in the FDA either, though that might be unfair...however it seems so many things that science has come up with that were deemed safe at the time have been proven otherwise.

It's hard to improve on Mother Nature, IMHO