Hucks Army - Faith. Family. Freedom. [Grassroots] JOIN HUCKS ARMY | GET INVOLVED | FUNDRAISING | LINKS | LEADERSHIP | ABOUT
It is currently Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:04 pm 
Lieutenant

Liked: 0
I watched Hannity, months ago, attack Huckabee for this letter he wrote to Dumond.

"My desire is that you be released from prison. I feel that parole is the best way for your reintroduction to society to take place."

Huckabee immediately pegged Hannity for cutting off the last part of the letter. Problem is, the web is so flooded with the shortened version I can't find the full quote! It was something along the lines of saying that he could not grant further clemency, because he wanted Dumond paroled, not set free.

This letter is repeated in all Dumond discussion as a negative point, but the full letter actually shows how Huckabee denied further clemency. I feel it is our duty to set the record straight.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:05 am 
Lieutenant

bump.

Come on, no one has this?! Does anyone at least know what I'm referring to?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:15 am 
***** General

Liked: 525
I saw it. I was watching Shamity at the time.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:56 am 
General

The entire letter was posted in the Truth Squad area of the official website. It may still be there in the archives.

Blog: http://blog.f3coalition.org

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:29 am 
***** General

Liked: 215
I couldn't find the full letter either, but here is an excerpt:

http://www.arkansasleader.com/2007/11/e ... iasco.html
Quote:
“Dear Wayne, I have reviewed your applications for executive clemency, specifically a commutation and/or pardon.... My desire is that you be released from prison. I feel now that parole is the best way for your reintegration into society .... Therefore, after careful consideration ... I have denied your applications.”

and here is a story from the Truth Squad about it:
http://www.mikehuckabee.com/?FuseAction ... cle&ID=130

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:16 am 
Colonel

I didn't know about the letter release issue...
Hannity news deserve to get cancelled. :evil:

I'm not sure why Mike wrote "My desire is that you be released from prison." but Mike clearly denies it.
The problem is people in general don't research enough.
Even if they research, if the answer is hard to get to, they probably give up researching. It seems like many people gave up.
Maybe all these information can be organized on HuckabeeAlliance website... or somewhere.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:25 pm 
Sergeant

Here is Governor Huckabee's explanation of the Dumond case, taken from his book, From Hope to Higher Ground.
Quote:
The fact that so many people do not fully understand the difference between a pardon, a commutation, and a parole is something with which I became all to familiar during the course pf perhaps one of the more troubling cases to ever come across my desk, that of convicted rapist Wayne Dumond......

.....The sentence given to Dumond was harsher than any sentence for a similar crime in at least a dozen years for that county. In 1992, while Governor Bill Clinton was out of state campaigning for president, Acting Governor Jim Guy Tucker, the lieutenant governor, commuted Dumond's sentence, making him eligible for parole. The governor did not have the authority to issue parole; for that, authority rested soley in the hands of the parole board, and required an approved parole plan with verification of employment and living arrangements outside prison. Despite of being eligible, Dumond was denied parole each time he applied.

Dumond's file for additional commutation was sitting on Jim Guy Tucker's desk when I assumed the office of governor. Since Tucker had already commuted his sentence, making him parole-eligible, any further commutation would have reduced his sentence to time served, allowing him to leave prison immedietly with or without a parole plan.

Prior to leaving office, Tucker had told me in a personal conversation that he had commuted Dumond's sentence because it seemed excessive in view of similar cases from that area, and because of other concerns he had about the case. While there was speculation at the time that Governor Clinton was unaware that the commutation was going to take place, I know from my understanding of the inner workings of the process in the governor's office how impossible that would be. The commutation would have involved the participation of several staff members in Governor Clinton's office. It is unthinkable that an action of that magnitude could have happened without his knowledge, if not full approval.

By the time I saw Dumond's file in September 1996, I had received information that gave me reason to consider commuting his sentence to time served. Per the Arkansas law, I announced my intention to do so. Subsequent to that announcement, additional information surfaced that caused me to concern about his being free without any responsibility for supervision and regular reporting to a parole officer. Based on his exemplary prison record and the support that he had gained, and due to the commuted sentence from Lieutenant Governor Tucker, I supported his parole, but ultimately denied hisrequest for a further commutation. It was my only official action in the Dumond case. A parole plan was eventually approved for Dumond, but two years later he was arrested on a murder charge of a Missouri woman and suspected in yet another similar killing. He died in jail before going to trial and with his death, many unanswered questions remain.