Hucks Army - Faith. Family. Freedom. [Grassroots] JOIN HUCKS ARMY | GET INVOLVED | FUNDRAISING | LINKS | LEADERSHIP | ABOUT
It is currently Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:38 am 
***** General

Liked: 211
I could not believe the turn-out in a liberal college town for Mike. At first we thought no one was going to show up and even Huckabee was wondering why the publisher would send him to an area like that, but the crowd grew and grew!!! Young people, Asians, African Americans.......some posing beside a poster of Mike for pictures. I wondered to myself, "Is this the GOP?" And I thought, "It could be if we nominate Huckabee!"

By the way, at one stop I had a woman come up to me after she had her book signed and said, "I have never been treated more rudely than I have been treated by that @#$hole" and then continued to rip on Huckabee. I was trying to appease the woman until she admitted to me that she worked on the 2008 Romney campaign and then I quit listening......

It was great being at all the six Iowa stops. Great networking!

I should also add that the state trooper that pulled me over on the way to a book signing (long story) admitted that he would support Huck in 2012.

TEAM HUCK IOWA
http://www.facebook.com/TeamHuckIowa

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:42 pm 
Major General

Liked: 12
Quote:
I should also add that the state trooper that pulled me over on the way to a book signing (long story) admitted that he would support Huck in 2012.

You can't leave it like that.............Did you get a ticket? :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:58 pm 
***** General

Liked: 92
I was a witness... she got 2.... and it is a long story!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:10 pm 
***** General

Liked: 440
janelles wrote:

But they were "warning" tickets only. :D :D :D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:13 pm 
***** General

IowaforHuckabee wrote:
janelles wrote:

But they were "warning" tickets only. :D :D :D

Their Mike Huckabee 2012 stickers on their window and Team Huck shirts and buttons were probably the reason for his question as to how the book signing was going. :D :D :D :D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:16 pm 
***** General

Iowans Rock wrote:
GrannyT wrote:
Does anyone know the names of all the guys that were with Mike in the tour bus? I'm assuming from the captions by the pictures that David is the tall guy with the shiny head. Who is the younger guy with glasses? And there was another younger guy, too. Who is he?

I don't know but the book boys were cute.....

His "book boys" are always cute and very nice young gentlemen! Josh Smallbone is the name of the one beside Mike handing him the books.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:47 pm 
***** General

Hey, I want a Texas update. I am hearing crowds are huge.

TEAM HUCK IOWA

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:27 pm 
***** General

From Iowa.....

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

TEAM HUCK IOWA

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:28 pm 

Liked: 152
Iowans Rock wrote:
Hey, I want a Texas update. I am hearing crowds are huge.

8)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:33 pm 
***** General

Liked: 259
What a great time in Sherman Texas today. I had the opportunity to meet with the HuckPac state coordinators as we set up a few things before Gov. Huckabee arrived. We had fun chatting about politics and our hopes for a Huckabee run in 2012. They were very nice people and you could tell why Huckabee trusted them as his state leaders for Texas.

The people that came to the book signing were very excited to meet Mike Huckabee. Many people had more than one book to be signed. They were hopeful that Huckabee will run again in 2012. Many shared stories of how they voted for him in 2008 and why they like Mike.

One young man who looked to be age 10-14 brought his guitar and was excited to have Huckabee sign it. I took a picture of him when he first got there and then again when he was talking with Gov. Huckabee. Both Huckabee and the boy seemed delighted to have that moment to talk about guitars. His mom was pretty excited for him and she had a book signed as well.

There were over 200 people at this book signing. Sherman is a pretty small town and is over an hour away from Dallas. So that number is really good.

Things I noticed were people talking about Huckabee running in 2012. Mostly older people, but there were several young adults there as well.

Huckabee took the time to chat with each person, looking them in the eyes-giving them his full attention, and then thanking them for coming out to see him.

After all the people had gone through the line, Huckabee took some time to answer media questions. There were several camera crews and a few print journalists. The questions he was asked were almost all about economics/financial problems of the country, how Huckabee would fix them, about his book, whether or not he will run, what might hold him back, etc...

Then there were a few people who got their late and Huckabee signed their books as well.

And last but not least, he took the time to get a group photo with those at the bookstore and sign their books.

This is the third time I have been at a "Huckabee" event and the thing that always captures my attention is how Huckabee is kind to everyone, treating each person as if they are the only one in the room. He never looks around to see if someone "more important" is nearby and he never hurries anyone along.

I will try and figure out how to upload pictures and then I will post them here.

:)

http://ilikemikehuckabee2012.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:50 pm 

Liked: 152
Debbie,

Thank you for reporting. I'm starting to come to the conclusion that there is some type of security set on my computer that isn't allowing me to upload my pictures. If you ever figure out how to do it; please let me know.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:50 pm 
***** General

IowaforHuckabee wrote:
There was one young lady from the University of Iowa who was at the first book stop in Davenport interviewing us and others and then Mike at the media event he held at the end of each signing. She was such a sweetheart (an absolute doll - polite, mature, respectful), and since we spent a lot of time together at a few of the other stops, we Team Huck members had the opportunity to talk with her a great deal and enjoyed discussing the tour and Mike. She had chosen Mike to write a paper on for a project and admitted that as a registered Democrat, when she first started the project she didn't have a very high opinion of him. By the time we had reached the stop on the UI campus, she not only had changed her mind, but wanted to have her picture taken with him and told us and him that she would vote for him. It was fun to see the progression take place and see what many of us here have said many times; once people meet Mike, hear him talk and see who he really is versus what the media portrays him as, people can't help but like him and will eventually end up supporting him. We offered her any help we could give her with her project and she is going to send us a copy of her final report. Can't wait to read it!

I was a bit confused on this. Evidently, Keely is writing several articles on Mike, so there are more to come. Here is the first one. There is a video and pictures (including one of HA members with signs) at this link.

http://www.iowawatch.org/?p=3393

Interesting that Santorum didn't have any warning about being axed.

Quote:
In Eastern Iowa, Mike Huckabee signs books, stays mum about 2012 presidential intentions

Posted on 04 March 2011

A group of supporters greets Mike Huckabee at a Davenport Sam's Club - a stop on his book signing tour. Speculation continues about whether and when Huckabee will announce a bid for the 2012 presidency. Photo by McKinley Kemp/Special to IowaWatch

By KEELY KEMP
IowaWatch Staff Writer

A growing queue snaked through the aisles of the Davenport Sam’s Club on Sunday, as a group of Iowans awaited the arrival of Mike Huckabee, the former Arkansas governor. Each arriving supporter was handed a copy of Huckabee’s new book, “A Simple Government.”

Some mingled, discussing the author’s policies, character, his Fox News show or even the way he smiled. But they soon grew restless, and the chanting began: “Huckabee 2012! Huckabee 2012!”

Within minutes, an enormous tour bus, painted to look like his book’s understated cover, pulled up to the store’s entryway. The man of the hour had arrived.

The door of the bus whooshed open and out poured Huckabee and his entourage. His supporters gathered around, cheering and carrying signs with messages like “America needs Huckabee 2012” or “Huckabee 2012, Chuck Norris Approved.”

Was this just part of a book tour, or a campaign stop for the man who won Iowa, but lost the 2008 Republican nomination for president?

Speculation about Huckabee’s presidential ambitions intensified on Wednesday when Fox News kept him on

its payroll, but suspended former House Speaker Newt Gingrich and former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum, two of his fellow contributors who are contemplating runs at the presidency.

By Thursday, CNN was asking Santorum why he thought he got the hook, while Huckabee got to stay. “I don’t know why Fox differentiated, and they didn’t talk to me about it,” Santorum said. On the surface, the difference between Huckabee’s status and that of Santorum and Gingrich is gray. Just last week, Huckabee confidently said he was “seriously and genuinely contemplating a run.

And, this week, during his swing through Iowa, Huckabee designed this book tour as a “pre-campaign,” to see how his message resonates with voters throughout more cities in the heartland. The strategy, he said, will help him decide whether to announce his candidacy.

Regardless of that decision, the massive turnout at his book tour stops on Sunday and Monday showed that he still holds the hearts of many Iowa conservatives.

Iowans were not shy about asking him to throw his hat into the ring. But Huckabee, careful not to tip his hand, just smiled and thanked those who encouraged his bid.

Huckabee’s supporters said they admired his honesty, down-to-earth mentality and his good-natured character.

Mike Huckabee signs a book at his stop at the Old Capitol Mall in Iowa City. Photo by McKinley Kemp/Special to IowaWatch

“He’s an honest man, tells it like it is,” said Charles Ponce, a retired Air Force member who was left his Tulsa, Okla. home to care for his elderly mother in Davenport.

“He wants to do what is right for the country,” he added.

Huckabee greeted each supporter personally, like when he asked a coatless college-aged supporter where his jacket was. When the man motioned to a young woman, who was holding it, Huckabee, looking relieved said, “I was going to have to let you borrow one.”

“I wish [campaigning] meant more and more of visiting with people and listening to their concerns and focusing on issues and what you would do if elected,” Huckabee said in a press conference after the Davenport signing.

His supporters praised that seeming genuineness.

“He was civil before civil became a term used,” said Janelle Stephens, a Huck PAC volunteer, during the Iowa City stop. “I see kindness in his brown eyes and I place a premium in kindness.”

As Huckabee signed the books in front of him, Stephens, who looked to be in her 60s, gazed at him with the unyielding admiration of a love-drunk teenage girl.

“I think he is looking for a sign,” she said. “When God tells you it’s time to run, we’re behind you.”

And how has the pre-campaign progressed thus far? David Huckabee, like his former-governor father, put the answer simply.

“So far so good,” he said.

(Keely Kemp is an IowaWatch staff writer and a junior at the University of Iowa majoring in in Journalism and Spanish.)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:42 am 
Site Admin

Liked: 782
The Wichita Eagle, not always known for its friendliness to conservatives, had this excellent story on March 3. There are four great photos, too. Check it out at:

http://www.kansas.com/2011/03/02/174264 ... z1FdjPlJdC

Huckabee, his book find warm welcome in Wichita

BY RON SYLVESTER
The Wichita Eagle

Quote:
Mike Huckabee found an hour's solace from the pressures of politics as a tour bus with his picture on the side rolled into the parking lot of Watermark Books on Tuesday evening.

While people in the rest of the country buzzed about his gaffe on New York talk radio just a day before, Huckabee found nothing but support, warm handshakes and smiles.

No one mentioned Huckabee's comment on WOR radio. He'd said President Obama's growing up in Kenya shaped his worldview and policies. Obama didn't visit Kenya until he was in his 20s.

After he signed books at Watermark, the former Arkansas governor's political action committee released this statement just after 8:30 p.m.:
"I simply misspoke when I alluded to President Obama growing up in 'Kenya' and meant to say Indonesia," where Obama lived from ages 5-10, the statement read.

Huckabee told the Des Moines Register that the 41-city book tour is aimed as much at helping him decide whether to seek the Republican presidential nomination a second time as it is at promoting his new release.

A poll released Tuesday of 11 Southern states by Winthrop University of Rock Hill, S.C., showed Huckabee leading a field of prospective Republican candidates.

The 155 people who filed through the east Wichita bookstore had lined up outside before he arrived, clutched his book and held him in admiration.
Huckabee stopped David Kinnan and his wife, Angela, in the fast-moving line inside the bookstore to meet the Derby couple's four children, ages 2 to 8.

"The last election we voted for him — my wife and I both," Kinnan, 34, said. "He has very realistic politics, and goals we could achieve as a country. With the death (tax) and fair tax. And he seems to get along with everybody."

Andrea Downs, 40, of Andover, came to see Huckabee, after attending Sarah Palin's appearance in November. Palin signed books in Andover.
"I like to see those who inspire me," Downs said.

Which would she prefer to see run for president?

"No comment," Downs said, smiling.

There's no choice yet. Neither has announced plans to seek the White House in 2012.

Huckabee spent about 10 seconds signing each book but shook hands and often offered a "God bless you" to folks in line.

Huckabee stopped David Austin of Bel Aire, who worked for Dick Kelsey's congressional campaign last year. Kelsey stepped out of the race after his wife was diagnosed with cancer.

"He asked about Dick's wife, and showed he's human and a caring person," Austin, 38, said.

Huckabee chuckled as he signed Jeremy Browning's red-and-white shirt. It carried the name of Huckabee's book "A Simple Christmas," which brought him to Watermark little more than a year ago.

"I bought it online after he was here in 2009," Browning, 20, said. "It's a great way to show my support for Mike Huckabee. And it's gotten a little attention tonight."

As to whom the book store would rather have come for a signing--Palin or Huckabee--one employee said that they did not look forward to a Palin tour (if they could get her to come) because she can be very rude and just leave before meeting all the people. This employee came out to the bus when a few of us boarded to meet him and afterward told my husband, "You are so fortunate to get to meet Huckabee. I wish I could go on that bus."

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:04 pm 
Major General

Liked: 23
Thanks JustGrace for sharing the newspaper article and photographs and other interesting tidbits. So happy you and your hubby got to meet and visit with him on the bus, know that was a joyful experience !!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:55 pm 
Site Admin

Yes, sandra, it was a joyful and memorable experience, and I hope you and others will get to meet him.

This morning Huckabee was on Fox and Friends from Little Rock, Arkansas, so I hope he is getting some rest at home and time with his wife and family. I wonder if he will tape a Huckabee show or if it is preempted because of the earthquake in Japan. He was on Fox and Friends this AM from Arkansas and had some excellent comments about America's generosity in reaching out to people across the world when there are natural disasters. He said that when he was in Pakistan after their disaster that it was 90% Americans helping.

Sunday, March 13, Huckabee is at book signings of his new book, A Simple Government, in Texas in the afternoon. (They will have other of his books available, too.)

Hastings in Tyler, TX at 2-3 PM;
Barrons, in Longview, TX at 5-6PM;
and Shreveport, Louisiana in the evening

Monday, March 14, he is in Alexandria, GA Books a Million at 11-12 AM,
Baton Rouge, LA, Lifeway Christian Books at 3:30-4-3:30 PM
Biloxi, MS at 7:30 PM

Tuesday will be the last stop near his new Florida residence in Destin, FL.--Books A Million @ 10-11 AM

Please pray. This has to be an exhausting, yet joyful time for Gov. Huckabee. Also, it is a time of decision whether he runs. He is taking many quick interviews and doing shows, so we need to pray for his strength and concentration as well as wisdom in giving answers.

Let's encourage everyone we know to send HuckPAC at least a $5 gift to say, "Please run for President."

Are any of you going to be nearby? Check out http://www.huckpac.com for addresses of the book stores and to check the times.

You also might want to call the bookstore in your area to find out their rules for the signing. Some will let you bring your own copies to sign and others will not, or will at least let you get in line only with a ticket of purchase.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:45 pm 
Major General

We had a great event in Longview yesterday afternoon with an estimated 300 enthusiastic people coming to see Huckabee. It was his first time to come to Longview for a book tour. My husband and I were thrilled to be the first guests to go on the bus and greet Mike. Our team of wonderful volunteers welcomed everyone who came and were able to obtain contact data from 225 people. We passed out stickers and literature regarding HuckPAC. We started the cheer "WE LIKE MIKE" as he came off the bus with many joining in with us. It was a fun, exciting afternoon with lots of positive remarks and smiling faces. I will try to post photographs soon. Sandra

Please read the story below on the front page of today's Longview newspaper.

http://www.news-journal.com/news/local/ ... 2849f.html

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:33 pm 
***** General

Liked: 183
New Facebook page for supporters to post pictures and comments about the book tour. Please post a few pics and comments:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mike-Huc ... 3243454638

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:10 am 
***** General

Liked: 259
I tried uploading Sandra's pictures to HA and it would not work. Kept saying it was invalid. But I was able to post them on my website. So now I can transfer them here:

Quote:
You can read my Mike Huckabee has Successful Second Swing through Texas post here:

http://ilikemikehuckabee2012.blogspot.c ... econd.html

http://ilikemikehuckabee2012.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:14 am 
Major General

Thank you Debbie for placing some of my photographs here as well as on your web site. I am in awe of your professional computer skills and talents and appreciate the excellent reporting you are giving to Mike's activities. He is blessed to have you and so many others that are building up his base of supporters through media outlets. Like everyone here at HA, I am now patiently waiting for Mike's decision this summer.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:20 pm 
Site Admin

sandra wrote:
Thank you Debbie for placing some of my photographs here as well as on your web site. I am in awe of your professional computer skills and talents and appreciate the excellent reporting you are giving to Mike's activities. He is blessed to have you and so many others that are building up his base of supporters through media outlets. Like everyone here at HA, I am now patiently waiting for Mike's decision this summer.

I really enjoyed the photos! Looks like you had a good crowd and I liked your signs, etc. We couldn't hold up signs at our bookstore. And I appreciate sandra as well as Debbie and others here for using their talents for a good cause of helping Mike.