Hucks Army - Faith. Family. Freedom. [Grassroots] JOIN HUCKS ARMY | GET INVOLVED | FUNDRAISING | LINKS | LEADERSHIP | ABOUT
It is currently Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:45 am 
Lieutenant General

Liked: 340
Found this, but I don't have access to the details. Anyone know something about this?

Huckabee taking part in Tallahassee student summit this weekend

A diverse panel — including a co-founder of Twitter and former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee — will discuss issues involving college students

http://www.tallahassee.com/article/20110325/BREAKINGNEWS/110324014/Huckabee-taking-part-in-Tallahassee-student-summit-this-weekend

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:46 pm 
Site Admin

Liked: 782
Here's an article. http://www.famu.edu/index.cfm?a=headlines&p=display&news=2337

Quote:
FAMU and FSU SGA Co-Sponsor the State of the Student Summit
March 24, 2011

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. — Florida A&M University (FAMU) has teamed up with Florida State University (FSU) for the second annual State of the Student Summit. The summit will bring together a diverse compilation of today’s top leaders from around the nation in business, academia, media, politics and education to attack major issues affecting America's students domestically and globally. The Summit is scheduled for Sunday, March 27, at 6 p.m. at the Tallahassee-Leon County Civic Center.

“The purpose of the Student Summit is to bring a variety of panelist to empower students on various issues such as budget cuts, health care, entrepreneurship and environmental sustainability. It’s imperative that we keep our students up-to-date with current issues not only in the U.S. but the world,” said Breyon Love, a junior accounting student and vice president of FAMU’s Student Government Association.

The event will feature a panel discussion and open-dialogue with the audience. The panelists for the Summit are as follows:

* Kirk Franklin – seven-time GRAMMY® Awards winning gospel music artist and host of SUNDAY BEST, Black Entertainment Television’s original series.
* Mike Huckabee – former governor of Arkansas, former Republican presidential candidate, author and the host of Huckabee on FOXNews.com.
* Van Jones – environmental activist, attorney and professor
* Kelly Layman - executive director of Communications and Development for the State University System, Florida Board of Governors
* Dom Sagolla – co-founder of the social media website Twitter

The discussion is one way to bridge the gap between FAMU and FSU students, and to hear how they feel about the issues affecting the student body.

General admission for the Summit is free and open to the general public.

For more information, contact (850) 599-3624.

Huckabee will be up against an environmental activist, etc. I just finished reading Chapter 8 or his new book, A Simple Government. Mike will hold his own, I am sure, and will be able to reach students because of his concern for the protecting the environment, as his chapter title asserts: "Leave Your Campsite in Better Shape Than You Found It." He would appreciate prayers in this venue.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:49 am 
Colonel

Liked: 17
you all should read the comments on twitter about Mike Huckabee from those attending this!! Its great! search #studentSummit . Something I am seeing is alot of african american students posting lots of positive things about him! thats great!

Here are some of the comments for those of you without twitter:

Quote:
LeenBean_ Beans.
Much respect to Gov Huckabee for being an honest man. #studentsummit

Quote:
AmyDerringer Amy Leigh Derringer
Thank you @govmikehuckabee. Much respect. #studentsummit

Quote:
5Alarms A. Galloway
I may disagree with Huckabee but he knows how to defend his position therefore he gets my respect #studentsummit

Quote:
B3autifulBliss Christina W.
RT @iAMNels1 Huckabee is winning the crowd over!!! Watch out Obama! Jk jk jk #studentsummit

Quote:
Bridge_JoQuita Bridge_JoQuita
Huckabee has a lot of valid points @studentsummit #studentsummit

Quote:
spankinstephiee Stephanie Smalling
Huckabee just grilled those people that make comments and don't put their face & name behind it! I agree! #studentsummit

Quote:
NardoFaSho Kenard Stevens
Mike Huckabee is the realist person on the panel #StudentSummit

Quote:
ChocolatBabiii kiana shackelford
Huckbee cool with me #studentsummit

Quote:
Bridge_JoQuita Bridge_JoQuita
Yes Huckabee! @studentsummit #studentsummit

Quote:
brothaben Benjamin Evans III
@GovMikeHuckabee actually changed my views on him at the #studentsummit ... not all republicans are right and not all democrats are wrong!

Quote:
BrockAHoward Brock Howard
Thanks @govmikehuckabee it was a true pleasure to meet you last night and hear you speak at the #studentsummit

Quote:
JLOVE88AD Jasmine Davis
Mike Huckabee gets my support! Politicians care about voters, not the ppl that gripe and complain and chose not to vote to change it

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:08 am 

Liked: 152
Here's a link to an article about it and a clip from the article:
http://www.tallahassee.com/article/20110328/NEWS01/103280319/Mike-Huckabee-speaks-at-student-summit

Quote:
The conversation got a little heated during the discussion of Fox News, as Huckabee defended the network's programming against Sagolla and moderator Jeff Branch's commentary on the liberal and conservative leanings of Fox News and MSNBC.

Students in their tweets defended his ability to stand up for what he believes in and his honesty made him a favorite among many students.

"He was really to the point and authentic," said FSU student Shetara Edden.

Huckabee, who had to leave early, ended by saying, "When I talk to students, I always like to say you need to be more interested in politics than me, because it's going to affect you a whole lot more than it is me. What they do today will affect you for the next 65 years. You need to be an employer, not an employee when it comes to government."

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:13 pm 
Colonel

Liked: 1
Smart move by Huckabee to connect with the younger voters.