Hucks Army - Faith. Family. Freedom. [Grassroots] JOIN HUCKS ARMY | GET INVOLVED | FUNDRAISING | LINKS | LEADERSHIP | ABOUT
It is currently Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 217 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:09 pm 
***** General

Liked: 653
Here's my interpretation of the Governor's comment:

Clearly he believes Chip is being unfairly judged as disqualified from leadership over this poor "Christmas gift" choice. He wants to be loyal to someone he personally knows is not a rascist or an idiot but who has done something foolish and impolitic.

Huckabee wants to remind folks that he is not a bigot (the Obama statement again) and therefore should not be forced to take a litmus test of his purity on matters of racial inclusion by disavowing Chip.

Difficult place to be. Very small tight rope to walk.

We'll see how it goes down. :|

"As for us, our days of combat are over. Our swords are rust. Our guns will thunder no more. The vultures that once wheeled over our heads must be buried with their prey. Whatever of glory must be won in the council or the closet, never again in the field. I do not repine. We have shared the incommunicable experience of war; we have felt, we still feel, the passion of life to its top."

Oliver Wendell Holmes

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:18 pm 
Sergeant

Liked: 1
Mike's Statement reads :

u r my sunshine wrote:

.. Chip knows how sensitive such issues are.

If he knows how sensitive they are, then why did he do it?

No ones humor (especially Rush's), trumps sensitivity.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:35 pm 
***** General

Liked: 259
Political people were already waiting to see what Huckabee had to say: Politico already found Huckabee's statement:
http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/
Quote:
Huck weighs in

Mike Huckabee, in a written statement, gently chided his former campaign manager, Chip Saltsman, having for distributing a CD including the song, "Barack the Magic Negro."

Chip should have been more careful in his selection of Christmas gifts, but no one who knows him would ever suggest that he in any way would purposely disparage other people. Chip knows how sensitive such issues are. It shouldn’t be the main factor in the RNC race.

The election of Barack Obama is not only historic for our country but it is something all Americans, not just Democrats, should celebrate. As I have said many times the election of Mr. Obama is significant not because of his race or in spite of it, but with indifference to it. He was not my choice for President, but he will be MY President over the next four years and I will support him personally and pray for his success. I will certainly disagree with him at times, but I pledge that my disagreements with him will be over his policy decisions and not aimed at him personally. I ask that all of you will join with me in doing that.

http://ilikemikehuckabee2012.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:47 pm 
***** General

Liked: 32
And the first two comments on the Politico post are sarcastic toward Mike -- as I knew they would be. We have all had the opportunity to have our say. Now, let's hope everybody accepts Mike's thoughts -- whether they agree with them or not -- and permit him to act in ways he believes appropriate.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:16 pm 
***** General

Liked: 21
I'm glad Mike said what he did. Hopefully people will not try to keep this stuck to him. He certainly doesn't deserve it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:31 pm 
***** General

Liked: 40
Southern Doc wrote:
Here's my interpretation of the Governor's comment:

Clearly he believes Chip is being unfairly judged as disqualified from leadership over this poor "Christmas gift" choice. He wants to be loyal to someone he personally knows is not a rascist or an idiot but who has done something foolish and impolitic.

Huckabee wants to remind folks that he is not a bigot (the Obama statement again) and therefore should not be forced to take a litmus test of his purity on matters of racial inclusion by disavowing Chip.

Difficult place to be. Very small tight rope to walk.

We'll see how it goes down. :|

Mike Huckabee is being gracious and loyal to a friend. Too bad Chip didn't return the favor, first by not doing this in the first place, and then by apologizing. It's very difficult to ask people to accept an apology that has not been given.

Mike is standing on his own reputation on race relations, which is stellar. He is pointing out Chip's foolishness but leaving some room for Chip himself to apologize, or absent that, for Chip's next move to prove he's better than this. Mike says he is - and it's as if he's challenging Chip or telling us - watch the next move.

If the next move is all it should be, this could pass over. If the next move is hubris, or more of the same, even the longsuffering Mike Huckabee will lose patience.

Let's hope Chip is as good a friend as he has in Mike, and he earns this gracious statement.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:40 pm 
***** General

Liked: 653
The CD "Magic Negro" story was one of the featured "GRAPEVINE" pieces on FoxNEWS tonight. Clearly the tone was negative toward Chip with two quotes (Duncan and Steele) chastising him on his move. Appropriate.

No mention of Huckabee at all (even the "former campaign" aspect). Good.

There was linkage to Rush. As it should be.

"As for us, our days of combat are over. Our swords are rust. Our guns will thunder no more. The vultures that once wheeled over our heads must be buried with their prey. Whatever of glory must be won in the council or the closet, never again in the field. I do not repine. We have shared the incommunicable experience of war; we have felt, we still feel, the passion of life to its top."

Oliver Wendell Holmes

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:11 pm 
***** General

Liked: 0
While Mike did not go into details as to why the gift was inappropriate, in his very difficult position, less is more. A rebuke was neccessary, and as with Steele's correction, the caveat of a character testemonial was also provided.

Mike was also wise to re-emphasize his own platform on race.

It must have been difficult to chastise someone in some respects whomight be like a son to you.

I am 'satisfied' that he spoke to the issue, although there was a bit of a dodge with the lack of specificity.

Maybe when the heat of the moment is past, Mike can do a show that addresses why racial sesnitivity is so important.

His maiden, singing a victory song for faith, family and freedom
http://maidensong.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:27 pm 
***** General

Liked: 525
He needed to say something, and although I wish he had said more, I'm glad he said something.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:21 pm 
***** General

Liked: 259
Quote:
He needed to say something, and although I wish he had said more, I'm glad he said something.

I agree. Seems like a sentence or two was missing from the first paragraph. Like why that particular cd gift was inappropriate.

This story would have been lost by Saturday afternoon if Chip would have come out and apologized right away. The news from the mideast would have drowned it out. But by Chip putting out the defiant statement that he did, it made the story grow and become more visible.

Pride goeth before the fall...

http://ilikemikehuckabee2012.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:47 pm 
***** General

Liked: 0
It would have been difficult to spell out what was wrong about the gift, and yet defend Chip's judgement, which is actually indefensible.

To go into more detail would have been the equivelent of throwing Chip totally under the bus...it would paint chip as the only 'fool who didn't get it' I don't see how he could object more forcefully without seeming to betray his friend.

I am glad he indicated that the gift was inappropriate.

His maiden, singing a victory song for faith, family and freedom
http://maidensong.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:22 am 
*** General

Liked: 7
Note how they use a quote by Sarah Huckabee at the end to connect Mike to Chip with their "shared vision" for the GOP. Talk about "media bias"!
Also note this: Yarrow is a strong Democrat contributor and Obama supporter:
http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/12/27/ ... index.html

http://iowaindependent.com/
Quote:
Folk singer criticizes RNC hopeful for racially charged parody
By Lynda Waddington 12/29/08 10:43 AM

Peter Yarrow — the Peter in “Peter, Paul and Mary” — lashed out against Chip Saltsman, a front-runner for the chairmanship of the Republican National Committee, for including a racially charged parody of one of his band’s songs on a CD that Saltsman sent to committee members as a Christmas gift.

The song, “Barack the Magic Negro,” is a parody of the Peter, Paul and Mary tune “Puff the Magic Dragon” that was produced by Paul Shanklin, an associate of talk show host Rush Limbaugh.

“This is not only offensive, it is shocking and saddening in the extreme,” Yarrow said in an email interview with the Iowa Independent Saturday. “It flies in the face of America’s deeply held hope for a new era in which common ground and mutal respect characterize the exchanges between our national leaders.”

Yarrow said that he and co-writer of the song Lenny Lipton “have been eagerly awaiting an end to the mean-spiritedness, outright disrespect and bigotry that was commonplace prior to this last presidential election.”

“What might have been wearily accepted as ‘the way it was’ in the campaign is now unacceptable,” Yarrow said. “[Barack] Obama is not a candidate. He is the President-elect, and this song insults the office of the Presidency, the people who voted for him, as well as those who did not — and taking a children’s song and twisting it in such a vulgar, mean-spirited way, is a slur to our entire country and our common agreement to move beyond racism.”

Yarrow said it was “unimaginable” that Saltsman, who was the highest paid Republican campaign manager during the 2008 primary when he served for former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee, “would seriously be considered” for the RNC top post.

“Puff himself, if asked, would certainly agree,” Yarrow said.

The album is sold as comedy and Saltsman has defended sending it as a Christmas gift. ”I think most people recognize political satire when they see it,” he told CNN. On his own blog, Saltsman said that the media was using a double standard in their criticism of him.

The song has been a programming mainstay for Limbaugh since late 2007. He too, has defended playing the parody, noting that Obama was first characterized as a “Magic Negro” by a liberal writer in March 2007 who likened Obama’s appeal to whites to the appeal of Hollywood actors like Sidney Poitier and Morgan Freeman.

In addition to serving as Huckabee’s campaign manager, Saltsman was the head of the Tennessee Republican Party and worked with former Sen. Bill Frist of Tennessee. Huckabee has made telephone calls in support of Saltsman for the RNC position.

Sarah Huckabee, the former Arkansas governor’s chief spokeswoman and daughter, told Marc Ambinder that her father is supporting Saltsman because he believes his former campaign manager “shares his vision on how to move the party forward.”

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:33 am 
***** General

Liked: 190
Did we expect anything else from cnn?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:13 am 
Site Admin

Liked: 782
tpetersel wrote:
While Mike did not go into details as to why the gift was inappropriate, in his very difficult position, less is more. A rebuke was neccessary, and as with Steele's correction, the caveat of a character testimonial was also provided.

Mike was also wise to re-emphasize his own platform on race.

It must have been difficult to chastise someone in some respects who might be like a son to you.

I am 'satisfied' that he spoke to the issue, although there was a bit of a dodge with the lack of specificity.

Maybe when the heat of the moment is past, Mike can do a show that addresses why racial sesnitivity is so important.

tpetersel, I agree with each of your points here. The first paragraph of Gov. Huckabee's comment could have been a little longer, but really, what more could he say that would allow him to be loyal to Chip and critical of the stupid gift at the same time? Mike must be grieving too, as he watches the man who helped his campaign so much "go down" -- the talented, confident man a decade younger than Mike who should be (should have been if it's over) the up and coming strategist for the Republican Party! And I am sure he was like a son or family member in many ways to Mike and Janet Huckabee. They owed much of their political success to his bold strategies.

Debbie wrote:
Political people were already waiting to see what Huckabee had to say: Politico already found Huckabee's statement:
http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/

Quote:
Huck weighs in

Mike Huckabee, in a written statement, gently chided his former campaign manager, Chip Saltsman, having for distributing a CD including the song, "Barack the Magic Negro."

Chip should have been more careful in his selection of Christmas gifts, but no one who knows him would ever suggest that he in any way would purposely disparage other people. Chip knows how sensitive such issues are. It shouldn’t be the main factor in the RNC race.

The election of Barack Obama is not only historic for our country but it is something all Americans, not just Democrats, should celebrate. As I have said many times the election of Mr. Obama is significant not because of his race or in spite of it, but with indifference to it. He was not my choice for President, but he will be MY President over the next four years and I will support him personally and pray for his success. I will certainly disagree with him at times, but I pledge that my disagreements with him will be over his policy decisions and not aimed at him personally. I ask that all of you will join with me in doing that.

This is a direct quote from HuckPac! It reminds me of the importance in how we comment on that blogsite, particularly, and maybe even on here. The nation is watching, and maybe even the world, though there are much more troubling emergencies going on in many countries (a coup in Guinea, Jihadist killings in Pakistan, Mexican drug lords kidnapping and killing, Gaza rocketing Israel). And the sadness of the case with Chip Saltsman is that he had probably felt up until the publicity on this, his unwise CD gift, that he had pretty good chances of getting the RNC Chair positition.

Nothing keeps a grown man up at night or makes him cry privately like opportunity lost, and knowing in his heart that he made a foolish mistake that it is very hard for a confident person to admit. Please pray for Chip Saltsman to "do the right thing" now and for him to find the grace to apologize. He is too good a man not to be refreshed by repentance. I really do not think he is very deeply prejudiced, just a little ignorant like many of us of what might offend, or how much.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:30 am 
***** General

Liked: 440
Well said, Justgrace. I had said something similar to my IowaBrigade mates that as wrong as Chip was at doing this really dumb mistake, I can't help but feel sorry for him for working this hard to get to where he was and then blowing it all with a dumb or careless mistake. I also felt that Mike must be very sad over this and I felt bad that Mike's well-deserved week of rest was shattered by what must have been a very frustrating, sad, and disappointing error by a close friend.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:43 am 
***** General

Liked: 169
In response to Gov. Huckabee's statement on HuckPAC, here is what I posted there:
Quote:
Thank you, Gov. Huckabee, for speaking out about this unfortunate episode.

As I read your statement, it sounds like you are saying: you support Chip personally, but also would gently criticize him for his poor choice in a gift.

I confess, I don't have time or energy to work through the subtleties of how or why the song and the CD are somehow "not" offensive. But you know what? Neither do 99.99% of Americans, eitrher.

Ben Dribus (whom I respect very much) wote:
Quote:
The media has become so brazen in their misrepresentation of the facts that it requires extraordinary knowledge and effort on the part of citizens to recognize their agenda. Any decent person would naturally react to the way the media portrayed this story by condemning Saltsman. It takes considerable prior knowledge together with research to see through it.

Don’t be fooled!

If the song and the CD are so easily misunderstood by the vast majority of voters, or by "any decent person," then Chip Saltsman should never have sent them.

Chip's real Christmas gift was when he foolishly handed the liberals the ammunition they'll use to shoot him -- and the GOP, and Mike Huckabee.

I'm frustrated and disappointed in Chip's costly lapse of judgment, and by his unwillingness to accept responsibility and simply apologize.

This past year, I've spent probably 400 to 500 hours working my fanny off as an unpaid volunteer for Mike Huckabee. It was a privilege, a labor of love, and a real fight out there. I spent a lot of things I didn't have to spare -- time, money, and energy -- because I so completely believe in Mike Huckabee and the values he's so gifted at espousing.

Most of my work was spent late at night, posting pro-Huckabee comments on blogs, political commentary sites, and news stories. I typed until I literally fell out of my chair with exhaustion. I STILL find myself posting pro-Huckabee comments on blogs and news stories about him or about the past year's election.

I was always so proud to write that Mike Huckabee truly cares about the poor and minorities, and that he worked hard to earn 68% of the black vote in Arkansas.

It makes me really mad to see Mike (and his good record) unfairly damaged by his association with someone who would do something this ill-considered and insensitive.

I can already see the snarky blog posts we're going to encounter if Mike runs again: "Yeah, that Huckabee guy (a Southern governor) endorsed his racist, bigoted campaign manager, Chip Saltsman."

If you're a public figure, and you're about to do something that might offend someone, DON'T DO IT. It doesn't matter whether those folks "should" be offended ---- if they MIGHT be offended, then it's a bad idea. Especially if defending it requires an "inside baseball"-type explanation with back stories that only experts and political hacks could understand or appreciate.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:19 am 
***** General

Liked: 13
Wow!

This thread just keeps going and going.

And, I'm working so much right now, at the wrong time, to try to catch up. But, I wanna add some more general thoughts in light of much of what has been said, and has developed, and in light of what I've written.

First of all, lemme say that my last couple of posts were an attempt to explore the deeper meaning behind the parody --i.e. the original article, and Rush's seizing on it. It seems clear to me, however, that that tangent was too much of a diversion from the theme of thread --which is Chip (and the effect on Mike), and also the effect on the GOP.

But, I wanna be clear. While I thought/think the concept of "NM" was/is fascinating (i.e., is Barack Obama the politician a Will Smith type character come to life?)

I never thought the song was in anyway appropriate, or had any redeeming qualities. In fact, as I tried to suggest previously the song actually detracts from the more serious discussion of whether Barack Obama is indeed a mythical political savior of white America.

And, it does this detraction at a high cost. As TVV said, this is Rush being unwise, and racially insensitive. One needn't be "PC" to think so. And, I don't think TVV is PC, or overlysensitive about the song.

I think so, too. And I depise PC. I have a self-conscious stubborness to resist hyphenations, or alernating inserting a generic "she" in written prose, (it also annoys me to have to use "Ms.").

And, really I don't have problem using the word negro when writing prose, when I think the context warrants it, usually in intellectual arguments, which are historically contexted. IOW, sometimes in those situations it seems less anachronistic.

I don't ever use it audibly. (Though former Ford Adminstration transportation Sec. William Coleman said, in the 1990s, he preferred "negro".)

I suppose I might if I were giving a speech on the Emancipation Proclamation. I think it sounds more historically authentic to say Lincoln freed the negro slaves, then Lincoln freed the African-Americans.

Having said all that, I agree that this CD doesn't define Chip as to the whole of his life. But, that really isn't the point.

If it were another season, another year, the stupidity of it would be of a lower grade, even if the taste was still poor. IOW, if it were the late 80s and a Jesse Jackson impersonator was making fun of Cliff Huxtable (of Cosby show fame), it would be barely a footnote on Headline News.

But, as TVV has pointed out, Chip knows the controversy which was caused by Rush initially.

And, Chip knows what Mike Huckabee was/is all about.

Mike has caught heat for saying "lets cut Jeremiah Wright some slack" (which was a hard thing to hear, but Mike was correct. It was Obama who deserved no slack, imo).

It was Mike who was noted for a magnificiant speech on the 40th anniversary of the Little Rock Nine --not Bill Clinton.

And, it was Mike who was the lionhearted at the Morgan State forum last year. This is something I neglected to mention in Hucks Army. That was the night that I made the final switch from a Brownback supporter to a Huckabee supporter. That night Mike became my hero.

Which brings me back to the subject of Mike Huckabee saying something about this matter. I agree with TVV that Mike had to say something. And, I'm glad he did. (And, my very first post in this thread, I said Mike had to say something short.)

But, there has been a lot of anguish in this thread of how much and how strong Mike's statement should be. And, rightly so. I think Mike feels this exact same anguish. Which is to say, this isn't a freebie. If he says nothing that hurts. Hurts him, and hurts us who expect leadership from him.

But, on the other hand, imo, there is a very great danger that Mike could say too much (not really thinking of Chip, here). IOW, if Mike makes too big of a deal, then it looks like he is apologizing and that he --Mike-- is guilty of something. IOW, many loud words from Mike add fuel or fodder to the story.

But, on the other hand, again, there is a larger more grand reason why Mike has/had to say something, and I don't think its because of "his chances in 2012". Rather, its something far more important.

As we have discussed here in a variety of ways, Mike Huckabee is the ONLY Republican of national reputation, and thus the virtually only one at all, who can lead the GOP out of its racially segregated wilderness. No black Republican can do this, at least not to the extent Mike can.

So, whether many GOPers realize or not Mike Huckabee is the racial reconcilation public conscience of the GOP pushing them/us to "Do The Right Thing."

If he didn't say something we'd say...

Where have you gone, Gov. Huckabee?
Our nation turns its lonely eyes to you.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:12 pm 
***** General

Liked: 40
VertiCon, you're so right. This matter was a seminal moment, very important, and Gov. Huckabee was in a very unique and tenuous position. He could have, as you said, said too little - or too much.

He has a role no other notable Republican has at this point, in terms of race relations. It sets him apart from other leaders in the GOP (many of whom I respect, like, and would support otherwise). It is the area not as many know about him (the debates kept asking him Bible questions, and didn't showcase who he was, though a lot 'came through' nonetheless, and he has a high level of respect from liberals who are used to hating conservatives).

As I think over what Mike wrote, it was very wise. It was the kind of thing a pastor would do. And I expected that he would draw more upon that reservoir in his life than upon his governor reserves, because it needed that kind of wisdom.

It's an over-the-top parallel (I'm just referring to the principle here, not the personalities), but I kept thinking (even before Mike posted) of the Apostle Paul-Philemon letter. If you're familiar with that tiny book of the Bible, it's a letter from the imprisoned Paul to a man named Philemon, in regards to his runaway slave, Onesimus.

Paul tells Philemon (a fellow believer) that Onesimus is now also a believer, and that Paul himself has forgiven him and considers him a partner. The inference is that Onesimus robbed Philemon.

Anyway, Paul doesn't come right out and say "Forgive him. Set him free. Make him a brother. You are not acting as a Christian should."

Instead, he uses a more subtle approach. He says what he has done - that he views him as now profitable (Onesimus' name means 'unprofitable'), and that he, Paul, would repay Philemon anything that Onesimus may have owed him.

Then he says, "Having confidence in your obedience, I wrote to you, knowing that you will do even more than I say." Many have believed this is the best proof text for how Paul viewed the Christian response to slavery, in fact - that if a Christian treats a slave as a brother, he would in no way keep him as a slave.

Anyway - please don't think I am saying this incident approaches slavery, or that Mike is the apostle Paul, or that Chip must be in obedience to Mike. I simply mean that this kind of mature Christian wisdom was evidenced by Mike, as he wrote - not only to us of Huckpac and Huck'sArmy or even the internet readers - he wrote to Chip -

when he wrote about his views about race, and this president, and how he feels about it all - he was writing Chip. Subtly, fatherly, wisely -

I could almost hear him saying 'do more than I say. Do the right thing.'

Just my thoughts.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:50 pm 
***** General

Liked: 215
Donna Jean, you have always been gracious and wise with all of your posts, but lately you have had a lot of insightful posts. Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:26 pm 
Brigadier Geneal

Liked: 84
keneikirk wrote:
Donna Jean, you have always been gracious and wise with all of your posts, but lately you have had a lot of insightful posts. Thanks.

I think that is one statement in which we probably will all agree. :D There is also a member of HuckPac that has addressed this situation in a similiar way. Her display name is Ms Obvious Lee. Most of the time, these two say exactly what I want to say.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 217 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next