Hucks Army - Faith. Family. Freedom. [Grassroots] JOIN HUCKS ARMY | GET INVOLVED | FUNDRAISING | LINKS | LEADERSHIP | ABOUT
It is currently Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 217 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:39 pm 
*** General

Liked: 7
See the article I just posted below your post. I enlarged and bolded Newt's powerful comments about Chip...
I also told Saul Anuzius, our Michigan GOP Chair, who is also in the running for GOP Chair, that I thought it was inappropriate for him to comment about another candidate until he has had a chance to publicly make a statement. Our GOP candidates should not be "at" each other. That is just what the DNC wants!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:43 pm 
***** General

Liked: 40
Debra wrote:
See the article I just posted below your post. I enlarged and bolded Newt's powerful comments about Chip...
I also told Saul Anuzius, our Michigan GOP Chair, who is also in the running for GOP Chair, that I thought it was inappropriate for him to comment about another candidate until he has had a chance to publicly make a statement. Our GOP candidates should not be "at" each other. That is just what the DNC wants!

Thanks, Debra!

Also - when you say he (Anuzius? or Gingrich?) shouldn't comment until 'he' has had a chance to publicly make a statement, do you mean Saltzman? I'm not arguing with you :D just trying to understand - hasn't Chip already commented on this, saying it was a parody, etc.?

Just wanted to know what you meant. Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:49 pm 
***** General

Liked: 259
from hotair.com:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/politico/20081227/pl_politico/27562
Blackwell defends Saltsman:

Quote:
AP Ken Blackwell, the former Ohio secretary of state who appears to be leading in the race to become the next chairman of the Republican National Committee, is defending a rival who distributed a CD containing a song called "Barack the Magic Negro," and dismissing criticism as a sign of media "hypersensitivity" to race.

The rival, former Huckabee aide Chip Saltsman, came under fire today from the sitting Republican Party chairman, Mike Duncan, who said he was "shocked and appalled" by the move, Mike Allen reported.

"Unfortunately, there is hypersensitivity in the press regarding matters of race. This is in large measure due to President-Elect Obama being the first African-American elected president," said Blackwell, who would be the first black RNC chairman, in a statement forwarded to Politico by an aide. "I don't think any of the concerns that have been expressed in the media about any of the other candidates for RNC chairman should disqualify them. When looked at in the proper context, these concerns are minimal. All of my competitors for this leadership post are fine people."

The Republican Party is struggling to find support from non-white voters, and some of its leaders have called for a new sensitivity to race and racism, allegations of which have surfaced before in the insider-dominated contest to chair the GOP. Saltsman has defended the song as a "light-hearted" parody.

Another candidate for the job, Michigan Republican Party Chairman Saul Anuzis, condemned Saltsman's remarks, which he said in an email are "not my idea of appropriate humor."

"In my opinion, this isn't funny and its in bad taste," he said. "Just as important, anything that paints the GOP as being motivated in our criticism of President-elect Obama by anything other than a difference in philosophy does a disservice to our party."

http://ilikemikehuckabee2012.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:01 pm 
*** General

Liked: 7
Blackwell, a black man himself, defending Saltsman, is HUGE. He sets the example for real leadership for the GOP!
Debbie wrote:
"Unfortunately, there is hypersensitivity in the press regarding matters of race. This is in large measure due to President-Elect Obama being the first African-American elected president," said Blackwell, who would be the first black RNC chairman, in a statement forwarded to Politico by an aide. "I don't think any of the concerns that have been expressed in the media about any of the other candidates for RNC chairman should disqualify them. When looked at in the proper context, these concerns are minimal. All of my competitors for this leadership post are fine people."

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:18 pm 
***** General

Liked: 225
I am really shocked by all that I am reading here. I had hoped that our nation had not been conquered by the politically correct mindset.... but it looks like that day has come and gone. This is not personally directed at anyone, but when one speaks the words "I'm offended.." I look on it as a sign of weakness. "Oh, I heard a song that had a naughty word in it...I'm outraged!! :cry: :cry: People should be more sensitive to me." :roll: Cry me a river. And Speaker Gingrich, give me a break! I didn't hear you criticizing Rush when he played the song...it's only 'so inappropriate' when it involves someone besides his preferred candidate for RNC Chairman.... Mr. Duncan, shocked and appalled? How shocking can it be when the song has been out for over a year?

So we should all be offended that Chip distributed this "hate speech", right? Well how far do you want to take this? We should also be offended by the 1000's of radio stations across the country that broadcast the song repeatedly. Call the FCC, posthaste!....Definitely we need to chastise any person who downloaded an episode of Rush which contained the song. Oh and also, anybody who heard the song and didn't come out and denounce it should be sent immediately to sensitivity training, and make sure they are blacklisted from ever getting a job in public service. And maybe they should all apologize to Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson. After all, we're talking about the emotion well-being of everyone who was hurt by this vicious slander; this putrid, insulting, melodic weapon of mass destruction.

OH, to live in a world where we no longer fear being 'offended' by such brutes!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:26 pm 
***** General

Liked: 0
Hopefully Ken's support is legit, and not just a political manoever to co-opt Chip's support if this does indeed take him out of the running.

Truth be told, if Chip is out because of this, and Steele is 'questionable' because of some of his moderate associations, Blackwell would probably be next in line for my support, unless there is something that should disqualify him in our book?

His maiden, singing a victory song for faith, family and freedom
http://maidensong.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:32 pm 
***** General

Liked: 525
I do not understand what's wrong with saying "Barack the Magic NEGRO" is "not my idea of appropriate humor." Let me ask now - is this anyone here's idea of ideal humor?

I don't think there's anything wrong with condemning foolish statements and actions. Actually, you can do that without condemning a person. I don't think Chip is necessarily a bad guy and though the title of the song both angers me personally and makes me a little uncomfortable with how anyone can think it's a nice tune, it's not like it was the worst insult ever recorded. But it's an insult, to me and to many others of all races, nontheless. For that reason alone, it should not be propogated around - and that should have been clear from the media crap storm that started flying around in early 2007 when Rush aired it. I've blogged about the "Magic Negro" on a number of occasions, and it's something that I don't find funny. For God's sake, don't anyone tell me that I shouldn't be offended. I know best what bugs me and that bugs the heck out of me.

Obviously, not everyone in any large group of people agrees on everything. All of us are individuals. And so, Ken Blackwell is an individual who has the opinion that the negative reaction to the song is a result of oversensitivity. I would guestimate that the majority of people of all ethnicities disagree with that opinion and from this, I would not rely on him as a barometer for public opinion on this issue.

I think it helps the GOP for people to know that there are people in the party leadership who disaprove of the comments. I think that the idea that it's disloyal to publicly disagree with something someone else does - especially when it hurts the whole party - is foolish. I'll tell you right now that if in 2002, when Trent Lott made those comments, had President Bush not taken a leadership role and condemning the comments (which, by the way, I'm not comparing to this situation, just providing context), I would never have voted for Bush in 2004 or supported Huckabee in 2008. I wouldn't be here and never would have been blogging and working for Republicans. I needed to know that despite the fact that some people didn't see "what the big deal was" about that kind of thing that there were many others in leadership who got it and thought that everybody should be respected.

You can choose to think that everybody is just being oversensitive and that the general issue of avoiding racially offensive gestures, no matter how good a guy it is who does it or how many people may think it's funny, is just a distraction. And the GOP can go on and maintain the status quo and listen to a subset of the already very small portion of minorities who support the party who say the same thing. And when in 2010 and 2012, the consequences of the continued paucity of support among minorities, young people, and many whites, who do see this is a problem, you might want to spare the ponderings about why whole groups of people won't vote for the Republican Party. The party brand is broken in the eyes of the majority of several major segments of the population and some people, including some well-meaning people doing foolish things, continue to do things to make sure that it never recovers. And too many people still don't see this. God Bless. Later.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:42 pm 
***** General

christopher.wilkerson wrote:
I am really shocked by all that I am reading here. I had hoped that our nation had not been conquered by the politically correct mindset.... but it looks like that day has come and gone. This is not personally directed at anyone, but when one speaks the words "I'm offended.." I look on it as a sign of weakness. "Oh, I heard a song that had a naughty word in it...I'm outraged!! :cry: :cry: People should be more sensitive to me." :roll: Cry me a river. And Speaker Gingrich, give me a break! I didn't hear you criticizing Rush when he played the song...it's only 'so inappropriate' when it involves someone besides his preferred candidate for RNC Chairman.... Mr. Duncan, shocked and appalled? How shocking can it be when the song has been out for over a year?

So we should all be offended that Chip distributed this "hate speech", right? Well how far do you want to take this? We should also be offended by the 1000's of radio stations across the country that broadcast the song repeatedly. Call the FCC, posthaste!....Definitely we need to chastise any person who downloaded an episode of Rush which contained the song. Oh and also, anybody who heard the song and didn't come out and denounce it should be sent immediately to sensitivity training, and make sure they are blacklisted from ever getting a job in public service. And maybe they should all apologize to Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson. After all, we're talking about the emotion well-being of everyone who was hurt by this vicious slander; this putrid, insulting, melodic weapon of mass destruction.

OH, to live in a world where we no longer fear being 'offended' by such brutes!

There's a big difference between being offended - a legitimate emotion - and wanting to shut people up. You can use me as the example - I am offended by that stupid song "Barack the Magic NEGRO." Does this mean that I want to blacklist anyone? Does it mean that I want to stop anyone from being able to speak? No. I defend everyone's right to speak. I defend everyone's right to have a radio program as long as the market supports it. The government shouldn't be in the business of regulating speech.

But let's turn this around for a second. Who here was offended by Reverend Wright's attempt to associate America with the Klan? (NOTE: I am NOT comparing that with the Limbaugh song - just going down another road to provide context). I definitely was. Let's just say, for argument's sake that this is all that he ever said - the only stupid sound clip that Wright had ever uttered. But he said that disrespectful term for our country and then, even after he knew it bothered people and was disrespectful to everyone, he kept saying it. And let's just say that he had been invited to say the prayer for the Democratic National Committee, along with Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson, men who have all been known to make insensitive and downright stupid comments about whites. And this happened over a period of time. Wouldn't you be offended that a few too many people in the Democratic Party weren't bothered by that type of talk? No one was bothered enough to speak up and publicly condemn it.

I think honestly that we have to grow to the point where if someone says that something offends them, we take their word for it and respect their ability to have valid feelings that we might not agree with. We have to understand that we're all limited in our ability to view an issue from another person's vantage point (any married people out there - hello?) There are things that might offend you if you heard them that I might view a different way entirely. But it doesn't mean that it's not offensive to you. And if it doesn't need to be said, it would be in the best interests of peace and harmony for me not to say it. And if I do say it, I should just apologize and not say it again. That's it. Very simple. Chip should have done this - if he had, his situation would have already have been at least a little better.

Isn't it just as likely that some people are being insensitive as it is that others are being oversensitive? And it could be a little of both.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:49 pm 
***** General

Liked: 653
This is not a test of Chip's soul nor whether people sould or shouldn't be offended. This is about whether Chip has what the GOP needs.

Is he politic? Was this politic?

Quote:
pol·i·tic (pl-tk)
adj.
1. Using or marked by prudence, expedience, and shrewdness; artful.
2. Using, displaying, or proceeding from policy; judicious: a politic decision.
3. Crafty; cunning.

Is this choice a politic act for a candidate for leadership of a political party? I suppose it could be if the highest purpose of the GOP is the right to mock. Well don't be surprised if the targets of this mocking might be confused as to the GOP's greater purpose and goodwill for all Americans. They might even take offense. They might even take offense at being told they have no right to be offended.

There are sooooo many other issues I would rather spend capital on if we are to offend the sensibilities of millions of Americans.

Here are ten random topics that would also risk offending many:

1.) Abortion law should be defined at the state level (repeal Roe v. Wade).

2.) Life begins at conception and should be protected regardless of whether the conception was wanted, unwanted, or the result of force.

3.) Marriage is between a man and a woman exclusively.

4.) Homosexuality is a crime against the laws of God and nature and should be restricted by law.

5.) Marriages should only be dissolved as the result of a judgement of cause. (no more no-fault).

6.) Gambling is destructive to the work ethic and society and should not be promoted by the state through lotteries.

7.) Accountability is needed to protect the capitalist system - therefore all senior managers and above of bailed-out institutions are ineligible for further employment in any company so relieved of its financial obligations by the government.

8.) The Federal government should be required to balance the budget.

9.) The income Tax system has failed and should be replaced with a Fair Tax.

10.) Barak the Magic Negro and Star Spanglish Banner are funny Christmas classics and those offended have only themselves to blame for their lack of humor.

All of these are potentially very impolitic at the moment though some are true and must be fought for regardless of cost.
So which of these impolitic topics are we asked to dig in and defend thanks to Chip (and Rush)?

We are paying a price for talk radio and this issue exposes it.

TheValuesVoter - of course you should be offended. I'm offended as an e pluribus unum American. Mostly though I'm mad at the cluelessness of clever wits who have no idea of the damage they do:

Proverbs 26:
Quote:
18 Like a madman shooting
firebrands or deadly arrows

19 is a man who deceives his neighbor
and says, "I was only joking!"

"As for us, our days of combat are over. Our swords are rust. Our guns will thunder no more. The vultures that once wheeled over our heads must be buried with their prey. Whatever of glory must be won in the council or the closet, never again in the field. I do not repine. We have shared the incommunicable experience of war; we have felt, we still feel, the passion of life to its top."

Oliver Wendell Holmes

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:45 pm 
***** General

Liked: 440
TheValuesVoter wrote:
I do not understand what's wrong with saying "Barack the Magic NEGRO" is "not my idea of appropriate humor." Let me ask now - is this anyone here's idea of ideal humor?

No, I don't find it a bit funny. I'm offended and I'm not black. Not only do I not find it funny, it angers me.

Disclaimer: I also have never liked the song about Grandma being run over by a reindeer. :D

I have a huge sense of humor, but don't find a lot of things funny that even my brothers and sons do. I am often offended by what others find humorous and often times have to have the joke explained to me.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:52 pm 
***** General

chapelccino wrote:
It's up on Foxnews.com's homepage.

And every time I've read an article about this, I've read Mike Huckabee's name and his association with Chip, listed prominently. Not publicity I'd like, if I were Mike.

And - since MIke has endorsed Chip for this position, I think it would be a display of leadership for him (Mike) to address this.

I also find that whole 'silence' thing (by the Republican party) disturbing. If a Congressman or Senator or GOP higher-up thinks the CD is in the vein of past parodies, and that it was done with humor and should be seen as such, then stand up and say so, publicly and clearly. If, on the other hand, a GOP elected official thinks it's in bad taste, stupid, and/or offensive, then stand up and say so.

It appears - by the silence - that the entire party is a) busy celebrating Christmas and New Year's with friends and family, or (more likely) b) scared to death of offending El Rushbo, the Maha whatever he's called, the Grand Pooh-bah of the Party That Lost. That would bother me more than taking a stand either way - the thought that they're scared to say anything that is not in line with Rush. It's as if they're awaiting their talking points from him, and they can't get those until at least Monday at noon, or later, if Rush is on vacation.

When Rush played this, it bugged me. I realized the history behind the song, where it originated, and all that. But I also knew that not everyone would know that, and that there were far better ways (for Rush and for Paul Shanklin) to get across what he was trying to say than that way.

But 'even if' - even if - Chip is so deep into political-world-thinking that he forgets that the rest of the population wouldn't see/hear it that way, and even if he figured that, as track 41 (as has been said by adamelijah), it wasn't the main point of this, and even if he didn't realize that it would/could offend people on the Republican side -

even if all that is true, that does not speak well of him, as a potential leader of the party. Even if he meant it as parody, it shows a serious lack of discernment at worst, and a lack of secretarial assistants (who should have been paying attention to such details) at best. Not good.

If he is running to have his own late night political comedy TV show, he's doing great. If he is running to be someone who uses the power of words to communicate that we have a better message, one that reaches all people, and that is the best for the American people -

then he failed that test, big-time.

I really appreciate your perspective and agree with you.

I think a lot of people are afraid to upset Rush or to upset people who think that showing respect to everybody is "pandering." Sometimes, silence is golden. And sometimes it's just yellow.

Mike has a lot of wisdom and deep respect from a lot of people and I hope he comments soon. He is a true leader and people will value his perspective. He also has a way of attacking issues without attacking or belittling people and can address the issue of the insensitivity without throwing Chip "under the bus." When I say I want to hear from him, I'm not talking about him bad mouthing Chip as a person, dragging it out longer, or even talking about the RNC Chairmanship aspect of things. But he really should say something about the underlying matter of the song, given all the work he's done to make inclusiveness part of his life and campaigns.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:13 am 
***** General

Liked: 259
I too will be interested to see how Huckabee responds to this. He seems like the perfect person to make a statement given his great outreach to african americans and hispanics both as a governor, pastor, and presidential candidate.

In Huckabee's book, page 61 he talks about the Morgan State University debate where
Quote:
"he was embarrassed that most of the GOP candidates had chosen to ignore this opportunity to show that we really were the party with a message of hope and opportunity for African Americans. Our "marquee players" had not only insulted and shown their disrespect for the African American community, but had only solidified the "we don't care about you image that has dogged Republicans in relation to the black community." ... "The fact that I showed up and answered the questions with knowledge, passion, and compassion opened many doors to nontraditional Republicans and spoke to middle-class Americans across the country..."... "I was the only Republican who went to St. Louis and appeared at the Urban league meeting as well"

http://ilikemikehuckabee2012.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:17 am 
General

Liked: 52
Wow. Yesterday was one of the rarest-of-days in which I did not get to check in here at Hucks Army. I drove 6hr up to see my brother in SC, and I was unable to get onto the wireless network at my friends' house last night when I tried. I just returned late this evening (after my 6hr trip became a 7-1/2 hr trip due to post-Christmas traffic), and I was so disappointed to learn this news.

Although I still support Chip for the RNC chair position, this was very poor judgment on Chip's part, IMO. Wish he had not sent this gift!

HuckPAC donor code R23742

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:23 am 
***** General

Liked: 190
Gingrich has his own agenda....like running for president in 2012! I think that Mike cut Obama some slack so many times, always giving him the benefit of the doubt (like Rev. Wright and the other associations and the lipstick on the pig comment) that to come out too strong against Saltsman, who clearly states he was making a lighthearted parody would also make him look bad to some. (lack of loyalty, tossing him under the bus, giving more slack to the democrats than his own party, etc.) They can think of all kinds of reasons to dislike Huck. This is a lose/lose situation. Probably best to be quiet and hope it goes away.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:23 am 
***** General

Debbie wrote:
I too will be interested to see how Huckabee responds to this. He seems like the perfect person to make a statement given his great outreach to african americans and hispanics both as a governor, pastor, and presidential candidate.

In Huckabee's book, page 61 he talks about the Morgan State University debate where
Quote:
"he was embarrassed that most of the GOP candidates had chosen to ignore this opportunity to show that we really were the party with a message of hope and opportunity for African Americans. Our "marquee players" had not only insulted and shown their disrespect for the African American community, but had only solidified the "we don't care about you image that has dogged Republicans in relation to the black community." ... "The fact that I showed up and answered the questions with knowledge, passion, and compassion opened many doors to nontraditional Republicans and spoke to middle-class Americans across the country..."... "I was the only Republican who went to St. Louis and appeared at the Urban league meeting as well"

I agree. But he does need to say something. I talked to my wife about this and about how at least others in the RNC had criticized the song. Her question to me: "what has Huckabee said about it?" I didn't have an answer to give and I'd like to.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:26 am 
General

Liked: 52
Chip's latest blog post on his website today:
Quote:
December 27, 2008 06:05 PM
The Media's Double Standards
Chip Saltsman

Liberal Democrats and their allies in the media didn't utter a word about David Ehrenstein's irresponsible column in the Los Angeles Times last March. But now, of course, they're shocked and appalled by its parody on the Rush Limbaugh Show.

I firmly believe that we must welcome all Americans into our party and that the road to Republican resurgence begins with unity, not division. But I know that our party leaders should stand up against the media's double standards and refuse to pander to their desire for scandal.

http://www.chipsaltsman.com/index.cfm?Fuseaction=Blogs.View&Blog_id=cc9ca87e-21b2-4120-ba35-f4427f284f22&Label_id=&Year=&Month=
Here is the link to the Ehrenestein column (when I copied Chip's blog post, it obviously didn't automatically link like it does at his site):
http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/la-oe-ehrenstein19mar19,0,5335087.story?coll=la-opinion-center

HuckPAC donor code R23742

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:31 am 
***** General

nrobyar wrote:
Gingrich has his own agenda....like running for president in 2012! I think that Mike cut Obama some slack so many times, always giving him the benefit of the doubt (like Rev. Wright and the other associations and the lipstick on the pig comment) that to come out too strong against Saltsman, who clearly states he was making a lighthearted parody would also make him look bad to some. (lack of loyalty, tossing him under the bus, giving more slack to the democrats than his own party, etc.) They can think of all kinds of reasons to dislike Huck. This is a lose/lose situation. Probably best to be quiet and hope it goes away.

I think that's exactly the wrong thing to do. And that will hurt Huckabee more than him speaking up.

He doesn't have to verbally bludgeon Chip. Chip made a stupid mistake that was inexplicibly insensitive. Huck could talk about the fact that this type of thing doesn't help the Republican Party and that Chip is a good guy but that he wishes he hadn't done that and that the Republican Party needs to quickly learn to not tolerate things that offend large groups of people. And the fact that Huckabee managed to criticize Wright's statements but not bludgeon Obama means that he already has a record for being able to attack stupid and insensitive remarks while still showing kindness to people. He should do the same with this situation.

But if he just tries to say nothing, the failure to speak up when someone who had been associated with him, whom he endorsed, makes a mistake that hurts the party image, it will undermine some of the good will that he's built up with some. You can attack a mistake without clobbering the person who makes it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:44 am 
***** General

marybunton wrote:
Quote:
Chip Saltsman

Liberal Democrats and their allies in the media didn't utter a word about David Ehrenstein's irresponsible column in the Los Angeles Times last March. But now, of course, they're shocked and appalled by its parody on the Rush Limbaugh Show.

I firmly believe that we must welcome all Americans into our party and that the road to Republican resurgence begins with unity, not division. But I know that our party leaders should stand up against the media's double standards and refuse to pander to their desire for scandal.

http://www.chipsaltsman.com/index.cfm?Fuseaction=Blogs.View&Blog_id=cc9ca87e-21b2-4120-ba35-f4427f284f22&Label_id=&Year=&Month=
Here is the link to the Ehrenestein column (when I copied Chip's blog post, it obviously didn't automatically link like it does at his site):
http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/la-oe-ehrenstein19mar19,0,5335087.story?coll=la-opinion-center

BAD MOVE, CHIP.

I am not a liberal and I am not a Democrat. I am a conservative who is a black person who did not apprecitate it in 2007 when Rush Limbaugh (the guy who gave me tons of laughs with the "spade" and "hoe", the new term "Half-rican American" and other belly-aches) aired a song with the title of that article set to music and a white guy mocked an Al Sharpton accent, complete with "de" in place of "the" in some places. I wasn't laughting then and neither were a lot of other people, and being a person who watched the news, he must have known that. But then he copies it and sends it to a bunch of his RNC peers. And when it becomes a scandal, instead of just apologizing and trying to put it to rest that way, he continues to defend it??

THE MEDIA didn't create the CD with your picture on it, with "Barack The Magic NEGRO" on the cover of it - after last year's controversy with Rush's program - and then pass it around. The Media wouldn't have had anything to talk about except for the snow and the inauguration if you hadn't given them this story, dude. Your former clients certainly didn't ask to be dragged into this.

I know, I know. I'm oversensitive. I've been influenced by the liberal media. I have no right to be offended. I'm wrong for being P.O'd. I'm sorry.

But, in case the question ever pops up again, THIS is why the GOP will never gain traction outside of its core demographic - whites, primarily in the south, primarily over age 29 - until it at least stops digging the hole deeper.

He really needs to get a clue. I've lost a lot of respect for him.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:51 am 
***** General

marybunton wrote:
Quote:
Chip Saltsman

Double standard? Yes. Refuse to pander to their desire for scandal? Yes. Apologize for an error in judgment? Yehhh...

Oh, wait, he forgot that part.

Sigh.

"They do it, too" - or worse, "They do it, too, and nobody gets mad at them" while sounding so whiny, is true - and (as the commenter put it on Chip's blog) irrelevant.

It's especially irrelevant when the GOP (the head position of which is what he's running for) has a reputation (fair or unfair) of being insensitive to the needs of minorities.

Let's think of it another way. Would Mike Huckabee play this parody in his parody segment on his show? And if not (given that he has a very good sense of humor in that area, and appreciates political parody), why not? Because - it's tasteless. Because if there's an underlying point to it, there is a better way to get that point across (and, let's be real - how many people who hear that song 'get' the supposed point of it? How many people who hear that song know the supposed point of it? Probably some do. And probably others are delighted to listen to a song that they think derides Obama for his color - because secretly, or not so secretly, they are prejudiced against him for that reason. Yes, folks, there are people out there who are biased against Obama for that reason. Either way, Chip should have made his mark a better way than this. This was unwise at best, and he should own up to it. This is not the hill he should fight on.)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:04 am 
***** General

I just put this on Huckpac. They've not been updating comments for awhile, because I am almost positive I had already posted a Christmas greeting that's not there. But I felt I had to let him know how I feel.

Quote:
Gov. Huckabee, I really don't want to put this comment on your wonderful Merry Christmas post, but I didn't want to wait any longer to mention this.

Chip Salzman has been wonderful to you, he's been terrific in your presidential campaign, and he's received your endorsement to lead the GOP. I think he needs your discernment right now, though. His decision to send the parody CD as a gift to GOP leaders, and then his lack of recognizing that it is offensive to many African-Americans (and others) by citing on his blog the double standard of the media (true, but irrelevant - that's not a defense), needs to be addressed.

I so want to give Chip the benefit of the doubt. He's your friend, and he's been good to you and your campaign. But this was unwise. This was insensitive. This was not a good idea.

Your name is mentioned in every article about it. I encourage you to speak to this.

Praying for you, for Chip, and for this situation.

And again, I'm sorry to put it on your wonderful Christmas post. Just know that I care much for your reputation.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 217 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next