Hucks Army - Faith. Family. Freedom. [Grassroots] JOIN HUCKS ARMY | GET INVOLVED | FUNDRAISING | LINKS | LEADERSHIP | ABOUT
It is currently Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:56 pm 
Major General

Liked: 8
Billions for Fredie and Fanny, AIG, Banks, amost $800 Billion in "stimulus", $635 Billion downpayment on "government health care", No real tax cuts...

Then... where to cut? The Defense department. Specifically, missile defense (the day after NK launches a missile), announcing the USA will lead the world to no more nuclear weapons--whaa? is this a high school debate class? Slash the F-22 the only real modern replacement for our aging fighters, cut advanced satellite program, cut back on the army's next generation modern weapons...etc, etc. Only a few programs were given an increase like smaller smaller boats, and special forces. Well in Afghanistan and Iraq we need those things, but to deter North Korea, Iran, China and Russia, we need the big guns too...

So, blind our satellite eyes, reduce the only defense we have for incomming missiles, throw away our nuclear deterrant, let our planes rust away with no replacement. Like Zell Miller said, what do you want us to fight with --"Spit Balls?"

Sec. Gates was given the task of finding some money to fund all the other things Obama and the Dems want. The whole situation fits a sad pattern. I only hope Congress will have the guts to come up with something more sane.

We are witnessing the dismantling of American Power.
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/first100days/2009/04/06/gates-calling-cuts-high-tech-weapons-programs/

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:13 pm 
***** General

Liked: 247
Ooooo...don't get me going on this! :evil:

Quote:
We are witnessing the dismantling of American Power.

I'm afraid you're right... :cry: :evil: :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:38 pm 
***** General

Liked: 247
Congress Fights Back:

http://www.defensenews.com/story.php?i= ... =AME&s=TOP

Quote:
Lawmakers Quick To React to Gates' Budget Proposals

By william matthews
Published: 6 Apr 18:18 EDT (22:18 GMT) Print | Email

Defense Secretary Robert Gates was only halfway through his presentation of the 2010 budget that he says will reshape the priorities of the U.S. military when reactions from the U.S. Congress began to trickle in.

First came a splash of cold water from Rep. Ike Skelton, D-Mo.: "The buck stops with Congress," the chairman of the House Armed Services Committee said in an e-mail message while Gates was unveiling his spending plan at the Pentagon.

It was "a good-faith effort," Skelton said, but Congress "has the critical constitutional responsibility to decide" what does and doesn't get spent on the military.

Fifteen minutes after Gates ended an hour-long presentation, Sen. James Inhofe, R-Okla., left no doubt about his disapproval: "I cannot believe what I heard today. President Obama is disarming America. Never before has a president so ravaged the military at a time of war."

Inhofe named no specific element of Gates' proposed spending plan as objectionable but said, "Congress cannot, and must not, simply go along. Congressman Tom Cole, R-Okla., and I will work with the House and Senate Armed Services Committees to stop these cuts."

By far, the strongest statement of support came from Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz.

"I strongly support Secretary Gates' decision to restructure a number of major defense programs," McCain said. "It has long been necessary to shift spending away from weapon systems plagued by scheduling and cost overruns to ones that strike the correct balance between the needs of our deployed forces and the requirements for meeting the emerging threats of tomorrow. Today's announcement is a major step in the right direction."

McCain has spent years battling wasteful Pentagon spending.

A half dozen senators fired off a letter urging President Barack Obama "not to allow deep cuts in U.S. missile defense programs."

They said Gates' plan to trim the Airborne Laser program, cancel the multiple kill vehicle and halt installation of additional ground-based interceptors in Alaska "could undermine our emerging missile defense capabilities to protect the United States against a growing threat.

Four of the six were Republican senators - John Kyl of Arizona, Lisa Murkowski of Alaska, Jeff Sessions of Alabama and Inhofe. They were joined by Democrat Mark Begich of Alaska and Independent Joseph Lieberman of Connecticut.

Speaking for Republicans on the House Armed Services Committee, Rep. John McHugh, R-N.Y., said, "We are concerned about the tradeoffs involved in rebalancing the [Defense] Department."

Gates is proposing "significant programmatic decisions that seem to be based on assumptions about the current security environment," McHugh said. "The Congress needs to ensure it understands and agrees with these assumptions" before endorsing Gates' blueprint.

He warned that costs Gates proposes to shift from war-funding supplementals to the regular defense budget "will be tantamount to an $8 billion cut in defense spending."

And cuts in spending on terminal-phase missile defense programs place "unnecessary risk to the homeland," McHugh said.

Inhofe weighed in a third time late in the afternoon, in a statement with four other members of Oklahoma's all-Republican congressional delegation who oppose Gates budget proposals - Tom Cole, Dan Boren, Mary Fallin and John Sullivan.

"President Obama's intention to gut our nation's military will deal a powerful blow to our national and economic security, as well as the future readiness of our forces," Inhofe said.

"While President Obama's short-changing of America's armed forces is deeply disappointing, it is - unfortunately - not a surprise," Cole offered.

Boren said Gates' announcement "of sweeping changes to key defense programs is a significant concern."

"President Obama's military budget cuts reflect misplaced priorities and a sense of naïveté we can ill-afford," Fallin said.

And, according to Sullivan, "Defense cuts like this make you question the Obama administration's spending priorities."

Saxby Chambliss, R-Ga., who has spent much of his Senate career defending the F-22 stealth fighter that is built in Georgia, called Gates' decision to end F-22 production "imprudent. But this fight is not finished. I will work to overturn the secretary's recommendation."

Gates wants to stop building F-22 at 187. Chambliss said he will try to get Congress to buy 60 more.

This may be a good time to contact our Senators and Representatives.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:14 am 
Major General

Liked: 2
Jimmy Carter all over again. I can only pray and hope that we get a Reagan after the next 4 years.

And I will walk at liberty: for I seek thy precepts. – Psalm 119:45

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:32 am 
***** General

Liked: 3
Dave in SC wrote:
Jimmy Carter all over again. I can only pray and hope that we get a Reagan after the next 4 years.

HUCKABEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:35 am 
Major

Liked: 0
I understand now what you all mean when you say "Jimmy Carter all over again".
And we all see our hope in Huckabee. The cycle to continue....

I know that we have (as a country) bounced back from the many "Jimmy Carters" of our history...Woodrow Wilson, FDR, et al.......but I am getting discouraged...

How many times can we bounce back ?

Like Boromir ....he kept going ...even after many Orc arrows....
but there came a final arrow he could not survive.
Are we in America about to field our final arrow ?

I pray not.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:44 am 
ColoradoMom4Huckabee wrote:

By far, the strongest statement of support came from Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz.

"I strongly support Secretary Gates' decision to restructure a number of major defense programs," McCain said. "It has long been necessary to shift spending away from weapon systems plagued by scheduling and cost overruns to ones that strike the correct balance between the needs of our deployed forces and the requirements for meeting the emerging threats of tomorrow. Today's announcement is a major step in the right direction."

McCain has spent years battling wasteful Pentagon spending.

McCain's support makes me wonder whether there isn't some merit in restructuring our defense program--as long as restructuring strengthens rather than weakens us. I can't imagine that McCain would support something that would weaken us.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:37 am 
Brigadier Geneal

Liked: 11
Best part is how this came out 24 hours after Fearless Leader defied the US with impunity and shot off a ballistic missle.

Smart, O. REAL smart.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:48 am 
Major General

Liked: 2
DannyPoo wrote:
Dave in SC wrote:

HUCKABEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Amen, Danny. I also have a question: Where can I can documents on Huckabee's defense views?

And I will walk at liberty: for I seek thy precepts. – Psalm 119:45