Hucks Army - Faith. Family. Freedom. [Grassroots] JOIN HUCKS ARMY | GET INVOLVED | FUNDRAISING | LINKS | LEADERSHIP | ABOUT
It is currently Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pirates!
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:13 am 
Major General

Liked: 8
If I misses a previous post on pirates, I appologize. I am proud of the USA crew on the "Alabama" that did not just roll over and take the pirate attack. If they were armed, this would have been over two days ago. Now an American hostage? Do we have the intestinal fortitude to act in our interests? God Bless the captain. Certainly a sacrifice to offer one's self up to save the ship and crew. A message should be sent (and partially has by the crew) that you don't mess with the (tiny number of) US flagged ships left out there. I wanted to say "Yo-Ho-Ho" but this is serious. There is likely to be violence at some point.

http://apnews.excite.com/article/20090410/D97FIQ001.html

Interesting video response on CNN:
http://www.ireport.com/docs/DOC-241729

Evidently the captain tried to escape and swim to the US ship last night, but they caught him again. This is a closed lifeboat btw with only one "door".

Post subject: Re: Pirates!
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:50 pm 
Major General

Liked: 2
If we had a Reagen as President, the pirates would not dare do this. We should arm the ship crews, and we should send in some Navy SEALS to rescue the captain.

And I will walk at liberty: for I seek thy precepts. – Psalm 119:45

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:11 pm 
Major General

Once this is over, if they harm the captain, we should sink the pirate ship, bomb the harbors where these pirates launch from, destroy identified homes/palaces of pirates. Make them remember never to mess with the USA.

Or... we can file a strogly worded protest with the UN.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:34 am 
Major General

USA#1 wrote:
Once this is over, if they harm the captain, we should sink the pirate ship, bomb the harbors where these pirates launch from, destroy identified homes/palaces of pirates. Make them remember never to mess with the USA.

Or... we can file a strogly worded protest with the UN.

Forget the UN. It is time to use FORCE.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:37 am 
***** General

Liked: 259
Obama does not use force, he listens.

http://ilikemikehuckabee2012.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:05 pm 
Major General

I've about decided (based on observation) that Obama will do Nothing here. He will wait, listen, observe, hope... If the FBI negotiates anything other than release the captain and surrender for the pirates, we look weak. If the captain is harmed, we look weak. If we wait too long, we look weak. Fact is, we are weak because of weak leadership.

Military action? Obama? Ha!

This is not about one incident, this is about deterence, respect and reputation. Its about China and Iran, and AlQueda. IF he really is president of the USA, and comes to his seneses, and releases the full force we need to deter further agression. I will be impressed. Even then, I still will not vote for him or his policies, but I will feel he is learning.

Help on the way?
http://sciencedude.freedomblogging.com/2009/04/10/pendleton-marines-en-route-to-dust-up-with-somali-pirates/24827/

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:10 pm 
Sergeant

Liked: 0
Debbie wrote:
Obama does not use force, he listens.

My mom told me that one of our family members who is a Navy Seal (I think that is correct) said that they were set to take them down the first day and that Obama told them to stand down...... He could not believe that he said that.

He is not very happy right now and said that the military in general is not happy.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:59 pm 
Major General

tag wrote:
Obama told them to stand down......

If accurate--it's telling and does not bode well.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:34 pm 
***** General

Liked: 169
USA#1 wrote:
I've about decided (based on observation) that Obama will do Nothing here. He will wait, listen, observe, hope... If the FBI negotiates anything other than release the captain and surrender for the pirates, we look weak. If the captain is harmed, we look weak. If we wait too long, we look weak. Fact is, we are weak because of weak leadership.

Military action? Obama? Ha!

This is not about one incident, this is about deterence, respect and reputation. Its about China and Iran, and AlQueda. IF he really is president of the USA, and comes to his seneses, and releases the full force we need to deter further agression. I will be impressed. Even then, I still will not vote for him or his policies, but I will feel he is learning.

I agree with you 110%. We are acting weak because we have WEAK leadership. I heard an interview with our lame Secretary of STate, Hillary Clinton. They asked her what America should do about the problem of pirates (which, by the way, has been going on for years). She blathered on about how "we should consult with our allies, ask them what's working," blah blah blah. In other words, "I have no idea what to do, I have no fresh ideas, I'm completely helpless, let's ask the real leaders, those Europeans....." It makes me sick to my stomach.

i was wondering why the Navy SEALs don't just tip the boat over, rescue the captain, and let the rest drown.

THIS is why we went to Iraq..... Hussein and his cronies were defying American (and coalition) terms of surrender, regularly violating the No-Fly Zone, talking about blowing us to kingdom come, etc. etc. We HAD to go in, in order to retain not just our honor, but our credibility. "Speak softly and carry a big stick," only works if the other nations KNOW you will use that stick if the time comes. Now that Obama is in the Oval Office, they will know that America is a do-nothing. When North Korea was preparing to launch their recent missile, Obama said that the consequences would be "swift and definite." Yeah, right. Let's go ask the UN and China what we should do about their Communist neighbors. More nausea. Obama is a barf-bag president.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:21 am 
Lieutenant

Navy seals? Into a lifeboat? Yeah, no problem making that extraction. Would never see it coming!

I beg to differ that Somalians care who our President is. Not that these pirates are not very coordinated...but these people most likely cannot even read a newspaper, and you think they can do a analysis on the potential reactions of a different administrations? They live in a country with zero opportunities, they want the $$.

And I assure you...Iraq makes everyone that much more certain that we won't do anything next time because we now have no military. You can use other justifications, but that one doesn't fly.

Respect our President, dealing with pirates has been a problem for the US since the our founding, please don't act like it reflects on Obama somehow.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:45 pm 
***** General

Liked: 66
Captain freed unharmed! 3 pirates dead according to reports.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/piracy

--Attention Guests--
Join the Discussion!
Click the graphic to join!

:army

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:01 pm 
Brigadier Geneal

Liked: 84
This is such good news! :!: :D

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:10 pm 
Lieutenant

Great news!

by the way, Obama gave two authorizations for the use of force, they simply waited out until they could get all three with snipers.

And Dave in SC, the pirates had no idea it was a US ship when it was boarded, apparently.

Maybe raw brute force isn't always the best way. Perhaps Obama isn't such a bad guy after all? :twisted:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:41 pm 
Major General

MacGyver wrote:
Great news!

by the way, Obama gave two authorizations for the use of force, they simply waited out until they could get all three with snipers.

And Dave in SC, the pirates had no idea it was a US ship when it was boarded, apparently.

Maybe raw brute force isn't always the best way. Perhaps Obama isn't such a bad guy after all? :twisted:

Very good, no great news! If Obama gave the ok, then , like I said, I am impressed. One could not hope for a much better outcome. There was certainly an eery similarity of this weeks events and The Easter season--a leader sacrificing himself for the sake of others--and on Easter--he is free.

Still, here is a quote I just found from the news and from the captain. We know who the heros are:
Quote:
The pirates were pointing AK-47s at Capt. Richard Phillips and he was in "imminent danger" of being killed when the commander of the nearby USS Bainbridge made the split-second decision to order his men to shoot, Vice Adm. Bill Gortney said.

Quote:
Gortney said the captain had been "tied up inside the lifeboat" over much of the ordeal.

"I'm just the byline. The real heroes are the Navy, the Seals, those who have brought me home,"

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,514775,00.html

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:08 pm 
Sergeant

MacGyver wrote:
Great news!

From what I heard long before Friday, the Navy had asked to use force when it started and where told to stand down. If that is true he must have finally changed his mind. I just wonder if the news is only reporting the requests that were granted and leaving out the ones that were not. If true, what I do not understand is why he would have not been considered in danger before when the pirates had guns on him.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:14 am 
***** General

Liked: 525
Our amazing military deserve a standing applause from all of us. Go, Navy SEALS!!! I am glad that the President made the right decision in authorizing the use of force. Hopefully, those guys will think twice before they go near anything that has a U.S. Flag on it in the future. I pity the fool who wants to take on our armed forces. Awesome story!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:42 am 
Major General

TheValuesVoter wrote:
Our amazing military deserve a standing applause from all of us. Go, Navy SEALS!!! I am glad that the President made the right decision in authorizing the use of force. Hopefully, those guys will think twice before they go near anything that has a U.S. Flag on it in the future. I pity the fool who wants to take on our armed forces. Awesome story!!

Amen! We did the right thing.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:47 am 
***** General

Liked: 169
tag wrote:
MacGyver wrote:
Great news!

From what I heard long before Friday, the Navy had asked to use force when it started and where told to stand down. If that is true he must have finally changed his mind. I just wonder if the news is only reporting the requests that were granted and leaving out the ones that were not. If true, what I do not understand is why he would have not been considered in danger before when the pirates had guns on him.

You took the words RIGHT out of my mouth.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:54 pm 
***** General

Liked: 32
We will never know what happened, and the media will always give Obama the best press. But I think it is strange that the Navy seals would have waited FOUR days, with a tiny lifeboat drifting in the WATER -- with the captain in a LIFEBOAT with a gun pointed at his back -- waited four days, and never made a move. After all, they knew how to shoot on Thursday just as well as they did on Sunday.

In my gut -- without proof, so it only remains my opinion -- I think Obama froze. He was afraid to give the authorization. Reports started coming out Sunday afternoon that the lifeboat was drifting toward shore -- only 40 miles away -- and that if the pirates hit shore, that would be the absolute worst scenario.

So I think Obama was informed that the situation was worsening, and that they needed to move quickly, if they had any hope of resolution -- that they could not guarantee results but that to do nothing was the worst situation.

I have the utmost respect for the captain and the navy seals. I reserve my opinion on Obama -- sorry.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:13 pm 
Major General

voter wrote:
We will never know what happened, and the media will always give Obama the best press. But I think it is strange that the Navy seals would have waited FOUR days, with a tiny lifeboat drifting in the WATER -- with the captain in a LIFEBOAT with a gun pointed at his back -- waited four days, and never made a move. After all, they knew how to shoot on Thursday just as well as they did on Sunday.

In my gut -- without proof, so it only remains my opinion -- I think Obama froze. He was afraid to give the authorization. Reports started coming out Sunday afternoon that the lifeboat was drifting toward shore -- only 40 miles away -- and that if the pirates hit shore, that would be the absolute worst scenario.

So I think Obama was informed that the situation was worsening, and that they needed to move quickly, if they had any hope of resolution -- that they could not guarantee results but that to do nothing was the worst situation.

I have the utmost respect for the captain and the navy seals. I reserve my opinion on Obama -- sorry.

As I stated in my earlier posts, the pirates had the gall to attack because we have a weak and incompetent President. I believe we should have used force much earlier.