Hucks Army - Faith. Family. Freedom. [Grassroots] JOIN HUCKS ARMY | GET INVOLVED | FUNDRAISING | LINKS | LEADERSHIP | ABOUT
It is currently Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:16 pm 
***** General

Liked: 13
At the end of this video Krauthammer mentions Mike Huckabee in relation to comments on a European style VAT tax. But, according to what is posted at Wikipedia, the Fair Tax is not like a European style VAT tax.

Also , has everyone noticed Krauthammer has really been, uhhh... hammering President Obama since he took office? He really is nailing the conceptual distinctions which need to be made with regard to what Obama is doing and saying.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:38 pm 
***** General

Liked: 32
Krauthammer is not criticizing Huckabee, and he is not saying the VAT is comparative to the Fair Tax. In fact, he is saying just the opposite. He begins by explaining that the VAT is a SUPPLEMENT -- in other words, in addition -- to the national income tax. He goes on to say that, since the national income tax is so prohibitive and punative, many conservatives were looking for an ALTERNATIVE. Then he says, in effect, "Now, Huckabee wanted the fair tax, which is a replacement for the national income tax -- and that MAKES SENSE."

This is actually the first time I have ever heard Krauthammer use "HUckabee" and "sense" in the same sentence.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:58 pm 
***** General

Liked: 13
voter wrote:
Krauthammer is not criticizing Huckabee, and he is not saying the VAT is comparative to the Fair Tax. In fact, he is saying just the opposite. He begins by explaining that the VAT is a SUPPLEMENT -- in other words, in addition -- to the national income tax. He goes on to say that, since the national income tax is so prohibitive and punative, many conservatives were looking for an ALTERNATIVE. Then he says, in effect, "Now, Huckabee wanted the fair tax, which is a replacement for the national income tax -- and that MAKES SENSE."

This is actually the first time I have ever heard Krauthammer use "HUckabee" and "sense" in the same sentence.

Yeah, I didn't say he was criticizing Huckabee. I said he mentioned him. But Krauthammer makes it sound as if Obama may move to add a VAT-tax to our vast inventory of taxes, whereas Huckabee wants a VAT-tax, sans the income tax. Krauthammer never uses the phrase "Fair Tax". My point was it may not be clear to many viewers there is a distinction between a European VAT, and the "Fair Tax".

That aside. I have been enjoying the many pithy and well-reasoned critiques of the administration Krauthammer has been offering.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:00 pm 
***** General

Liked: 32
That's a good point -- it probably isn't clear -- but eventually I am sure Huckabee will clear it up.

I was more amazed, as I said, to hear Krauthammer use "Huckabee" and "making sense" in the same sentence.