Hucks Army - Faith. Family. Freedom. [Grassroots] JOIN HUCKS ARMY | GET INVOLVED | FUNDRAISING | LINKS | LEADERSHIP | ABOUT
It is currently Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:10 pm 
***** General

Liked: 523
Okay, I am feeling sufficiently depressed to indicate that your point has succeeded in getting through. :wink:

But hope springs eternal! Wouldn't this at least indicate that you can have a pro-life person run in a pro-"choice" area & not have it be a detriment as so many of the fiscons have alleged in their quest to get the GOP to moderate its socon positions? Come, come! Let us find something positive to cling to! :D

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:09 pm 
***** General

Liked: 66
QuoVadisAnima wrote:
Okay, I am feeling sufficiently depressed to indicate that your point has succeeded in getting through. :wink:

But hope springs eternal! Wouldn't this at least indicate that you can have a pro-life person run in a pro-"choice" area & not have it be a detriment as so many of the fiscons have alleged in their quest to get the GOP to moderate its socon positions? Come, come! Let us find something positive to cling to! :D

True, but if "pro-life" isn't a detriment because you choose to suppress that information (or at least not make it a major point), then I might question how important of an issue it for you, then, well, is it much of a victory?

Sorry to be a downer :wink: :wink: :wink:

--Attention Guests--
Join the Discussion!
Click the graphic to join!

:army

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:39 pm 
***** General

Liked: 653
I'm sorry QuoV I'm not really a pessimist by nature.

I just have this Lucy and the football feeling about anything this important to the fiscon first/only leg of the three legged stool. I hope Hoffman wins and he supports social conservative issues as well as fiscal. But it's a "wishful" hope not a Hebrews' "hope."

"As for us, our days of combat are over. Our swords are rust. Our guns will thunder no more. The vultures that once wheeled over our heads must be buried with their prey. Whatever of glory must be won in the council or the closet, never again in the field. I do not repine. We have shared the incommunicable experience of war; we have felt, we still feel, the passion of life to its top."

Oliver Wendell Holmes

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:50 pm 
Brigadier Geneal

Liked: 11
Quote:
I just have this Lucy and the football feeling about anything this important to the fiscon first/only leg of the three legged stool.

And I bet you THIS has a lot to do with Huck's non-endorsement. I think, like us, he sees the "fiscon first/only leg of the three legged stool" as fundamentally greedy. They're some of those "friends" with which you don't need enemies.

Now, if that is true, and if he sees Hoffman in that camp, it isn't that he doesn't agree with Hoffman on the issues (I'm sure he does), but he likely disagrees with him on the motivations. If you add to that the possibility that he may not even WIN, then that is another reason to say nice things about him but refuse to endorse.

Bottom line: Huck is going to endorse conservatives who are conservative for moral reasons--not just conservatives who are conservative because it benefits their pocketbook. Of course, he can't come out and actually SAY that, but he DID say (if I remember right) that Hoffman went to CFG first. That Huck would even mention that tells me, I think, something about his mindset . . .

Look, I hope Hoffman wins. I really do. I hope Toomey wins in PA. But, if I'm at all right in the above, I am starting to see why Huck would not endorse either candidate (and I was one of those who was saying that he should have been the bigger man and endorsed Toomey . . . I've pretty much changed my mind on that!).

Thoughts?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:56 pm 
Major General

Liked: 0
Hey Jac, that is probably it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:33 pm 
***** General

I am duly chastened, my hope is diminished, and I will instead return to my daily duties which, though redundant, look far less depressing... (I'm still glad to see the Planned Barrenhood lady lose either way)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:25 pm 
***** General

Liked: 653
Quote:
I am duly chastened, my hope is diminished, and I will instead return to my daily duties which, though redundant, look far less depressing... (I'm still glad to see the Planned Barrenhood lady lose either way)

I'm glad I could let my fears destroy your hopes...NOT :oops: :oops: :cry:

I should have remembered this verse in its possible application to the NY 23 race:

Quote:
15It is true that some preach Christ out of envy and rivalry, but others out of goodwill. 16The latter do so in love, knowing that I am put here for the defense of the gospel. 17The former preach Christ out of selfish ambition, not sincerely, supposing that they can stir up trouble for me while I am in chains.[c] 18But what does it matter? The important thing is that in every way, whether from false motives or true, Christ is preached. And because of this I rejoice.

Clearly a pro-life chance is better than two pro-abortion certainties.

I am truly sorry for being so negative QuoV. Sincerely.

"As for us, our days of combat are over. Our swords are rust. Our guns will thunder no more. The vultures that once wheeled over our heads must be buried with their prey. Whatever of glory must be won in the council or the closet, never again in the field. I do not repine. We have shared the incommunicable experience of war; we have felt, we still feel, the passion of life to its top."

Oliver Wendell Holmes

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:28 pm 
***** General

Aw, SouthernDoc, I was sure you would know that I was ribbing you!

It is a realistic concern & I would rather be apprised of the potential concerns than left in a naive ignorance that has a painful awakening looming somewhere over my rainbow!

(And anyway, though I am a melancholic by temperament, I still believe in miracles and that hope really does spring Eternal! :lol: )

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:02 am 
Site Admin

Liked: 782
chapelccino wrote:
As this thing has unfolded, perhaps it may be that Gov. Huckabee's situation is the best? It's somewhat complicated, as I've read all that's been posted about it. Since he didn't come out first for Hoffman, he would appear to be following Palin's lead (a la Pawlenty). If he goes for the GOP RINO, that is bad for him (a la Gingrich). By saying he supports what Hoffman stands for but won't endorse him due to a scheduling conflict that would appear to be a paid endorsement, he appears above-board (as opposed to just standing back for no clear reason, like maybe Romney?). If Hoffman loses, he wasn't 'on record' either way to get involved in local politics. If he wins, Gov. Huckabee did say he was for what Hoffman stands for.

I know it can be spun other ways, but perhaps that's how they'll frame it. And as other elections move forward - particularly Rubio's - this will be in the past.

Going back to something Chapelccino wrote a few days ago...I liked her analysis, along with those of you who have commented since.

It is sometimes too bad that we have to think "strategy" and not merely come out openly with what we say or believe. (Although we certainly do not want to lie.) However, there is a time to speak and a time to keep silent, as Ecclesiastes says, and a wise man or woman learns to know the timing of things. I have this feeling that Gov. Huckabee has grown in the political wisdom of things, and that will help him find the support he needs and avoid the minefields set by his opponents. That is my prayer, anyway. "Wise as serpents, innocent as doves" is a rare combination.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:23 pm 
***** General

Liked: 259
Wasn't sure where to put this one, but it's about NY-23

from gop12.comRomney opts out of NY-23

Quote:
The Shad Plank:

Romney said Wednesday that he expects his non-endorsement to send an adequate message.

"I have chosen not to endorse the Republican in the 23," Romney said.

Mitt was in a bind. He couldn't play Johnny-come-lately (T-Paw already took that role), and he couldn't be Newt Gingrich.

Palin still wins on this one.

http://hrblogs.typepad.com/the_shad_pla ... tters.html

http://ilikemikehuckabee2012.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:11 pm 
***** General

Well, remember that Romney is no longer Mr. Uber Conservative Republican - he is now Mr. Moderate Maverick Republican and endorsing Hoffman wouldn't really mesh with his new persona... :roll: