Hucks Army - Faith. Family. Freedom. [Grassroots] JOIN HUCKS ARMY | GET INVOLVED | FUNDRAISING | LINKS | LEADERSHIP | ABOUT
It is currently Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:05 pm 
***** General

Liked: 653
Our Philosopher-King Obama

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articl ... 99987.html

Quote:
By Victor Davis Hanson

In Plato's ideal society, philosopher kings and elite Guardians shepherded the rabble to force them to do the "right" thing.

To prevent the unwashed from doing anything stupid, the all-powerful, all-wise Guardians often had to tell a few "noble" lies. And, of course, these caretakers themselves were exempt from most rules they made for others.

We are now seeing such thinking in the Obama administration and among its supporters.

A technocracy - many Ivy-League-educated and without much experience outside academia and government - pushes legislation most people do not want but is nevertheless judged to be good for them.

Take the Obama proposal for health care. A large percentage of Americans do not trust those who run the Postal Service to oversee the conditions of one-sixth of the U.S. economy.

No matter. Our philosopher-king president says of our fierce resistance: "I . . . know what happens once we get this done. The American people will suddenly learn that this bill does things they like."...snip...

Why, then, does the Obama administration persist with such an apparently unpopular agenda?

Like Plato's all-knowing elite, Obama seems to feel that those he deems less informed will "suddenly" learn to appreciate his benevolent guidance once these laws are pushed through...snip...

There is one other trait of this administration similar to those of utopian philosopher kings. Our elite must have the leeway to be exempt from their own rules.

Higher taxes must be levied on many of us. But the guardian of the Treasury, Timothy Geithner, now and then can cheat a little. So can the chairman of the Ways and Means Committee, Rep. Charles Rangel, who oversees the writing of tax law...snip...

There is, however, one difference between Plato's thinking and the Obama administration's agenda. Plato at least assumed that philosopher kings were fantasy ideas and his utopia unachievable.

Our president and his modern-day Guardians in contrast haven't quite figured that out yet. Perhaps after this week's election in Massachusetts they will.

Best take yet!

"As for us, our days of combat are over. Our swords are rust. Our guns will thunder no more. The vultures that once wheeled over our heads must be buried with their prey. Whatever of glory must be won in the council or the closet, never again in the field. I do not repine. We have shared the incommunicable experience of war; we have felt, we still feel, the passion of life to its top."

Oliver Wendell Holmes

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:22 pm 
** General

Liked: 11
Here's how Obama summed things up on Facebook:
Quote:
Yesterday’s election shows discontent with the pace of change—a frustration I share. We must move forward and keep working together.
Interesting analysis...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:31 pm 
***** General

Liked: 0
Unbelievable. Talk about that river in Egypt. I think our president needs a psychotherapist.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:16 pm 
Sergeant

Liked: 18
davem wrote:
Here's how Obama summed things up on Facebook:
Quote:
Yesterday’s election shows discontent with the pace of change—a frustration I share. We must move forward and keep working together.
Interesting analysis...

To paraphrase Tim Robbins in Shawshank Redemption: How can he be so obtuse? Is it intentional? (Or is he just delusional?)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:00 pm 
***** General

Liked: 653
From my experience in academia (which is immersed in the platonic Philosopher-King self-immage) there are none more attracted to, or thoroughly accepting of and uncritical of, their role as philosopher-king Gaurdians, then Law School faculty (political science is a close second).

Now...what was Obama's background again?

Frankly I doubt he has ever, even once, been exposed to an informed criticism of the concept. Far too many academic enviroments are echo chambers of a single "voice of reason." This leaves them ill prepared to understand the basis for why they have failed and unable to craft a remedy.

"As for us, our days of combat are over. Our swords are rust. Our guns will thunder no more. The vultures that once wheeled over our heads must be buried with their prey. Whatever of glory must be won in the council or the closet, never again in the field. I do not repine. We have shared the incommunicable experience of war; we have felt, we still feel, the passion of life to its top."

Oliver Wendell Holmes

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:08 pm 
Lieutenant General

Liked: 24
When a man runs on a platform of "I will be the 41st vote against the healthcare reform bill" how can you interpret it as anything else????