Hucks Army - Faith. Family. Freedom. [Grassroots] JOIN HUCKS ARMY | GET INVOLVED | FUNDRAISING | LINKS | LEADERSHIP | ABOUT
It is currently Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:43 am 
Major General

Liked: 2
We voted for Bauer in the primary. Now it is time to decide between Gresham Barrett and Nikki Haley. Any thoughts?

And I will walk at liberty: for I seek thy precepts. – Psalm 119:45

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:05 pm 
***** General

Liked: 32
For whatever it is worth, I just heard that Romney will be stomping for Haley in the runoff.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:17 pm 
Major General

voter wrote:
For whatever it is worth, I just heard that Romney will be stomping for Haley in the runoff.

:x

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:22 pm 
***** General

Liked: 259
Honestly, this should not be about Romney nor Palin. This should be about getting the best conservative into the governor's mansion in SC. Our country needs better leaders, despite whomever endorses them.

http://ilikemikehuckabee2012.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:38 pm 
***** General

Quote:
Honestly, this should not be about Romney nor Palin. This should be about getting the best conservative into the governor's mansion in SC. Our country needs better leaders, despite whomever endorses them.

It is not about who endorses Haley -- it is about who Haley endorses. She endorsed Romney in 2008. You determine one's credentials by numerous facts. Frankly, I find it difficult to accept that someone is a strong social conservative -- not to mention fiscal conservative -- and would endorse Romney in 2008.

That's just me -- and it goes into the package when I am looking for strong conservative leaders.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:54 pm 
***** General

Jim DeMint is a strong conservative-both fiscal and social and he endorsed Romney. Would I not vote for DeMint just because he endorsed Romney? Certainly not. But I might be very frustrated that DeMint did not endorse my guy.

Just like I really do not like what Gov. Perry did to Huckabee in 2008-telling Huckabee to get out of the race right before we were getting the chance to vote for Huckabee. It made me really peeved at Perry. Will I not vote for him in the general election against Bill White? Certainly not-there is going to be a major redistricting if Bill White gets in office. So I will hold my nose and vote for Perry. However, everytime Perry sends me something in the mail looking for a donation, I send it back with a sharpie stating why I will not donate to him.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:01 pm 
Major General

A family member sent this to Haley:

Quote:
Please do NOT allow Mitt Romney to campaign for you; I am voting for you on the 22nd because I consider Barrett to be the “Romney” of the race. You could not do anything more damaging to your campaign then to allow Romney to identify with you. His policies are a sure-fire way of giving Barrett ammunition to shoot at you. He implemented & supported health care reform in Massachusetts that predated Obama-care, supported gay marriage, abortion, & flip-flopped on numerous other positions that he said he supported or was against in order to play to whatever crowd he was trying to win. There are still many conservatives (myself included) who feel very negatively about Romney and consider him to be primarily responsible for the failure of the GOP to nominate a winning conservative for the 2008 presidential election.

I am very concerned for your campaign now – the groundless accusations against your fidelity actually served to strengthen your platform – but seeing you identified with Romney, & everything that he stands for in the minds of conservatives, may well be the point that pushes voters to Barrett. I feel so strongly about Romney that if he were on the Republican ballet I would vote for another party – a Constitutionalist if available, a Democrat if necessary. In 2008 I voted for the Democrat senator because I wanted to get Lindsey Graham out of office & many of my friends have pledged to do something similar with Romney. In a conversation I had this morning with a coworker trying to persuade him to vote for you, he said that he would watch & see where you stood on the issues – don’t let us down. Stay far away from Romney & other so called “conservatives.”

-A South Carolina voter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:04 pm 
***** General

Quote:
Jim DeMint is a strong conservative-both fiscal and social and he endorsed Romney. Would I not vote for DeMint just because he endorsed Romney? Certainly not. But I might be very frustrated that DeMint did not endorse my guy.

I don't like that DeMint endorsed Romney either. It tells me he is more about politics than principle. Would I not vote for him? It completely depends on who he is running against. But it goes into the package.

Frankly, lately -- I am growing extremely weary about the GOP. I hate to say it, but if the democrats ran better candidates, more center right -- even center left -- I would consider voting their way.

And it isn't just me -- the GOP is so far off target -- they are not going to beat Obama unless they wisen up -- quickly. They are not even going to make the kind of strides they think they will in 2010. They'll do all right -- because the democrats are on everybody's hate list right now -- but the GOP is right behind.

In general, people do not like republicans -- they are angry at the dems, but they truly dislike the republicans -- so you have to be a special kind of republican to reach across the barriers and convince the public that you are not just money, money, money --

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:00 pm 
***** General

Liked: 275
Now there's a choose: vote for a guy who voted for all the financial bailouts of Wall Street or a woman who aligns herself with maybe the most unprincipled poltician in recent history, Mitt Romney. Any good 3rd party candidates to chose from? :?

Really surprised that Barrett beat out McMaster for 2nd place. He would have been a much better option from what I know of the candidates in that election. Sadly, Bauer just never seemed to be competitive for whatever reason.

Considering that electing Haley will give Romney the leg up in SC that he's looking for (it's all about advancing his political cause, not about convictions), I'd have to go with Barrett. Wonder if Huck will wade into this race yet again?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:16 pm 
Lieutenant General

Liked: 1
OK, I'll 'fess up. I voted for Haley--in spite of the Romney and Palin endorsements, and because her record and background merit it. (Not the "woman" part--the "accountant" part.) My graduate degree is in accounting and it is way past time SC has someone in the statehouse who knows their way around a balance sheet.

The fact that Romney and Palin endorsed her and she has the impremitur of both Sanford and his former Mrs. says less about Palin and Romney, et al, than it does about Nikky Haley. Palin's endorsement is a huge negative for independents, and Haley will have to overcome it in the general. Most independents in my neck of the woods, including me, think Palin is a complete wingnut with celebrity intentions.

If Haley wants an endorsement which actually means something she should get one from Bobby Jindal (who is now doing a really good Giuliani redux in the Gulf.)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:38 pm 
***** General

Liked: 13
Lemme reconstitute some of the thoughts swirling in this thread. Sometimes I think we put too much into "liking" someone. Politics is about choices and compromise. We don't like to think about that because we'd rather think in purest terms.

In our hearts and minds we have this ideal candidate we've conjured up in our fantasies. I do too. We all do. We can't help it. In some of us it is more developed because we have thought about these things deeply, and for a long time.

But, when it comes down to it we are voting for human beings who are flawed just like us. They make judgments about the environment that we all are living and working in. But, when we project our ideal fantasy on to real people they usually fall short. Unless we decide to idealize a given candidate.

When we idealize a candidate we have greater difficulty seeing their flaws, or if we do see them we minimize them. Of those we don't decide to idealize we may magnify the short comings and not extend the same grace which we do "our guy".

Thus, sometimes we have the effect of making mountains out of molehills and molehills out of mountains. If the other guy has a big plus we will minimize it as trivial, if our guy has a small plus we will magnify it beyond its significance. If our guy has a flaw (maybe a big flaw) we will play it down. If the other guy has a small gaffe, or mistake we will get on that hobby-horse and ride it to death.

It is always nice to like our candidates, but it isn't necessary in my opinion. It isn't even necessary that our candidates have our beliefs. In the end its only necessary they execute good policy. Which is to say, if we believe a candidate will vote correctly then we should be able to vote for that person, even if we'd rather vote for someone else (who isn't running).

Which is another way of saying primaries are about preferences; the general election is about necessities. I would've rather had Mike Huckabee on the Republican ticket in the 2008 general election. But, such was not the opportunity given by providence.

Therefore, since it was clear to me that Barack Obama wanted to fundamentally change America in ways which are very bad. I could in good conscience vote for John McCain as a "tool" to stop him. Voting for Mike Hucakbee would have been a better choice because of the positive good and leadership he would do. But, as to stopping the bad McCain or Huckabee was the same.

McCain was thus a "tool" of my desire to stop Obama. Each case has to be evaluated for its relative effectiveness in stopping the bad and promoting positive good. Better to have someone to do both. Sometimes, that isn't the choice available.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:41 pm 
Lieutenant General

Liked: 1
Verticon: Astute and very accurate.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:46 pm 
***** General

Liked: 4
ConservTexan wrote:

Ditto! Time to put hard feelings aside.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:50 am 
***** General

I was listening to Bill Bennett's radio show this morning while I was driving my daughter to camp, and Rick Santorum was hosting the show. Rick Santorum is backing Gresham Barrett and was stating that Barrett was a stronger conservative than Hayley. He said that there should be a spirited run-off. And then he again was plugging Barrett.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:30 am 
Major General

lrobb wrote:
OK, I'll 'fess up. I voted for Haley--in spite of the Romney and Palin endorsements, and because her record and background merit it. (Not the "woman" part--the "accountant" part.) My graduate degree is in accounting and it is way past time SC has someone in the statehouse who knows their way around a balance sheet.

The fact that Romney and Palin endorsed her and she has the impremitur of both Sanford and his former Mrs. says less about Palin and Romney, et al, than it does about Nikky Haley. Palin's endorsement is a huge negative for independents, and Haley will have to overcome it in the general. Most independents in my neck of the woods, including me, think Palin is a complete wingnut with celebrity intentions.

If Haley wants an endorsement which actually means something she should get one from Bobby Jindal (who is now doing a really good Giuliani redux in the Gulf.)

Thank you for the input. I think we will be voting for Haley.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:38 pm 
***** General

Liked: 275
ConservTexan wrote:
I was listening to Bill Bennett's radio show this morning while I was driving my daughter to camp, and Rick Santorum was hosting the show. Rick Santorum is backing Gresham Barrett and was stating that Barrett was a stronger conservative than Hayley. He said that there should be a spirited run-off. And then he again was plugging Barrett.

Wow, I'm surprised by that! :shock:

Hmmm, maybe Santorum knows something about these "rumours" regarding Haley? :tinfoil

Quite frankly, I don't see, rhetorically anyway, that huge a difference between the two policy-wise (though I'm not as up to date on that race as I am other one's). If that's indeed the case, foiling the Romney/Palin backed candidate is the way to go! 8) :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:49 pm 
***** General

Personally, I think the rumors about Hayley are unfounded and should not even have been brought up on HA. She seems like a true reformer. I bet Huckabee would have endorsed her if he had not been obligated to help out Bauer.