Hucks Army - Faith. Family. Freedom. [Grassroots] JOIN HUCKS ARMY | GET INVOLVED | FUNDRAISING | LINKS | LEADERSHIP | ABOUT
It is currently Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:35 am 
***** General

Liked: 523
I just got an email notice for the Values Voter Summit coming up on Oct 7-9 & I did not see Huckabee listed as an invitee!!! I must confess that I freaked a bit over that. I had to go look it up at http://www.valuesvotersummit.org/speakers and was relieved to see him listed there. He is getting pushed more & more into the background now. I am so depressed.

Speaking of depressing - would you believe that Donald Trump is also going to be speaking there? What's up with that? He's not exactly a values voter's dream date! :P

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:24 pm 
General

Liked: 41
What's so depressing about Trump speaking at the VV Conference is that he is pro-choice. He only changed to pro-life right before announcing his run for the Republican nominee. What's more disgusting is that Tony Perkins and lots of other Christian Evangelicals were talking about endorsing Trump. If anything proves that the Christian Evangelical leaders ONLY care about the money (donations) they might get, this is it! They only care if somebody might belected, NOT if they are Christian or not! :wall

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:40 am 
***** General

Liked: 169
Vote For Truth wrote:
What's so depressing about Trump speaking at the VV Conference is that he is pro-choice. He only changed to pro-life right before announcing his run for the Republican nominee. What's more disgusting is that Tony Perkins and lots of other Christian Evangelicals were talking about endorsing Trump. If anything proves that the Christian Evangelical leaders ONLY care about the money (donations) they might get, this is it! They only care if somebody might belected, NOT if they are Christian or not! :wall

Agree -- look at how many of them endorsed Romney last time. :P

And we ended up with McCain. Now, it's true that McCain's voting record was pro-life...but Sen. Rick Santorum, a TRUE pro-life champion, stated publicly that behind the scenes, McCain frequently used pro-life votes as a chance to squeeze concessions from other lawmakers. He would threaten to vote against pro-life bills unless he got thus-and-such from other senators. Then, in front of the cameras, McCain would pose as a pro-life stalwart. Santorum said that anything they got done on the pro-life front was in spite of McCain, not because of him.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:32 pm 
Major General

Liked: 147
Didn't Santorum endorse Romney?? That bothers me. One mistake (Specter) I can understand but two endorsements that go against the defense of life? He's been consistently pro-life in his votes in Congress but is he a poor enough judge of others that he'll nominate judges that aren't strong on this issue?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:30 am 
Major General

I trust Santorum alot more than the others. I hate the way he is being ignored just like Mike was. Its the same as 2008, they are still trying to pick our president for us.
I dont think Trump should attend the Summit either. I think he is helping Obama and I hate it when Mike makes remarks about Trump running. When it looked like Mike was going to run,Trump talked about getting in. Wasnt it the next day that Mike decided not to run,that Trump suddenly changed his mind?
I have a feeling he will be running 3rd party so he can hurt the republicans.

Post by FL4Huck Liked by: All-in-for-Mike

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:18 am 
***** General

Liked: 525
juditupp wrote:
Didn't Santorum endorse Romney?? That bothers me. One mistake (Specter) I can understand but two endorsements that go against the defense of life? He's been consistently pro-life in his votes in Congress but is he a poor enough judge of others that he'll nominate judges that aren't strong on this issue?

Ouch. I didn't know that. I saw this on his Wikipedia page ...

Quote:
On February 1, 2008, Santorum said he would vote for Mitt Romney in the 2008 Presidential Republican primary race, stating: "If you're a Republican, if you're a Republican in the broadest sense, there is only one place to go right now and that's Mitt Romney.".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_Santorum

And this on the website of the Catholic News Agency ...
Quote:
Washington D.C., Feb 2, 2008 / 01:14 am (CNA).- Mitt Romney scored a victory in the political endorsement battle today, as Rick Santorum, a former Republican senator from Pennsylvania known as a strong conservative, gave him his backing.

Speaking about the caucus convergence known as “Super Tuesday,” Sen. Santorum said, “In a few short days, Republicans from across this country will decide more than their party's nominee. They will decide the very future of our party and the conservative coalition that Ronald Reagan built. Conservatives can no longer afford to stand on the sidelines in this election, and Governor Romney is the candidate who will stand up for the conservative principles that we hold dear.”

Sen. Santorum also offered his assessment of Romney’s ability to unite the Republican Party: "Governor Romney has a deep understanding of the important issues confronting our country today, and he is the clear conservative candidate that can go into the general election with a united Republican Party."

Governor Romney received Santorum’s endorsement by pointing to their shared values. "I am honored to have Senator Santorum's support. Throughout his career of public service, he has always led with a steadfast commitment to our party's conservative principles. He has fought for life, marriage, tax cuts and a stronger national defense. In the coming days, I look forward to working with him as we fight for our party's conservative foundations."

Senator Santorum served two terms in the United States Senate where he was also Chairman of the Senate Republican Conference, the third-ranking member of the Republican leadership.

http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/rick_santorum_endorses_mitt_romney_for_president/

The thing that sort of kills me about this is actually the date. On February 1st, 2008, Mike Huckabee's 2008 presidential campaign was still alive. He still had a shot. A good number of us on this forum were here, blogging, praying, registrying, rallying for Mike to do well on Super Tuesday and hoping that people wouldn't fall into the hype about Romney. I've said that I have liked what I've seen so far about Santorum and that's been true with the exception of this. But it sort of kicks me a bit to learn now that he was one of the folks who was betting on the wrong horse and working to push our guy out of the way and Romney forward.

Did Santorum actually call Romney the "clear conservative candidate?" Santorum is still the best of the candidates running but it's pretty clear that he is not on par with Mike Huckabee (of course, we all knew that part already).

Mike, your seat is still warm waiting for you!

Post by TheValuesVoter Liked by: All-in-for-Mike

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:42 pm 
Major General

TVV, I share the same concerns. That's why I mentioned it in this thread. Based on his votes on Congress and his choices in his personal life I believe his pro-life convictions are real but he seems to be a poor judge of the convictions in fellow politicians. That means a President Santorum could very well nominate a Supreme court judge that would vote against life in a court decision.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:28 pm 
***** General

Liked: 211
I don't like Santorum's endorsements either (and I have been aware of them all along) but he is still leaps and bounds the best candidate in the life and family issues out of all the prez candidates currently running. He has suffered both personally and politically for his stances on those issues. I don't think for one second he would nominate a bad judge. His whole reasoning for throwing his career away on Spector was to guarantee a good SCOTUS appointee. Here is some food for thought that I saw written on facebook.

Quote:
On a personal level I wanted to say that as a Christian one of the things I was the most pleased to see was what happened with Rick Santorum, a man who has stood for many of the principles I cherish for most of his political career. The past few years he made some crazy endorsements that cost him dearly, but he returned to relevance again by returning to the principles that made him a national name in the first place. Regardless of what happens next in the presidential race, a good man got his integrity back, and a much-needed voice in the national political debate has a voice again.

There's a lesson there.

Good men sometimes lose their way, but if encouraged/held accountable, they can find their way back and actually improve. It will help me to remember not to write people off so quickly in the future. Especially since only by the grace of God does that not happen to me.

TEAM HUCK IOWA
http://www.facebook.com/TeamHuckIowa

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:01 am 
Site Admin

Liked: 782
FL4Huck wrote:
I trust Santorum alot more than the others. I hate the way he is being ignored just like Mike was. Its the same as 2008, they are still trying to pick our president for us.
I dont think Trump should attend the Summit either. I think he is helping Obama and I hate it when Mike makes remarks about Trump running. When it looked like Mike was going to run,Trump talked about getting in. Wasnt it the next day that Mike decided not to run,that Trump suddenly changed his mind?
I have a feeling he will be running 3rd party so he can hurt the republicans.

I share your concerns about where the true center of Donald Trump is. It seems he and Governor Huckabee are cordial, but not sure what that means. Trump has in the past supported many Democrats; however most lately he has given to a Republican SuperPAC (can't recall the name) that Karl Rove, among others, helped start. I have a feeling things are going on behind the scenes, but who knows what the plans are. If Trump running to highlight the Obama birth certificate issue were the reason, he did not help President Obama. The certificate is so obviously a fraud.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:19 am 
***** General

Liked: 523
I just got an email reminder about this - didn't realize it was so close!
Is anyone going?

Wish we could have got up a "Draft Huck" campaign for the Summit - people there probably would've been very receptive. :?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:40 am 
Site Admin

Liked: 782
All-in-for-Mike wrote:
Vote For Truth wrote:

Agree -- look at how many of them endorsed Romney last time. :P

And we ended up with McCain. Now, it's true that McCain's voting record was pro-life...but Sen. Rick Santorum, a TRUE pro-life champion, stated publicly that behind the scenes, McCain frequently used pro-life votes as a chance to squeeze concessions from other lawmakers. He would threaten to vote against pro-life bills unless he got thus-and-such from other senators. Then, in front of the cameras, McCain would pose as a pro-life stalwart. Santorum said that anything they got done on the pro-life front was in spite of McCain, not because of him.

I like to listen to Tony Perkins and other evangelicals like Gary Bauer at times; nevertheless, I have never figured out how they could be consistent with their values and promote Mitt Romney. The evidence is well known that he supported $50 abortions under RomneyCare and pushed through homosexual unions in Massachussetts against the voters' wishes (citing a judge's "opinion").

Why are Romney or Trump speaking to the Values Voter Summit? I guess because they are not Democrats. Christian Conservative movements need to stay away from power-brokering and stick to the values they espouse. Else they will have no real distinctive or message. And in trying to be too broad-minded, they become useless for the cause of Christ.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:12 am 
General

Liked: 41
Mike Huckabee was invited but I don't know if he accepted. Does anybody else know?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:44 pm 
***** General

Liked: 259
Huckabee is not on the confirmed list.

I would imagine that since the results come out right before his show that he will talk a little about the VVS.

http://ilikemikehuckabee2012.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:38 pm 
***** General

Liked: 183
Gov. Huckabee is not attending VVS this year.