Hucks Army - Faith. Family. Freedom. [Grassroots] JOIN HUCKS ARMY | GET INVOLVED | FUNDRAISING | LINKS | LEADERSHIP | ABOUT
It is currently Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:24 pm 
Major General

Liked: 147
http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la-pn-poll-obamas-a-muslim-to-many-gop-voters-in-alabama-mississippi-20120312,0,334348.story
Quote:
A few states, including Alabama, kept the laws even though they could no longer be enforced. Alabama finally repealed its law in 2000 through a public referendum, though 40% of the electorate voted in favor of keeping interracial marriage illegal.

The PPP poll released Monday showed some changes, with 67% of Alabama Republicans saying they believe interracial marriage should be legal, though 21% said it still should be against the law. In Mississippi, 54% said it should be allowed, while 29% said it should remain illegal.
I can't believe there are still that many people who think interracial marriage should be illegal. I realize under 30% is a minority of Republican voters but it's an awfully large minority.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:40 pm 
Colonel

Liked: 1
First, I wonder how differently the outcome would be if the Democrats were polled.
As a Southerner, I can say that most Democrats I know are more closed minded on race issues than Republicans.

Second, what ethnic groups were surveyed? Did they know if they were talking to a white and not a native american, black, or hispanic or marshallese or vietnamese?
From my experience whites aren't any more prejudiced than other ethnic groups in the south.

Post by Polly A Liked by: mxnwilson

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:57 pm 
***** General

Liked: 525
I can't begin to describe how badly the relations between the GOP and black voters have been damaged. I've been talking about this topic for years here now. But, honestly, although I thought back in 2008 that the perception of the GOP by blacks was as bad as it could get, that perception is good compared to how most blacks see the GOP today. I personally mostly blame the GOP for this perception. There is no leadership in the party that seems to have both the authority and the interest in addressing the things that cause people to view the party as an organization that has a high tolerance for racism within its ranks. What's most unfortunate is that the things that cause this perception are, for the most part, not about policy but about things that people say, how they say them, and the seeming lack of interest among politicians in having a sustained interest in reaching out to voters who aren't white and aren't middle age or older.

(I have not given up on writing my book, although I started working on it four years ago. I have a very busy job and multiple family members with special needs and have been trying to balance everything. But, prayerfully, I will one day, sooner rather than later, be able to contribute to this topic in the form of actual literature).

I am still stunned that I've seen almost no outreach to black voters by the GOP Presidential candidates. Maybe if somebody had thought to spend some time at least talking with black voters in places like Michigan and Ohio, there could have been votes that swung those contests the other way. But no one even seems to think about doing that.

Most black folks I talk with about politics, whether they be conservative (which many of them are), moderate, liberal, whether they have a high income (which a number of them do), a medium income or a low income, regardless of where they live and regardless of their opinions of individual candidates, are absolutely convinced that the GOP as a party is hostile to people of color in general and especially toward blacks. Very, very sad statement.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:43 pm 
Major General

Liked: 147
Polly A wrote:
Second, what ethnic groups were surveyed? Did they know if they were talking to a white and not a native american, black, or hispanic or marshallese or vietnamese?
From my experience whites aren't any more prejudiced than other ethnic groups in the south.

First, we know it probably wasn't very many African Americans since very few of them are registered Republicans and that's who they asked. Second, I'm somewhat aware of the prejudice among non-whites. I'm a white woman married to a Hispanic man. I lived in S. TX for 3 years and faced a lot of prejudice because I didn't have the right to one of "their men". I also grew up in a predominantly non-white community and had difficulty gaining acceptance among the other children in school because I wasn't like them. I'm not saying that white Republicans hold the market on prejudice in this country, far from it. I'm saying that this kind of poll results points to the public relations problem the Republican party has with African American voters. I highly doubt a similar poll among African Americans (even in the South) would net similar results.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:15 pm 
***** General

Polly A wrote:

Racism isn't something that is confined to any one group of people. Racists come in all colors, live in all regions and exist in both political parties.

I also think that when many Republicans hear statements about how the party is received, they hear a direct accusation that they are considered racist, which is not the case at all.

My statement about the perception that many have of the Republican Party is about that - the public perception. I do think that there has been entirely too much deference given to people over the years who are racially divisive and who have been in positions of party leadership or other significant influence. I think that someone - anyone - should take the leadership mantle of working to change the way that the party is seen and to hold accountable people who drive conservative voters of different hues away, as has been happening.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:18 pm 
***** General

Liked: 374
Quote:
I do think that there has been entirely too much deference given to people over the years who are racially divisive and who have been in positions of party leadership or other significant influence.

Like who? Not saying you're not right, I just can't think of any.

Or bring more or more blazon man’s distress.
And I not help. Nor word now of success:
All is from wreck, here, there, to rescue one—
Work which to see scarce so much as begun
Makes welcome death, does dear forgetfulness.
Or what is else? There is your world within.
There rid the dragons, root out there the sin.
Your will is law in that small commonweal…
G.M. Hopkins.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:38 pm 
***** General

Miserere wrote:
Quote:
I do think that there has been entirely too much deference given to people over the years who are racially divisive and who have been in positions of party leadership or other significant influence.

Like who? Not saying you're not right, I just can't think of any.

It would take some time for me to build a list but I'll pull some that I've posted over the years from Huck's Army:
California GOP Board Member's email depicts Obama as chimp
viewtopic.php?f=141&t=24999&p=208450&hilit=tennessee+email#p208450

Palm Beach GOP faces lawsuit from Ex-Klan wizard's son
http://forum.hucksarmy.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=22262&hilit=klan

GOP aide rebuked for racist e-mail
http://forum.hucksarmy.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=20129&hilit=magic+negro

VV Summit sells 'Obama Waffles' with racial stereotype
http://forum.hucksarmy.com/viewtopic.php?f=138&t=15631&hilit=waffles

Chip in Trouble over insensitive CD-Newt Comments!
http://forum.hucksarmy.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=18072&hilit=magic+negro

Georgia GOP congressman calls Obamas `uppity'
http://forum.hucksarmy.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=15435&hilit=uppity

There are probably hundreds of things like this which have happened in just the past couple of decades. If I had more than five minutes to spare, I would give a more detailed answer.

You know, just the kinds of messages that you'd expect would make the GOP more attractive to the thirteen percent or so of the electorate who are black. Many of whom live in swing states (which are largely swing states only because of the fact that the GOP has about 20% of the population voting 90% of the time for the other party because people view the party as racist).

Mike Huckabee, if he were the candidate, would have been able to make this divide smaller by simply doing something as simple as actually talking to black voters in the same way that he'd talk to anyone else. But for some reason, none of the highly paid political consultants have ever thought about the secret tactics "actually talk to black voters" and "tell the racially divisive idiots to pipe down" as being viable campaign tactics.