Hucks Army - Faith. Family. Freedom. [Grassroots] JOIN HUCKS ARMY | GET INVOLVED | FUNDRAISING | LINKS | LEADERSHIP | ABOUT
It is currently Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:24 am 
General

Liked: 0
Has there been polling data to show how things are going? He has had a lot of great endorsements.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:53 am 
***** General

Liked: 31
Another opportunity to fix our broken congress missed. I wish Mike would have helped Dean......
Summers, Pingree win Maine congressional primary

AUGUSTA, Maine (AP) — It will be Republican Charlie Summers against Democrat Chellie Pingree in the Maine District 1 congressional election in November.

Summers, a former state senator who recently returned from duty with the Navy in Iraq, defeated Dean Scontras of Eliot in Tuesday’s Republican primary.

Summers, who has campaigned twice previously for Congress, was ahead of Scontras with 59 percent of the vote with votes talled in 51 percent of the district’s precincts.
Pingree defeated Adam Cote and four other opponents in Southern Maine’s 1st District Democratic race.

Pingree, a former Senate majority leader who later served as national chair of Common Cause, raised the most money and maintained a comfortable lead.

With 57 percent of precincts voting, Pingree, of North Haven, had 44 percent of the vote while while Cote, a Portland lawyer and Iraq war veteran, had 26 percent.

In the Senate, Maine Democrats chose Rep. Tom Allen over political newcomer Tom Ledue. Allen will face two-term Sen. Susan Collins, who was unopposed in the Republican primary, in November

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:26 pm 
***** General

please see.....
viewtopic.php?f=143&t=17582

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:35 pm 
***** General

Dean's running again......please reach out to your contacts @ HuckPAC for an endorsement
http://www.scontras2010.com

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 7:14 am 
***** General

Address to the 2010 Maine Republican Party Convention- May 8,2010

I grew up in a small, white house atop 30 Love Lane in Kittery. Our dinner table was actually an old fashioned, redwood picnic table that we hauled into our kitchen from the backyard. There were 9 of us -- finances were tight so we improvised. But, it was there at that table where I learned many valuable life lessons. I’d learn how my grandparents came to Maine LEGALLY from Greece and how they made a better life for themselves by embracing freedom and opportunity. I’d learn how my father served in Korea, my Uncles in World War II.

But it is one morning I remember in particular that changed my life - it was the morning of July 4th, 1976. I was six years old and there was much for my parents to worry about in the world -- The economy was faltering, inflation and interest rates were rising, Jimmy Carter was surging and Communism was advancing across the globe. I am sure my father was concerned about the future of the country and the impact it may have upon his children.

My oldest brother had long since left for the Naval Academy and the six of us were huddled around that table. I assume like most summer mornings we were already in our bathing suits eating breakfast and preparing for a day at York Harbor Beach. At the time, the fourth of July just meant fireworks and barbecues to me.

Unexpectedly, my father took my hand and whisked me out into the warm summer morning and put me in the family station wagon. We drove downtown Kittery. We stood among the throngs of other families -- there the two of us alongside the road -- waiting. Before I could see anything I could hear the booming of the bass drum. I saw the marching band as it approached. I remember what seemed to be a sea of red, white and blue flags as they waved. The number 76 encircled by a crown of stars. I remember the marines in their dress blues. I remember how they maintained perfect posture while parading the colors. They never broke their stride. America was celebrating 200 years of independence and one could see and feel what it meant.

I would have the same feeling many times throughout life - I experienced it age 10, when we went to Bunker Hill. I felt it when I watched the Berlin Wall fall on a small television from my dorm room at the University of Maine. I felt it when I stood in the blood-stained battlefields of Manassas, Virginia where the battle of Bull Run was fought. When I traveled to Hawaii and peered into the crystal waters and watched the drops of oil slowly rise from the sunken hull of the USS Arizona. When I saw the haunting images of the Korean War Memorial where the inscription rightly reads “Freedom is not Free.” Now I realize, that whether it was the men of the twentieth Maine, or those who were on the deck of the Arizona -- its always been ordinary Americans who are called to do the heroic . Thomas Payne was a corset maker, Samuel Adams an unsuccessful business man and tax collector. Lincoln a self educated prairie lawyer. Reagan an actor. The men who raised the flag on Iwo Jima. The firefighters who raised the flag upon ground zero.

So it wasn’t without a bit of irony just a few weeks ago, my 5 year old daughter would point to a picture of Reagan’s beaming face and ask “Daddy, who is that man?” Freedoms tradition is now placed upon me to pass on to my children. It is placed upon on us -- parents, grandparents, uncles and aunts to hand off to another generation. We must tell them the stories, take them to the parades, to our memorials and museums so they may feel what we know to be true – that this country is freedoms “last best hope.” We should give our children freedom as we found it. We must hand it to them in full working order, with its beaming light still a beacon the world over.

Though we still live in a dangerous world today, the challenges to freedom are fundamentally different than those in we’ve faced in the past. On television and movies we see a pop culture that does not esteem our country’s celebrated history, its patriotism. A world of academia that makes excuses for our proud history. A corrupt culture in Washington that prioritizes favor over honor and virtue. We saw this during the healthcare debate with The Louisiana Purchase, the Cornhusker kickback. So it is you and I – the ordinary - mothers and fathers, business owners – freedom lovers who stand firmly in their way. We stand with generations of Americans who have protected freedom before. The Constitution as our cornerstone. Freedoms spirit is now the working mother who makes her way 100s of miles to express her discontent about government spending. It is the people of NJ, Virginia and most recently Massachusetts who remind us what is possible.

Too often, we’ve sat idle when we needed to be active, we were silent when we should have stood up, we hoped in someone other than ourselves to carry freedoms precious cargo. So, I come before you today to enlist you to a cause much greater than any one of us. We can no longer be silent. We should no longer look to others to do the job we need to do ourselves. The task daunting but our cause is worthy. The pursuit of freedom should never be clouded by fear or uncertainty. Instead we must do as Lincoln suggested: “The probability that we may fall in the struggle ought not to deter us from the support of a cause we believe to be just.”

In 1974 Reagan communicated this very American sentiment: “You can call it mysticism if you want to, but I have always believed that there was some divine plan that placed this great continent between two oceans to be sought out by those who were possessed of an abiding love of freedom and a special kind of courage.” So we have in our own small way, been given a chance to take our part in this epic tale. This election cycle, we here in this room we – the ordinary – can do the extraordinary. You and I can stop this slide. .

For the last several months, I have awoken early each morning and returned to a darkened house many a night. I have met you in your town halls, schools, your homes, your places of work and worship. I traversed the state telling Mainers we face trillions in debts and deficits. That debt is increasing at an alarming rate of millions of dollars per hour, it threatens to consume the more than 200 years of liberty and all the images and memorials that we have erected in liberties honor. I, for one, cannot in good conscience stand idly by and watch our freedoms shamefully stripped away by this Congress – bill by bill – by Speaker Pelosi and those who blindly follow her, like Congresswoman Pingree.

So for every 1976 there has to be a 1980. For every 2008 there must be a 2010. We enlist ourselves – the ordinary. Lets remind Nancy Pelosi and Chellie Pingree that Maine’s first Congressional seat does not belong to a political party. It especially does not belong to the Congressional Progressive Caucus. It does not belong to a family name. Instead, it belongs to you and me.

Too often we think the heroic is reserved for great acts performed by someone else sometime in the past – something we just read in history books – we think, heroes are just memorialized in stone – We make the mistake of not including ourselves, political lay people, as players in freedoms march. If successful, this campaign and all the other campaigns for office across the state will be so not because of “candidates” but because of countless individual actions you take between now and November. What will you do for victory? What will you do for freedom?

In the end, there will be no parades or memorials erected in your honor. Instead, our reward will be our conscience – that in our time, we did what we could do. And perhaps, someday around your dinner table, you will be able to look your grand children in the eye and tell them you were there, that you did what you could, that together we helped preserve freedom by sending Chellie Pingree home and removing the gavel from Nancy Pelosis far left reaching hand.

God bless you and God bless America!

Thank you.

This is a campaign of and by the people of Maine. Together we stand and say "NO" to the left-reaching policies of Nancy Pelosi and the Congressional Progressive Caucus.
So, I ask you again- What will you do for victory? What will you do to support our efforts against the well-organized and well-funded Democrat machine?
Here are two things you can do right now. Sign up to volunteer, and contribute what you can to our campaign.
http://scontras2010.com/civicrm/contrib ... set=1&id=1
Do it today. Do it now. This campaign will only succeed with your involvement. Thank you.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:35 am 
***** General

So disappointed in HuckPAC.....
http://www.scontras2010.com/node/181
Romney endorsed Dean's opponent Charlie Summers in '08........Dean is a Huckabee Conservative - huge opprtunity lost here!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:02 am 
***** General

MoveOn.Org Panics:
Chellie Pingree is
"critically close"
to Losing...

It's True! MoveOn.Org is urging members to volunteer to help Chellie Pingree, a member of Congress they describe as "a true progressive champ."

The panic-filled mailer from Adam Ruben of MoveOn.Orgs' Political Action office stresses that the far-left risks losing one of their most reliable votes to a fiscal conservative challenger who has pledged to repeal ObamaCare! (At least they got one thing right!)

MoveOn.Org is a radical left-wing activist group that got its start defending Bill Clinton during his Impeachment, and they wanted everyone to just Move On!

Now they want Mainers to Move On... and overlook Chellie Pingree's many shortcomings, hypocrisies and dismal voting record (a 98% rubber-stamp of the Pelosi agenda.)

Fight Back! Dean Scontras is being out-spent by the Wall Street Financiers who run Mrs. Pingree's campaign by at least five-to-one. In addition, the Democratic National Committee is spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on ads to smear Dean Scontras; Donald Sussman just gave the Maine Democrat Party another $300,000 check to attack Dean Scontras; and other odd assorted groups are springing up to pile on more false charges in scare ads.

The reason is clear: their radical left agenda is being threatened by the fresh ideas and straight talk of Dean Scontras - so the usual suspects are rushing into Maine to fight for their seat in Congress.

1) Donate Now to Run More TV Ads

2) Volunteer Today

Our three phone banks are an effective way to generate enthusiasm for replacing Chellie Pingree with Dean Scontras. The calls are easy, and now we have three locations to make it more convenient for you. We're there Monday-Saturday evenings from 6:00 PM to 8:30 PM:

SACO - 144 Main Street

TOPSHAM - The Border Business Center, 2 Main Street

NAPLES - 15 Steamboat Landing

Please call the office (772-9595) or contact the campaign via e-mail at inquiries@scontras2010.com and be a key part of the Revolution coming on November 2 - and make sure Maine is right there too! Send Dean Scontras to Congress!

One More Thing... Please FORWARD this email to your friends and relatives in Maine. People are starting to pay attention to the fall campaigns and we need to show everyone the clear and better choice to represent Maine's First District in the U.S. Congress. Thank you.

www.scontras2010.com

PAID FOR BY SCONTRAS FOR CONGRESS 2010; Richard Benoit, Treasurer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:47 am 
***** General

http://www.pressherald.com/news/New-pol ... -tied.html
October 21

New poll: LePage leads; Mitchell and Cutler tied
By John Richardson jrichardson@mainetoday.com
Staff Writer

Republican Paul LePage holds a strong lead in the race to be Maine’s next governor, while Democrat Libby Mitchell and independent Eliot Cutler are now statistically even in second place, according to independent poll results released today.

Democratic incumbent Chellie Pingree and Republican Dean Scontras, meanwhile, are in a statistical dead heat in their race for the 1st District congressional seat, according to the poll.

Critical Insights, a Portland-based research firm, conducted its Fall 2010 Tracking Survey of Maine residents last week. The poll is based on 600 telephone interviews with Maine voters between Oct. 13 and Oct. 17.

When asked who they would vote for if the election were held the following day, 32 percent said LePage, 20 percent said Mitchell and 19 percent said Cutler.
The poll effectively means Mitchell and Cutler were tied because the margin of error is 4 percentage points at the 95 percent confidence level. That means that if the poll were repeated 100 times, in 95 cases the results would be within 4 percentage points of those reported.

When voters in Maine’s first congressional district were asked who they would vote for, 45 percent said Pingree and 40 percent said Scontras. Because of the smaller sample size, the margin of error for that question is 5.7 percent.

In Maine’s 2nd Congressional District, Democratic Incumbent Michael Michaud holds a clear lead over Republican Jason Levesque, 49 percent to 30 percent. The margin of error is 5.7 percent.

Would be a HUGE, HUGE win for Dean to knock off one of the most progressive members in the House........
Please help him!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:38 am 
***** General

Liked: 215
Quote:
Would be a HUGE, HUGE win for Dean to knock off one of the most progressive members in the House........
Please help him!
This would be great to see happen. Thanks for keep us posted on this race.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:55 am 
***** General

http://www.nationalreview.com/campaign- ... n-scontras
‘In this race, at this time, that person is Dean Scontras.’

October 24, 2010 11:35 P.M. By Jim Geraghty
Tags: Chellie Pingree, Dean Scontras

Quite a few readers in Maine are excited that the Portland Press Herald/Maine Sunday Telegram is endorsing Republican Dean Scontras in one of that state’s House races; one of my readers describes it as, “This is the equivalent of the world turning upside down. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen the Herald endorse a Republican challenger to a Democrat incumbent.”The editors of that paper write:

[Democrat] Chellie Pingree is nearing the end of her first term, a time when the conventional political wisdom says incumbents are most vulnerable. Scontras, who was unchallenged in the Republican primary this spring, is out to prove that adage correct.

He deserves to do so. While it is possible to list a number of reasons Pingree might deserve a second term in office, there is a substantial one, outweighing all the others, that says she shouldn’t.

That is the economy. Scontras’ emphasis on fiscal restraint and the absolute necessity to get spending under control without raising the tax burden on any group of Americans is the right answer to the very serious fiscal problems this nation faces.

Those problems result from fiscal policies undertaken by both the present administration and its predecessor, and the finger-pointing now going on both in Maine and nationally is beside the point. We are where we are, and we have to pick people to represent us who have the best shot at doing something effective and useful about it.

In this race, at this time, that person is Dean Scontras.

A recent poll put Scontras behind quite modestly, 40 percent to 45 percent, to the private-jet-denouncing-then-flying Pingree.

Let’s make Dean Scontras our man to help for Monday.
www.scontras2010.com

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:52 am 
***** General

WHOA!
http://www.wcsh6.com/news/story.aspx?st ... 59&catid=2

PORTLAND, Maine (NEWS CENTER) -- Both candidates for congress in Maine's 1st District were getting out the vote saturday.

Former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani campaigned for Republican Dean Scontras. Senators Olympia Snowe and susan collins also addressed the crowd telling them that democrats are taking the country in the wrong direction.

"They want to raise your taxes twenty or thirty percent because they want to take your freedom of choice away, because then they get to choose how to use your money rather than you" Giuliani told the crowd.

Democrats held their own get out the vote rally with Democratic National Committee Chair Tim Kaine. Supporters then went door-to-door encouraging people to vote for Congresswoman Chellie Pingree.

"This is a really important election, there's a big difference between my opponent and I," Pingree said. "One of us is focused on jobs and the economy, making sure that we have healthcare for everybody in this country, that we're looking forward to renewable energy and green jobs. We have a lot of opportunities available to us, we can't turn the clock back and go in the other direction."

The latest Critical Insights poll shows Dean Scontras at forty-five percent and Pingree at forty-one percent - a statistical dead heat. The margin of error is plus or minus five-point-seven percent.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:30 pm 
***** General

Liked: 133
steves wrote:
WHOA!
http://www.wcsh6.com/news/story.aspx?st ... 59&catid=2

PORTLAND, Maine (NEWS CENTER) -- Both candidates for congress in Maine's 1st District were getting out the vote saturday.

Former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani campaigned for Republican Dean Scontras. Senators Olympia Snowe and susan collins also addressed the crowd telling them that democrats are taking the country in the wrong direction.

"They want to raise your taxes twenty or thirty percent because they want to take your freedom of choice away, because then they get to choose how to use your money rather than you" Giuliani told the crowd.

Democrats held their own get out the vote rally with Democratic National Committee Chair Tim Kaine. Supporters then went door-to-door encouraging people to vote for Congresswoman Chellie Pingree.

"This is a really important election, there's a big difference between my opponent and I," Pingree said. "One of us is focused on jobs and the economy, making sure that we have healthcare for everybody in this country, that we're looking forward to renewable energy and green jobs. We have a lot of opportunities available to us, we can't turn the clock back and go in the other direction."

The latest Critical Insights poll shows Dean Scontras at forty-five percent and Pingree at forty-one percent - a statistical dead heat. The margin of error is plus or minus five-point-seven percent.

Go, Scontras! Lord willing, Southern Doc's "wave" will crest at just the right moment for him. Thanks, steves, for keeping us up on this important race :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:06 am 
***** General

So disappointing.......

http://www.mpbn.net/News/MaineNewsArchi ... fault.aspx

Democratic incumbent Chellie Pingree handily defeated Republican Dean Scontras and secured a second term representing the 1st Congressional District.

In recent weeks, controversy had swirled around rides Pingree took on her wealthy fiance's private plane, and polls indicated a tightening race. But Pingree ended election night with 57 percent of the vote much to the joy of supporters celebrating with her at a restaurant on Portland's working waterfront.

"This was a hard, hard election, this is a difficult year, but we did one thing and we did it right," she said. "We proved this is about the issues."

Issues that Pingree says she would continue to push for once she returns to the U.S. House, even though it will now be under Republican control.

"It'll be about jobs for people in Maine, about health care, about making sure we end our dependence on foreign oil. It may be tougher in this session of Congress, but it will be even more important to keep up that fight," she said.

In his hometown of Eliot, Scontras conceded the race in an address to supporters. Scontras, an alternative energy business owner who had run for the U.S. House two years ago, said he was taken aback by the results.

"Very surprised, we saw the trends starting rather early and it continued through the night, and again trying to figure out why the polls were one thing and the results were another," he said.

Scontras says he had run a race on the issues--namely lower taxes and less government regulation. But he says his campaign was no match for Pingree's formidable war chest.

"The only money I can talk about is what we raised, which was $400,000," he said. "All my messages and all my commercials were positive. They were me speaking directly into the camera about my message. In contrast, the independent expenditures that she had totaled upwards of $800,000."

Oliver Woshinsky, professor emeritus of political science at the University of Southern Maine, says he had expected Pingree to win despite the anti-incumbency wave sweeping the country. Aside from the flap about taking rides on a private plane, Woshinsky says the race was hers to lose.

"She didn't mess up in any dramatic way. The people of the 1st District of Maine lean Democratic in a normal year," he says. "And there was nothing particularly charismatic, perhaps, or dramatic about her opponent that would lead people to desert Chellie."

But Woshinsky says things did not look as rosy for Pingree just last week, when a poll showed her in a statistical dead heat with Scontras.

Negative advertising from the Maine Republican Party focused on Pingree's rides on fiance Donald Sussman's plane helped turn Biddeford pastor Bob Rice against her. He saw it as a symbol of her lifestyle.

"Definitely out of the league of the working class, certainly not empathetic, I don't think, and understanding what the working-class has to go through," he said.

But the Republican threat facing Pingree helped get some of her supporters out to the polls. Outside a Portland polling station, Paul Lipman said he didn't care about the plane rides.

"You know she didn't go out seeking someone with their own plane, but that's the person she fell in love with. I don't think you can criticize her for that," he said.

Lipman, a social worker at the Togus VA Medical Center, says he likes Pingree's progressive views. "She really does a lot to support veterans and that's very impressive to me, and I think she just seems like a very down-to-earth, intelligent woman."

At the Porthole restaurant, Pingree celebrated with her children, who include Hannah Pingree, Maine's outgoing Speaker of the House.

One of the biggest cheers of the night was reserved for Pingree's fiance Sussman. "I want to thank my partner Donald who took some hard knocks in this campaign," she said, to loud cheers from the crowd.

Scontras, meanwhile, says that he will not be running again for Congress. He says twice is enough.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:32 am 
***** General

This IS a great day for America!

Not so great for the Dean Scontras Campaign, but it's very good boost for our message and our fundamental beliefs!

- The Gavel is OUT of Nancy Pelosi's Hands!

- The Tax & Spend & Debt insanity will be controlled!

- The Radical Left's takeover binge ends soon!

- And ObamaCare will be flat-lining too!

Here in Maine, the Legislature changed hands - which is even more important than the Governor's Race when you get into the spending and regulatory details.

And there's a good chance that our friend Paul LePage will be moving into the Blaine House too.

In our First District Race - we are proud of the campaign we ran, and wouldn't do anything differently.

In the end, too many far-left groups from coast-to-coast carpet-bombed the state of Maine with false attack ads. They probably out-spent us fifteen-to-one. There isn't much to do at that point except keep telling the truth - which is why we hold our heads high today.

And you should too!

Thank you for your support of the Dean Scontras for Congress Campaign!

www.scontras2010.com

PAID FOR BY SCONTRAS FOR CONGRESS 2010; Richard Benoit, Treasurer