Hucks Army - Faith. Family. Freedom. [Grassroots] JOIN HUCKS ARMY | GET INVOLVED | FUNDRAISING | LINKS | LEADERSHIP | ABOUT
It is currently Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:53 pm 
***** General

Liked: 13
Quote:
Senate Dems Could Throw Out Minnesota Election Result
Posted by: Matt Lewis at 11:32 AM
Roll Call is reporting that both Harry Reid and Chuck Schumer (Chair of the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee) are open to bringing Al Franken's recount protests before the Senate. It is theoretically possible for them to reject the final results from Minnesota, refuse to seat Sen. Norm Coleman, and seat Franken instead...regardless of the final vote count.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:34 pm 
Brigadier Geneal

Liked: 84
I think it was Lucille Ball who stated, "I'm shocked that I'm not shocked at anything anymore." Why am I not surprised at this? :(

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:19 pm 
***** General

Liked: 653
Nothing would shock me. But this would be self-destructive on their part.

The Democratic Party would loose greatly by bulldozing Franken into the Senate. The gain in going from 58 to 59 seats would not be worth the bitterness which would prevail in that body in the Republican minority over the next two years (at a minimum). Mitch McConnell with 41 unified Senators could tie the Senate in knots.

Besides -if you were Reid and Schumer would you want Franken? Really? :wink:

"As for us, our days of combat are over. Our swords are rust. Our guns will thunder no more. The vultures that once wheeled over our heads must be buried with their prey. Whatever of glory must be won in the council or the closet, never again in the field. I do not repine. We have shared the incommunicable experience of war; we have felt, we still feel, the passion of life to its top."

Oliver Wendell Holmes

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:44 am 
***** General

Liked: 72
If this happens it is a move towards Senatorial Totalitarism.

"If there was hope, it must lie in the proles..." George Orwell's Nineteen Eighty-Four

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:43 am 
***** General

Liked: 13
Southern Doc wrote:
The gain in going from 58 to 59 seats would not be worth the bitterness which would prevail in that body in the Republican minority over the next two years (at a minimum). Mitch McConnell with 41 unified Senators could tie the Senate in knots.

Agreed. It would be another one-upman-ship in the acrimony which has existed since Judge Bork (and amplified with Clarence Thomas). Longterm Republican Senators may still have not completely gotten over it. I know it annoys me if I think about it. I have to let it go, after all its been twenty years. :(