Hucks Army - Faith. Family. Freedom. [Grassroots] JOIN HUCKS ARMY | GET INVOLVED | FUNDRAISING | LINKS | LEADERSHIP | ABOUT
It is currently Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Endorser’s Remorse
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 9:15 am 
***** General

Liked: 13
Quote:
Wall Street Journal
May 6, 2010, 9:10 AM ET

Endorser’s Remorse: Switch in Nev. Senate Race

Looks like evangelical leader James Dobson, who switched his endorsement to Rand Paul in the Kentucky Senate race, isn’t the only person to get endorser’s remorse.

The anti-incumbent Change the Congress in 2010 Political Action Committee retracted its endorsement of Nevada Republican Sue Lowden, a former state party chairwoman, and instead backed Sharron Angle, a favorite of the Tea Party Express.

Catherine Welborn, executive director of the PAC, emailed her members on April 28 to say, “I Made a Mistake!!!” for announcing a month earlier that she was backing Lowden. The winner of the GOP primary on June 8 will take on Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid in a race viewed as a tossup.

“After all, I’m only human and God is the only perfect being,” she wrote. Welborn said her endorsement of Lowden was “made prematurely and without having 100% of the facts. A reason, not an excuse,” she said, adding: “This was unfortunately a big blooper… I apologize if I led anyone astray. From the mail I’ve been getting, not too many of you agreed with that endorsement.”

In an interview with Washington Wire, Welborn said she had been swayed by the feedback she had received from people on the PAC’s mailing list and on her Facebook page. That led her to conclude that “Sue Lowden was too slick, too much of a politician. Politicians are what’s wrong with this country, ones that don’t represent their constitents at any rate… Sharron Angle is more of a real person.”

Welborn said the PAC mostly supports candidates by promoting them to its 20,000 member mailing list rather than donating money.

Outside Nevada, Lowden is perhaps best known for suggesting that patients should bargain – or barter — for health care.

Post subject: Re: Endorser’s Remorse
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 9:18 am 
***** General

I was thinking this might be a good thread to post stories of endorsement switches. Given that, there seems to be a phenomenon of premature endorsements this cycle.

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 9:20 am 
***** General

Quote:
Wall Street Journal
May 3, 2010, 2:39 PM ET

Dobson Retracts Grayson Support, Endorses Rand Paul

Another sign momentum is building for Rand Paul in the Kentucky Senate GOP primary: James Dobson today retracted his endorsement last week of Secretary of State Trey Grayson and put his support behind Paul.

In his announcement, Dobson blamed unnamed party leaders for misleading him on Paul’s record.

“Have you ever made an embarrassing mistake? I did just that last week. I was given misleading information about the candidacy of Dr. Rand Paul, who is running in the Republican Primary for the U.S. Senate,” the evangelical leader said in a statement posted on Paul’s campaign Web site. “Senior members of the GOP told me Dr. Paul is pro-choice and that he opposes many conservative perspectives, so I endorsed his opponent.”

Dobson continued: “I now know that he is avidly pro life. He believes that life begins at conception. He opposes earmarking and supports Israel. He identifies with the Tea Party movement and believes in home schooling. Sounds like my kind of man.”

Grayson has the support of the Republican establishment, including Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell and Vice President Dick Cheney. Today, Grayson added to his establishment cred today with an endorsement by Kentucky Republican Rep. Hal Rogers, who stressed Grayson’s fiscal record.

“You can count on Trey Grayson to stand up to the tax, spend, and borrow agenda of Obama, Pelosi, and Reid,” Rogers said.

While he was the early favorite in the race, Paul has proven himself a formidable opponent with his fund-raising skills and grassroots appeal. It doesn’t hurt that his dad is Texas Rep. Ron Paul.

Paul is now leading Grayson in public polling ahead of the May 18 primary.

Last week, Texas GOP Sen. John Cornyn, who runs the Senate Republicans’ campaign operation, told reporters that if Paul wins the primary he will have the full support of the party apparatus.

“If Rand Paul is the nominee we will gladly do everything in our power to see that he is the next United States senator from Kentucky,” Cornyn said.

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 11:01 am 
***** General

Liked: 259
What I find irresponsible is that these people who endorse don't really do any research or vetting of the candidates they endorse. Why would I ever listen to their "word" of endorsement when they are actually just taking someone's else "word" on the candidate?

If a politician or religious leader is going to endorse someone, they should do it based on their own set of researched facts, not some assistant that they rely on.

http://ilikemikehuckabee2012.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 11:29 am 
***** General

Liked: 183
ConservTexan wrote:
What I find irresponsible is that these people who endorse don't really do any research or vetting of the candidates they endorse. Why would I ever listen to their "word" of endorsement when they are actually just taking someone's else "word" on the candidate?

If a politician or religious leader is going to endorse someone, they should do it based on their own set of researched facts, not some assistant that they rely on.

All of our "leaders" in the political/conservative arena have to rely on their PAC directors/staff/assistants/confidants/grassroots leadership to help vet potential endorsements. These key individuals present all kinds of info and perspective to the endorser. Leaders simply do not have the time to do all of it themselves. That is why they must surround themselves with competent, savy team of individuals who are trustworthy. That said, the endorser bears the final responsibility.

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 12:21 pm 
***** General

Liked: 259
Wouldn't we all have loved if Dobson and Paul Weyrich had done their own research and vetting of Gov. Huckabee rather than relying on the "insiders" who were giving them the information? I am sure if they had talked with Gov. Huckabee personally and discussed all the issues with him, they would have endorsed him right away. Instead they were misled in 2008 and either went with Romney or were leaning Romney.

http://ilikemikehuckabee2012.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 12:47 pm 
***** General

Public figures who expect their endorsement to carry some weight in the political arena would do well to have someone(s) who can present the contrary view, or the "down side".

It is said that Presidents (and Presidential candidates) are often ill-served because they are many times surrounded by "yes men" (or women) who merely affirm them. Like some wives who tell their balding husbands their comb-over isn't noticeable, or husbands who tell their wives those white leggings :shock: look fine.

Public figures need someone who will tell them what they don't wanna hear, the opposing view, or sometimes the ugly truth.