Hucks Army - Faith. Family. Freedom. [Grassroots] JOIN HUCKS ARMY | GET INVOLVED | FUNDRAISING | LINKS | LEADERSHIP | ABOUT
It is currently Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:19 pm 
***** General

Liked: 653
Well we've got everything in place but Mike.

Here's the lastest "scare the establishment" poll showing that Romney's core voters are as few as the number of times he ever actually "sat around the kitchen table trying to figure out how to pay the bills."

Quote:
A new poll from Public Policy Polling has the one-time Godfather's Pizza CEO leading Mitt Romney by eight percentage points, 30 percent to 22 percent.

Those are the exact same percentages the very same polling outfit reported yesterday for Cain and Romney in Iowa where the first formal GOP presidential preference caucuses will occur in early January.

PPP's national poll had Newt Gingrich, the former U.S. House speaker, at 15 percent and Texas Gov. Rick Perry at 14 percent.

Just to be clear: This is a National poll not a state poll.

Cain is the Tea-Party favorite by 39% to 13% for Romney (Romney is actually fourth with these voters). Romney does lead Cain among "non Tea-Party Republicans" but only by a scant 29% to 27%. Again we are seeing Romney as doing best among those least likely to support the core agenda of the Republican Party since Reagan.

This polling was done up to, but not including, last night so the next few days will see if the "Rally to Romney" effort of the old gaurd is working or if the Greenspan and 999 plan defense hurt Cain.

What is most facinating in the poll is the finding that Cain''s surge is simply an indicator of dissatisfaction with the field (duh!). But the poll quantifies this:

Quote:

There are indications within the poll that Cain's stay at the top could be short lived. Only 30% of his supporters are solidly committed to him with 70% saying they might still go on to support someone else.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/itsallpolitics ... y-8-points

Any suggestion as to who could still enter at such a late date to give the conservative non-establishment bulk of GOP primary voters someone to actually vote FOR?

"As for us, our days of combat are over. Our swords are rust. Our guns will thunder no more. The vultures that once wheeled over our heads must be buried with their prey. Whatever of glory must be won in the council or the closet, never again in the field. I do not repine. We have shared the incommunicable experience of war; we have felt, we still feel, the passion of life to its top."

Oliver Wendell Holmes

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:33 pm 
***** General

Liked: 215
very interesting... however Mike has said for a long time, even before he announced his decision to not run, that he needed some establishment support (essentially), so that is a significant prerequisite

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:43 pm 
***** General

FirstCoastTerp wrote:
very interesting... however Mike has said for a long time, even before he announced his decision to not run, that he needed some establishment support (essentially), so that is a significant prerequisite
Sadly I must agree.

My hope has long been that those folks are so fundamentally pragmatic that they will want victory more than anything else. A Cain nominee would be for them a "bad" outcome. A Cain win against Obama would not even be a "good" outcome. A Romney win, who clearly is so weak he'll be able to find a way to loose to Obama, would be a "bad" outcome. A Huck nomination and win over Obama would be a "less bad" outcome.

Come on establishment think it through. Do you want another Harry Reid like victory at the hands of the Tea Party who will NOT go along with the milktoast insiders anymore? Do you want another Bob Dole? Do you want another McCain?

"As for us, our days of combat are over. Our swords are rust. Our guns will thunder no more. The vultures that once wheeled over our heads must be buried with their prey. Whatever of glory must be won in the council or the closet, never again in the field. I do not repine. We have shared the incommunicable experience of war; we have felt, we still feel, the passion of life to its top."

Oliver Wendell Holmes

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:51 pm 
***** General

Liked: 66
Southern Doc wrote:
My hope has long been that those folks are so fundamentally pragmatic that they will want victory more than anything else.

With Mike's reluctance to get in, this is truly our only hope.

--Attention Guests--
Join the Discussion!
Click the graphic to join!

:army

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:04 pm 
***** General

More footsteps behind the whistling graveyard walking GOP gaurd who think they have Romney's path secure:

Wall Street Jornal Poll just out confirms PPP.

Cain leads Romney 27% to 23% nationally

take away:
Quote:
Cain’s numbers are sky-high among Republican primary voters. Fifty-two percent view him favorably, versus just 6 percent who see him unfavorably. Among Tea Party supporters, his favorable/unfavorable score is 69 percent to 5 percent. And among Republicans who identify themselves as “very conservative,” it’s 72 percent to 2 percent.

In follow-up interviews with respondents supporting Cain, they argue that he’s not a politician, and that he seems real. “He has common-sense answers and is in touch with the heartbeat of America,” said one respondent, a 46-year-old male from Florida.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44881446/ns ... sion_2012/

When they announced this on FOX just a few minutes ago Krauthammer couldn't "bite his tongue" and said, "this just shows the bitter, bitter, resistance to embracing Romney as the nominee." He clearly still hoped the rank and file would get behing the leadships choice. But he is not a fool. He knows that is not a given. All the GOP leaders know what happened in Delaware, Colorado, Nevada, and Kentucky in 2010. They also know that they lost those nomination fights and 3 of the 4 general election contests.

We need Cain to now deflect and be energized (as Palin was with her base as well as many of the other 2010 tea Party insurgents) by his critics. The old Gaurd contempt is gasoline on the tea Party flame. Good!

We need the old Gaurd to realize that they will need someone BETWEEN the establishment and insurgent wings of the party or they will get the worst case scenario again.

That is Huckabee.

Oliver Wendell Holmes

Post by Southern Doc Liked by: FirstCoastTerp

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:28 pm 
General

Liked: 41
Unfortunately, I do believe the Establishment would rather have a African American than a former preacher, who they thing would surely lose. So, I don't expect them to back Huckabee ever. Romney is their darling and they are trying to make everybody believe (doesn't matter about polls) that Romney is the leader and forget about everybody else. :wall-yellow

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:40 pm 
***** General

Vote For Truth wrote:
Unfortunately, I do believe the Establishment would rather have a African American than a former preacher, who they thing would surely lose. So, I don't expect them to back Huckabee ever. Romney is their darling and they are trying to make everybody believe (doesn't matter about polls) that Romney is the leader and forget about everybody else. :wall-yellow

I agree.

BUT

We all, me especially, have a tendency to think of and refer to the "GOP Establishment" in monolithic terms. This is not true. They are herd like in instinct but the nation is too big, and political thinking too diverse, for a uniform marching order to always prevail. Reagan broke out only when a very small number of finacial/political mavericks, and frankly political speculators, decided he had a real long shot pay-off potential.

That is who we need.

Two weeks of Cain on top would help. Romney in a panic would help more. Looking for some weakness to hit Cain could bring out his inner contempt. That's when Romney looks his worst and makes his most glaring mistakes. Romney touching the "race" issue third rail would transform everything.

Oliver Wendell Holmes

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:48 pm 
***** General

Liked: 259
I think these kinds of missteps will also show the establishment that Huckabee could get the base excited:

http://ilikemikehuckabee2012.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:27 pm 
** General

Liked: 107
ConservTexan wrote:
I think these kinds of missteps will also show the establishment that Huckabee could get the base excited:

The video won't load for me. What is the video about?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:35 pm 
***** General

Hotair had a piece on it:

Quote:
That’s not exactly a confidence builder. If Cain didn’t have access to “sophisticated analyses,” then why was he drawing conclusions at all? And how sophisticated an analysis would it have taken to see housing prices had become serious decoupled from inflation starting in 1999?

http://hotair.com/archives/2011/10/12/c ... e-existed/

You can read their whole piece there and watch the video there as well.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:04 pm 
Major General

Liked: 54
Just got this email from FRC.

Huckabee will be speaking at a press conference with FRC this Friday in Ohio.
Quote:
Tomorrow, October 13th, the Values Bus will be back in my childhood home of Ohio to meet with students in Circleville. You can join our Ohio Christian University rally at 6:00 p.m., followed by a press conference the following morning at the Warren County Manor House in Mason, Ohio with Gov. Mike Huckabee at 10:30 a.m. To keep up with us, follow @ValuesBus on Twitter

Anyone know what this is about?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:24 pm 
***** General

byourCreator wrote:
Just got this email from FRC.

Huckabee will be speaking at a press conference with FRC this Friday in Ohio.
Quote:
Tomorrow, October 13th, the Values Bus will be back in my childhood home of Ohio to meet with students in Circleville. You can join our Ohio Christian University rally at 6:00 p.m., followed by a press conference the following morning at the Warren County Manor House in Mason, Ohio with Gov. Mike Huckabee at 10:30 a.m. To keep up with us, follow @ValuesBus on Twitter

Anyone know what this is about?

You would be the perfect reporter to be at that press conference.

Remember the HANN always has the scoop.

I bet you would have the perfect question to ask Huckabee.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:33 pm 
***** General

Quote:
Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee will speak Friday at a “Yes on Issue 2” pancake breakfast at the Manor House in Mason hosted by the Warren County Republican Party and Building a Better Ohio.

State Issue 2 is the referendum on Senate Bill 5 on the Nov. 8 ballot. SB 5 restricts public employee collective bargaining rights. Supporters say it gives state and local governments tools to be more efficient and get through tough times.

The national Value Voter Bus tour, with former Ohio Secretary of State Ken Blackwell, also is expected at the breakfast, said Lori Viars, a board member of the Warren County GOP.

The event is free but those wishing to attend must RSVP by Tuesday to Diane Horvath at rdhorvath@roadrunner.com, an invitation said.

http://www.journal-news.com/blogs/conte ... en_co.html

Oliver Wendell Holmes

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:48 am 
Major General

Liked: 54
Quote:
I bet you would have the perfect question to ask Huckabee.

It would appear this is not THE press conference we would like to see, but I might have a question or two anyway:

President elect -- er, I mean --Governor Huckabee, do you see any HOPE in America's future?

Governor Huckabee, you once encouraged Americans to "be the somebody and do the something". Could one of the real problems in America be that there are no more somebodies to do the somethings that need to be done to right our decaying nation?

Post by byourCreator has received Likes: 3 FirstCoastTerp, Huckabeliever, Southern Doc

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:41 am 
***** General

Liked: 190
It's clear that we are looking for ANYBODY but Romney. We tried to like Perry but just couldn't....We don't trust OR like Romney...Then there is Hermain Cain. He speaks common sense, has that great sense of humor Governor Huckabee brought to the race and he has business experience. Problem is, he has never held any political office. Now a few people may see that as a plus, but I see that as a HUGE weakness. I don't know if I could vote for someone with no political background at all. We all know how people tried to criticize Governor Huckabee's lack of foreign policy creds (even though Mitt had even less). Well, Hermain Cain has NONE. Judging from the snippets on FOX this morning of Obama's campaign gearing up to go after Romney for his flip-flopping inconsitency I'd say we should rally around that someone else. The only problem is he isn't out there...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:13 pm 
***** General

If Cain can maintain his boom long enough, and in the face of the effort to rally eveyone to Romney as "inevitable", then the old Gaurd will really have a problem on their hands. (notice again this cycle that Romney's best hope is to not actually have to run against anyone- otherwise he gets the silver).

Cain is at least as good, and actually much better, then any number of successful Tea Party insurgents from 2010. The core of that movement is a refusal to accept the notion that the political "reality" we currently face serves anyone other than a narrow band of connected established elites (on both sides of the so-called ideological divide). The Tea Party is fundamentally Jacksonian Populist and anti-intellectual. Being told they must accept the only "qualified" candidate provided them risks their rage.

The Tea Party crowd is conservative, but part of historic American conservatisim is learning from past and present experience. Ending up with the inner circle's choice of Romney - a priviledged scion of the elite - is as politically tone deaf as anything I can imagine. It throws away the single biggest advantage the Republicans could hold in this cycle - the banner of the "outsider" common sense, common man against the ivory towered elitist Obama. You also throw away numbers two and three (in no particular order) - anti Obamacare; anti TARP corporatism.

I also have serious doubts as to whether Romney in a general election will hold the vote he must have in places like Virginia or North Carolina nor gain the vote he is assumed to appeal to in places like Ohio or Penns.

Romney gets the GOP New Hampshire; Cain the solid South; Huckabee the Whitehouse.

We need Cain to scare some pragmatic sense into the rainmakers. If we don't get that then frankly loosing with Cain won't really bother me that much. If the OBama boil has to come to an eight year head to break us out of this cesspool- so be it.

Go Herman!

P.S. - I don't think Herman Cain should be President. But he's better than Obama and, unlike some, he's willing to run.

The path is still there Mike! I know you can see it. You are too good a strategist not to see it.

Be the someone.

Oliver Wendell Holmes

Post by Southern Doc Liked by: Iowans Rock

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:57 pm 
General

Liked: 41
Southern Doc,

How can the Tea Party support Cain when he has no background for them to check? They are against Huckabee, but support Cain. Why would our party take a chance on nominating Cain who has no experience. Obama would be blasting that over all the U.S. Of course, Obama had no experience when he became President, but we should have learned our lesson from him in that he has a hard time being a leader or making decisive decisions. Being a Governor and having to do that daily is an excellent training ground for President. Even Romney had a very difficult transition with only retaill experience in MA when he became Gov. I believe with no political background Cain would be totally out of his depth.

Of course that leads us to why Mike Huckabee would be a fantastic President. :pray

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:05 pm 
***** General

Vote For Truth wrote:
Southern Doc,

How can the Tea Party support Cain when he has no background for them to check? They are against Huckabee, but support Cain. Why would our party take a chance on nominating Cain who has no experience. Obama would be blasting that over all the U.S. Of course, Obama had no experience when he became President, but we should have learned our lesson from him in that he has a hard time being a leader or making decisive decisions. Being a Governor and having to do that daily is an excellent training ground for President. Even Romney had a very difficult transition with only retaill experience in MA when he became Gov. I believe with no political background Cain would be totally out of his depth.

Of course that leads us to why Mike Huckabee would be a fantastic President. :pray

Because Cain is running and Mike isn't.

Early polling actually showed Huck doing VERY well with the vast majority of the "Tea Party" wing of the GOP. But Mike's got no standard to rally to and Cain does.

Oliver Wendell Holmes

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:37 pm 
Site Admin

Liked: 782
Do you think if Cain were to win the nomination that he might name Huckabee as V.P.? I know some Cain supporters think Huckabee will endorse him.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:46 pm 
***** General

justgrace wrote:
Do you think if Cain were to win the nomination that he might name Huckabee as V.P.? I know some Cain supporters think Huckabee will endorse him.

I have no idea. You don't gain much in the old ideology, swing state, or regional ticket balance game but few have seemed that interested in those criteria in recent contests. You do obviously gain substantial governing experience.

Frankly I have always thought Mike the perfect Vice President more so than President due to what are really his strongest attibutes. That is not meant as an insult. What I mean is that a VP should be chosen based not only on their ability to do the job of President (which Mike can do) but to also do it under the typical circumstances under which a Vice President is called upon to become President. This is something that an elected President does not face.

At such a moment the nation will need a man of obvious faith whose been to many a funeral. You need a calm and sunny spirit.

Mike would be perfect.
(and thus almost certainly won't be chosen)

As the son of a now deseased insurance man I tell you that whoever would be Cain's running mate had better be prepared to step in at a moments notice. I say this with no ill will toward Cain. He has beaten the odds already and I pray that he will do so for many years to come.

Oliver Wendell Holmes