Hucks Army - Faith. Family. Freedom. [Grassroots] JOIN HUCKS ARMY | GET INVOLVED | FUNDRAISING | LINKS | LEADERSHIP | ABOUT
It is currently Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:07 pm 
***** General

Liked: 525
I would get VERY excited about a Rubio/Huckabee ticket.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:01 pm 
***** General

Liked: 275
There should probably be a seperate thread for reasons why Huck didn't do well this time around, but I'll list a few here that I thought hurt him. One, and I know it sounds mean, is that unlike 2008 when Huck was fit & trim and doing his running thing, he looked much older and out of shape this time around. Appearence means more than it should in today's world, but it is what it is as they say. He had that youthful energy 8 years ago where as this looked like the blue suit campaign.

Huck also didn't handle some issues that came his way as well as he could have. Though his positions on Iran & abortion are correct, on both issues he made statements that made some people jittery (the "jews being marched to the doors of the oven" comment and how he dealt with the question of the 12 year old girl who was raped). I thought he was better at walking the tightrope 8 years ago when confronted with questions like this than he was this year.

What wasn't his fault was the absurd way the debates were handled. Even when on the main debate stages he was treated like he shouldn't have been there by the moderators, and that really hurt him with the LIV crowd (low information voters). He needed to more insertive in those debates and not wait for the mods to let him talk. And I do think he should have refused to do some or all of the undercard debates like Rand Paul did. Standing on a stage with Santorum and Gilmore had no advantage to it.

With all that said, having so many candidates vying for the same type of voters made this a very difficult mission for Huck. That momentum he built up in 2008 was still there in 2012 but really diminished over the next 4 years. Huck's best tool was being on Fox and the radio and when he had to give that up he lost his really only way of connecting with a large audience of voters. Without the money to be on the airwaves with ads, he had a hard time being heard amongst the crowded field.

Post by goalieman has received Likes: 2 christopher.wilkerson, TheValuesVoter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:01 pm 
***** General

Liked: 225
I'm beginning to realize more an more what an insult this campaign has been to such a good man. For Huckabee to go from 40,000+ votes in '08, to 3,345 this time is ludicrous. I don't buy the excuse, "oh the voters were just looking for something different, something new." No, this was manipulation. To further compound the insult, people like Fiorina and Kasich outperformed Huckabee, though they barely campaigned in Iowa.

I don't begrudge folks having a fascination with Trump. He's a big tv star. What kills me is Carson and the 1st-term senators thinking that they had any business running for the presidency...and the people going along with it. And after they fail to win the presidency, they're going to stroll back into their cushy Washington D.C. jobs. (Well, Cruz and Paul, at least.)

In a race where the debates are nearly everything, how do you hold back a man like Huckabee who does so well in the debates? Well, you just push him off to the side.

Post by christopher.wilkerson has received Likes: 3 goalieman, juditupp, justgrace

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:13 pm 
Major

Liked: 8
It was the power of media narrative on display which was often disconnected from reality. To me, I think the start of the problem was all the folks that backed Huckabee in 2008 went other ways, you had Ted Cruz's pastor network and you had Bob Vander Plaats. Huckabee also referenced that there were a lot of people who promised to be here and weren't.

When I look at the numbers, I don't think Cruz is going to make it far. Despite his having a "broader appeal" than Huckabee, he only won 18% of the non-Evangelical which was barely more than Huckabee's 16% and with a far smaller percentage of the Evangelical vote (36%). I do think Rubio has a golden opportunity in New Hampshire. As long as he finishes a strong second to Trump, he'll be in very good position to win this thing.

Post by adamelijah has received Likes: 2 goalieman, TheValuesVoter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:42 am 
***** General

In hindsight, the best thing that happened to Huck in 2008 (and Gingrich and Santorum in 2012) was having the perfect opponent in Mittens Romney. Being attacked by a phony like Mittens early on was a great boost for Huck and made him the anti-Romney candidate. This is why 2012 was the perfect time for Huck to have run. There really wasn't that singular villian-like opponent for Huck to go toe to toe with this time and that was a disadvantage for us.

Hindsight being 20/20, I also think Huck should have announced much sooner than he did that he was running again. He needed to get ahead of Carson and Cruz in mobilizing the base of voters he had in 2008 and try and avoid getting that base picked off by those other candidates. Carson in particular got the jump on Huck even before Carson officially anounced.

I think Huck also needed to stick with 3 or 4 main issues and drive them home in this campaign. He seemed to be chasing the issues at times, even though he had the right positions.

As for choosing between Cruz, Trump or Rubio, it's not an easy decision. The Cruz camp seems Romney like in the way they campaign, as evidenced by the false rumor they put out about Carson quitting the race. A caller on the radio today made a good point about Rubio in that despite running for Senate as an anti-amnesty candidate, one of the first things he did when he got to the Senate was to join the gang of 8 immigration group. And we all know about Trump's recent views on a number of issues. It may come down to simply who matches up best with the Dem candidate.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:26 am 
Site Admin

Liked: 782
TheValuesVoter wrote:
WalterCan wrote:
I've been leaning toward Rubio for the last week, and that's probably who I'm going to vote for in South Carolina. I'm about as anti-establishment as you can get, so it's odd that I find myself supporting what is going to be the default establishment candidate, but I cannot vote for Trump, and I've got too many reservations with Cruz at the moment.

How did Cruz manage to convince Evangelicals he was more of an Evangelical than Huckabee?

There is a great deal of evidence that you can find about why. It started years ago with his father Rafael Cruz. I'm still learning a great deal that I wish we had known earlier, especially about those who are convinced by the righteous rhetoric of Sen. Ted Cruz. Governor Huckabee had been promised that if he would run, he would have the support of some influential evangelical leaders. But that did not happen. Gov. Huckabee was abandoned by his "friends," almost entirely for his lack of their fourth pillar--money. No reservation, it seems, in how he were to get it.

As Governor Huckabee points out, there are two Teds, depending on which audience he is addressing. But there is much more. The Evangelical community has been greatly influenced, it seems, by the Dominionist theology via the campaign of "Pastor" Rafael Cruz that was begun before Ted Cruz ran for the senate. His father believes his son is the smartest of men, sent by God to take the "spoils of the wicked" for the "righteous kings," presumably his son. This will supposedly usher in the second coming of the Messiah. Several evangelical leaders, like Tony Perkins, James Dobson, and Bob Vander Plaats, pushed hard (for hours and multiple votes in their strategy meetings) for their fellow leaders to coalesce for Cruz, who was getting the money of billionaires, in contrast to Mike Huckabee, who refused the tainted money of pro-abortion and pro-gay marriage billionaire donors. Yes, they went first to him, before Ted Cruz, but he could not in good conscience receive that money. That Cruz would accept the money of billionaire Mercer and others speaks volumes.

Evangelical leaders could be admired for trying to be unified this time in support of one candidate in order to win. As a campaign strategy to correct the problem of disunity we saw in 2008, it seemed to make sense. Problem is, they endorsed the wrong man. For the wrong reasons. In the wrong way.

The obvious leader of the conservative right should have been the man with governing experience and a true record of consistent support of conservative goals--Gov. Mike Huckabee. Who knows how grave their mistake will be? While they smile at Cruz's victory in Iowa, I think we might more rightly cry. He is not a simple man, but a complex one with a center we can not clearly pinpoint. He is constantly changing positions and votes. And most worrisome, he is uncannily brilliant in his own way.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:47 pm 
***** General

Liked: 72
I hope I am wrong with this analysis but Ted Cruz is starting to remind me a little of Richard Nixon with his personality. scratch

"If there was hope, it must lie in the proles..." George Orwell's Nineteen Eighty-Four

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:48 pm 

Liked: 340
If Christians can be deceived into voting for a deceiver (Ted Cruz), what can we expect of non believers? Where is the hope?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:21 pm 
***** General

Apparently, Huckabee still managed to win one delegate. Could this be useful at the convention?

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/ ... /79794344/

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:28 am 
Major General

Liked: 147
Huckabee can't be Rubio's VP pick since he now lives in FL. :(

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:33 pm 
***** General

beezwax wrote:
I hope I am wrong with this analysis but Ted Cruz is starting to remind me a little of Richard Nixon with his personality. scratch

The same thought crossed my mind about Cruz. Seems to be a dark side about his personality that gets covered up with all the "I'm a purer conservative than you" rhetoric.

For further proof that these debates are a rigged game, Fiorina is excluded from the next debate despite getting more votes than Kasich or Christie in Iowa. No candidate should ever make themselves bound by the RNC's rules in future elections. Huck and some of the others would have been better off holding their own debate forums instead of allowing the networks and the RNC decide their fate by banashing them to the "secong tier" debates.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:24 pm 
***** General

juditupp wrote:

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/story?id=122289&page=1

I think Cheney lived in Texas when he was selected. But he simply changed his residency before the electors cast their votes in Dec. of '00.

Quote:
Cheney, a former Wyoming congressman, lived in Dallas while he was chairman of Halliburton Co. until he changed his voting registration to Teton County, Wyo., on July 21 — four days before becoming Bush’s running mate.

Dick Cheney is a Wyoming resident and therefore would be constitutionally qualified to serve as George W. Bush’s vice president, a federal appeals court ruled today.

The ruling came from the bench after an hour-long hearing in which lawyers for three Texas residents argued that Cheney had moved to Bush’s home state of Texas when he took a job there in 1993.

The 12th Amendment of the U.S. Constitution prevents the president and vice president from living in the same state.

The three-judge appellate panel took a short recess after the arguments, then Judge Patrick Higginbotham returned to say without elaboration that the panel was in agreement that Cheney clearly is a Wyoming resident.

Huckabee also still has kids and grandkids in Arkansas. They probably keep a little place there for when they come to visit.

Post by christopher.wilkerson has received Likes: 2 juditupp, TheValuesVoter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:47 pm 
***** General

Liked: 72
juditupp wrote:
It does not matter anyway. Rubio is too close to the establishment now to ever consider the Gov. They would skewer him.

Sad to say Donald Trump is our only hope for a Vice President Mike Huckabee. :(

"If there was hope, it must lie in the proles..." George Orwell's Nineteen Eighty-Four

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:17 pm 
***** General

Watching the Kelly file and dear lord does she have a hate on for Trump! So much for fair and balanced. And here comes Charles "I know everything" Krauthammer to pile on. Fox is gonna make me sympathetic towards team Trump if this keeps up!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:29 pm 
Major

Liked: 8
Quote:

The certainty might make me consider Trump in the Fall, the possibility won't cause me to vote for Trump in March.

Plus as John Nance Gardener said, "The Vice-Presidency isn't worth a bucket of warm ****"

It's overrated in terms of making a President. Fourteen Vice-Presidents have become President, but nine of those have been on the death or resignation of the President. Since 1836, only two vice-Presidents have been elected President in their own right: Nixon and GHW Bush.

I've thought maybe Huckabee could be pursuaded to run for Governor in Florida in 2018. Would probably do more for his political chances than being Veep.

Post by adamelijah Liked by: juditupp

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:59 am 
Site Admin

Liked: 782
adamelijah wrote:
Quote:

The certainty might make me consider Trump in the Fall, the possibility won't cause me to vote for Trump in March.

Plus as John Nance Gardener said, "The Vice-Presidency isn't worth a bucket of warm ****"

It's overrated in terms of making a President. Fourteen Vice-Presidents have become President, but nine of those have been on the death or resignation of the President. Since 1836, only two vice-Presidents have been elected President in their own right: Nixon and GHW Bush.

I've thought maybe Huckabee could be pursuaded to run for Governor in Florida in 2018. Would probably do more for his political chances than being Veep.

What do you think now?

It's interesting. I think that Huckabee will be on the short list of VP prospects. Perhaps the very short list. He has the respect of the evangelical community, also, as he was chosen by over 1,000 leaders who met in Trump Tower yesterday to be the moderator of the meeting they called with Donald Trump. For the most part, it seemed to draw positive comments.

Gov. Huckabee is just what Trump needs to "moderate" him and help him learn how to govern politically and wisely. Praying for that. It would sure ease many Christians' minds and help them to vote for Trump.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:35 pm 

Liked: 340
justgrace wrote:

What do you think now?

It's interesting. I think that Huckabee will be on the short list of VP prospects. Perhaps the very short list. He has the respect of the evangelical community, also, as he was chosen by over 1,000 leaders who met in Trump Tower yesterday to be the moderator of the meeting they called with Donald Trump. For the most part, it seemed to draw positive comments.

Gov. Huckabee is just what Trump needs to "moderate" him and help him learn how to govern politically and wisely. Praying for that. It would sure ease many Christians' minds and help them to vote for Trump.

Trump needs Huckabee. Huckabee's communication skills are unparalleled. Plus he is very likeable, would give Balance to Mr. Trump's "tough guy" persona image. Just my humble opinion. :D

Post by Peter Liked by: justgrace