Hucks Army - Faith. Family. Freedom. [Grassroots] JOIN HUCKS ARMY | GET INVOLVED | FUNDRAISING | LINKS | LEADERSHIP | ABOUT
It is currently Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:28 am 
Major General

Liked: 12
Quote:
Huckabee helping opponent of critic in House race

Sunday, Apr 27, 2008

By Rob Moritz

Arkansas News Bureau

LITTLE ROCK - Last winter, as former Gov. Mike Huckabee was gaining momentum as a GOP presidential contender, some fellow Republicans from his home state were raising their voices against him to national media, saying he did not represent the party faithful of Arkansas.

Among them, ultra-conservative Randy Minton, a former two-term Republican state representative from Ward, suggested Arkansas' longest serving Republican governor was in fact a "pro-gun, pro-life" liberal.

Minton's criticisms did not appear to affect Huckabee's presidential campaign, but the former governor apparently felt some sting. Despite his new status as national political celebrity, Huckabee is backing Minton's opponent in a very local legislative race.

Davy Carter of Cabot is Minton's GOP opponent for the House District 48 seat in the May 20 Republican primary. Sarah Huckabee, the former governor's daughter and executive director of HuckPAC, a newly created political action committee, confirmed Friday that her father is supporting Carter, and that the PAC would be supporting him, as well.

Jay Barth, a political science professor at Hendrix College in Conway, said it's not unusual for unsuccessful presidential candidates to create PACs as a way "to remain relevant, do some fundraising and interact with people who might support them in future races."

Barth said it is also not surprising that the former governor has come out in support of Minton's opponent after the ex-lawmaker's public criticism.

Huckabee, who withdrew as a presidential candidate in March, announced the creation of HuckPAC earlier this month and said it was designed to raise funds for Republican candidates nationally and in Arkansas.

The PAC has already announced its support of state Sen. Gilbert Baker, R-Conway, who faces a re-election challenge from Democrat Joe White of Conway in the November general election. Gov. Mike Beebe, a Democrat, is backing White.

Huckabee's PAC also has endorsed Republican Sen. John McCain for president, New Hampshire state Sen. Bob Clegg, who is running for that state's 2nd Congressional District seat, and the re-election bid of U.S. Rep. John Linder, R-Georgia.

Carter, an attorney and longtime friend of Huckabee, said he welcomes Huckabee's support and thinks the former governor's popularity while in office and success in the Republican presidential primaries will be a plus for his campaign.

"I think Gov. Huckabee was a great asset to Arkansas," he said. "If he's got time and wants to help (campaign) I will clearly take it," Carter said.

Sarah Huckabee said her father and the PAC support Carter because he is "a young, energetic, very passionate lawyer" and strong family man who favors lower taxes and more government accountability. She did not mention whether Mike Huckabee might have any lingering animosity against Minton for his critical comments in the presidential race.

Minton said he doubts Huckabee's support for his opponent will matter in the House race.

"Since (Huckabee's) endorsement, nobody has brought it up," Minton said, adding it has not been on an issue on the campaign trail. "I'm flattered by the fact that Gov. Huckabee thinks our race for the District 48 seat is important (enough) for him to endorse my opponent."

Minton defended his decision to travel to Des Moines, Iowa, to campaign against Huckabee - the former governor's breakthrough victory came in the Iowa caucuses - and his comments to national media questioning Huckabee's conservative credentials.

"I really don't think that's an issue," Minton said. "That is why you have primaries, so people can have the opportunity to have their records exposed."

Minton served two terms in the House before running unsuccessfully for the state Senate in 2002. He said most people in the district, encompassing a large portion of Lonoke County, still remember him and "my track record."

"I'm pro-life, a defender of the Second Amendment and I have a record of voting against tax increases," he said. "My maturity puts me in a position that I can represent the constituents in District 48."

Minton is chairman of the Arkansas chapter of Phyllis Schlafly's National Eagle Forum. During the 2001 regular session he was among the Legislature's most prolific sponsors of bills, most notably his measures to allow concealed carry permit holders to take handguns into places where they are usually banned. He failed with bills to allow them at bus stops, on school property, in restaurants and at public parks. A 2003 law did allow concealed handguns at parks.

He also unsuccessfully proposed legislation that would have banned gays from adopting or serving as foster parents in the state.

Carter said education and the state's economy are two of his top priorities.

"I'm worried about the future of my three children, and I think I can make a difference," said Carter, who also has a background in banking.

Copyright © Arkansas News Bureau, 2003 - 2006

http://www.arkansasnews.com/archive/200 ... 46064.html

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 12:00 am 
Davy Carter wins!!!
http://cfc.katv.com/external.cfm?p=max

State House Dist 48 -- 14 of 14 precincts reporting (100%)
Davy Carter 1,338 55% (X)
Randy Minton 1,086 45%

Gov. Huckabee also endorsed Ann Clemmer who won her race in Ark Rep Dist 29

State House Dist 29 -- 27 of 27 precincts reporting (100%)
Ann Clemmer 1,208 58% (X)
Brett Hooton 697 33%
Bud Lidzy 190 9%

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 12:08 am 

Liked: 152
Jason,
Thanks for posting the update for us.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 12:18 am 
GrannyT wrote:
Jason,
Thanks for posting the update for us.

Sure. It was another long day at the polls for me. I have been working hard for a good friend of mine who is running for circuit judge - Paul White. He won but it was a three way race and he did only got 46% so it will go to a run off election in November. It was fun to get back out there, waving a sign and working the polls.

Remember the old saying all politics is local? We all need to look around our local politically race for "Huckabees" and get out there and support them. It is fun!