Hucks Army - Faith. Family. Freedom. [Grassroots] JOIN HUCKS ARMY | GET INVOLVED | FUNDRAISING | LINKS | LEADERSHIP | ABOUT
It is currently Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Need Hucks Army thoughts
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:38 am 
***** General

Liked: 3
For those of you who don't know I am running for Local office here in Woodbury County, IA

I am printing off fliers off my personal printer (two fliers to a page, that I cut in half). A promotional flier that tells about myself, a few positions I am holding, and an absentee application on the back.

I'm taking these door to door to door to door etc. You get the idea. I don't have the money for a mass mailing so door to door is the best I can do.

However, buying the ink for my little HP inkjet is killing me, Anyone know of any business that will print say 2000 to 3000 color fliers for a fair price?

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:07 am 
General

Liked: 0
Here in VA we have Kinkos who perform prints and color copies. Not sure if you have them in IA, or how much it would cost.

Your right, color cartridges are expensive especially on a budget. My work had given me 20 unopened HP cartridges (they got new printers), and I gave them away to somebody on Yahoo. If you go to yahoo.com, then Groups, then subscribe to the "Freecycle" group in your area. You can get great stuff. This is were we gave the cartridges to and someone came by our house to pickup.

While your looking for someone to print, what is your HP cartridge # in case we run into some. Not sure if this is helpful, but it is some ideas.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:11 am 
***** General

HP 21 & HP 22

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:14 am 
General

That would be awesome if we had a HuckArmy member in the house who has a printing service.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:22 am 
Is your race Partisan or Non-Partisan? If it is Partisan, you may try calling you State or County Republican office. Sometimes they have established relationships with printers and have a negotiated rate.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:39 am 

Liked: 152
I did a quick Google search for Daniel. I like the way his name is spelled, "Christ offers" :) Here is a link to his web blog http://danielchristoffers.blogspot.com/ DannyPoo has been a staunch supporter of Gov. Huckabee. If you live in his district; he can really use your help. For those of us that don't; let's do whatever we can from afar.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:43 am 
***** General

Liked: 133
Wow, Danny. I think you're the first Hucks Army soldier to run for elected office, although I certainly could be wrong. Congratulations :!:

I don't know if your printer will work with non-HP products. I bought some "cheap imitations" from ebay for my Epson R220, and they worked fine, but we also bought some, from another vendor, for our Lexmark, and they wouldn't work at all.

A printer would be a better way to go, if you can get a good deal.

Remember early in the primaries when several members were having business cards printed for Mike, there was an online dealer who would print a certain number for free? It seems like there were brochure options, too, but I can't remember. I'll try to search it for you.

Mary

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:08 pm 

Danny,
If you can't find a reasonably priced printer to do the work for you; can you refill your cartridges? My son does a lot of printing with his church work on an older all in one type HP that he was able to buy a kit to refill the cartridges with. He refuses to get rid of the old thing for that reason. Refilling them was so easy even I could do it by following the directions.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:53 pm 
***** General

I was thinking about that, i was searching the net for re-fillable cartridges. I'm also looking into some printing services that I found on the net that might be reasonable.

And yes, http://danielchristoffers.blogspot.com/ is my website. Not much to it, but I couldn't afford to buy another domain and hosting services, at least for now.

I realized the other day how fast Nov 4th is coming upon us, less than 100 days. I'm hard at work, tonight i'm delivering 3 more yard signs.

I've got about 25 up, but i need to get up more. Luckily i'm building my connections as time goes on. I'm concerned it won't be fast enough to help me make an impact on the election, but i'll keep working.

Also Granny said :
Quote:
If you live in his district; he can really use your help. For those of us that don't; let's do whatever we can from afar.

This is absolutely true, if you live in Woodbury County Iowa, or NEAR there, please contact me.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:07 pm 
***** General

Liked: 133
Danny,
I've searched all over the posts, and can't find the one about the free printing (business cards &/or brochures). I know it was an online company.
Sorry,
Mary

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:33 pm 
***** General

I think your referring to that Vistaprint I believe, they seem pretty good, and im considering using them.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:53 pm 

Danny,
Do you have a PayPal account set up where some of us can donate? I certainly can't help very much; but even small donations can add up if enough of us a willing to chip in. If so; would you either PM me the info or post it here for all that might want to help out. I didn't really need to buy coffee or pop next week anyway. It won't hurt for me to give it up again for a while like I did when contributing to Mike. I have plenty of generic over the counter pain meds to combat the caffeine withdrawal headaches. :D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:29 pm 
***** General

LOL, well I haven't thought of setting up a paypal account. I might try to do that in the coming days.

I also had an idea about 10 minutes ago, but I don't know how many people here would be up for it.

I was considering getting a phone list from the local county auditor of people who have voted in the last couple of elections. Then try to find people to make calls to people.

Long distance is usually free on cell phones and people could wait till the end of the month when they know they have extra minutes available to use.

Just an Idea i'm throwing out there to see what the response is.

Also ANY campaign ideas, please share. So far what I'm doing is mostly door to door stuff, handing out absentee applications and placing my yardsigns up and around town.

I was planning on doing a little advertising in the small town newspapers as the election draws near as well. It appears that is what my opponent did when he won the election back in 04'

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:40 pm 
General

DannyPoo wrote:
Also ANY campaign ideas, please share. So far what I'm doing is mostly door to door stuff, handing out absentee applications and placing my yardsigns up and around town.

I just wanted to applaud you in going door to door. This was one of the reasons I voted for our County Supervisor as she went door to door introducing herself and asking us what were the issues that concerned us the most. I felt like she really cared. She won re-election.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:45 pm 

Another idea would be to post on the f3 coalition site. I'd use your "DannyPoo" name so they'll recognize you immediately. Many of our former very active members might be still active over there. :?

Setting up my PayPal account was easy enough for me to do. I still run into problems with paying people that don't send me bills. :oops: I like using PayPal because I don't have to give private info out to everyone. It does take a few days to get set up though. I've never sold anything using it so I don't know how to work having money come in.

Andrea was pretty good at getting things going using PayPal for various projects. Speaking of which; did anyone ever post an update on the plaque we bought for Gov. Huckabee :?:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:29 pm 
DannyPoo wrote:
LOL, well I haven't thought of setting up a paypal account. I might try to do that in the coming days.

Yes, Paypal is the way to go. I have set up a couple websites for some candidates I am helping and have used PayPal for them. It is easy to do and a good low cost way to get some contributions. Get it up and running and we will have a "Dollars for Danny" drive.

Quote:
I also had an idea about 10 minutes ago, but I don't know how many people here would be up for it.

I was considering getting a phone list from the local county auditor of people who have voted in the last couple of elections. Then try to find people to make calls to people.

Long distance is usually free on cell phones and people could wait till the end of the month when they know they have extra minutes available to use.

Just an Idea i'm throwing out there to see what the response is.

This is an excellent way to reach voters. Make sure you get a list of people who voted in 2004 as that was the last Presidential Election, so those voters should be similar.

Door to door is the best if you can manage the numbers. From looking at your primary results, it looks like you had about 1,222 total votes (404-818) in your district. In Arkansas, we have about four or five times the turnout for the General compared to the Primary, so that would mean you have about 5,000 voters to reach. This should be a small enough population that door to door can make a big difference. Assuming about two voters per household, you can reach about 10% of the voters by knocking on 250 doors. With about 13 weeks to go, you can reach this by knocking on 20 doors a week. Totally doable!

Quote:

I was planning on doing a little advertising in the small town newspapers as the election draws near as well. It appears that is what my opponent did when he won the election back in 04'

Newspaper ads especially very close to the election are great. In the "down the ballot" elections, name recognization is everything, ie. people tend to vote for the name they know.

Another good place (at least here in Arkansas) is Friday night football games. Get some stickers printed and hand them out to folks as they are walking in.

And then of course, you HAVE to have volunteers at every major poll site with signs on Election Day. This is a must and can make or break you!

The basic rule is get voters to see your name over and over again so that they will recognize it when they see it on the ballot.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:39 pm 
***** General

Quote:
it looks like you had about 1,222 total votes (404-818) in your district. In Arkansas, we have about four or five times the turnout for the General compared to the Primary, so that would mean you have about 5,000 voters to reach.

Unfortunately, these were the number of votes for the office I am running for as per the 2004 eleciton:

County Board of Supervisor - District 4 Total Votes Cast – 40,883

Mark Monson (D) 21,176 votes
Thomas Ullrich (R) 19,680 votes
Scattered Write-ins 27 votes
http://www.woodbury-ia.com/minutesagend ... asp?ID=389

Mark Monson is my opponent this year. Even though candidates are nominated by district, it's elected at-large (county wide).

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:08 pm 
That does change things a bit then on the door to door. I am not saying don't do it but reach about 5% of your voters you will need to knock on about 90 to 100 doors a week.

With this big of a population, I would focus on phone banks, community events, targeted advertising (local papers right before the election), and volunteers on Election Day. You want every voter in your district to have seen your name at least two or three times.

If you have the money to do a mailing, make sure and get a good list. There are companies that specialize in this and they can give you a very good list of likely voters that will keep you from wasting postage and printing on bad addresses.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:28 pm 
***** General

Jason, do you think my yard signs will help me much? As far as I understand, it helps garner Name recognition which is a goal, especially with a name like Christoffers (probably less familiar than my opponents "Monson" name).

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:22 pm 
***** General

Liked: 37
I think this deserves the attention of our Iowa Brigade! You are going to need all the help you can get Danny! I think they should get involved on your behalf!

Speaking of yard signs you may want to read this:

http://www.huckpac.com/?FuseAction=Blog ... og_id=1789