Hucks Army - Faith. Family. Freedom. [Grassroots] JOIN HUCKS ARMY | GET INVOLVED | FUNDRAISING | LINKS | LEADERSHIP | ABOUT
It is currently Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:03 pm 
***** General

Liked: 225
Quote:
Danny,
Do you have a PayPal account set up where some of us can donate?
I'd be willing to contribute a little $ to help out if you figure out the logistics. Also, I think a good way to get you name recognition is to look for Iowa news/politics blogs... small sites like that usually don't charge much for ad space, and some might give it for free if you make the right connection.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:57 pm 
Brigadier Geneal

Liked: 0
I think PayPal is really pretty simple...then donaters just send the $ through PayPal to your e-mail adress.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:01 pm 
***** General

Liked: 37
Daniny,

I have just recommended you to HuckPAC. I hope they will choose to endorse you! :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:39 pm 
*** General

Liked: 25
Word of advice on the mailing, promote the ideas why people should vote for you over the other guy. Promote the vertical ideas and principles that you stand for. Don't restort to the ad styles that attack the other candidate. People will appreciate that so much more. Find a way that will set you apart and showcase the best of your qualities.
Go to events where there is a lot of people so you don't have to work so hard in getting your name out there. If there are bulletin boards, put up flyers there. find the busiest intersection and do sign waves. Have the sign have your face on it so that they know it's you waving to them. Good luck. 8)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:29 am 
***** General

Liked: 3
BDBopper wrote:
Daniny,

I have just recommended you to HuckPAC. I hope they will choose to endorse you! :)

Wow...I really really appreciate that.

Although, our County recently whent through a big upset with a PAC after a special election that was held for the city council that resulted in what many believe to be a PAC controlled Councilmember. Now many City residents are very very turned turned off by any candidate locally that is supported by a PAC, so i've attempted to stay away from that.

It's so bad that one of the most common questions asked is "Are any other political groups funding you?"

To read some of the articles our local paper has had on this issue, just to give you an idea:
http://www.siouxcityjournal.com/shared- ... ntent&l=20

In fact one of my campaign promises is "No PAC's, No hidden agenda!"

However, what would REALLY REALLY help would be if I could get even a one line sentence endorsement from the Huck. lol

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:10 am 
DannyPoo wrote:
Jason, do you think my yard signs will help me much? As far as I understand, it helps garner Name recognition which is a goal, especially with a name like Christoffers (probably less familiar than my opponents "Monson" name).

Yes, but be very smart in their location. Put them where there will be a high degree of visability (yards near the enterance to neighbors, yards near schools where parents pass everyday, busy streets, etc.). Also, move them around periodically. After a couple weeks, the sign will blend in and people will not notice them. If you rotate them, you can get twice as many views, have it appear that you have twice as many signs, and not have to spend twice the money to do it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:13 am 
***** General

Liked: 37
Danny,

That is definitely quite admirable. I honestly don't know how HuckPAC endorsements work. I'm not sure if they actually come with money or just the endorsement itself. I will E-mail Chris the webmaster who takes the recommendations and give him an update on the situation.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:51 am 
***** General

Also if anyone is interested, here is the PDF of the flyer I am taking door to door.
http://www.dbzwarriors.com/flyer2.pdf

You can see how I cross cut it to save as much paper as possible. Although the PDF has messed up the margins a bit.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:58 pm 

Liked: 152
DannyPoo wrote:
In fact one of my campaign promises is "No PAC's, No hidden agenda!"

However, what would REALLY REALLY help would be if I could get even a one line sentence endorsement from the Huck. lol

Maybe you should contact Mike or Sarah directly to let them know your campaign promise and ask if they'd be willing to give a personal endorsement rather than PAC endorsement. Maybe Mike would be willing to put a separate thread on his recently revived website for candidates he personally endorses. Wouldn't it be absolutely awesome if Mike would be willing to make a quick campaign stop in Iowa for you? It might be a real possibility if he's anywhere near your area and the rumors are true as to who Warren Piece's alias is. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:55 pm 
***** General

I've decided to place an insert in the local paper shortly before the election on November 4th.

What day do you think would be best to have the insert included?

A weekday (M,T,W,Th,F) in the week before the election?

The Weekend? (ex: Saturday)

Or the Monday before the election?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:20 pm 
Is there any big events on any of these days? In Arkansas, fall is football season and everyone reads the paper the day of and the day after Friday night games. Events like this will drive readship of local papers.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:28 pm 
***** General

JasonTcpa wrote:
Is there any big events on any of these days? In Arkansas, fall is football season and everyone reads the paper the day of and the day after Friday night games. Events like this will drive readship of local papers.

good point, i'll have to check.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:37 pm 

Liked: 152
The Monday before the election might be too late because everyone might not get a chance to see your insert before heading to the polls.

I like Jason's idea about checking on something interesting that will be covered.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:42 pm 
***** General

GrannyT wrote:
The Monday before the election might be too late because everyone might not get a chance to see your insert before heading to the polls.

I like Jason's idea about checking on something interesting that will be covered.

LOL well I know one thing, it's going to be expensive. After talking to a SC Journal rep, i'm looking at 1,200 to 1,800 dollars depending on how many regions of Woodbury County I'm going to hit.

But, being one man and having only a few people out going door to door for me. I think it's my best best to hit as many people as possible.

So getting the best day, to have the best impact, is essential.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:44 pm 
***** General

Liked: 40
Just a note to encourage, to say 'I'm proud to know you,' to give a high five to Jason for his political wisdom, and to say Danny - put up that PayPal! We need to help you get fliers going! :D (Nice website, by the way!)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:58 pm 
***** General

I've been reluctant to set up paypal, although I want too. After researching, I found out that if I do, i'm required by iowa law to set up a bank account here and associate it with my campaign.

It is a bit of a hassle, and i'm willing to do it. I'm just not sure if the amount i would take in would justify the legal hassle of setting up the account/associating it with the campaign, and recording it all.

So let me sit on that a little longer. I go back and forth on whether to do it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:21 pm 
DannyPoo wrote:
I've been reluctant to set up paypal, although I want too. After researching, I found out that if I do, i'm required by iowa law to set up a bank account here and associate it with my campaign.

As a CPA, I would recommend going ahead and setting up a seperate bank account for your campaign expenses and contributions. The bookkeepping is so much easier if you keep your accounts segregated. Even apart from the PayPal issue, comingling your personal funds and campaign will quickly give you a headache next year come tax time.

Are you getting tired of my free advise yet? :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:42 pm 
***** General

Liked: 133
Hey, Danny - have you considered doing a video to put up on your website? It wouldn't have to be flashy, or like an advertisement. It could be more like an interview, or just you talking about the local issues that are important to you, and how your positions differ from your opponent's.

People like to put a face to a name, and putting a "personality" to a name (via video) is even better, I think.

Blessings!
Mary

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:57 am 
***** General

WhatsNotToLike? wrote:
Hey, Danny - have you considered doing a video to put up on your website? It wouldn't have to be flashy, or like an advertisement. It could be more like an interview, or just you talking about the local issues that are important to you, and how your positions differ from your opponent's.

People like to put a face to a name, and putting a "personality" to a name (via video) is even better, I think.

Blessings!
Mary

That's a good idea, i may just do that. It's not too hard to do.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:37 pm 
***** General

A blog update, I discuss something that happened with the Board of Supervisors recently. I was hoping you could read it and understand what I am 'hinting' at.

http://danielchristoffers.blogspot.com/

Quote:
Smells Fishy to me.
On Tuesday the County Board of Supervisors (as well as my opponent, Mark Monson) voted to approve a private firm to search for individuals who could be hired as County Engineer. This will cost upwards of $20,500.00 just to search for a potential Engineer.

Was this necessary? As Supervisor Clausen (the lone dissenting vote) pointed out, "he felt the county was "fully capable" of fielding qualified candidates for the job."
http://www.siouxcityjournal.com/article ... 0b602e.txt

I will leave that judgement up to the voters. But consider this, back in '05 when the Board was looking for a temporary replacement to the County Attorney. They hired, Patrick Jennings (A Candidate who was seeking that office in the '06 General Election and a member of the Majority Party of the Board of Supervisors) over the opposing Candidate who was also seeking that office. Jennings successfully defeated the opponent of the other party. Supervisor Batcheller, the lone dissenting vote on the board, said the supervisors should have chosen "an independent third party, either inside the (county attorney) office or outside the office to help in the hiring process.

http://www.siouxcityjournal.com/article ... 018e3d.txt

I find it interesting that the Board considered themselves capable of reviewing the qualifications and hiring of the County Attorney, who also was a candidate of their party, but not the County Engineer.