Hucks Army - Faith. Family. Freedom. [Grassroots] JOIN HUCKS ARMY | GET INVOLVED | FUNDRAISING | LINKS | LEADERSHIP | ABOUT
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:46 am 
***** General

Liked: 13

In the TEXAS GOP convention speech, linked below, Williams commends Obama's electoral accomplishment --and wryly suggests he likes what that might hold for tall dark articulate person. Amusing line.

However, it hardly seems plausible (at this point) for him to run for President. But, a run for Governor does make a lot of sense --although Perry indicates he is seeking reelection. And, the word is Kay Bailey Hutchison is going to retire from the U.S. Senate --which opens up another possibility.

GOPAC spotlight candidate Texas Railroad Commission Chairman Michael L. Williams

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:24 am 
Major General

Liked: 8
I haven't heard anyone say that he wants to run for Governor....but I wouldn't mind if he did.

I was at the Texas Convention as a delegate and got to hear an awesome speech. He got standing ovations and people were talking about how his speech was one of the best at the convention. He said that Obama had paved the way, and joked since he was tall, dark and articulate that he could run for President one day. Another standing ovation and cheers.

My husband and I went to the social gathering with Michael Williams and Senator John Cornyn. We stood in line to speak to him and get his picture. I got his autograph. We told him if he did run for President, we would vote for him, but if Huckabee was in the picture, he'd have to be the VP for Huckabee or the other way around. He laughed and jokingly said they'd work something out.

He is another Huckabee in my opinion. I will be voting for him this year for Railroad Commissioner.

I did read some articles after the convention stating that people had been telling him to run for a Senator. Whatever he runs for...as long as Huckabee isn't competing with him...he's got my vote.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=4 ... 873&ref=mf

https://www.huckpac.com/?FuseAction=Con ... me&r=23616 DONATE TODAY

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:00 am 
Major General

This is Michael signing my convention booklet.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:17 pm 
***** General

Amyb40 wrote:
I did read some articles after the convention stating that people had been telling him to run for a Senator. Whatever he runs for...as long as Huckabee isn't competing with him...he's got my vote.

Williams seems to be doing it right. His resume is quite long and varied --as he served in the bureaucracy of the Reagan and Bush41 administrations. If he wins reelection as the railroad commissioner that will be three statewide elections as commissioner, and that is plenty to move up, imo.

The Republican party has this pecking order mentality, and they don't normally (there are exceptions) appreciate candidates who butt in line.

Some of the past black candidates have tried (and were encouraged) for high profile office before they had earned their dues in the party. (Now, some might think that is petty, but often that is the way it seems to work.) A case in point would be Lynn Swan --who tried to win the Gov. of PA office primarily based on his celebrity, and his Christian identity.

Following that, Swan declined to run for a U.S. House seat. Now, there may be reasons why he wouldn't especially want to be in the House, but... if he would like to aspire to a political career, the House, in my view, would seem to be the best place for him to start.

Right now blacks are suspicious of the Republican party. So, while it is ok to run conservative black Republicans in majority black districts, I would like to see a strategy (by the grass roots, not RNC) of running conservative evangelical candidates (or Roman Catholics like Williams and Steele) --who happen to be of African descent-- run in very conservative majority white districts (the J.C. Watts model).

The reason is, they could be supported and championed by religious conservatives based on their stands on abortion, same-sex marriage, and other SoCon issues. It would help immensely if such candidates were also viewed favorably by the rotary club Republicans -- that is, if they had a background in business (or government service like Williams)-- and were not being supported on religion alone. So, I would think recruiting black pastors as candidates is not the way to go.

The strategy I am advocating is that if enough religious conservative blacks were elected on this J.C. Watts model, then they would be frequently seen on the House floor, and on T.V. interview shows, and then black Republicans would start to look like a common phenomenon. Over time this would, I think, attract middle class blacks who are doing well, or reasonably well, to the Republican party.

And, while this might emphasize the class division in society, a little, if race is diffused somewhat, class issues can be better focused on subsequently, I hope.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:28 pm 
***** General

Liked: 525
I actually had never heard of this guy, but I am always encouraged to see values-oriented candidates who happen to be African American running for office as Republicans. I am a huge fan of Michael Steele and also deeply respect J.C. Watts. The current situation in which almost all blacks vote for the Democrats is bad for America, bad for the GOP, and bad for blacks as well.

I really would hope for seeing the GOP national leadership fix the underlying distrust of the party by black voters. This is important because when the distrust level is as high as it is now, the black Republican candidates find themselves as distrusted as any other Republican candidate would have been. I know that this is discouraging, but it is a problem that CAN be corrected. It just takes a high-level sustained commitment to engage and to keep doing it as well as honesty from the highest levels in the party in both seeing it as a problem and in admitting that there is a problem. If the GOP follows the Mike Huckabee model, things could be signigicantly different by sometime in the next decade.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:46 pm 
***** General

TheValuesVoter wrote:
It just takes a high-level sustained commitment to engage and to keep doing it as well as honesty from the highest levels in the party in both seeing it as a problem and in admitting that there is a problem. If the GOP follows the Mike Huckabee model, things could be signigicantly different by sometime in the next decade.

The first thing I would like to see is McCain use his "party leader" preogative (assuming he is elected POTUS) and appoint Michael Steele chairman of the RNC. Steele's past experience as Maryland state chair, and current position as GOPAC chair make him an ideal pick, imo.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:04 am 
***** General

Originally this thread was entitled "Is Michael Williams positioning to run for Governor in 2010?" I was a little off, but not all that much. Notice:

Quote:
Michael Williams for United States Senate

Dear Friends,

With much encouragement from my fellow Texans, with the support of my wife Donna, and with firm resolve to make the America of tomorrow more prosperous and free than the nation we know today, I am announcing my candidacy for the United States Senate.

We are at a critical juncture in time, and the likelihood of a special election to replace Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison provides an historic opportunity for Texans to rekindle our can-do spirit and offer forward-looking solutions to the great challenges posed by an economic crisis, record debt, two simultaneous wars, and our dependence on foreign energy.

I have served at every level of government: in three cabinet departments under two presidential administrations, as an elected member of the Texas Railroad Commission and as a local prosecutor in the Midland County District Attorneys office. I know the honor of public service is not holding an office, but preserving the public trust.

If elected, I will address these issues that demand national and international leadership:

1. Economy: we need a long-term prosperity agenda starting with a tax code that rewards work, encourages saving, investment and entrepreneurship; incentives for innovation, research and development yielding to solutions for more and higher-valued jobs, steadier wages and stronger retirements.
2. Energy and Environment: we need to develop pro-growth energy and environment solutions for greater energy security that will produce more American energy, accelerate the use of alternative energy technologies and promote greater energy efficiency and conservation.
3. Education: we need to rekindle a love of learning in America’s classrooms, specifically a renewed focus on math, science, engineering and technology.
4. National Security: we need to ensure safer communities and neighborhoods by enforcing our laws, protecting our borders and making sure our military continues to be the strongest in the world to defend America and defeat our enemies.
5. Health care: we need transformational health solutions and policies that create better health care, more choices at affordable costs.

I am uniquely experienced to address these great challenges. Having served in the U.S. Departments of Education, Justice and Treasury, I know we can do so much more to unleash the power of innovation and job creation and to make education and opportunity accessible to all. And as an elected leader in the energy industry, I know we can increase exploration at home, invest in cleaner sources of energy, and protect the environment for future generations.

We can have economic prosperity and cleaner air and water. We can have financial security without our elected officials compromising their conservative principles. We can have an efficient, effective government that controls spending and lives within its means. We can have government accountable to the people.

This campaign is not about me. It’s about you. As a candidate, I hope not to be the focal point, but the mirror that reflects the hopes, dreams and concerns of every Texan.

In traveling to every corner of this state, I have listened to a great many Texans. I have heard the calls for a new voice in Washington who can bring about change and reform to a culture that desperately needs it. And I know the change Texans seek is not a blank check for Congress, but a voice of reason when it comes to your money. With your help, we can be that new voice and create a Texas with greater liberty and prosperity. We can generate a sense of optimism in all communities and neighborhoods across the state.

To me change is not just a slogan, it is a lifelong calling. Thousands of Texans have called upon me to take this step—to offer myself up in service to change the way Washington works. I take this step neither lightly nor flippantly, but with full faith in the possibilities of a new tomorrow, and undying devotion to the greatest people on the face of the earth—the people of Texas.

I ask for your prayers, your continued friendship and your full support. I look forward to seeing you on the trail.

info@williamsfortexas.com

Paid for by Michael Williams for U.S. Senate Committee

Also, plenty of videos at the Multimedia tab.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:05 am 
***** General

Liked: 37
A Great man who I think would be a great Senator! He has my support!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:58 pm 
Major General

BDBopper wrote:
A Great man who I think would be a great Senator! He has my support!

Amen! I'm jumping for joy! He's another Huckabee! He personally responded to my email, thanking me for prayers. He cares about the people and our values and much much more! :D :D :D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:31 pm 
Major General

Liked: 23
I too was a delegate at the Texas state convention and was very impressed with Michael Williams. I think he would be a great replacement for Kay Hutchinson and be an asset in the Senate. He is also very much like our man Mike Huckabee and the type of leader the GOP needs.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:00 am 
***** General

The highlights from the 2004 Texas GOP State Convention are excellent, as well.

Here is the blipTV embed for 2008 Texas GOP State Convention:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:43 am 
***** General

From "The Dallas Morning News":
Quote:
White, Williams plan Senate race

12/16/2008

Associated Press

Houston Mayor Bill White and Texas Railroad Commissioner Michael Williams on Tuesday announced they intend to run for the U.S. Senate seat currently being held by Republican Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison.

White, a Democrat, has been mayor of Houston, the nation's fourth-largest city, for the past five years. Williams, a Republican, oversees the state agency that regulates the oil and gas industry.

Hutchison has formed an exploratory committee to run for governor in 2010. If she leaves her Senate seat before her term ends in 2012, the governor would appoint a replacement until a special election is held.

White, a former chairman of the Texas Democratic Party, made his announcement Tuesday on a short video on his campaign Web site.

White earned national prominence in 2005 when he welcomed the evacuees of Hurricane Katrina into Houston and then a few weeks later had to order the evacuation of the city when Hurricane Rita threatened to hit. He was back in the spotlight in September when Hurricane Ike came ashore near Galveston and damaged homes and knocked out power to thousands in the Houston area.

Williams began his work at the Railroad Commission in 1999 after he was appointed to fill a vacant seat by then-Gov. George W. Bush. Williams was elected the following year to the unexpired term. He was re-elected to a full six-year term in 2002 and again this year.

A former prosecutor, Williams has served in the Departments of Education, Justice and Treasury.

Others who have announced plans to run for Hutchison's seat in 2012 or sooner are former state comptroller John Sharp, a Democrat, and Railroad Commissioner Elizabeth Ames Jones and GOP fundraiser Roger Williams, both Republicans.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:49 am 
***** General

Quote:
The Dallas Morning News
Bill would vex two U.S. Senate wannabes
6:55 PM Thu, Mar 12, 2009
Robert T. Garrett

Texas Railroad Commission Chairman Michael Williams (left) and fellow Railroad Commission member Elizabeth Ames Jones (AP photo) would have to quit their current posts to run for the U.S. Senate seat that Kay Bailey Hutchison may vacate, under a bill filed in the Texas House today.

The bill by Rep. Tommy Merritt, R-Longview, would bar a Railroad Commission member from running for any other office "during the term for which the commissioner is elected or appointed." And it would take effect this year.

Merritt told me he'd long been pushing the idea. "I did it with Tony Garza," he said. "Had to be '98, '97. He was going to run for AG."

While that bill failed, Merritt said he isn't reviving it to help other potential seekers of Hutchison's Senate seat -- such as state Sen. Florence Shapiro, R-Plano, or former Secretary of State Roger Williams.

"Nah, nah, nah," said Merritt, a product of the East Texas oilfield. "When you run for a six-year term, you need to be an advocate for the [oil] industry and the state of Texas. This industry's very volatile ... and they need to be talking about severance tax relief for small independent producers." And not out stumping for higher office.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:56 am 
Major General

VertiCon wrote:
Quote:
The Dallas Morning News
Bill would vex two U.S. Senate wannabes
6:55 PM Thu, Mar 12, 2009
Robert T. Garrett

Texas Railroad Commission Chairman Michael Williams (left) and fellow Railroad Commission member Elizabeth Ames Jones (AP photo) would have to quit their current posts to run for the U.S. Senate seat that Kay Bailey Hutchison may vacate, under a bill filed in the Texas House today.

The bill by Rep. Tommy Merritt, R-Longview, would bar a Railroad Commission member from running for any other office "during the term for which the commissioner is elected or appointed." And it would take effect this year.

Merritt told me he'd long been pushing the idea. "I did it with Tony Garza," he said. "Had to be '98, '97. He was going to run for AG."

While that bill failed, Merritt said he isn't reviving it to help other potential seekers of Hutchison's Senate seat -- such as state Sen. Florence Shapiro, R-Plano, or former Secretary of State Roger Williams.

"Nah, nah, nah," said Merritt, a product of the East Texas oilfield. "When you run for a six-year term, you need to be an advocate for the [oil] industry and the state of Texas. This industry's very volatile ... and they need to be talking about severance tax relief for small independent producers." And not out stumping for higher office.

That's just crummy. I think Michael Williams has an awesome chance to win the US Senate seat. I hope he continues on. We need him as our Senator. :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:56 pm 
***** General

Amyb40 wrote:
That's just crummy. I think Michael Williams has an awesome chance to win the US Senate seat. I hope he continues on. We need him as our Senator. :)

I don't think it has deterred Williams. His website has been updated since his announcement in December with videos and blog posts. It appears Williams is serious.

http://www.williamsfortexas.com

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:43 pm 
Major General

As I shared earlier, my husband and I were very impresssed with Williams. I think he deserves support from HuckPAC and know he will need the help to defeat the better known candidates. Bush did a very good thing when govenor by appointing Williams as the Railroad Commissioner. The GOP greatly needs some minority leaders in Congress!

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 12:56 am 
***** General

Texas Federation of Republican Women's U.S. Senate candidate panel in Austin on April 17, 2009

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 10:29 am 
Major General

Thanks VertiCon for sharing this video. It confirms even more why I like and support Michael Williams. He is a new shining star for the GOP and will make a great senator for my state. Michael has the skills, experiences, knowledge and determination to bring Republican Party back to true conservative social/fiscal values. I hope and pray he wins! I encourage the support of HuckPAC and HucksArmy to help make it happen. Thanks !

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 11:32 am 
***** General

sandra wrote:
Thanks VertiCon for sharing this video. It confirms even more why I like and support Michael Williams. He is a new shining star for the GOP and will make a great senator for my state. Michael has the skills, experiences, knowledge and determination to bring Republican Party back to true conservative social/fiscal values. I hope and pray he wins! I encourage the support of HuckPAC and HucksArmy to help make it happen. Thanks !

I noticed at the very beginning of the video, during introductions, that when Michael Williams was introduced the crowd reaction was much more excited (and loud) --whereas all the other candidates present just received polite applause.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:35 am 
***** General

click >>> WilliamsforTexas hits 3,000 Twitter followers

With all of this Rubio focus we might lose notice of some other important races.

I'm not yet on Twitter, but I hope those who already are will become followers of Michael Williams.