Hucks Army - Faith. Family. Freedom. [Grassroots] JOIN HUCKS ARMY | GET INVOLVED | FUNDRAISING | LINKS | LEADERSHIP | ABOUT
It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:59 pm 
***** General

Liked: 211
As predicted our former four-term Republican Governor from the 80s is entering the Iowa gubernatorial race. In the end it will be him vs. Bob Vander Plaats. This isn't going to be easy folks, but I believe the grassroots can pull it off. Here is a take on the race from WHO Radio's Steve Deace (who supports Bob VP at this time) to give you an idea of the political climate here.

Quote:
Branstad All But Makes It Official
What will likely be the bloodiest gubernatorial primary in the history of the Republican Party of Iowa is now underway.

This morning it was announced that Terry Branstad has filed the necessary paperwork to form an exploratory committee to prepare the way for him to come out of retirement to run for a 5th term as Iowa governor.

Men of Branstad's stature don't make such a public move if they don't intend to eventually follow through. Therefore, both voters and his rivals can now begin to take him seriously as a gubernatorial candidate and discuss his 16-year record as Iowa governor. We can also expect him to actually start defending it as well.

I predicted this would happen two months ago, and back then I also reported my little birdies told me that Branstad would leave his lucrative post as president of Des Moines University to run full-time for governor sometime after the Glanton Scholarship Dinner on Ocotber 14th.

Recent polling data given to me by a little birdie has Branstad leading the current GOP gubernatorial field by just three points, with Bob Vander Plaats his closest competitor.

Unless Branstad has undergone the sort of metamorphosis leaders of his age almost never experience, we can expect him to run the same sort of establishment Republican, let's not rock the boat on social issues while promising to manage the welfare state more efficiently campaign that led him to four electoral victories in the previous generation.

Except we're not in the previous generation. The government is bigger and more corrupt than its ever been, and is explicity using our tax dollars to promote evil while indoctrinating our children with it. As a young father of three children I think this is no time for just win baby pragmatism, rather this is a time to take a bold stand for the republic and the will of the people and say "here I am LORD, send me.."

That's why what's at stake with Branstad's candidacy is more than just tossing Lt. Governor Debt Culver out of office, which definitely needs to be done.

Should Branstad be successful in running that sort of establishment campaign, and given the plethora of public comments made in the past year by his protege Doug Gross I can't imagine a scenario in which he doesn't run that sort of campaign, it will have an immeasurable impact on the Republican Party both in Iowa and nationwide for the foreseeable future. It will once again concentrate the power of the Republican Party of Iowa in the hands of Polk County moderates that have been seeing their power and influence diminish after two generations of control and a decade of losses at the ballot box.

Because of our current status as the first in the nation caucus state, it will also embolden the national Republican establishment to continue its war against its own base, if not up the ante altogether, which we've been witnesses to here in Iowa after recent visits by Haley Barbour and Michael Reagan. This will impact the sorts of presidential candidates and campaigns that come to Iowa for the 2012 cycle, because with the establishment in control here you can expect the national campaigns to adjust accordingly.

On the other hand, should the grassroots prevail in this epic contest over the establishment, combined with the Tea Party Movement and the anti-incumbent fervor of the American voter at the moment, the impact of that development will also dramatically alter the political landscape.

Essentially this means that Iowa's gubernatorial race just became the Valley of Megiddo for the Republican Party.

Change is gonna come, for better or for worse.

http://www.whoradio.com/cc-common/mainheadlines3.html?feed=150515&article=6123868

TEAM HUCK IOWA
http://www.facebook.com/TeamHuckIowa

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:22 pm 
***** General

Liked: 523
This is one of the elections that we've got to pray hard for - it will send a message as to whether the GOP can continue as is or must return to conservative principles -- ALL of them!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:25 pm 
***** General

Liked: 3
I believe you will see Brandstad and Rants really slugging it out for the fiscal conservatives. This is Christopher Rant's big opportunity for the biggest office in Iowa and I don't see him passing it up(or playing softball) just because Brandstad is in the race. In fact this make's Christophers job all that much more harder. Bob VP already has social conservatives in the bag-if he does more to stress those values (which is a substantial portion of Iowa republicans(especially western iowa), and the fiscal conservatives will likely hop on board if Bob ends up being the nominee.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:29 pm 
***** General

QuoVadisAnima wrote:
This is one of the elections that we've got to pray hard for - it will send a message as to whether the GOP can continue as is or must return to conservative principles -- ALL of them!

Very true. It will also impact the 2012 caucuses immensely. It will affect a Huckabee candidacy, especially since he endorsed Bob VP. It will be interesting to see if any other national politician gets into this bloodbath and endorses someone.

TEAM HUCK IOWA

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:59 pm 
***** General

So far Branstad's staff consists of people who have donated to and/or worked for Romney, Rudy, or Democrats.

TEAM HUCK IOWA

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:47 pm 
***** General

Liked: 225
Iowans Rock wrote:
Very true. It will also impact the 2012 caucuses immensely. It will affect a Huckabee candidacy, especially since he endorsed Bob VP. It will be interesting to see if any other national politician gets into this bloodbath and endorses someone.
I sense a plot to destroy the Huckabee Axis. The Republican Establishment feels it's so important to prevent Huckabee's man from becoming governor in an early primary state that the they recruited one of their minions out of retirement to seek a FIFTH TERM!? We can expect the same tactics to be tried against Bauer, Oxendine, Rubio and others. Will they stop us?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:31 am 
*** General

Liked: 25
No one can stop God's plan if it is meant to be won. We need to be sure who is squarely in God's corner and in His will. David's brothers weren't meant to be kings, only David. He had the anointing. I see Mike having that kind of influence. Vanderplatts, I don't know but God does, and He needs our bended knees for His work to be complete.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:51 am 
***** General

Liked: 523
Iowa does not have term limits on governors? I'm surprised. Wonder if that will be a negative with some of the voters?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:28 am 
***** General

c murphy wrote:
No one can stop God's plan if it is meant to be won. We need to be sure who is squarely in God's corner and in His will. David's brothers weren't meant to be kings, only David. He had the anointing. I see Mike having that kind of influence. Vanderplatts, I don't know but God does, and He needs our bended knees for His work to be complete.

Agreed, but like David, sometimes we have to run unto the battlefield with 5 smooth stones, God will have his hand on what we do.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:28 am 
***** General

Liked: 37
I am about to come out with a statement on behalf of the Can-do Conservatives. I wanted y'all to see it first and let me know what you think:

Quote:
The battle for the heart and soul of the Republican Party has a new epicenter today and that epicenter is Iowa. Former four-term Governor Terry Branstad filed the necessary paper work to join the race for Governor in the Republican primary yesterday. To those watching things closely in The Hawkeye State like I have, this comes as no surprise. This has been rumored and talked about for several months.

From my knowledge of the situation in The Hawkeye State, former Governor Branstad is the favorite of the Establiishment of the Iowa Republican Party. Before Brandstad's entry into the race for Governor there was one clear overwhelming favorite to win the GOP nomination, Bob Vander Plaats. There is only one reason why Branstad has entered the race for Governor and that is the establishment fears the true Conservative and voice of the people in the Hawkeye state? Why else would they drag a former four-term Governor out of retirement?

Just as it is around the country the same is true in Iowa. The corrupt, crony, country-club Establishment of the Republican Party has failed and our party and our nation is worse off for it. There are some in our party who have argued that in order to succeed as a party, we must make concessions to"Mushy Middle." For a clear-cut example of what happens when we do that take a good hard look at the 2008 elections. Our nominee and our party took it in the teeth. We failed to stand up for our Conservative values and principles. A big tent has big holes and if you won't stand for something you'll fall for anything. The only resullt of trying to be Democrat Lite is the election of more Democrats because the people will vote for "The real thing." When we stand strong on our principles, we win. When we back off of our principles for popularity we have our hats handed to us like in 1996, 2006, and 2008.

A new day is dawning in Iowa and all around our great Nation. New faces have emerged ready to lead with common-sense Conservatism and take us back towards the "Shining City on a Hill" that President Ronald Reagan spoke of. Leaders like: Marco Rubio in Florida, Chuck DeVore in California, Rex Rice in South Carolina, Michael Williams in Texas, and John Oxendine in Georgia. Iowa is blessed to have one of those new leaders in Bob Vander Plaats. Three weeks ago it was my honor and pleasure to travel through the Hawkeye State and speak on Bob's behalf. I was familiar with Bob through his book Light From Lucas and his active role in Governor Mike Huckabee's run for President. As I listened to Bob speak, my feelings were confirmed that I had made the right choice. I was especially impressed with Bob's commitment to enabling the disabled. In fact it was that fact alone that has inspired Bob to run. Bob will stand strong for us in Iowa and make sure that we can get a hand up instead of depending on hand-outs tied to the Government ball-and-chain.

Bob Vander Plaats is a strong, principled Conservative. He will not be guided by political winds, what the polls say, or what political advisors tell him to think. Bob is Honest, Trustworthy, and Authentic. When Bob will stand up for what is right I know that he will not falter and will not back down. Bob wants a better Iowa and a better Nation that is not encumbered by growing debt, swelling in corruption, and without a moral compass.

Iowans have a clear choice in the Republican primary. Will they choose the moderate, backed by the Establishment and move backwards? Or will they choose the clear, Conservative choice with a new vision and new ideas? This battle for the heart and soul of our Party is being waged all over the country but the epicenter is Iowa, the state where the next Presidential cycle will begin. That is why I have placed the Iowa Governor's Race as our highest priority. We must not lose! I intend to do all I can to help Bob and to travel to The Hawkeye State as many times as I can and I hope you will join me!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:55 am 
***** General

It's also very important to note that there is a STRONG concerted effort to minimize social conservatives in Iowa. Why? Because of one very special thing- marriage.

Our local paper, even had a large section in an article about the people running for governor- there was alot of "stressing" (by asking some political "experts") how the GOP needs to basically run someone who is socially conservative but doesnt express it or do anything about it (my paraphrase).

I'm sorry but this is one of those times where a potential Gubernatorial candidate will actually do better by stressing socially conservative values (a large portion of Iowans are socially conservative- even though they do sometimes vote for democrats- who often run as socially moderate). Alot of Conservative Iowan's want someone who will give them the option to vote on Marriage..

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:43 pm 
***** General

Liked: 440
Brian, you are a very good writer! Here are some grammatical changes. It has been a long time since I have been in school, and I tend to over use commas, so if anyone who knows better wants to correct me on any of this, I won't be offended. I am not sure about whether it is o.k to capitalize Establishment, but if it is, then it should be capitalized in the second paragraph to keep it consistent.

BDBopper wrote:
I am about to come out with a statement on behalf of the Can-do Conservatives. I wanted y'all to see it first and let me know what you think:

Quote:
The battle for the heart and soul of the Republican Party has a new epicenter today and that epicenter is Iowa. Former four-term Governor Terry Branstad filed the necessary paper work to join the race for Governor in the Republican primary yesterday. To those watching things closely in T(change to t)he Hawkeye State like I have, this comes as no surprise. This has been rumored and talked about for several months.

From my knowledge of the situation in T(change to t)he Hawkeye State, former Governor Branstad is the favorite of the Establii (take out extra i)shment of the Iowa Republican Party. Before Brandstad's entry into the race for Governor there was one clear overwhelming favorite to win the GOP nomination, Bob Vander Plaats. There is only one reason why Branstad has entered the race for Governor and that is the establishment fears the true Conservative and voice of the people in the Hawkeye state?(should be .) Why else would they drag a former four-term Governor out of retirement?

Just as it is around the country (add ,) the same is true in Iowa. The corrupt, crony, country-club Establishment of the Republican Party has failed and our party and our nation is worse off for it. There are some in our party who have argued that in order to succeed as a party, we must make concessions to (add a space here and maybe the word the)"Mushy Middle." For a clear-cut example of what happens when we do that (add ,)take a good hard look at the 2008 elections. Our nominee and our party took it in the teeth. We failed to stand up for our Conservative values and principles. A big tent has big holes and if you won't stand for something (add ,) you'll fall for anything. The only resullt (take out extra l) of trying to be Democrat Lite is the election of more Democrats because the people will vote for "The (change to small t) real thing." When we stand strong on our principles, we win. When we back off of our principles for popularity (add a ,) we have our hats handed to us like in 1996, 2006, and 2008.

A new day is dawning in Iowa and all around our great Nation. New faces have emerged ready to lead with common-sense Conservatism and take us back towards the "Shining City on a Hill" that President Ronald Reagan spoke of. Leaders like: Marco Rubio in Florida, Chuck DeVore in California, Rex Rice in South Carolina, Michael Williams in Texas, and John Oxendine in Georgia. Iowa is blessed to have one of those new leaders in Bob Vander Plaats. Three weeks ago (add ,) it was my honor and pleasure to travel through the Hawkeye State and speak on Bob's behalf. I was familiar with Bob through his book Light From Lucas (underline or italicize book title)and his active role in Governor Mike Huckabee's run for President. As I listened to Bob speak, my feelings were confirmed that I had made the right choice. I was especially impressed with Bob's commitment to enabling the disabled. In fact it was that fact alone that has inspired Bob to run. Bob will stand strong for us in Iowa and make sure that we can get a hand up instead of depending on hand-outs tied to the Government ball-and-chain.

Bob Vander Plaats is a strong, principled Conservative. He will not be guided by political winds, what the polls say, or what political advisors (I think ers is preferred, but ors is ok here) tell him to think. Bob is Honest, Trustworthy, and Authentic.(I wouldn't capitalize these words, but maybe it is o.k. for emphasis - does anyone know?) When (take out When) Bob will stand up for what is right I know that he will not falter and will not back down. Bob wants a better Iowa and a better Nation that is not encumbered by growing debt, swelling in corruption, and without a moral compass. (This sentence is a little rough, maybe could be reworded)

Iowans have a clear choice in the Republican primary. Will they choose the moderate, backed by the Establishment and move backwards? Or will they choose the clear, Conservative choice with a new vision and new ideas? This battle for the heart and soul of our Party is being waged all over the country but the epicenter is Iowa, the state where the next Presidential cycle will begin. That is why I have placed the Iowa Governor's Race as our highest priority. We must not lose! I intend to do all I can to help Bob and to travel to The (change to small t) Hawkeye State as many times as I can and I hope you will join me! (maybe switch this around to, I intend to travel to the Hawkeye State as many times as I can and I hope you will join me in doing everything possible to help elect Bob Vander Plaats!)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:33 pm 
***** General

I didn't realize Brian made it to one of Vanderplaats youtube videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7laAlYzW14

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:55 pm 
***** General

Vander Plaats basically takes shots at Branstad in this video. The Iowa government grew the most under Branstad, he brought gambling to the state, brought "human sexuality" into the schools that the gay agenda could eventually use, and appointed two of the judges to the Iowa Supreme Court who legislated from the bench on gay marriage (one of his judges actually wrote the opinion).

TEAM HUCK IOWA

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:57 pm 
***** General

DannyPoo wrote:
It's also very important to note that there is a STRONG concerted effort to minimize social conservatives in Iowa. Why? Because of one very special thing- marriage.

Our local paper, even had a large section in an article about the people running for governor- there was alot of "stressing" (by asking some political "experts") how the GOP needs to basically run someone who is socially conservative but doesnt express it or do anything about it (my paraphrase).

I'm sorry but this is one of those times where a potential Gubernatorial candidate will actually do better by stressing socially conservative values (a large portion of Iowans are socially conservative- even though they do sometimes vote for democrats- who often run as socially moderate). Alot of Conservative Iowan's want someone who will give them the option to vote on Marriage..

Also, if the GOP wants to be all about polls they should not ignore the polls that say over 70% of people in Iowa want to vote on marriage and over half of the people say that we should tell the courts to take a hike (and that is polling all political persuasions).

TEAM HUCK IOWA

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:40 pm 
***** General

Liked: 37
Thanks everyone!

My statement has been published: http://candoconservatives.com/2009/10/0 ... -must-win/

It has also been shared as a Guest Commentary by the Iowa Defense Alliance too

http://iowadefensealliance.com/2009/10/ ... america-2/

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:16 pm 
***** General

Just heard that Terry Branstad will anounce his entering the Iowa Governor race for his 5th term on Friday. Fasten your seatbelts.

http://www.whotv.com/news/who-story-branstad-election-101409,0,4216223.story?track=rss

TEAM HUCK IOWA

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:54 pm 
Lieutenant General

Steve Deace has been gathering up the Gubernatorial straw polls.

Appanoose County: Vander Plaats 62%, Branstad 47%, and Roberts 1%.
Cerro Gordo County: Branstad 46%, Vander Plaats 44%, and Roberts 12%.
Lee County: Branstad 42%, Vander Plaats 26%, Roberts 22%, and Rants 9%.
Madison County: Vander Plaats 50%, Branstad 44%, and Roberts 0.5%
Marshall County: Branstad 40%, Vander Plaats 38%, Roberts 19%, Rants 3%.
Hancock County: Vander Plaats 74%, Branstad 20%, Roberts 5%, and Rants 1%
Howard County: Vander Plaats 76%, Branstad 24%
Mahaska County: Vander Plaats 71%, Branstad 24%, Rants 4%, Roberts 1%.

http://www.whoradio.com/pages/stevedeace.html

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:42 pm 
***** General

McFox wrote:
Steve Deace has been gathering up the Gubernatorial straw polls.

Appanoose County: Vander Plaats 62%, Branstad 47%, and Roberts 1%.
Cerro Gordo County: Branstad 46%, Vander Plaats 44%, and Roberts 12%.
Lee County: Branstad 42%, Vander Plaats 26%, Roberts 22%, and Rants 9%.
Madison County: Vander Plaats 50%, Branstad 44%, and Roberts 0.5%
Marshall County: Branstad 40%, Vander Plaats 38%, Roberts 19%, Rants 3%.
Hancock County: Vander Plaats 74%, Branstad 20%, Roberts 5%, and Rants 1%
Howard County: Vander Plaats 76%, Branstad 24%
Mahaska County: Vander Plaats 71%, Branstad 24%, Rants 4%, Roberts 1%.

http://www.whoradio.com/pages/stevedeace.html

Thanks for the info. We are in a David vs. Goliath moment here, but we've done it once so we can do it again. ;)

TEAM HUCK IOWA

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:58 am 
***** General

Liked: 13
Iowans Rock wrote:
Just heard that Terry Branstad will anounce his entering the Iowa Governor race for his 5th term on Friday. Fasten your seatbelts.

If Branstad wants to get back into politics he ought to run against Harkin.