Hucks Army - Faith. Family. Freedom. [Grassroots] JOIN HUCKS ARMY | GET INVOLVED | FUNDRAISING | LINKS | LEADERSHIP | ABOUT
It is currently Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:47 pm 
Lieutenant General

Liked: 19
Debra Medina is the quintessential Tea Party Candidate in the Texas Governor's race.
She literally Owned Perry and Hutchinson in the first debate.
At first she was to be excluded from the upcoming debate, but due to her stellar performance, as well as a more than doubling of her poll numbers in the latest Rasmussen poll, she is now invited to take part.
We need good alternatives to the mainstream Democrat and Republican sell-outs that have been the voting menu of the day much too long.

http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/Medina-invited-to-appear-in-The-Belo-Debate-81994852.html

DALLAS — Debra Medina — the third candidate running for the GOP nomination for governor along with Gov. Rick Perry and Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison — is being invited to appear in the statewide televised debate sponsored by Belo TV stations in Texas and The Dallas Morning News.

The debate is set for Friday, January 29.

Until now, Medina had not met the criteria to appear in the debate. However, a new Rasmussen Reports poll released Monday shows a shift among likely Texas GOP voters in her favor. The poll of 831 likely voters found:

* Perry - 43 percent
* Hutchison - 33 percent
* Medina - 12 percent
* Not sure - 11 percent

After reviewing the Rasmussen results, Mike Devlin — president and general manager WFAA-TV in Dallas-Fort Worth, the station that will host the debate — explained why Medina will now be allowed to appear.

"The Rasmussen poll released today shows Debra Medina is now at 12 percent, which is a substantial jump since the previous poll. Factoring in the margin of error (+/- 3.5 percent) and using reasonable news judgment, it appears Ms. Medina is a viable candidate and qualifies for the Belo Debate to be broadcast on January 29," Devlin said.

As previously announced, the primary criteria used to determine which candidates are invited to participate in the debate include whether a candidate:

* receives significant levels of public support in independent public opinion polls, e.g. 15 percent, which is the minimum used by the Commission on Presidential Debates

* has received substantial campaign contributions from varied sources

* has previously held significant public office(s)

* has received a substantial level of votes in prior elections for the same or comparable office(s)

* will be reported by news agencies in election night returns

* has received significant news coverage from a wide range of media outlets

Edited message to correct link

You say "Conspiracy Theorist"?? Call me Agenda Analyst.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:00 pm 
Brigadier Geneal

Liked: 24
Wow, ive never heard of this lady, before you have mentioned her here.... but I went to Youtube and looked up a few vids of her... What I see, I like.., I also see a lady that would prob support our Huck :).. or a Palin :(
I am not a big Perry Fan, He didnt support our Huck.. and he even seemed dismissive of Huck at times. Perry reminds me of a texas Romney.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:08 pm 
***** General

Liked: 259
I watched the debate and I liked Medina. Glad they are having her in the next debate. Yes, Perry also reminds me of a TX Romney-will say anything to get elected.

My only concern is will Medina be able to win in the general election? Because if not, Bill White has a chance as the Democrat. And given the excitement we saw in Texas on the democrat side, I bet many Texans are itching to elect a Democrat governor.

http://ilikemikehuckabee2012.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:57 pm 
***** General

Liked: 653
I can certainly understand the questions folks have about Perry and Hutchinson. I do not know Medina.

Ya never want to question Texans about their politics, but Medina seems to me a bit too much even for Texas. I can appreciate her fear that Texas is going the way of California , that property taxes are too high, that government does little well and should do less. Still my first impression was that her her ideological statements suggest policies that would not translate to actual governing.

For Example:

How, pray tell, does she expect to prevent the negative affect of the Federal EPA in Texas? Interposition? Nullification? Secession? (wait that's Perry)

Yes it is true that Texas has relatively higher property taxes but it has no income tax and ranks 43rd of 50 states in state and local tax burden. I'm sure they could move toward 44 or 45, but they are still quite a long way from California's 6th out of 50.

She will be a good indicator of the level of dissatisfaction going into the 2010 elections.

"As for us, our days of combat are over. Our swords are rust. Our guns will thunder no more. The vultures that once wheeled over our heads must be buried with their prey. Whatever of glory must be won in the council or the closet, never again in the field. I do not repine. We have shared the incommunicable experience of war; we have felt, we still feel, the passion of life to its top."

Oliver Wendell Holmes

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:05 am 
***** General

Liked: 211
Quote:
She will be a good indicator of the level of dissatisfaction going into the 2010 elections.

Yes, she will. I'm glad something has been brought up about this race as I am pretty curious about it but don't know much. Forgive me, Texans, if I am way off base here. From what I understand, in a nutshell, Perry is a jerk and Hutchinson is a liberal. I often wondered if you had a really good choice for Gov.

TEAM HUCK IOWA
http://www.facebook.com/TeamHuckIowa

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:06 am 
***** General

Liked: 523
Perry IS a jerk, but he postures well. (Romney strikes me as a fairly apt comparison)
Hutchison is not a liberal, but she's "squishy" - her conservatism is probably closer to McCain's but she at least toes the RNC party line.

Don't know anything about Medina. I would like to hear more. She comes across as honest & intelligent - isn't that refreshing in a pol?

Bill White worries me - painfully liberal, but a competent executive. He was fairly well liked as mayor of Houston. Did a good job handling Ike - kept things calm even when all the finger pointing was going on about why we couldn't get the freeway evacuation functioning, etc. If I like him better than Perry or Hutchison (and in many ways I do), that's a bad sign.

If he wins, it means that a Dem will be over-seeing re-districting here in TX and we will likely not be a red state again for a looong time... :cry:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:34 am 
*** General

Liked: 14
We never seem to have much choice for our races. KBH caved & voted for the stimulus. We just had to "do something". That's not leadership - it's panic. She also weakened the border fence behind the scenes when attention was on the presidential race. Perry has been pretty AWOL except during campaigns. He is trying to set himself up for a presidential run. He really pushed for the trans-Texas corridor after promising to get tough on illegals.

I certainly don't want White to win for the Dems. But they have been working hard for years to take over the state from the local level up. It was appalling to watch what he did to Houston as mayor. He handled Katrina well but the corruption with the downtown rail & the sanctuary city is frightening. The GOP elite has moved to the center as KBH champions & it has really weakened us. The cronyism runs deep. It's a mess. That's a lot of reason for no choice. And it has contributed heavily to the dems being able to take over. (My parents worked hard for the GOP for many years in TX, OK, & NM but are so thoroughly disgusted they won't have anything to do with it.)

We're pushing for Medina. She taps into the populist anger like Brown did. She's been going all over Texas for months to talk to the people like he did. I'm not saying they are comparable or that she is the perfect candidate (no one is). But I hope that what we see with Brown's campaign & the cratering poll numbers for incumbents across the country are an indication that we the people have had enough & want a chance to have a choice & a voice. She comes across as having common sense values & ideas & she listens to the people. She comes across as one of us because she is one of us. She has that independent Texas spirit & pushes hard for states rights & to follow the Constitution (both at the federal & state levels). That is refreshing.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:24 pm 
***** General

Hey, fellow Texans (& any other armchair pundits who would like to weigh in)!

I looked up Medina's site - and she looks great on the issues! I can see where she could win over the Republicans here (esp. with the current political climate). And I am seriously thinking of voting for her in the primary. I hate to split the conservative vote & end up with Hutchison getting the nomination though. And I'm wondering - does Medina have the appeal to win a general election? Could she appeal to enough independent Texans to win?

Frankly, I'm so disgusted with both Perry and Hutchison that I'm not even sure either of them could beat Bill White. White's kind of funny looking & not particularly charismatic, but he still projects an earnest sincerity with a respectable executive record & business resume - and voters have made it plain that the economy is what matters most to them right now.

Any info y'all might be able to share would be appreciated; I'd love to hear what others are thinking about this race.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:15 pm 
***** General

Liked: 259
I think it is important to watch the next debate in which all three will be there. It is some time next week. Hopefully we can get a better sense on Medina.

I did notice that my neighbor has already put up a Bill White for governor sign in her yard. My neighbor is a big time democrat and had Obama's sign up right away. Funny thing about the Bill White sign-it does not say Democrat on it. Given that we have primary signs all over the city for Republicans for city council, state representative and they actually say Republican under the candidates name, it is odd that White's sign is blank.

http://ilikemikehuckabee2012.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:39 pm 
***** General

Quote:
How, pray tell, does she expect to prevent the negative affect of the Federal EPA in Texas? Interposition? Nullification? Secession? (wait that's Perry)

I said that as something of a joke but here's what her web site says:

Quote:
We must use the tools of nullification and interposition aggressively if we are going to restore state sovereignty in Texas, if we are going to secure for all Texans a freedom to work and prosper as we choose and as we direct. As individuals, as parents, as families, and as Texans we must be courageous enough to say NO when Washington oversteps its bounds.

http://www.medinafortexas.com/restoreSovereignty

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

OK...where to begin...Tariff Crisis?...Appomattox Court House?...Ford's Theater?...the University of Alabama door to admissions?...massive resistance?...

Folks these doctrines, which do date from Jefferson and Madison in the Kentucky and Virginia Resolves do, in fact, have a connection to some of the founders all right. They also represent the ideological foundation for secession and 650,000 dead Americans between 1861-65 and every argument for segregation during the civil rights movement.

I'd really rather not plow that ground again. Those who still want to bring back interposition and nullification ("aggressively" no less) are WAY BEYOND anything I could support or remediate as a university professor of history.

"As for us, our days of combat are over. Our swords are rust. Our guns will thunder no more. The vultures that once wheeled over our heads must be buried with their prey. Whatever of glory must be won in the council or the closet, never again in the field. I do not repine. We have shared the incommunicable experience of war; we have felt, we still feel, the passion of life to its top."

Oliver Wendell Holmes

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:17 am 
Lieutenant General

We've got a Federal gov that is worse than a 8 million ton colicky baby.
And it's throwing one temper tantrum after another.
It needs to be shrunk down small enough so we can drown it in the bath tub.

But alas, I guess the spirit of the founders is dead.
No sense convincing anyone, going to use what I've learned as well as what time is left to prepare for what's ahead. Just hope the Lord returns first and makes it all moot. Just in case he delays, I am prepared and have little to gain by trying to convince the sheeple.
When their insane policies totally collapse the currency, the FED and its ever de-valuating currency will not even be good enough for the roadside rest stop johns.
The federal gov will be relegated to irrelevancy. The troops overseas will be abandoned. They're the last ones the politicians would bring home to man the gallows. What will remain are the states anyway. It just might all happen without a shot fired. Kind of like calling a war and nobody shows up.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:57 am 
***** General

SouthernDoc,

Having slept my way thru political science, somewhat literally rather than sleazily, I have no clue what you are referring to - is there a nullification and interposition for dummies?

It sounds as though you may be equating her idealism with the potential for secession & civil war?

The status quo pols turn my stomach - which one of these wannabes would you support?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:23 am 
*** General

Liked: 14
What I understand her pushing for is to [b]legally[b] challenge the fed when needed. There are states that are planning to sue over health care & that are writing laws that stop the federal government from trampling on their gun rights. Those are the types of actions I see from others. It seems that the action of standing up to the bully & saying NO MORE could be effective. The threat of legal action & banning together with other states could be pretty powerful. She knows the Constitution of Texas & the US & is pushing Perry & KBH to follow both. I do not believe at all that she is advocating for civil war.

You may be able to find the first debate somewhere. She clearly knew her stuff. She wasn't as polished as Huckabee (so few are) but she is impressive. I think she would actually do better than White. She is a small business owner. She is one of the real people who have to live & work & struggle here. It's been all grassroots to get her past the cronyism to debate the first time. She did so well that enough people voted for her on Rasmussen to get Belo to include her in the 2nd debate. (Maybe the angry letters, calls, & protests helped too.)

Palin is campaigning for Perry. The comments following the article clearly warn her she is making a mistake & should be supporting Medina. Seems that Medina is catching on. I was worried about her splitting the vote with Perry & sticking us with KBH but KBH is already losing the female vote to Medina & Perry is losing votes to her. So, I think she could take the state by storm if enough grassroots gets behind her & she does well in the debate again. She's having a money bomb soon & will need help there.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:35 am 
***** General

Here is a (still abbreviated) reply on Medina (who may be a lovely woman but all I have is her stated positions).
Quote:

Home > Library > Literature & Language > Webster 1913
n.
[L. interpositio a putting between, insertion, fr. interponere, interpositum: cf. F. interposition. See Interpone, Position.]

1. The act of interposing, or the state of being interposed; a being, placing, or coming between; mediation.

2. The thing interposed.

US Supreme Court: Interposition
Implied that the states have a right to interpose their authority to protect their citizens from the unconstitutional measures of the federal government. In 1798 Virginia proposed interposition to resist the Sedition Act. In the 1830s South Carolina asserted its rights to nullify a federal tariff but backed down when threatened with military force by President Andrew Jackson. Later Senator John C. Calhoun argued for interposition to prevent the delivery of mail in the South containing abolitionist propaganda.

In the 1850s many Northerners urged interposition, in the form of personal liberty laws and court actions, to prevent enforcement of the Fugitive Slave Act of 1850 (see Fugitive Slaves). In 1854 the Wisconsin Supreme Court declared the 1850 law unconstitutional and released the abolitionist Sherman Booth from federal custody. In overturning this decision, Chief Justice Roger B. Taney declared, in *Ableman v. Booth (1859), that such “propositions are new in the jurisprudence of the United States” and that the Supreme Court had the final authority to interpret the meaning of the Constitution (p. 514). Secession was the most dramatic form of interposition, and it was met with an equally dramatic and forceful response by President Abraham Lincoln.

After Brown v. Board of Education (1954), some southern states fought school desegregation with “massive resistance,” a form of interposition. In Cooper v. Aaron (1958), which involved the integration of schools in Little Rock, Arkansas, the federal courts cited Ableman v. Booth to reaffirm the principle that the Supreme Court had final authority to interpret the meaning of the Constitution. Interposition is now a relic of constitutional theory that died in the Civil War but was briefly and futilely resurrected in the 1950s and 1960s by diehard segregationists.

Nullification

Doctrine upholding the right of a U.S. state to declare null and void an act of the federal government. First enunciated in the Virginia and Kentucky Resolutions (1798), it was expanded by John C. Calhoun in response to the Tariff of 1828. Calhoun maintained that a state "interposition" could block enforcement of a federal law. The South Carolina legislature agreed by passing the Ordinance of Nullification (1832), threatening to secede if the federal government forced collection of the 1828 tariff duties. Pres. Andrew Jackson asserted the supremacy of the federal government. The U.S. Congress passed a compromise tariff bill reducing the duties but also passed the Force Bill, which authorized federal enforcement of the law. The South Carolina legislature rescinded its ordinance, but the conflict highlighted the danger of nullification.

Quote:
I have a dream that one day down in Alabama with its vicious racists, with its governor having his lips dripping with the words of interposition and nullification, one day right there in Alabama little black boys and black girls will be able to join hands with little white boys and white girls as sisters and brothers. MLK [

I too have a dream that one day conservatives will recognize that they cannot advance their (which is mine as well) goals of limited government while still being tone deaf to how their rhetoric and legal foundation will tie them to discredited concepts from the dustbin of history.

ANY Republican that suggests that "interposition and nullification" are legitmate arguments underpinnig a rational strategy to advance limited government will be seen as Jeff Davis-Bull Connor-George Wallace-Strom Thurmond all rising smokey from the grave to lead a campaign whose first "state-right" will be to limit the rights and opportunities of minorities. The irony is that all these folks were Democrats yet many in the Republican Party (which preserved the Union and passed the first Federal Civil Rights legislation) seem determined to carry all the loathsome historic baggage.

"Interposition and Nullification" are not "household terms" but neither is "from each according to his ability, to each according to his need," BUT any politician who invokes or paraphrases (like say..."Spread the wealth") the later will cause conservatives to go ballistic and in the long run (like say...after they actually govern based on the principle for a year) will doom the administration of a candidate so far from the mainstream of American political thought.

The language of "interposition and nullification" is freighted with meaning and historic association most dire and still much remember in some quarters.

A Republican candidate for Governor of Texas who invokes "Interposition and Nullification" is either blind to their meaning in history or blind to the political realities of the day.

The Dems would make mince-meat of Medina (if not in Texas then nationally) and drive every minority voter deeper into their party ranks.

I understand and share the frustration of those dismayed at the reach, scope, and corruption of Federal authority, but embracing "State's Rights" (and ALL thant will be implied by such an embrace) will not get us out of this wilderness.

We need FEDERAL office holders of integrity who believe in limited government, not quixotic gestures of defiance by state and local leaders.

The solution rests in the words of our last "peacher" to become President:

Quote:
"Now more than ever before, the people are responsible for the character of their Congress. If that body be ignorant, reckless
and corrupt, it is because the people tolerate ignorance, recklessness and corruption."

James Garfield

Oliver Wendell Holmes

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:27 pm 
Major General

Liked: 54
I cannot see another bloody civil war in our immediate future, at least I hope not.

I believe the only real solution to the ever growing encroachment of the Federal government is old fashioned siege warfare where an army surrounded a city-state and over a period of years starved the inhabitants out. We must surround Washington D.C. and deny the leaches their life's blood.... money.

The fair tax, which would make the amount of Federal taxes much more transparent, and would put the paying of such taxes much more in the control of the individual taxpayer might be one of the most promising solutions.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:03 pm 
***** General

byourCreator wrote:
I cannot see another bloody civil war in our immediate future, at least I hope not.

Nor do I. Not remotely. I think it is ridiculous to even suggest such a thing which is why I am shocked to see someone pushing "interposition and nullification" as if the terms don't have a context. Perry did this same thing on "secession" and has been trying to walk it back ever since. I do see much foolish rhetoric, fruitless gestures, and bitter feelings. I also see a pattern developing where anyone from the "outside" is better than everyone on the "inside."

Some will be attracted to ANY "none of the above" candidate simple because they are so disgusted/disappointed/desperate. But sometimes there is a reason why an obscure figure has labored in obscurity. The "outside" group represents a pretty large sweep of ideas and I'd just like to caution folks from joining up with folks till you've got more info. Those who argue that "anything else is better" or "things can't get worse" need to read more history, including the history of the first year of "Hope and Change".

Again, I don't know Medina beyond her own web-site. I don't really think any rational person would actually believe that "civil war" was on the political table or that Medina was calling for the Texas Rangers to gaurd the border and round up the Federal "revenuers," then declare for Texas Independence. But for crying out loud..."interposition and nullification"!!! She's actually using those terms?!!! Please spare me this nonsense and give me some realistic plan. I'm already having Doug Hoffman flashbacks and don't want White as governor.

I don't care for Perry or Hutchinson either but please tell me Medina is not our best "voice of reason" choice in Texas. :cry: :cry:

Oliver Wendell Holmes

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:01 pm 
***** General

Thank you for the explanation - and context - SouthernDoc!

All that shows up on Medina's wikipedia resume is this:
"Debra Medina got involved in politics in the 1990s and served as the Republican County Chairwoman of Wharton County. She also served as Interim State Coordinator for Campaign for Liberty."

In addition to being a nurse, I understand that she also successfully ran her own business - though I'm not sure what it was or how big it was.

melopa, isn't Campaign for Liberty Ron Paul's brainchild for training & helping out constitutionalist candidates? Is it simply to promote candidates who will defend the Constitution or is there a pro-active type agenda?

What exactly is a state supposed to do when the federal govt. tries to act unconstitutionally - to enforce some form of legislation that is unconstitutional?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:16 pm 
Lieutenant General

melopa, isn't Campaign for Liberty Ron Paul's brainchild for training & helping out constitutionalist candidates? Is it simply to promote candidates who will defend the Constitution or is there a pro-active type agenda?

C4L is 501c 4 type organization. I believe they cannot support candidates themselves, but can get involved in educational activities, as well as advocating for issues. I know they ran some ads before the health care vote.
They regularly hold conferences and have had speakers such as Judge Andrew Napolitano, Doug Wead and Tom Woods. The conferences have educational workshops that can be attended. I have not personally attended any of these.

Edit: I almost forgot their mission statement.

Our mission is to promote and defend the great American principles of individual liberty, constitutional government, sound money, free markets, and a noninterventionist foreign policy, by means of educational and political activity.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:31 pm 
Lieutenant General

More news about the last debate. Again, these are Hutchinson's internal polls.
Confirms Medina more popular since being seen in the debate.
In fact, most believe she won it (does anyone really win a debate?).

The Hutchison campaign has done polling about the debate. This is what they came up with:
–21.7% of the primary electorate viewed the debate
–39.1% thought Medina won
–16.9% thought Hutchison won
–15.5% thought Perry won
–14.4% thought Perry and Hutchison tied
–14.1% were undecided

How people watching the debate would vote:
–34.5% Hutchison
–29.2% Perry
–22+% Medina

Will the undecideds vote?
–84% certain to vote
–13% probably will vote

84% “certain” seems off-the-charts high, but the Hutchison folks believe turnout will be between 1.3 and 1.5 million.

http://www.texasmonthly.com/blogs/burkablog/?p=5944

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:55 pm 
Lieutenant General

Debra Medina has REAL grassroots supporters.
Perry has to hire his. But it's even worse
According to this Dallas Morning news article
He as hired some convicted Felons. How careless.

Maybe Rick Perry missed this because instead of spending time screening his employees, Perry is busy harassing citizens making fully legal private sales at Texas gun shows in Austin. He hires criminals while harassing citizens.
How very big brother governmental of him.

Exclusive: Perry voter turnout project signs up felons

The campaign lists about 300 part-time workers on the financial disclosure forms it filed with the state, recruits under the "Perry Home Headquarters" program that pays people to get others to sign up as a Perry supporter and pledge to vote. A handful have criminal histories, a Dallas Morning News review shows.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/0123dntexperry.415c4c7.html