Hucks Army - Faith. Family. Freedom. [Grassroots] JOIN HUCKS ARMY | GET INVOLVED | FUNDRAISING | LINKS | LEADERSHIP | ABOUT
It is currently Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:12 pm 
***** General

Liked: 259
So the debate just finished. What do all y'all Texans think? Did you make a decision or are you still deciding?

I have to say, that I disliked Perry before the debate and I still dislike him. I can just see him turning around in 2011 and announce that he is going to run for POTUS. So he does not have my vote.

What did you think of Medina, were you glad that she was in the debate?

What did you think of KBH and how she answered the questions?

http://ilikemikehuckabee2012.blogspot.com/

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:10 am 
*** General

Liked: 14
KBH seemed to flounder even worse than the first debate. Perry still two-steps around the questions & avoids responding to criticism of his record like he's walking through a cow pasture. The problems associated with his jobs program & how he railed against the stimulus money yet took it & spent $10mil on 1 (one) rest area (fancy toilet) near Austin does more than trouble me. It was disgusting to see him wink at one of the female moderators after she told him an answer was "close". Someone left a comment comparing him to Sanford - ouch! There were also a lot of negative comments on his illegal immigration college tuition stance. People complained that they can't get in-state tuition until they buy property or marry a Texan but an illegal can without the same restrictions.

My support for Medina is solidifying. I felt that she cleared up her stand on nullification & she stated clearly she is not for secession. I've also found several really good interviews lately that allow her to explain her positions pretty clearly.

I read different sites to see comments from those watching the debate. It's early but she has huge leads in all the polls. The local news that ran the debate had a poll during the 10PM news on who won.
68% Medina
22% Perry
10% KBH

Also found out about a candidate running for governor in OK who seems promising. I lived there for years & it is such a good 'ole boy mess. I really pray the fed up grassroots are able to send loud messages to the party elites (both sides).

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:08 am 
***** General

Liked: 523
Once again, I was unable to watch the debate - hope someone has some more video clips! Thank you for the posts ConservTexan & miracleshappen - that bit about the wink just reinforces my conviction that Perry will be creamed by White. He just can't help coming across like a used car salesman!

Here's the Houston Chronicle's version of what happened (need I tell anyone that they lean liberal?)
Quote:
Many attacks, but few suggestions
GOP candidates’ plans for Texas take a backseat

By R.G. RATCLIFFE and PEGGY FIKAC
Copyright 2010 Houston Chronicle
Jan. 30, 2010, 7:24AM
Louis DeLuca Associated Press
DALLAS — The Republican candidates for governor clashed in what is likely their final debate Friday, attacking one another's records but offering little vision as to what they would do as governor over the next four years.

Gov. Rick Perry spent most of the evening defending his promotion of the Trans-Texas Corridor, toll roads and the spending of $380 million to attract businesses to move to Texas. Perry said he would not have done anything differently during his nine years in office.

U.S. Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison again tried to square her “94 percent pro-life” voting record with her support for the Supreme Court decision legalizing abortion. She also took the brunt of anti-Washington rhetoric.

Activist Debra Medina had to distance herself from statements she made last year that if efforts to promote states' rights fail, the nation may need a “bloody war” of secession. Medina said she is against secession. She said she wants the state to be able to nullify federal laws, saying Texas usually does not get to keep all the federal gas tax money raised to build highways.

But very few concrete ideas were offered by the candidates on how to resolve a possible $17 billion shortfall in the state's budget over the next two years or how to pay for an expected $300 billion in highway construction needed over the next 20 years. Hutchison said Texas needs to halt the high rate of high school dropouts, though she offered no specific solutions.

Perry and Hutchison portrayed themselves as experienced political leaders who can lead the state through the problems ahead.

“We've got some big challenges in front of us. … It's going to take some experienced leadership, some experienced executive leadership to take this state forward,” Perry said.

Hutchison said cronyism between Perry and lobbyists is what prompted him to propose building the Trans-Texas Corridor and to mandate vaccinating sixth-grade girls against the sexually transmitted human papillomavirus, or HPV.

“We've got to stop it, and it will only be done with a new governor,” Hutchison said.

Medina, who is in distant third in the race, chided both. She said Perry is misleading Texans about the state economy while Hutchison's policies in the Senate have promoted globalization.

“Together, they're a team of economic tricksters intent on destroying our freedoms and selling Texas to the highest bidder. We deserve better,” Medina said.

She offered one of the more direct proposals of the evening: replace the property tax with increased sales taxes — even if that means the sales tax rate would have to go to 14 percent.

The enterprise fund
Some of the sharpest exchanges occurred over the governor's Texas Enterprise Fund, which has used $380 million in incentives to lure companies to Texas.

The governor's office recently renegotiated 11 contracts to give companies receiving state funds greater leeway on job creation. And Texans for Public Justice reported this week that many companies were having trouble meeting job goals, including one company that could not get enough visas to move workers from foreign countries into the state.

Perry said the fund has lured $16.4 billion in capital to the state and is creating 54,600 jobs. He said it has been an important part of creating a positive business environment that helped Texas stave off the worst of the national recession.

Hutchison described the fund as a waste of taxpayer money, saying it would have been better spent on education. Hutchison said the money was given to companies that likely would have moved to Texas without it.

Medina described it as a “corporate slush fund” given to “his friends' businesses” and filled with money taken from taxpayers “that's not his to give.”

Under questions from a panel, Perry said if he is re-elected he will serve his full term of office if the “good Lord” lets him live that long.

Some have speculated that Perry might run for president or vice president if re-elected.

Hutchison restated her promise to quit the Senate no matter whether she wins or loses the governor's race. Hutchison said she is not worried that the Democrats could win her seat and regain the vote they may need to pass national health care finance reform.

“There is not a scintilla of a chance that a Democrat from Texas will be elected to the United States Senate from Texas,” Hutchison said.

No other Republican debates are scheduled. A Democratic primary debate between former Houston Mayor Bill White and businessman Farouk Shami is scheduled for Feb. 8.

r.g.ratcliffe@chron.com
pfikac@express-news.net

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/politics/6842880.html

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:28 am 
*** General

QuoVadisAnima wrote:
Once again, I was unable to watch the debate - hope someone has some more video clips! Thank you for the posts ConservTexan & miracleshappen - that bit about the wink just reinforces my conviction that Perry will be creamed by White. He just can't help coming across like a used car salesman!

Activist Debra Medina had to distance herself from statements she made last year that if efforts to promote states' rights fail, the nation may need a “bloody war” of secession. Medina said she is against secession. She said she wants the state to be able to nullify federal laws, saying Texas usually does not get to keep all the federal gas tax money raised to build highways.

But very few concrete ideas were offered by the candidates on how to resolve a possible $17 billion shortfall in the state's budget over the next two years or how to pay for an expected $300 billion in highway construction needed over the next 20 years. Hutchison said Texas needs to halt the high rate of high school dropouts, though she offered no specific solutions.

Medina, who is in distant third in the race, chided both. She said Perry is misleading Texans about the state economy while Hutchison's policies in the Senate have promoted globalization.

“Together, they're a team of economic tricksters intent on destroying our freedoms and selling Texas to the highest bidder. We deserve better,” Medina said.

She offered one of the more direct proposals of the evening: replace the property tax with increased sales taxes — even if that means the sales tax rate would have to go to 14 percent.
[/quote]
QVA you should be able to the debate from Medina's website. I'll also try to see if DH can figure out where to find it exactly & post it for you. The article is totally biased. I've read comments from articles or newscasts from all over the state & they show the vast majority of support for Medina, KBH gets little support, & Perry a bit.
Medina didn't walk her remarks back. She got the truth out that what she said was taken out of context in response to Perry calling for secession. She stated clearly she isn't for secession & but supports legal means for nullification & states' rights. There are videos of her explaining this better. It concerned me so I looked into it. She's been interviewed by Judge Napalitano & those are quite informative.
She also wants to abolish property taxes. She gave fairly clear explanations in a short answer for how this would help the budget problems. It seems more like a fair tax than anything else to me.
I'll see what I can do to get a video posted. Or at least the links. I've tried, wonderfully patient people have tried to explain it to me, & it still eludes me. Forget dieting, it's my New Year's Resolution to learn this. :lol:

In the meantime, if anyone is interested, Medina is having a moneybomb Tues. Feb. 2. She really is gaining in popularity & momentum even though the media is trying to ignore her. She's getting some national attention though so this race may heat up quick. Her facebook has exploded while KBH is adding maybe 4/day. Medina was gaining 1/min. I think Rasmussen is doing a new poll on the race so I'll be interested to see what it says.
http://www.medinamoneybomb.com/
http://www.medinafortexas.com/

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:28 am 
*** General

QuoVadisAnima wrote:

[/quote]
QVA you should be able to the debate from Medina's website. I'll also try to see if DH can figure out where to find it exactly & post it for you. The article is totally biased. I've read comments from articles or newscasts from all over the state & they show the vast majority of support for Medina, KBH gets little support, & Perry a bit.
Medina didn't walk her remarks back. She got the truth out that what she said was taken out of context in response to Perry calling for secession. She stated clearly she isn't for secession & but supports legal means for nullification & states' rights. There are videos of her explaining this better. It concerned me so I looked into it. She's been interviewed by Judge Napalitano & those are quite informative.
She also wants to abolish property taxes. She gave fairly clear explanations in a short answer for how this would help the budget problems. It seems more like a fair tax than anything else to me.
I'll see what I can do to get a video posted. Or at least the links. I've tried, wonderfully patient people have tried to explain it to me, & it still eludes me. Forget dieting, it's my New Year's Resolution to learn this. :lol:

In the meantime, if anyone is interested, Medina is having a moneybomb Tues. Feb. 2. She really is gaining in popularity & momentum even though the media is trying to ignore her. She's getting some national attention though so this race may heat up quick. Her facebook has exploded while KBH is adding maybe 4/day. Medina was gaining 1/min. I think Rasmussen is doing a new poll on the race so I'll be interested to see what it says.
http://www.medinamoneybomb.com/
http://www.medinafortexas.com/

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:59 am 
*** General

I'm going to try to post the videos of the Belo debate (the 2nd GOP debate for TX governor).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qR8CBNxn1yY

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:02 am 
*** General

Part 2 if I am doing this right.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJPVGLdy2wU

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:13 pm 
***** General

Thank you, miracleshappen! I forwarded your links & info to everyone on my email list who lives in TX including my homechool support group! Praying that the moneybomb explodes today - that would get some media attention & hot publicity! Told my DH about how she's a pro-life homeschooling mom who carries a handgun & he said "Donate!" :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:30 pm 
*** General

QuoVadisAnima wrote:
Thank you, miracleshappen! I forwarded your links & info to everyone on my email list who lives in TX including my homechool support group! Praying that the moneybomb explodes today - that would get some media attention & hot publicity! Told my DH about how she's a pro-life homeschooling mom who carries a handgun & he said "Donate!" :lol:

LOL! The bomb is going good. The following article from an Austin paper reports how her small donors are higher than Perry/KBH for Jan. It won't include this month. Today alone she raised almost $55K from midnight to 4PM. There is a rumor that Rasmussen's poll will be out today at 5PM. I'm really interested to see how that goes. She trends way higher in google searches (when compared to Perry/KBH), is making faster gains in facebook friends, & has 3 times more small donors than Perry/KBH. People are excited, they are volunteering.
Quote:
Small donors driving Medina campaign

By Kate Alexander | Tuesday, February 2, 2010, 01:16 PM

While Debra Medina’s campaign fund-raising cannot compete with the big-money machines of her Republican primary competitors, she has smoked them over the past month in terms of contributions from small donors.

The latest campaign finance reports, released Tuesday, show that Medina raised almost $63,000 in January from donors who gave $200 or less. Gov. Rick Perry and U.S. Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison each brought in the less than $16,000 from small-dollar givers.

Medina’s debate performance in mid-January helped to raise her statewide profile and she brought in almost $146,000 in January, about 60 percent of what she raised in all of 2009. She drew donations from 1,400 individuals in January, more than three times the number of contributions received by either of her competitors.

Her fund-raising total of $378,015 is still a pittance compared to Hutchison’s $13.1 million and Perry’s $12 million. Of course, the big difference between Medina and her well-funded candidates are the big donors. It is tough to keep up when your competitors are getting $100,000 checks.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:34 pm 
***** General

Liked: 32
Newly Released Rasmussen Poll

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_ ... r_governor
Quote:

Quote:
Election 2010: Texas Republican Primary for Governor
Texas GOP Primary: Perry 44%, Hutchison 29%, Medina 16%
Tuesday, February 02, 2010 Email to a Friend ShareThisAdvertisement
Incumbent Rick Perry's lead over Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison has grown a little bigger in the race for this year's Republican gubernatorial nomination in Texas. Tea Party activist Debra Medina also has gained ground, and her gains appear to come at the expense of Hutchison.

The latest Rasmussen Reports survey of likely Republican Primary voters in Texas finds Perry leading Hutchison 44% to 29%, with Medina at 16%.

Medina has gained four points since the previous survey while Hutchison has lost four points. Perry's support is little changed from a month ago.

Medina, the owner of a medical consulting firm, has seen her support grow from four percent (4%) in November to 12% in January to 16% now. She was invited to participate in a televised debate with Perry and Hutchison last Friday night based upon the growing voter support shown in the previous Rasmussen Reports survey.

Texas Republicans will choose their nominee for governor in a March 2 primary. New numbers on the Texas general election gubernatorial contest will be released tomorrow.

(Want a free daily e-mail update? If it's in the news, it's in our polls). Rasmussen Reports updates are also available on Twitter or Facebook.

Perry leads Hutchison by 18 points among conservative primary voters, and conservatives dominate Republican primaries in Texas and throughout the nation. Hutchison leads by 11 among moderate voters.

Turnout is often difficult to project for primaries. However, for Hutchison to win with the current attitudes, she would need more than 50% of the primary voters to be politically moderate.

Perry leads Hutchison by 24 points among men and five points among women.

Medina picks up 20% of the male vote and 12% support from women.

Eighty percent (80%) of likely primary voters have a favorable opinion of Perry. Sixty-seven percent (67%) say the same about Hutchison, and 50% are that upbeat about Medina.

However, Medina is much more competitive when those with strong opinions are considered. Twenty-four percent (24%) voice a Very Favorable opinion of Perry, 18% have a Very Favorable opinion of Hutchison, and 16% say the same about Medina.

Four percent (4%) have a Very Unfavorable opinion of Perry. Each of the other candidates is viewed Very Unfavorably by eight percent (8%).

Hutchison initially indicated a willingness to quit the Senate to run for governor but has never set a date for stepping down. In November, 57% of all voters in the state said Hutchison should stay in the Senate while running for her party's gubernatorial nod.

Seventy-four percent (74%) of Texas GOP voters approve of the job Perry is doing as governor. That's up six points from a month ago. However, only 18% strongly approve.

Rasmussen Reports has released recent polls on the 2010 governor's races in Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Massachusetts, Minnesota, New Hampshire, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania and South Carolina.

Rasmussen Reports also has surveyed Senate races in Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Illinois, Missouri, Nevada, New Hampshire, North Dakota, Pennsylvania, Ohio and Florida. Most portray a troubling electoral picture for Democrats in this November's midterm elections.

Former state House Speaker Marco Rubio has now jumped to a 12-point lead over Governor Charlie Crist in Florida's Republican Primary race for the U.S. Senate.

Please sign up for the Rasmussen Reports daily e-mail update (it's free) or follow us on Twitter or Facebook. Let us keep you up to date with the latest public opinion news.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:44 pm 
*** General

Thanks voter! I'm still too new at this to know what it really means. I was hoping for a bigger gain but with such limited coverage & money - it seems like a good gain. She is picking up more attention each day. I think that's what happened with Scott Brown.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:54 pm 
***** General

Liked: 653
Quote:
Eighty percent (80%) of likely primary voters have a favorable opinion of Perry. Sixty-seven percent (67%) say the same about Hutchison, and 50% are that upbeat about Medina.

Four percent (4%) have a Very Unfavorable opinion of Perry. Each of the other candidates is viewed Very Unfavorably by eight percent (8%).

Seventy-four percent (74%) of Texas GOP voters approve of the job Perry is doing as governor. That's up six points from a month ago. However, only 18% strongly approve.

These are not the numbers of an incumbent Governor at risk of loosing his party's nomination.

I know many here (including myself) are less than fans of Perry (mildly said), and some are enthusiastic about Medina.

But with one month to go Perry is sitting very pretty. He's got $12 million to protect his lead and more if he needs it. It's his very high positives and extremely low negatives that really make him presently bullet-proof.

Something bigger than a money-bomb would be needed to open this up.

Are there more debates scheduled? That's the only way I can think anything more than the margin can be changed.

"As for us, our days of combat are over. Our swords are rust. Our guns will thunder no more. The vultures that once wheeled over our heads must be buried with their prey. Whatever of glory must be won in the council or the closet, never again in the field. I do not repine. We have shared the incommunicable experience of war; we have felt, we still feel, the passion of life to its top."

Oliver Wendell Holmes

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:58 pm 
Lieutenant General

Liked: 19
Southern Doc wrote:
Quote:

These are not the numbers of an incumbent Governor at risk of loosing his party's nomination.

I know many here (including myself) are less than fans of Perry (mildly said), and some are enthusiastic about Medina.

But with one month to go Perry is sitting very pretty. He's got $12 million to protect his lead and more if he needs it. It's his very high positives and extremely low negatives that really make him presently bullet-proof.

Something bigger than a money-bomb would be needed to open this up.

Are there more debates scheduled? That's the only way I can think anything more than the margin can be changed.

If Debra keeps gaining support at the rate she is now, can she either force a runoff or actually be the one in the runoff with Perry? I'm not totally clear on Texas, but if Perry fails to get 50%, does that force a runoff? If so, how soon afterward does the runoff occur? Someone from Texas, let me know.

Unfortunately, doc, if things don't change drastically your prediction will likely come to pass - run-off or no run-off. But in any case, I still think Perry may be better than what we have in PA for a governor - Democrat Ed Rendell.
We have a real longshot candidate here who would be good. His name is Sam Rohrer, presently a state representative in PA, running in the Republican primary.

http://www.samrohrer.org/

You say "Conspiracy Theorist"?? Call me Agenda Analyst.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:06 pm 
***** General

Southern Doc, you are correct. There's a Wall Street Journal article that mentions the possibility of a runoff which I believe Medina's presence will force.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704194504575031561621158280.html

IMO, even if all Medina does is force Perry to sweat a little bit for his nomination, then she has had a positive effect here! He & the party leadership need to know that there is dissatisfaction in the ranks.

I wish it was the norm in all elections that one candidate has to win a majority of support or face a runoff - that would really help with people who feel like they have to vote strategically for someone with more popular support to avoid splitting that support & letting someone less liked sneak in from behind - which I believe is what happened with the Dems & John Kerry in '04 (& some say happened with the GOP race in '08)

Oh, and unfortunately, this was the last debate - Perry & KBH would be foolish to do anymore, I think. Too bad more Texans weren't watching.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:16 pm 
Lieutenant General

QuoVadisAnima wrote:
Southern Doc, you are correct. There's a Wall Street Journal article that mentions the possibility of a runoff which I believe Medina's presence will force.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704194504575031561621158280.html

IMO, even if all Medina does is force Perry to sweat a little bit for his nomination, then she has had a positive effect here! He & the party leadership need to know that there is dissatisfaction in the ranks.

I wish it was the norm in all elections that one candidate has to win a majority of support or face a runoff - that would really help with people who feel like they have to vote strategically for someone with more popular support to avoid splitting that support & letting someone less liked sneak in from behind - which I believe is what happened with the Dems & John Kerry in '04 (& some say happened with the GOP race in '08)

Oh, and unfortunately, this was the last debate - Perry & KBH would be foolish to do anymore, I think. Too bad more Texans weren't watching.

I understand Medina gained 4% since the last debate, and KBH lost 4%.
If this swapping of support between these two can be maintained until the primary, it could be Medina and Perry in the run-off. If there could be a run-off I would think there would be at least one more debate, and news coverage of this election would intensify. It could also give Medina the more time to reach more Texans with her message.
Melo_(I)n_PA

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:28 pm 
Lieutenant General

Suppose this swapping of support happened each week or so... But within 2 week intervals, at the most..
Perhaps, like this:

KBH Medina
Feb 2 29% 16%
Feb 16 25% 20%
Mar 2 21% 24%

If it can happen soon enough it would be Medina and Perry in the run-off.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:25 pm 
***** General

Yes, but since there are no further planned debates, and Medina is the one most helped by the debates, I seriously doubt we will see anymore. So what else can she do in such a short time to persuade voters to support her?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:14 am 
Major General

Liked: 23
I am a native Texan and a 69 years old independent, conservative voter. I watched both GOP televised debates. Medina says she is a Christian and talks like one. She also talks like a libertarian and TEA Party member unhappy with established ways of governing. She came on the scene too late for this race I am afraid but I hope she will run for another state office.

Senator Hutchinson came to my rural community in East TX last Friday afternoon and gave a short speech to about 300 people. She took time to walk and talk to the voters afterwards. I attended and she came across as very personable and knowledgeable. The State Commissioner of Agriculture was with her and he is very supportive. I personally do NOT want four more years of Perry but would rather have him over a liberal. Hutchinson has some valid concerns and constructive goals for improving our state and although her own record in the Senate is not very noteworthy, she could "clean house" and be a very effective governor. Absentee voting begins here Feb. 16th and I am leaning toward Hutchinson.

Reminder: Hutchinson was one of Mike's first political guests on his TV program and she was very positive and complimentary. However, I do not think Mike or HuckPAC will endorse a candidate in the this race.

Please pray for Texans to select the best person to lead our state. THANKS !

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:39 am 
*** General

Hutchison is not conservative fiscally or socially. She isn't being honest with Texans when she jumps on Perry for overspending. Citizen's Against Government Waste just posted the "2009 Porker of the Year". Hutchison is the only republican on the list & she "won" due to the large amount of earmarks she brought home. With her record, when would she begin to "clean up" Texas? She hasn't done so while representing us. She has been a huge part of the problem.
http://www.cagw.org/newsroom/releases/2 ... frank.html
Quote:
February 1, 2010

CAGW Names Rep. Barney Frank 2009 Porker of the Year
Still Trying to Cover His “Fannie”

(Washington, D.C.) - Citizens Against Government Waste (CAGW) today announced the results of its online poll for the 2009 Porker of the Year. House Financial Services Committee Chairman Barney Frank, (D-Mass.) won with 49 percent of the vote. In second place was Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison (R-Texas) with 26.3 percent. Third-place honors went to Rep. Maxine Waters (D-Calif.) with 6.6 percent. Honorable mentions go out to Rep. Russ Carnahan (D-Mo.) with 5.9 percent and Rep. Neil Abercrombie (D-Hawaii) with 5.5 percent. President Barack Obama was the overwhelming favorite in the write-in category, coming in just behind Rep. Abercrombie and ahead of last-place Secretary of Transportation Ray LaHood.

Chairman Frank garnered the lion’s share of the votes as a result of his relentless and garrulous role in the failure of the government-sponsored enterprises Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, the two mortgage government-sponsored enterprises (GSE), which were taken into government conservatorship in September of 2008 after they began to collapse. The two GSEs, which own or guarantee half of the nation’s $11 trillion home mortgages, have been on life support with $112 billion in taxpayer funds since then and taxpayers could be liable for trillions in bad loans on their balance sheets.

Among GSE defenders, Chairmen Frank is without peer. He safeguarded their lavish franchises and fended off any attempts to establish GSE oversight even when it became clear that GSE executives had manipulated earnings statements, given themselves huge bonuses based on bogus numbers, and steered the companies into such a precarious condition that they threatened the entire financial system. In one of his most outrageous statements, he told The New York Times on September 11, 2003 that the GSEs were “not facing any kind of financial crisis…[t]he more people exaggerate these problems, the more pressure there is on these companies, the less we will see in terms of affordable housing.” During a 2003 committee hearing, he casually announced that he didn’t want “the same kind of focus on safety and soundness that we have in Office of the Comptroller of the Currency and the Office of Thrift Supervision. I want to roll the dice a little bit more in this situation towards subsidized housing.”

In an astounding “Barney-Come-Lately” statement on January 22, 2010, Chairman Frank said that his committee will now recommend “abolishing Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac in their current form and coming up with a whole new system of housing finance.” Taxpayers should not hold their breath in the misguided belief that the Chairman has suddenly gotten religion on privatization. “The seeds of the GSE meltdown were sown by politicians like Barney Frank. He has no intention of giving up federal control over housing finance. Taxpayers can be certain that he is already cooking up a new and obscenely expensive scheme to permanently nationalize housing finance,” said CAGW President Tom Schatz.

Citizens Against Government Waste is the nation's largest nonpartisan, nonprofit organization dedicated to eliminating waste, fraud, abuse, and mismanagement in government. Porker of the Year is a dubious honor given to a lawmaker, government official, or political candidate who has shown the most blatant disregard for the interests of taxpayers throughout the year.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:00 am 
Lieutenant General

QuoVadisAnima wrote:
Yes, but since there are no further planned debates, and Medina is the one most helped by the debates, I seriously doubt we will see anymore. So what else can she do in such a short time to persuade voters to support her?

Yes, it just may wind up being a case of too little too late. And it's a shame.
She has very little financing compared to her bought and paid for competitors.
Debra Medina actually has had vastly more donors, but hers are everyday folks who can't all afford to donate the maximum - all small dollar donors. I read:

"She drew donations from 1,400 individuals in January, more than three times the number of contributions received by either of her competitors."

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/politics/entries/2010/02/02/small_donors_driving_medina_ca.html?cxntfid=blogs_postcards

I was/am really rooting for Texas on this one. There is a lot more hope for this race than we have in the Governor's race here in PA. I know they are trying to get word of the debates out to more folks in Texas, it seems a lot of people did not see the debates, and when they do, a majority decide to support Medina.
I don't know if the debates will get replayed much on tv there either.

I am glad the same thing did not happen in the FL and KY Senate races.
Marco Rubio and Rand Paul are also getting huge numbers of supporters donating small sums of money but in their cases, the advantage in numbers of donating supporters is large enough to make their victories more likely.
These two also gained traction much earlier than Medina.
I heard Rubio is up 12 percent over Crist and Paul is 19 percent above Grayson.
I really like it when candidates of "we the people" get a shot at winning.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next