Hucks Army - Faith. Family. Freedom. [Grassroots] JOIN HUCKS ARMY | GET INVOLVED | FUNDRAISING | LINKS | LEADERSHIP | ABOUT
It is currently Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: S.C. showdown.........
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:33 am 
***** General

Liked: 31
http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/20 ... 3R8beGqhH7
(CNN) – Mitt Romney has stayed out of several hot Republican primaries this year, but he's wading into a high profile one in South Carolina.

Romney endorsed state Rep. Nikki Haley's bid for governor on Tuesday, calling her "a person of character and as the spokesperson for a new generation of leadership for South Carolina."

Haley, a protege and ideological ally of the fiscally conservative Gov. Mark Sanford, is cashing in a chip from the last presidential race: she supported the former Massachusetts governor when he ran for the White House in 2008.

Romney will campaign for Haley in the Palmetto State on April 1 - a visit that will give him a chance to greet supporters in a key primary state as he plots a second presidential bid.

By backing Haley, Romney is also breaking with the consulting firm that managed his unsuccessful South Carolina campaign in 2008. That team is now running Barrett's race.

Haley, an Indian-American state legislator from conservative Lexington County, trails her GOP opponents in the polls and has struggled to boost her profile statewide. But she has attracted the support of national small government activists hungry for fresh faces in the Republican party.

Haley is fighting for the GOP nomination against Attorney General Henry McMaster, Lieutenant Gov. Andre Bauer and Rep. Gresham Barrett - all of whom can also boast support from national Republican figures. Sen. John McCain has raised money for McMaster, former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee has endorsed Bauer and former Sen. Rick Santorum has campaigned for Barrett.
The leading candidates for the Democratic gubernatorial nomination are state Superintendent of Education Jim Rex and state Sen. Vincent Sheheen

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:46 am 
Captain

Liked: 3
How do Bauer and Haley's conservative 'creds' stack up vs one another. Does one have a better resume? Can Mike or Mitt say I endorsed the "more conservative" candidate?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:34 am 
Brigadier Geneal

Liked: 23
I think the only reason Mitt made this endorsement is so he can get one back in 2012. Of course, to be fair, one could say the same about Huckabee. All 3 candidates are making endorsements in important primary states.

Follow me on Twitter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:52 pm 
***** General

Liked: 190
I live in SC and I believe this race will be between Bauer and McMasters. I have never even heard of Haley. Don't believe she has a chance....

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:48 pm 
Brigadier Geneal

The grassroots is behind Nikki, I believe because of the Redstate endorsement, it carries a lot of weight, being the most widely read republican blog. And with a Mitt Romney endorsement, she will soon be known.

Follow me on Twitter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:33 am 
Lieutenant General

Liked: 1
Your average South Carolinian wouldn't read a political blog if it were the only magazine in the dentist's office. I had never heard of Haley until Romney's endorsement. I'm with nrobyar. The Republican primary race will be between McMasters and Bauer with anyone else a distant third or fourth.

Jim Rex, our current Superintendent of Eduction, is the favored Democrat. He has done an excellent job so far, and education is a main concern in SC. The big worry should be which Republican can best beat Rex. I don't think Bauer can. I have not found any polls on the subject, but most people I know under the age of 80 think he is a lightweight.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:37 am 
***** General

Liked: 211
Joshua Clinard wrote:
The grassroots is behind Nikki, I believe because of the Redstate endorsement, it carries a lot of weight, being the most widely read republican blog. And with a Mitt Romney endorsement, she will soon be known.

Red State has endorsed her long ago and by these numbers the support doesn't show. I believe their primary is June 8, along with Iowa's, so if she is going to get a bump it better start now.

Here are the numbers from Bauer's tweet:

Quote:
Gr8 day. Trucking Assoc.Poll (%’s)- Bauer 58, @greshambarrett 31, @henryMcMaster 9, @nikkiHaley 4. Cant wait for tomorrow!

I refuse to give a "Republican blog" too much importance.

By the way, these numbers are so not Mitt. He rarely gets involved in primaries and then goes with a candidate who is polling low single digits? I know she supported him, but still. This was a state he supposidly "pulled out of" because McCain had it "wrapped up" even though Romney still had full staff working around the clock there and spent more money on advertising in SC than all candidates combined.

TEAM HUCK IOWA
http://www.facebook.com/TeamHuckIowa

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:06 am 
Brigadier Geneal

Why is the Trucker's Association doing a poll, and who are they polling? Is it just truckers, or the general pop?

Follow me on Twitter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:55 pm 
*** General

Liked: 43
http://mittromneycentral.com/2010/03/18/mitt-romney-endorses-nikki-haley-for-south-carolina-governor-and-ties-president-obama-in-2012-poll/#comment-6585

I'm ready to do some SERIOUS battle with Mitt Romney. We have so much ammo (Articles based in FACTS) to use, I'm sure that we can wisely reach large numbers of his fans on facebook through kind spreading of the truth about his terrible economic record as a Governor, RINOism when it comes to social/moral issues, the difference between him and Huck on TARP, RomneyCare, and his little blurb in his book about Global Warming being real and man-made.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:37 am 
Private

Liked: 0
Is Mitt Romney a Conservative?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:13 am 
General

Buttons wrote:
Is Mitt Romney a Conservative?

Welcome to HucksArmy Buttons! I hope you will enjoy your time here with fellow Huckabee supporters. Please take a moment to introduce yourself over on the Introductions Page.

As to your question of whether Mitt Romney is a conservative. Our observation has been that it depends on which office he is running for and the leanings of those voters. He tends to sway with the wind.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:21 am 
General

It is hard to believe that the polsters are not all over this race given the significant roll South Carolina played in the 2008 presidential elections. Here is a Rasmussen Poll taken the first part of March. Notice the % still undecided.

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/elections2/election_2010/election_2010_governor_elections/south_carolina/election_2010_south_carolina_republican_primary_for_governor

The first Rasmussen Reports Election 2010 survey of likely GOP Primary voters in the state finds McMaster capturing 21% of the vote, closely followed by Lieutenant Governor Andre Bauer with 17% support.

Fourteen percent (14%) of primary voters like Congressman Gresham Barrett. State Representative Nikki Haley earns 12% of the vote. Nine percent (9%) prefer some other candidate in the race.

Most significantly, however, 29% of likely Republican Primary voters remain undecided. To avoid a runoff, a candidate needs to win 50% of the primary vote.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 11:09 pm 
***** General

Liked: 225
Sarah Palin has joined Mitt Romney in endorsing state Rep. Nikki Haley for governor.
Cnn.com

Primary is June 8!

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 11:25 pm 
Site Admin

Liked: 782
It does seem that Sarah Palin is aligning herself with Romney!

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 11:48 pm 
***** General

Liked: 183
christopher.wilkerson wrote:
Sarah Palin has joined Mitt Romney in endorsing state Rep. Nikki Haley for governor.
Cnn.com

Primary is June 8!

Could this be an attempt to win back the tea party group after her "bad" endorsement in California.

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 10:29 am 
***** General

Liked: 211
Very interesting that Palin and Romney have weighed in on this gubernatorial primary with Huckabee. So far, Huckabee is the only one endorsing in the Iowa gubernatorial primary which is the same date and I bet Palin and Romney will not put one toe into our primary that has turned into an all out inner-party war with pro-familly groups and other people stating that they will not support Terry Branstad if he is the nominee. Palin and Romney do not want to risk their "future" whatever that may be. Very interesting decision on their part considering we are the first in the nation caucus state.

TEAM HUCK IOWA
http://www.facebook.com/TeamHuckIowa

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 10:42 am 
***** General

Liked: 32
Most likely, if everyone stays in, it will result in a runoff.

I believe the winning candidate will be McMaster -- nobody's choice.

Whoever wins the primary -- or the general election, for that matter -- Huckabee will be victorious in S.C. primary if he runs!! The governor will play no role.

Increasingly, the issue I am most focused on is whether or not Huckabee runs.

Of Romney, Huckabee, Palin and Gingrich -- only two really should be competing (Romney and Huckabee) -- and Huckabee is still mulling it over. It just shows you their personalities -- Huckabee is cautious -- takes him time. But I do believe the forces are drawing him in.

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 11:47 am 
***** General

Mitch Daniels is starting to get attention in the last few days - Dan Coats saying that Daniels is considering it. Also Daily Beast has Daniels at #1 spot for nomination ahead of Huck, Romney and Palin.

I think we will start to see some try to promote Daniels and Thune as the dark horses (maybe Pence and Perry). Pawlenty is out in my opinion.

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 12:45 pm 
***** General

Liked: 32
Quote:
I think we will start to see some try to promote Daniels and Thune as the dark horses (maybe Pence and Perry). Pawlenty is out in my opinion.

I think you are right about Daniels -- they have already tried. This points to the fact that the establishment is not sold on Romney -- worried about MassCare -- and looking for a substitute. This means nothing for Huckabee right now because he wil be the last one they look to (see below) -- it is Romney's threat, not Huckabee.

They already gave Palin a second chance back in November (concurrent with her book tour, etc) and she has simply failed the test. If you note, it is the democrat pundits (and her fans) keeping her alive. The GOP is attempting to downplay her. Whether or not she runs, Palin is politically irrelevant.

They gave Pawlenty a chance but thus far he can't pull his weight -- and I don't think he will. Perry will not be a contender for 2012 -- look for 2016 if the opportunity presents itself.

Daniels is a good VP candidate -- but, firstly, I don't think he is really serious; secondly, he lacks the necessary charisma necessary to break through a Romney/Huckabee blockade. Maybe if Huckabee doesn't run -- which would make me extremely sad.

They may look at Pence and/or Thune but for all the reasons above -- especially the Romney/Huckaee blockade -- they will never get the necessary movement. Plus they are legislators -- and the public is screaming for executor experience.

Once they have gone the gamut -- and if Huckabee is a contender and continues to poll well with across-the-board net favorables, they will eventually look his way -- wait and see -- the most important thing for 2012 is that they want to beat Obama -- and they are looking for the best candidate to do that. They just haven't looked in the right direction.

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 1:08 pm 
***** General

voter wrote:
Quote:

I think you are right about Daniels -- they have already tried. This points to the fact that the establishment is not sold on Romney -- worried about MassCare -- and looking for a substitute. This means nothing for Huckabee right now because he wil be the last one they look to (see below) -- it is Romney's threat, not Huckabee.

They already gave Palin a second chance back in November (concurrent with her book tour, etc) and she has simply failed the test. If you note, it is the democrat pundits (and her fans) keeping her alive. The GOP is attempting to downplay her. Whether or not she runs, Palin is politically irrelevant.

They gave Pawlenty a chance but thus far he can't pull his weight -- and I don't think he will. Perry will not be a contender for 2012 -- look for 2016 if the opportunity presents itself.

Daniels is a good VP candidate -- but, firstly, I don't think he is really serious; secondly, he lacks the necessary charisma necessary to break through a Romney/Huckabee blockade. Maybe if Huckabee doesn't run -- which would make me extremely sad.

They may look at Pence and/or Thune but for all the reasons above -- especially the Romney/Huckaee blockade -- they will never get the necessary movement. Plus they are legislators -- and the public is screaming for executor experience.

Once they have gone the gamut -- and if Huckabee is a contender and continues to poll well with across-the-board net favorables, they will eventually look his way -- wait and see -- the most important thing for 2012 is that they want to beat Obama -- and they are looking for the best candidate to do that. They just haven't looked in the right direction.

Excellent analysis Voter! I hope to meet you someday - I have really come to respect your perspective!