Hucks Army - Faith. Family. Freedom. [Grassroots] JOIN HUCKS ARMY | GET INVOLVED | FUNDRAISING | LINKS | LEADERSHIP | ABOUT
It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:37 am 
***** General

Liked: 525
Note to those in the ostritch position: this isn't just going away.

http://www.ajc.com/blogs/content/shared-blogs/ajc/bookman/entries/2008/12/29/the_gops_minority_outreach.html

The GOP is apparently intent on continuing its minority outreach program — if by outreach you mean a running back’s stiff-arm to any minority voter who might come close.

The latest event was the decision by one of the top candidates for the post of Republican National Committee chairman to send out a CD to RNC members containing a song about “Barack the Magic Negro,” sung to the tune of “Puff the Magic Dragon” by someone impersonating Al Sharpton.

The lovely tune was originally broadcast on Rush Limbaugh’s show. But Chip Saltsman of Tennessee apparently doesn’t understand that it’s one thing to play the segment on a controversial talk radio show, and another to have it sent out by someone wanting to be elected to head the national party and serve as party spokesman.

It brings to mind the local Republican official here in Georgia who sent out an email to her fellow Republicans not so long ago with a doctored photo of Obama as a black lawn jockey, among others. She wasn’t a racist, she insisted, and neither were the 20 or so Georgia conservatives who had sent the photo to her.

One of the more curious responses came from Erick Erickson over at redstate.com. “”In any event, that Chip Saltsman did this shows poor judgment on his part,” Erickson writes. “He should have known this would happen. This is a distraction from the RNC Chairman’s race coming on the heels of revelations that South Carolina GOP Chairman, and fellow contender, Katon Dawson belonged to an all white country club shortly before he decided to run for RNC Chairman.”

So far, so good. However, Erickson also believe that “There is absolutely nothing racist about the song, but the race baiters of the world love to think there is. The added humor is that the song accurately captures the problems of the race baiters in American with Obama as President.”

Erickson goes on to chide the current RNC chair, Mike Duncan for saying he was “shocked and appalled that anyone would think this is appropriate, as it clearly does not move us in the right direction.” To Erickson, “This suggests he doesn’t keep up with Rush Limbaugh, which suggests he’s a bit disconnected from the roots of the party.”

So Limbaugh now apparently sets the standard for what’s appropriate in the Republican Party? Is he, in effect, the unofficial RNC chairman, with the official titleholder bound to follow Limbaugh’s lead?

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:16 am 
***** General

Liked: 0
*shakes head*

You know what.. the GOP needs this..seriously.

Time to air all that dirty linen if we are ever to have a prayer at a fresh start.

His maiden, singing a victory song for faith, family and freedom
http://maidensong.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:13 pm 
***** General

Liked: 653
Quote:

So Limbaugh now apparently sets the standard for what’s appropriate in the Republican Party? Is he, in effect, the unofficial RNC chairman, with the official titleholder bound to follow Limbaugh’s lead?

I put this on the original thread, but it really belongs better here:

At its core this controversy will again expose just how out-of-touch, impolitic, and fatal to our future, Rush Limbaugh (and his immitators) have become.

Once again we get to have a public spectacle in which Republicans can only be hurt as a party and as individuals because of the pre-emminent role of Rush as "leader of the opposition." If he is our leader, I demand a vote of no-confidence!

Scores of prominent Republicans will now line up to defend his "humor" or risk being castigated for three hours a day as insufficiently "conservative."

Frankly I have had enough of an egotistical, thrice divorced, rehab-Republican defining "conservative." Personally I think conservatives have long promoted and defended: humility (especially in leaders); faithfulness (especially to spouses); self-control (especially the quality of restraint). These are "conservative" values!

Yet, Jeremiah Rush is our man and we will rally round him! Such folly!

Michael Medved was very correct in his assessment that we must move on from Rush and his brand/style of talk radio (but not the forum of talk radio):

http://blogs.usatoday.com/oped/2008/12/ ... radio.html

I'd add to Medved this little gem from Rassmussen in 2007:

Quote:
JOURNALIST
FAV/UNFAV RATING

KATIE COURIC
48% / 42%

BILL O'REILLY
44% / 41%

TIM RUSSERT
43% / 34%

BRIAN WILLIAMS
41% / 26%

PAULA ZAHN
41% / 31%

CHARLES GIBSON
37% / 31%

SEAN HANNITY
37% / 29%

WOLF BLITZER
36%/ 35%

LARRY KING
35% / 46%

RUSH LIMBAUGH
33% / 62%

CHRIS MATTHEWS
26% / 37%

MAUREEN DOWD
24% / 28%

ALAN COLMES
23% / 33%

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_ ... ournalists

It's time for all the lemmings to follow Mr. 62% negative over the cliff.

What was Chip thinking? Oh wait...that assumes too much.

Look I'm sorry this is harsh but in the words of Rhett Butler, "Waste always makes me angry. And that's all this is...sheer waste!"

A rather "conservative" response, don't you think?

"As for us, our days of combat are over. Our swords are rust. Our guns will thunder no more. The vultures that once wheeled over our heads must be buried with their prey. Whatever of glory must be won in the council or the closet, never again in the field. I do not repine. We have shared the incommunicable experience of war; we have felt, we still feel, the passion of life to its top."

Oliver Wendell Holmes

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:28 pm 
Lieutenant General

Liked: 0
tpetersel wrote:
*shakes head*

You know what.. the GOP needs this..seriously.

Time to air all that dirty linen if we are ever to have a prayer at a fresh start.
I agree totally. As I read the article, I thought, "I want no part of belonging to a party like this!"

So, I agree with what you've said, tpetersel. :|