Hucks Army - Faith. Family. Freedom. [Grassroots] JOIN HUCKS ARMY | GET INVOLVED | FUNDRAISING | LINKS | LEADERSHIP | ABOUT
It is currently Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:36 am 
***** General

Liked: 247
Quote:
Republican Convention Has '50-50' Chance Of Being Open: Former GOP Chair

Michael Steele, the former Republican national chairman who oversaw the writing of the party's nominating rules in 2010, told The Huffington Post Saturday night that the chances of an open -- that is, undecided -- GOP convention in Florida next August are now "50-50" after Newt Gingrich's victory in South Carolina.

"It's a real possibility," Steele told HuffPost. "Right now I'd say it's 50-50. The base wants its chance to have their say. They aren't going to want it to end early, before they get their chance, which means that the process could go all the way to Tampa."

And if it does, Steele says, the result will not be an unpalatable anti-democratic display of insider deal-making, but rather an advertisement for the ideological and grassroots input of the party.

"You would see the people who had the influence to begin with -- the Tea Party, the social conservatives, you name it, hashing it out right in front of us all. I think that is good."

More:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/2 ... 21350.html

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:39 am 
***** General

Liked: 215
Steele has a history of saying silly things in an attempt to appear relevant, in my opinion. Still, the thought of a brokered convention sounds good to me!

ATTENTION GUESTS: Thanks for checking out our Discussion Forum. Before you go, please take a minute to click on the image below and get registered to join the discussion. You'll enjoy all the perks, such as being able to track which posts you've read already. It will also allow us to contact you with important news and information. Plus, we'd just love to hear what you have to say!

MEMBERS: Want to put the "Get Registered" image in your signature? Learn how here.

______________________Image______________________

Post by cschande has received Likes: 3 ColoradoMom4Huckabee, IowaforHuckabee, justgrace

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:41 am 
***** General

Liked: 653
:D :D

:eatingpopcorn :eatingpopcorn :eatingpopcorn :eatingpopcorn :eatingpopcorn :eatingpopcorn :eatingpopcorn :eatingpopcorn :eatingpopcorn :eatingpopcorn

"As for us, our days of combat are over. Our swords are rust. Our guns will thunder no more. The vultures that once wheeled over our heads must be buried with their prey. Whatever of glory must be won in the council or the closet, never again in the field. I do not repine. We have shared the incommunicable experience of war; we have felt, we still feel, the passion of life to its top."

Oliver Wendell Holmes

Post by Southern Doc Liked by: ColoradoMom4Huckabee

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:43 am 
***** General

Southern Doc wrote:
:D :D

:eatingpopcorn :eatingpopcorn :eatingpopcorn :eatingpopcorn :eatingpopcorn :eatingpopcorn :eatingpopcorn :eatingpopcorn :eatingpopcorn :eatingpopcorn

A BIG ditto, Southern Doc. This scenario is my only hope of getting fired up about this election! :wink:

Post by ColoradoMom4Huckabee has received Likes: 2 QuoVadisAnima, WhatsNotToLike?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:45 am 
Lieutenant General

Liked: 31
Can someone explain how Mike Huckabee might figure in if this is the case? I mean, in a brokered convention, how likely is it that they would turn to someone who's not running, like Mike Huckabee, to be the nominee? I'm just trying to gauge the possibility of that happening. Is that rationally possible? What are the mechanics that would have to go into something like that?

:?:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:52 am 
***** General

Liked: 72
atrain3067 wrote:
Can someone explain how Mike Huckabee might figure in if this is the case? I mean, in a brokered convention, how likely is it that they would turn to someone who's not running, like Mike Huckabee, to be the nominee? I'm just trying to gauge the possibility of that happening. Is that rationally possible? What are the mechanics that would have to go into something like that?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brokered_convention

Quote:
In 1976, the Republican primaries gave President Gerald Ford a slight lead in the popular vote and delegates entering the Republican National Convention but not enough delegates to secure the nomination. A brokered convention was predicted but Ford managed to receive the necessary support on the first ballot to edge Ronald Reagan. This is the last time a Republican presidential convention opened without the nominee having already been decided in the primaries.[5]

"If there was hope, it must lie in the proles..." George Orwell's Nineteen Eighty-Four

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:57 am 
***** General

atrain3067 wrote:

"It would take a miracle..." :wink:

"Have fun storming the castle!" :eatingpopcorn

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:02 am 
Lieutenant General

ColoradoMom4Huckabee wrote:
atrain3067 wrote:

I would love for Huckabee to be the nominee, but I don't see where, in the past, open or brokered conventions have turned to someone who wasn't in it 'till the end. I don't want to get my hopes up and then have them dashed again, but where would you say it is between (well let's just use sports injuries projections): doubtful, questionable, probable?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:33 am 
***** General

Liked: 523
cschande wrote:
Steele has a history of saying silly things in an attempt to appear relevant, in my opinion. Still, the thought of a brokered convention sounds good to me!
Yes, but as much as we want it to be Huck, we know the party leadership is extremely unlikely to go there; it would have to be someone palatable to them. Who do you think they would go with?

Romney is already causing a grassroots revolt.
Gingrich would cause a leadership revolt.
Santorum could cause the supporters of Romney & Gingrich to scream 'foul' and revolt.
Paul would cause a grassroots & leadership revolt.

So they would be likely to go outside the candidates at hand now, don't you think?
Who is liked by both leadership AND grassroots and is not in a position that the Party can't afford to lose and can also put up a credible fight against Obama?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:37 am 
***** General

Liked: 215
QuoVadisAnima wrote:
cschande wrote:
Yes, but as much as we want it to be Huck, we know the party leadership is extremely unlikely to go there; it would have to be someone palatable to them. Who do you think they would go with?

Romney is already causing a grassroots revolt.
Gingrich would cause a leadership revolt.
Santorum could cause the supporters of Romney & Gingrich to scream 'foul' and revolt.
Paul would cause a grassroots & leadership revolt.

So they would be likely to go outside the candidates at hand now, don't you think?
Who is liked by both leadership AND grassroots and is not in a position that the Party can't afford to lose and can also put up a credible fight against Obama?

I guess I'm still hoping/believing that person might be Santorum. I think he gets along well enough with the establishment but can also appeal to more grassroots conservatives. Obviously my ultimate choice is still Huck, but I'm not too optimistic that the establishment has sufficiently warmed up to him. At this point, though, I'd prefer even a Mitch Daniels, a Bobby Jindal, or a Haley Barbour to Romney or Gingrich. I think our options get a lot better at a brokered convention, even with the establishment in charge. How could they not?

ATTENTION GUESTS: Thanks for checking out our Discussion Forum. Before you go, please take a minute to click on the image below and get registered to join the discussion. You'll enjoy all the perks, such as being able to track which posts you've read already. It will also allow us to contact you with important news and information. Plus, we'd just love to hear what you have to say!

MEMBERS: Want to put the "Get Registered" image in your signature? Learn how here.

______________________Image______________________

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:38 am 
***** General

Liked: 653
atrain3067 wrote:
ColoradoMom4Huckabee wrote:
atrain3067 wrote:

I would love for Huckabee to be the nominee, but I don't see where, in the past, open or brokered conventions have turned to someone who wasn't in it 'till the end. I don't want to get my hopes up and then have them dashed again, but where would you say it is between (well let's just use sports injuries projections): doubtful, questionable, probable?

Adalai Stevenson 1952 Democratic nominee

"As for us, our days of combat are over. Our swords are rust. Our guns will thunder no more. The vultures that once wheeled over our heads must be buried with their prey. Whatever of glory must be won in the council or the closet, never again in the field. I do not repine. We have shared the incommunicable experience of war; we have felt, we still feel, the passion of life to its top."

Oliver Wendell Holmes

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:33 am 
Lieutenant General

^ Thanks Doc :eatingpopcorn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:03 pm 
Major General

Liked: 147
Quote:
"You would see the people who had the influence to begin with -- the Tea Party, the social conservatives, you name it, hashing it out right in front of us all. I think that is good."
I especially appreciate this line. He seems to be acknowledging how important we are to the party. Perhaps it's too little too late for him but I guess it's nice to be noticed.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:31 pm 
*** General

Liked: 115
It's really, really unlikely that there will be a brokered convention. Almost 0% chance. Either Gingrich or Romney will likely pull away from the other one. The momentum from their wins will create more wins, and all the winner-take-all primaries late in the primary season will produce a decisive winner in the delegate count.

Very few delegates will be awarded before Super Tuesday. One candidate will probably then take a lead on Super Tuesday and win most of the primaries after Super Tuesday.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:33 pm 
Lieutenant General

Liked: 36
It looks like neither Santorum nor Gingrich will be able to reach 1,144 delegates:
http://race42012.com/2012/03/06/santorum-cannot-realistically-get-to-1144-delegates/

So are we heading towards a brokered convention? :D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:54 pm 
Lieutenant General

Liked: 22
Not until they can block Romney from getting to 1144 also.

Grant wrote:
It looks like neither Santorum nor Gingrich will be able to reach 1,144 delegates:
http://race42012.com/2012/03/06/santorum-cannot-realistically-get-to-1144-delegates/

So are we heading towards a brokered convention? :D

FairTax Indiana on Facebook

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:21 pm 
*** General

Liked: 115
I'd like to revise my post from in January. Looks like it's very possible that no candidate gets 1,144 delegates. Romney has to be the favorite because the unpledged delegates will likely go to him, but that could change. Santorum could consolidate the conservative vote behind him and really take it to Romney in the coming months. Establishment types will be loathe to support anyone but Romney, but if Santorum is winning everything in May and June, then how could they just hand the nomination to Romney? The entire party would revolt. The more likely solution is to have both Romney and Santorum on the ticket with whoever's leading in delegates being at the number 1 slot.