Hucks Army - Faith. Family. Freedom. [Grassroots] JOIN HUCKS ARMY | GET INVOLVED | FUNDRAISING | LINKS | LEADERSHIP | ABOUT
It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:04 pm 
***** General

Liked: 169
Today (March 16), Erick Erickson posted an article about how he wishes the GOP could find a candidate who resonates with Reagan's "Morning in America" optimism. Erickson states that if Mike Pence isn't running, the next in line for this quality would be Huckabee... but of course, he then states that Mike doesn't really have the conservative record. Post your respectful COMMENTS PLEASE!!
http://www.redstate.com/erick/2011/03/1 ... oking-for/
Quote:
I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For

Posted by Erick Erickson
Wednesday, March 16th at 5:00AM EDT
74 Comments
“I want a candidate who expresses the optimism of America — the shining city on the hill — and actually comes across as believing it, not just catering to me.”

Yesterday in the Politico, Jonathan Martin gave a conservatives in the mist take on the 2012 “theme” from the GOP — America ‘in decline’.

I think the take is exactly opposite how he characterized it — though it is all semantics. It is not ‘America in decline’, but ‘America the Great’ that is the theme.

At a time when Barack Obama is intent on taking over the economy one-fifth at a time and leftists are turning the more-likely-than-not traitor Bradley Manning into a hero, it is more and more clear that the San Francisco left that Jeanne Kirkpatrick warned us about 25 years ago has finally gotten to have their way with America.

The theme is not about our nation in decline, but about letting a group of people run the nation who want us to decline.

It is easy to get hung up on the doom and gloom of the 2012 Republican candidates. They are a gloomy bunch. Sure they are trying to sound optimistic, but I’ve heard most all of them speak. With few exceptions, they have the oratory skills of a gaggle of warbling albatrosses and some, worse, sound like warbling albatrosses being violated by lepers.

I still haven’t found what I’m looking for. And I may not. It’s precisely why I wanted Mike Pence to run for President.

Huh? Well . . .There are differences in how people run for office. It seems that most of those running for the GOP nomination in 2012 are going through the motions. They have to talk about X in the G-major key to get group Y’s support.

They think they have to hit on certain issues over and over. Hilariously, I recently attended an off the record meeting with several of the candidates invited to speak. Not one hit on any of the themes the attendees at the meeting much cared about.

What these candidates need to do is not focus on the doom and gloom, which while they say they are not they really are. They instead need to focus on the greatness of America. And when they do, they could at least sound like they believe it and aren’t just saying it to get my vote.

I was listening to one of these guys prattle on and on about education a few weeks ago to a group that would prefer less federal education spending. It transitioned into more about America the beautiful, etc., etc., etc. I was left with the distinct impression this guy really wanted to talk about anything but American greatness, but felt like he had to go through the motions.

That’s why I like Mike Pence and why I wanted him to run. When he speaks on these issues, you know he means it. You know he wakes up and Russell Kirk is firing on all cylinders in his mind. You know he is not just going through the motions.

With Mike Pence out of the running, I think, in all seriousness, the guy who does it the best is Mike Huckabee. I’m not a Huckabee guy, but he resonates. He exudes compassion and love for country in a way the other guys do not.

I have not found what I’m looking for. I want a candidate who expresses the optimism of America — the shining city on the hill — and actually comes across as believing it, not just catering to me. I want Mike Pence or Mike Huckabee’s oratory skills and conviction in what they say with Mike Pence and Jim DeMint’s actual conservative convictions.

I want somebody who may not even exist. That’s kind of depressing. Right now, I’m about right here. And Iowa draws closer and closer.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:19 pm 
***** General

Liked: 653
80 posts and only three address Huck. The contest on the thread is between the Palin loyalists and the "fantasy" candidates like Cain or Paul. Erikson, who is above all else a pragmatist though he pretends at being an ideologue, cleaarly sees the writing on the wall that Huck is currently the only viable candidate to take down Obama.

This quote from the comments, from a regular poster, I thought was revealing of where their thought process is heading:

"Huckabee is a RINO by today’s standards. According to some, so is Santorum, Mitch Daniels, Thune, Gingrich, Pawlenty, Boener, Cantor, and everybody else.

I guess the moral of the story is that EVERY Republican with a voting record is a RINO….. which leaves Sarah Palin, who has only a two year voting history as governor."

"As for us, our days of combat are over. Our swords are rust. Our guns will thunder no more. The vultures that once wheeled over our heads must be buried with their prey. Whatever of glory must be won in the council or the closet, never again in the field. I do not repine. We have shared the incommunicable experience of war; we have felt, we still feel, the passion of life to its top."

Oliver Wendell Holmes

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:20 pm 
***** General

Liked: 215
Well, that's a start. Maybe we can remind him of areas where he would agree that Mike is conservative and build on that.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:42 pm 
General

Liked: 71
I live in Atlanta where Erick Ericison has taken over Herman Cain's microphone for the local radio station while Cain courts votes in Iowa. I have been waiting for EE to say something ugly about Huckabee so I could call in and refute it but I have yet to hear anything negetive from EE on his new radio gig. I guess this explains why I am stilling waiting for his negetivity towards Mike.

Now if we can just get his friend, Michelle Malkin, to go from hostle to nuetral in regards to Huckabee.

:pigflying

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:36 pm 
***** General

Liked: 211
Quote:
who is above all else a pragmatist though he pretends at being an ideologue

You nailed it on the head who EE really is.

Quote:
I guess the moral of the story is that EVERY Republican with a voting record is a RINO….. which leaves Sarah Palin, who has only a two year voting history as governor."

Right on. That is why I am going to throw my hat in the ring for POTUS because it seems all that these people want is someone who stands for the right things, isn't afraid to speak their mind, and minimal to no executive experience to back up what they say.

TEAM HUCK IOWA
http://www.facebook.com/TeamHuckIowa

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:37 pm 
***** General

Liked: 211
I know what Erickson is going through. I see these candidates circling their way through Iowa and frankly, they all suck so far. Just my two cents worth. Sure, they have positive qualities, but not for President and certainly not for someone who has to take down BO to become President.

TEAM HUCK IOWA
http://www.facebook.com/TeamHuckIowa

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:28 pm 
***** General

Liked: 275
Southern Doc wrote:

Christine O'Donnell isn't doing anything right now.......maybe she can be their standard bearer. :lol:

Not really impressed with Erickson as a pundit or a writer, not sure why he has much clout with anyone, IMHO.