Hucks Army - Faith. Family. Freedom. [Grassroots] JOIN HUCKS ARMY | GET INVOLVED | FUNDRAISING | LINKS | LEADERSHIP | ABOUT
It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Redstate: Optimism
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:49 pm 
***** General

Liked: 183
Quote:
OPTIMISM

by Erick Erickson
October 2, 2011

I’ve been dwelling on this for a couple of weeks. Call it, if you will, the “Carville Rule” named for the consultant who came up with it (at least I’ll give James credit). It is simply that the most optimistic candidate wins.

Listening to the debates, listening to the speeches, and listening to the general nature of this election, I have to tell you I don’t think there is much optimism out there. And I don’t just mean optimism among the voters and nation as a whole. There is little optimism in the candidates.

As Peggy Noonan noted this weekend, there is some serious patriotism building up in the men and women at work across this country. Right now they just want someone to rally to. They don’t need Reagan, but they need someone with Reagan’s sense of the American ideal.

They haven’t found that person.

Quote:
It is one reason I actually smiled at the news Mike Huckabee might get in the race. I genuinely like Mike, though I loath what I view as his pro-life statist policies. I’d prefer to put “compassionate conservatism” in the ground once and for all.

Quote:
The President is giving the Republicans every opportunity to shine. But they are all so busy talking down the other guys in the field, they are not talking up the United States. Whether Huckabee gets in or not, I would encourage each one of the candidates to remember that this nation wants and needs someone right now who is not just a fighter, but also a cheerleader — someone who still sees the shining city on the hill.

I don’t get that from any of the candidates right now except Herman Cain. They should all be doing that.

Entire article here:

http://www.redstate.com/erick/2011/10/02/optimism/

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Redstate: Optimism
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:08 pm 
***** General

Liked: 653
It is both "news" and revealing that this is the second "on balance" positive post concerning Huck in two days on Redstate. That's two more than the last four years.

The field is clearly VERY weak. Mike is clearly a strong choice and even his long time critics know it. They want to win badly. Mike has done much over the last four years to quell the real fears of his critics and put the lie to the manufactued ones.

Still they have hoped that someone would emerge (Sanford, Thune, Jindal, Daniels, T-Paw, Palin, Bachmann, Perry, Cain) that would somehow unite the party and be all-things-to-all. They have thus far not found what they're lookin for. They are now down to Cain (whom they are now trashing as quickly as they praised him litterally yesterday) and the forelorn hope of Christie (of whom I am quite certain few outside the North East really understand to be a North East Republican (ergo- functionally pro-choice, gay rights, gun control, active govt.) who will not survive the scrutiny of the conservative GOP primary base.

If only we had a:

eloquent yet folksy

multi-term governor

who was prolife and social values

who was a traditionalist strong and even proactive defense hawk

who was fiscally conservative especially regarding corporatism with the govt picking winners and losers being unacceptable.

It would also help is he was a Southerner or Middle Ammerican as that is now the base of the GOP and if the base is held this cycle a victory is almost certain.

Truth is that Huckabee is the best candidate pragmatically by far. Romney second. Perry third.

What we have to hope is that the false hope (Christie), distant hope (Cain) and phyric hope (Romney) fade in time for enough pragmatic rainmakers to turn to the real man from Hope.

One can still hope (at least for three more weeks). :D

"As for us, our days of combat are over. Our swords are rust. Our guns will thunder no more. The vultures that once wheeled over our heads must be buried with their prey. Whatever of glory must be won in the council or the closet, never again in the field. I do not repine. We have shared the incommunicable experience of war; we have felt, we still feel, the passion of life to its top."

Oliver Wendell Holmes

Post by Southern Doc has received Likes: 2 ConservTexan, janelles

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:31 pm 
***** General

Liked: 523
No kidding - if God is going to give us the miracle we're praying for, He's certainly taking it right down to the wire!

It kills me to see everything lining up so perfectly for him and he's not taking it. :cry:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:17 pm 
General

Liked: 41
Pray for the money men to step forward. The only problem is that they would want to see Huckabee actually enter the race before they commit funds to him. Huckabee wants to see the money first....usually doesn't work that way!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:34 pm 
General

Liked: 71
My bumper sticker is still firmly and squarely placed on the back of my truck.

Huckabee 2012!!

:pray

As in the late 70's, Americans are hurting in a bad way. Many of us have a story or are only 1 family member removed from a heartbreaking story of how of they or someone they know is suffering in this economy. Our continued recession is diminishing our dreams of the american way of prosperity and happiness and even with our own and best planning. Careers are being removed, our hopes are being dimished, lifestyles are being forcably altered.

My own story is that after obtaining two degrees in landscape architecture and civil engineering and feeling assured I would be forever employed, I have spent the past two years without a stable job and going week to week with my finances. When tough economic decisions are a daily occurance, it weighs on your emotions and can effect those around you. We are searching for someone to show us some answers but we are indeed finding no one.

When Reagan came along in 1980, he was the only one that could communicate optimism and make us feel like americans again. There was only 1 Reagan and forever there will be only one and I hope we don't again fall into the trap of looking for another Reagan like in 2008 but instead look for the man for our times. At special times in our lives, certain people seem borned for the moment like Gen. Washington was for our independence, President Lincoln was for the civil war, Gen. Patton was for WWII, Dr. King was for the civil rights movement, and Reagan was for our national heritage.

Today, I feel Mike Huckabee was born for times like these. We need economic solutions for a politically divided country. People generally respect and like Mike Huckabee and americans are looking for someone that is affable, who has moral clarity and can make us feel like americans again. All the current candidates have fallen short in this regard.

I and americans alike need Mike Huckabee.

Post by FiscalConservative has received Likes: 2 IowaforHuckabee, janelles

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:15 pm 
***** General

Liked: 523
Vote For Truth wrote:
Pray for the money men to step forward. The only problem is that they would want to see Huckabee actually enter the race before they commit funds to him. Huckabee wants to see the money first....usually doesn't work that way!

I believe it would be enough if he was promised the $upport of people with funds or at least fund-raising ability.