Hucks Army - Faith. Family. Freedom. [Grassroots] JOIN HUCKS ARMY | GET INVOLVED | FUNDRAISING | LINKS | LEADERSHIP | ABOUT
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 4:50 am 
Captain

Liked: 72
http://www.politico.com/click/stories/1 ... l#comments

The timing was incredible. Trump sat stone faced at correspondence dinner while Obama and others roasted him as a joke. Trump was noticeably angry without cracking a smile. It was hard to watch and very embarassing for him because he predicted Obama would not joke about him. :floor

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 5:19 am 
Captain

He joked at all the prospective candidates except one..........because he's no joke........governor Mike Huckabee.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 8:36 am 
Site Admin

Liked: 782
dadof5 wrote:
http://www.politico.com/click/stories/1104/trump_obama_wont_joke_about_me.html#comments

The timing was incredible. Trump sat stone faced at correspondence dinner while Obama and others roasted him as a joke. Trump was noticeably angry without cracking a smile. It was hard to watch and very embarassing for him because he predicted Obama would not joke about him. :floor

I thought Seth went a little overboard, though, and Donald was steaming. What would have been funniest of all would have been if Donald had not showed up. They would have had to scramble for some other jokes.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 9:36 am 
***** General

Liked: 525
I think Donald Trump magnified the damage to his image by looking so angry and refusing to laugh or at least smile through so much of it. He actually got booed when he entered the room.

What really pushed things over the edge for him in terms of his public image was when he started suggesting that the President wasn't smart enough to be in Harvard, that he wanted to look at his collegiate record and that he spent his time "playing basketball." A lot of people were upset about that. Because of this, there are a lot of people who didn't feel sympathy for Trump - and feel even more that way as Trump continued to give that cold stare throughout the comic's performance.

If you can't laugh at yourself, politics is the WRONG PLACE for you. Late night comics make a living off of mocking whoever is President at the time. If you can't take it and if you insist on some sort of reverence and public adoration and go berzerk when you don't get it, you'll end up in an asylum.

I think that this whole thing (the Presidential run) is a publicity stunt for Trump. But I think it's clear to him now that it is a publicity stunt that went very, very wrong. His public image has been damaged by all of this, and perhaps permanently so. When people like to laugh at you AND when they also have begun to sincerely dislike you, you're probably not going to be measuring any curtains in the Oval Office.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 2:20 pm 
Captain

Liked: 57
It is one thing to joke and "roast" someone and yes other presidents have done it. But they don't outright insult others to the extent that Obama did. Obama was not there to have a good time and crack a few jokes. He was there to take advantage of the excuse to "jokingly" insult others and he pushed it to the total limit. Although I am in no way a Trump supporter, Trump was very insulted and Obama did way more than was called for in this. I think Obama just made a very powerful enemy in Trump who could use his billions to get him ousted in '12. Obama showed his true self here as an arrogant jerk when he "jokingly" made asinine comments that went way beyond the pale to slander, demean and malign really good people like Paul Ryan and Michelle Bachmann.
Obama has never understood how to honor the office of the president with dignity and respect. This event showed that truth glaringly and brings
to mind other times of disrespect like pictures of Obama with his feet up on the Oval Office desk. Reagan had his humor and didn't mind making jokes but he never ever lost his respect for the honor of the Office of the President. Reagan held so much reverence and respect for the Office of the President that he refused to ever take his jacket off while in the Oval Office.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 3:05 pm 
***** General

Liked: 525
Were you really offended about the Bachman comment? All I heard him say was that she was born in Canada. I didn't think it was that funny of a joke but I didn't think it was offensive. Clearly, he took some shots at Trump (some of which I did think were funny). But I did not think he went over a line so much there either - I thought the SNL comic went in on that much more and that his stuff was much more edgy

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 3:35 pm 
Major General

Liked: 147
TheValuesVoter wrote:
Were you really offended about the Bachman comment? All I heard him say was that she was born in Canada. I didn't think it was that funny of a joke but I didn't think it was offensive. Clearly, he took some shots at Trump (some of which I did think were funny). But I did not think he went over a line so much there either - I thought the SNL comic went in on that much more and that his stuff was much more edgy

Actually I thought the Canada thing was hilarious. We jokingly refer to MN as New Canada around here so that made me laugh. I did think that a couple of his remarks about Ryan went a bit too far but over all it wasn't bad. I personally think Trump got exactly what he deserved. He's behaved horribly and should be ashamed. Obama is a horrible president and his policies are destroying our economy and our standing in the world. Instead of focusing on that Trump gases on about a birth certificate and whether the president deserved to go to Harvard. :wall

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 5:29 pm 
***** General

Liked: 190
What's really sad is that Trump is taking the spotlight off the real candidates, but this may actually be working to Huckabee's advantage since he has not gotten in the race and it is really Romney, Pawlenty and Gingrich who are taking the hit by being practically ignored by the media while they dwell on "The Donald."

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 12:07 am 
Major General

Liked: 147
nrobyar wrote:
What's really sad is that Trump is taking the spotlight off the real candidates, but this may actually be working to Huckabee's advantage since he has not gotten in the race and it is really Romney, Pawlenty and Gingrich who are taking the hit by being practically ignored by the media while they dwell on "The Donald."

I certainly hope you're right!

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 12:37 am 
***** General

Liked: 169
TheValuesVoter wrote:
I think Donald Trump magnified the damage to his image by looking so angry and refusing to laugh or at least smile through so much of it. He actually got booed when he entered the room.

If you can't laugh at yourself, politics is the WRONG PLACE for you. Late night comics make a living off of mocking whoever is President at the time. If you can't take it and if you insist on some sort of reverence and public adoration and go berzerk when you don't get it, you'll end up in an asylum.

ValuesVoter, you took the words right out of my mouth. Trump just sat there, immobile, with daggers shooting out of his cold eyes. He really looked like he was about to jump up and punch someone.

Trump is a megalomaniac, who thinks he can rule the free world just by saying "You're fired." I think the presidential run is not just a publicity stunt, but more of an ego exercise, like Ross Perot's was. I think a lot of extremely wealthy men (and maybe women) find that all that money's not REALLY enough...because they lack the sense of respect and legitimacy, a sense of being able to control EVERYTHING, not just their business empire. And so they look for the ultimate prize: being Caesar, and having their name in the history books and on a monument somewhere.

Trump showing what a thin skin he has, will just bring even more scorn. The press, who love a good story. will smell blood and track him like a pack of hunting dogs.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 12:49 am 
***** General

Liked: 523
Yeah, well someone must've told him - today he is playing it up that he was honored by all the attention, etc. :roll:

Trump was invited by WaPo. It was a set up & therefore it was rude.
So much for the new civility... :roll: :roll: :roll:

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 1:29 am 
***** General

Liked: 169
TheHill.com: Trump says the jokes about him were "inappropriate in certain respects."
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing- ... ppropriate

Excerpt:
Quote:
While a fair amount of Obama's repertoire was directed at Trump, as was Meyers', there were plenty of other Republicans and Democrats who got teased. Obama also had some zingers for the rest of the likely Republican presidential field, but a lot of his jokes were directed at Trump, who is considering running for president in 2012.

For example, one of Obama's jokes had to do with the decisions Trump has to make on his show "Celebrity Apprentice."

"These are the kind of decisions that would keep me up at night," the president quipped about choosing the fates of Meatloaf, Lil Jon and Gary Busey.

While much of the room was laughing during the acts, Trump smiled only a few times and an open-mouthed grin never seemed to actually cross his face. ...

On Sunday Trump said that all the jokes were inappropriate given the problems facing the American people.

"I don't think the American people are having a good time paying $5 gasoline and their clothing prices doubling and all of the other problems that they've got," Trump said. "You look at what's happening with food, so I was thinking to myself as they were doing this, the American people are suffering and we're all having a good time. I think it's inappropriate in certain respects, but I thought the delivery was good."

Trump said he was expecting a few jokes directed at him but not as many as actually came.

"I had no idea it would be to that extent where it was just joke after joke after joke," Trump said.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 7:33 am 
Captain

Certainly Obama did not look presidential but I don't pity "the Donald". Trump has repeatedly insulted the president openly in the media.....looks like he got a little payback. Trump said he expected this.....that's bull...he would have never showed up if he knew he would be roasted like that.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 7:38 am 
Captain

Let all these prospective candidates be vetted by the media and the American people. They will all fall by the wayside. Huckabee does not mind all the competition. He is comfortable in his own skin. He knows his life is in God's hands. He will emerge through the rubble as the victor no matter what because he has not compromised his integrity.