Hucks Army - Faith. Family. Freedom. [Grassroots] JOIN HUCKS ARMY | GET INVOLVED | FUNDRAISING | LINKS | LEADERSHIP | ABOUT
It is currently Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:44 am 
***** General

Liked: 0
What are some of Huckabee's accomplishments (in all arenas) in Arkansas and in the nation in general?

(bullet point format, no paragraphs)

Blog: http://blog.f3coalition.org

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:31 pm 
Captain

• Improved roads from the worst in the nation to most improved.
• Left office with a record budget surplus, after inheriting a deficit
• Grew the Arkansas economy at a rate higher than the national average
• Sponsored the largest broad-based tax cut in Arkansas history
• Cut the state welfare rolls in half
• Created the innovative health-care program for Arkansas children called ARKids, cutting the number of uninsured children in half.
• Created the innovative Smart Start and Smart Step education programs, which led to markedly improved student test scores
• Created the innovative Smart Core curriculum standards, which led to a massive increase in the number of AP tests taken by high-schoolers.
• Chaired the National Governors’ Association
• Named one of America’s Top 5 Governors by TIME
• Named a “Distinguished Public Health Legislator of the Year” in 2005
• Awared the AARP’s Impact Award in 2006
• Named a top “Doer, Dreamer & Driver” by Government Technology magazine, after leading AR to a top 10 finish in the 2004 Digital States Survey.
• Effectively handled the influx of 75,000 Katrina evacuees

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:08 pm 
** General

Liked: 11
Lots of them in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=2951

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:43 am 
***** General

Education:
Attended, Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary, 1976-1977
BA in Religion, Ouachita Baptist University, 1976.

Professional Experience:
President, Cambridge Communications, Arkansas, 1992-1996
Communications Executive, Cambridge Communications, 1992-1993
President/Founder, KBSC-UHF 24 Hour Channel, 1987-1992
Pastor, Beech Street First Baptist Church, Texarkana, 1986-1992
President/Founder, ACTS 24 Hour Channel, 1983-1986
Pastor, Immanuel Baptist Church, Pine Bluff, 1980-1986.

Political Experience:
Candidate, United States President, 2008
Governor, State of Arkansas, 1996-2007
Appointed Governor, State of Arkansas, July 1996
Lieutenant Governor, State of Arkansas, 1993-1996.

Chairman, National Governors Association.
Chairman, Southern Governors Association
Chairman, Education Commission of the States
President, Council of State Governments
State co-chairman, Delta Regional Authority
Chairman, Southern Regional Education Board
Chairman, Southern Growth Policies Board
Chairman, Southern Technology Council
Chariman, Southern International Trade Council
Chairman, Interstate Oil and Gas Compact Commission.

As former chairman of the Interstate Oil & Gas Compact Commission, Huckabee worked with the 37-state coalition to develop energy policy and lobby Congress on energy matters, such as the regulation of oil and gas production.

Organizations:
Board Member, Ouachita Baptist University Board of Trustees, 1991-present
Chair, Texarkana's Easter Seals Telethon, 1993-1994
President, Arkansas Baptist State Convention, 1989-1991
Cancer Society
Friendship Center
King Cotton Classic Basketball Tournament
Volunteer, Pine Bluff Public Schools
Pine Bluff Chamber of Commerce
Texarkana Chamber of Commerce
United Way.

Books authored by Gov. Mike Huckabee
- Character Makes a Difference: Where I'm from, Where I've been, and What I Believe
- Character Is the Issue: How People With Integrity Can Revolutionize America
- Living Beyond Your Lifetime: How to be Intentional About the Legacy You Leave
- Kids Who Kill: Confronting Our Culture of Violence
- Quit Digging Your Grave with a Knife and Fork: A 12-Stop Program to End Bad Habits and Begin a Healthy Lifestyle
- From Hope to Higher Ground: 12 STOPS to Restoring America's Greatness

Awards
Southern Region Runner of the Year, Road Runners Club of America, 2005
Arkansas Outdoor Hall of Fame, 2000
Athlete of the Week, United States of America Track and Field
American Sportfishing Association's Man of the Year, 1997
Public Officials of the Year, Governing Magazine, 2005
Named one of the five best governors in America, Time Magazine, 2005
American Association of Retired Person’s Impact Award, 2005
Music for Life Award by the National Association of Music Merchant, 2007.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:19 am 
***** General

# He created ARKids First, which provides preventive and primary health insurance to children of low-income, working parents.

# He passed welfare reform measures that helped reduce welfare rolls by almost 50 percent.

# For the first time in state history there was a major, broad-based tax cut.

# He passed education reforms that encourage character education in schools, expand the availability of college scholarships, provide for the creation of charter schools and establish a new approach to workforce education.

# His new initiative "Smart Start" emphasizes reading and math for students from kindergarten through the fourth grade. "Smart Step" is a similar program for those in the fifth through eighth grades.

# He passed the "Property Taxpayers' Bill of Rights."

# He passed legislation that simplifies auto registration, previously a time-consuming mess.

# He completed the largest road construction project in Arkansas history. Truckers magazine which had labeled the roads in AR as one of the worst before now acknowledges AR roads of being the most improved.

# He saw to it that all of the tobacco settlement money was devoted to improving the health of Arkansans.

More: Gov. Huckabee creates a 'tax me more fund' - first in the nation.

Quote:
Arkansas Governor Creates 'Tax Me More Fund'

Steve Brawner, CNSNews.com
Tuesday, Dec. 4, 2001

Responding to criticism from lawmakers and members of the media for his refusal to raise taxes in the face of a budget shortfall, Republican Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee has created the "Tax Me More Fund."

Huckabee opposes raising taxes in spite of a $142 million budget shortfall for this fiscal year, which ends next June 30. The Arkansas Constitution requires a balanced state budget.

The fund – which has an address of P.O. Box 8054, Little Rock, AR 72203 – allows Arkansans to voluntarily contribute to the state's general revenue fund. Huckabee spokesman Jim Harris said the names of the donors and the amounts of their donations would be released to the public once a week.

Harris said the governor was reducing spending rather than raising taxes, "which is what most people do when their income goes down."

Huckabee said he would not donate to the fund and added that no Arkansans he has met outside of the Capitol have asked him to raise taxes.

Let Liberals Put Their Money Where Their Mouth Is

However, "There's nothing in the law that prohibits those who believe they aren't paying enough in taxes from writing a check to the state of Arkansas," Huckabee said. "Maybe this will make them feel better."

Michael Cook, executive director of the Democratic Party of Arkansas, isn't laughing.

"It's just another example of Mike Huckabee's grandstanding, trying to run for re-election rather than solve the problems of the state," Cook said. "People are going to be hurt by these cuts, and here's the governor trying to be cute with his political grandstanding."

The shortfall threatens teacher pay raises of $3,000, which are scheduled to be phased in over two years, although some have already received the first year's $1,000 installment.

Certain to see the ax are Academic Challenge Scholarships, awarded to graduating high school seniors who meet grade-point and citizenship requirements and stay in-state to go to college. Harris said students currently on scholarship would continue receiving funds.

State Sen. Minority Leader John Brown, a Republican, had earlier proposed temporary tax increases to make up for the shortfall. In an interview, he called the "Tax Me More Fund" a campaign tactic and said the governor instead should have encouraged Arkansans to donate directly to universities or community organizations.

He said a case before the Arkansas Supreme Court, in which the state could be ordered to increase school funding, was another reason to consider a temporary tax increase.

"We have an honest difference of opinion, and I would have liked to have had an honest opportunity to talk about some interim strategies," he said.

Huckabee first announced the "Tax Me More Fund" at a convention of the Arkansas Farm Bureau in Little Rock. According to the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette, he responded to laughter in the audience by saying: "I'm as serious as I can be. It's put-up-or-shut-up time.

"Either put up the money, write the check and let us see you're serious, or quit telling me Arkansans want their taxes raised," Huckabee said. "Because, I'm convinced that Arkansans would say today, 'My taxes are high enough.'"

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:23 am 
***** General

DECADE OF DUTY - TRIBUTE TO GOV. HUCKABEE

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:26 am 
***** General

ANOTHER VIDEO: GOV. HUCKABEE HOPE FOR AMERICA

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:52 pm 
***** General

An article from 1996

Quote:
The Dallas Morning News
Huckabee wins praise amid transition
Many say crisis showed new leader's best traits
Michael Haddigan Special Contributor to The Dallas Morning News
Published: July 21, 1996

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. - Republican Mike Huckabee faced his first gubernatorial challenge last week - before he even took the oath of office.
In successfully peeling outgoing Gov. Jim Guy Tucker from the post he decided at the last minute to retain, Mr. Huckabee won praise from partisans on both sides in this overwhelmingly Democratic state. Many gushed that he overcame the challenge with characteristic grace, calm, resolve and sense of duty. "I don't think there's any doubt he's endeared himself to the people of Arkansas by both his compassion and courage," said former Republican Gov. Frank White. "He's one of the finest guys I ever met. Even his opponents like him."
The morning after the showdown, Stanley Russ, D-Conway, president pro tem of the state Senate, praised Mr. Huckabee on a Little Rock radio talk show for "his outstanding abilities and intellect, his boundless energy, his sense of basic fairness, his compassion, his spirituality, his character and, not the least of all, his wit and great sense of humor."
Chaos, anger and desperation attended the birth of the Huckabee administration Monday.
After Gov. Jim Guy Tucker's conviction in a Whitewater fraud and conspiracy trial May 28, he had announced he would resign July 15 to avoid dragging the state through any more of his troubles. Lt. Gov. Huckabee then abandoned a promising U.S. Senate race to serve the last two years of Mr. Tucker's term.
But five minutes before the planned resignation, Mr. Tucker changed his mind, saying he would not resign until a court ruled on his motion for a new trial on grounds that his jury may have been tainted.
As crowds of angry Huckabee supporters and legislators awaiting inauguration milled through the state Capitol, the lieutenant governor huddled with advisers and state legislative leaders to find a solution.
In a statewide television address, Mr. Huckabee said he understood that it was a difficult time for Mr. Tucker, but nonetheless he threatened Mr. Tucker with impeachment. Minutes later, a Tucker aide delivered a handwritten resignation to Arkansas Secretary of State Sharon Priest.
Mr. Huckabee, a Southern Baptist minister, has promised he will mend Arkansas' fissured political landscape. Mr. White, the only other Republican to hold the office since Reconstruction, said Mr. Huckabee is well-suited to the task, although his political experience is limited.
"I think he is a very smart, warm and caring individual. He has the ability to be an exceptional communicator and takes things very seriously," Mr. White, a Little Rock banker, said.
Like his more famous predecessor, President Clinton, Mr. Huckabee was born in Hope, Ark. The southwestern Arkansas community has never been known as a power center, but in recent years it has produced the likes of Bill Clinton, presidential adviser Mack McLarty and now Mike Huckabee.
Mr. Huckabee's story reads like a resume for Mr. Clean.
The son of a fireman and an office manager, Mr. Huckabee began working at a radio station at age 14. He preached his first sermon a year later and at 16 was elected governor of Boys State. As a freshman at Ouachita Baptist University, he married his high school sweetheart, Janet, and stood with her as she successfully battled cancer at age 20.
Mr. Huckabee graduated in 1975, just over two years after entering the school. He attended Southwest Baptist Theological Seminary in Fort Worth and later served as pastor of churches in Pine Bluff and Texarkana.
In 1989, he was elected and served two years as president of the Arkansas Baptist Convention and mediated a hard-fought power struggle between conservatives and moderates.
He ran unsuccessfully against U.S. Sen. Dale Bumpers in 1992. He won the lieutenant governor's post eight months later in a special election. The special election became necessary when Bill Clinton's election to the presidency moved then-Lt. Gov. Tucker into the Governor's Mansion.
Mr. Huckabee earlier this year announced he would run for the seat to be vacated by retiring Democratic U.S. Sen. David Pryor. By the time Mr. Tucker was convicted in May, polls showed Mr. Huckabee leading the Democratic nominee, Attorney General Winston Bryant. Citing a devotion to the needs of the state, the lieutenant governor abandoned the Senate race when Mr. Tucker promised to leave office.
Mr. Huckabee draws support from Northwest Arkansas' religious right and moderate Republicans in the central part of the state.
"Everybody tries to paint him as a right-wing radical because he's a Baptist minister," Mr. White said. "But he's a healer."
Mr. Huckabee credits his successes to a stubborn drive acquired during his modest upbringing.
"I've never been a quitter," he told the Arkansas Times weekly newspaper in a recent interview. "I don't get into something to lose it. Tell me I can't, and I'll prove I can."
During his speech Monday evening, Mr. Huckabee referred to people who had asked him not to quote the Bible so often in his speeches. "The fact is," he said, "that since my childhood that book and its author have been the guiding forces in my life. And it would be much easier for me to give up being governor than it would be to give up taking the counsel that I have had from God and his Word."
Never chummy with Mr. Huckabee, Mr. Tucker remained distant from the Republican transition. Over the final weeks of his
administration, Mr. Tucker made 280 appointments, including 174 in one day, and spent $54 million in state funds, prompting Republicans to call foul.
But Mr. Huckabee remained silent, apparently in an attempt to avoid alienating the Democratic state Legislature.
Last week's widespread disapproval of Mr. Tucker's surprise move will probably pave a smooth path to good relations with legislators, many of whom were simply relieved to end the resignation crisis.
Political scientist Jay Barth of Hendrix College in Conway, Ark., said Mr. Huckabee will have to scramble to put together a budget proposal in time for legislative hearings in October and the legislative session in January.
Mr. White said Mr. Huckabee probably will move quickly on ending the state sales tax on food and may also act on Democratic proposals to make changes in the state income tax structure.
Mr. Tucker leaves Mr. Huckabee a healthy financial picture. The state ended the fiscal year in June with a $98 million surplus.
But Mr. Huckabee may have difficulty with his own people, Mr. Barth said.
"He'll have to walk a real tightrope," Mr. Barth said. "There will be a desire from some of his core followers that he be aggressive on abortion and school vouchers. He probably realizes he'll make some enemies."
Michael Haddigan is a free-lance writer based in Little Rock.
MICHAEL DALE HUCKABEE
JOB: Governor of Arkansas.
POLITICAL PARTY: Republican.
BIRTHPLACE: Hope, Ark.
EDUCATION: Graduated magna cum laude from Ouachita Baptist University, Arkadelphia, Ark., 1975; attended Southwest Baptist Theological Seminary, Fort Worth.
POLITICAL EXPERIENCE: Elected to a two-year term as president of the Arkansas Baptist Convention, 1989; unsuccessful candidate for U.S. Senate, 1986; won a special election for Arkansas lieutenant governor, 1993; won a 1996 Republican nomination for the U.S. Senate but abandoned the race to become governor July 15 after the felony conviction of Gov. Jim Guy Tucker.
FAMILY: Married 22 years to Janet McCain Huckabee; three children, John Mark, 19, David, 15, and Sarah, 12