Hucks Army - Faith. Family. Freedom. [Grassroots] JOIN HUCKS ARMY | GET INVOLVED | FUNDRAISING | LINKS | LEADERSHIP | ABOUT
It is currently Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:27 am 
***** General

Liked: 66
After reading Quo's topic about privacy, do you think that it would be a better idea to move the Introductions Thread into the Member Only Forum?

Do we want those who might not have good intentions to be privy to that information? Or would doing this severely limit the intentions of the Introductions thread of promoting community? Is there a way that only those who have a user name can see it? (ie not in the MOF, but still not available to visitors)

Maybe we should put a bolded disclaimer in the Introductions instructions, although this is already there:
Quote:
Please do not feel obligated to answer all of these topics, but use them as a starting point. There is no pressure to bare your soul, so share what you feel comfortable sharing.

Is there a need to amend it? Or is it all much ado about nothing?

Sorry for all the questions. :lol:

--Attention Guests--
Join the Discussion!
Click the graphic to join!

:army

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:30 am 
***** General

Liked: 215
We do have the ability to limit visibility of the Introduction to just members, which I think is the best thing to do. The MOF is really for trusted members so it will always be a smaller set of people and it seems to me that the point of the introductions is to get to know people early on as part of the process of determining whether someone is trustworthy (among other purposes).

Also, speaking of visibility, we can also set permissions for bots, so that probably should have some review to make sure we limit what is accessible to those search engine data gatherers.

If others agree to limit the Introductions forum to members only, I'll make that change.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:14 am 
***** General

Liked: 66
Thanks Ken. I wasn't sure if we could just restrict access to members, which I think is the better way to go. Like you said, the MOF would significantly reduce who could see it and it really wouldn't be relevant then.

But I would suggest, if others agree, that we grant access to all members (no prerequisite number of posts), and have no access for guests or bots.

--Attention Guests--
Join the Discussion!
Click the graphic to join!

:army

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:33 am 
***** General

Liked: 215
Ok, I made the Introductions category and the forums under it for Members Only (which includes the Introductions forum, Community Center, Faith & Values). I also removed bot access to a number of forums that they should not have had access to.