Hucks Army - Faith. Family. Freedom. [Grassroots] JOIN HUCKS ARMY | GET INVOLVED | FUNDRAISING | LINKS | LEADERSHIP | ABOUT
It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 968 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49  Next
 Post subject: Re: User Watch List
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:18 pm 
***** General

Liked: 215
FirstCoastTerp wrote:
sorry I meant to copy here the video that Chris posted.... it was from The View today talking about Marianne Gingrich's allegations... honestly I didn't get a chance to view it so I don't have an opinion on it but enough voices spoke out about that I thought it best to remove it for at least the short term

really this has been simmering and there were some feisty posts last night because some think this has become Santorum's Army.. that's one of the reasons I posted a poll on who people would vote for now and so far there are more Gingrich supporters than Santorum

Given the way people responded, taking it down was probably the right call. No need to put it back up. I know part of the frustration was the fact that it started on its own when you open the page (which I think is just a glitch with ABC videos), so no need to embed it here either. Here's a link for those who'd like to view it:

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/video/vie ... s-15394260

I definitely didn't expect the responses the video got. My intent wasn't to stir up trouble, but simply to make a point about the way in which the "new" "news" about Newt (which really isn't news) may be received by those who don't know a whole lot about Newt's past. I thought the responses by the audience in the video demonstrated my point. That's all. I thought I explained that in my post.

If any of you think I went too far in what I posted, please don't hesitate to let me know (you can even do it by PM if you'd prefer to do it that way). I'll post something in the original thread here in a bit. I'm just taking some time to weigh how I should approach it.

Thanks, and sorry to be such a rabble rouser tonight! :oops:

ATTENTION GUESTS: Thanks for checking out our Discussion Forum. Before you go, please take a minute to click on the image below and get registered to join the discussion. You'll enjoy all the perks, such as being able to track which posts you've read already. It will also allow us to contact you with important news and information. Plus, we'd just love to hear what you have to say!

MEMBERS: Want to put the "Get Registered" image in your signature? Learn how here.

______________________Image______________________

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:31 pm 
***** General

Liked: 653
cschande wrote:
[

Thanks, and sorry to be such a rabble rouser tonight! :oops:

Chris, I don't think some of the folks can see the point you are trying to make (which is valid - there is only one "good" answer to how many houses or wives in American politics. After that you are just explaining and the longer you have to explain, and the more you have to explain, the more votes you risk losing. Newt will have to do alot of explaining between now and November should he be the nominee. It is naive to think otherwise.)

"As for us, our days of combat are over. Our swords are rust. Our guns will thunder no more. The vultures that once wheeled over our heads must be buried with their prey. Whatever of glory must be won in the council or the closet, never again in the field. I do not repine. We have shared the incommunicable experience of war; we have felt, we still feel, the passion of life to its top."

Oliver Wendell Holmes

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:19 pm 
***** General

I think a moderator (not myself or Chris) needs to speak again with goalieman.

His attitude still says, "spoilin for a fight"

viewtopic.php?f=181&t=26239

"As for us, our days of combat are over. Our swords are rust. Our guns will thunder no more. The vultures that once wheeled over our heads must be buried with their prey. Whatever of glory must be won in the council or the closet, never again in the field. I do not repine. We have shared the incommunicable experience of war; we have felt, we still feel, the passion of life to its top."

Oliver Wendell Holmes

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:27 pm 
***** General

Southern Doc wrote:

His attitude still says, "spoilin for a fight"

And again:

viewtopic.php?f=181&t=26216&start=60

Oliver Wendell Holmes

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:33 pm 
***** General

Southern Doc wrote:

His attitude is still says, "spoilin for a fight"

Ahh, come on Southern Doc, lemme at 'em, lemme at 'em!

Haha.

In all seriousness, though, I definitely shouldn't be the one to do it. I think we basically have to decide whether we want to be a forum where posters who do not support Newt and who have concerns about what his rise means to the credibility of what I'll call the "family values movement" can still come and openly discuss and share their feelings and monitor how this all is playing out in the media and in the general public from that perspective. If we are going to be a forum where that kind of discussion is allowed, goalieman may not be able to continue to post here, because he just doesn't seem to be able to do it without trying to start a fight. The other Newt supporters can start to wear on my nerves at times (do we really need a separate thread for every endorsement Newt picks up?), but I don't think they're contributing to the divisiveness here the way goalieman has been lately.

I'll admit he's gotten to me a couple of times and I've said things I've regretted (I've gone back and edited my own posts multiple times to tamp down the snark in my responses to him). That much is on me. But I've bit my tongue far more times than I've lashed out, and I have started to wonder what effect his posts have had on the overall environment here, and whether it's worth allowing him to keep posting.

At this point another warning is probably best, as SD suggested. But I'm personally beginning to feel less and less forgiving (though, as someone who's criticized Newt's past openly here, I guess that's just par for the course?). :lol:

ATTENTION GUESTS: Thanks for checking out our Discussion Forum. Before you go, please take a minute to click on the image below and get registered to join the discussion. You'll enjoy all the perks, such as being able to track which posts you've read already. It will also allow us to contact you with important news and information. Plus, we'd just love to hear what you have to say!

MEMBERS: Want to put the "Get Registered" image in your signature? Learn how here.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:04 pm 
***** General

After the following from goalieman I sent a warning: Cshandle, if we took all your anti-Newt posts and gathered them together, we could surpass War and Peace in page length (only a slight exagerration). You've done more to fuel the fire around here than anyone else. As a board moderator, you ought to do better than that.

Warning: Please leave the task of moderating to the moderators. If you have an issue with any poster please take it to them by PM or to a moderator.

Oliver Wendell Holmes

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:10 pm 
***** General

Southern Doc wrote:
After the following from goalieman I sent a warning: Cshandle, if we took all your anti-Newt posts and gathered them together, we could surpass War and Peace in page length (only a slight exagerration). You've done more to fuel the fire around here than anyone else. As a board moderator, you ought to do better than that.

Warning: Please leave the task of moderating to the moderators. If you have an issue with any poster please take it to them by PM or to a moderator.

Sounds good, SD. It looks like we're the only mods online right now. Given our past disagreements with goalieman, that may be like leaving the fox to guard the hen house, but I have no doubt that you, at least, are up to the task!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:39 pm 
***** General

I'm back. If you would like me to address this, let me get caught up.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:26 pm 
***** General

Several of us have tried with goalieman to no avail. I think that we need to have take a break. I'm thinking through the Florida election on 1/31. Thoughts?

I also think that all of us need to stop trying to persuade anyone. After a certain point it should be obvious that a person will not change their mind so if they post the same things, why not ignore it? It's one thing to have some back and forth, but it seems to me that we are going round and round on some of these discussions and getting nowhere with them.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:40 pm 
***** General

well, for now I have cleaned up those two threads a bit by removing posts where comments were directed to a specific individual (i.e. primarly Chris and goalieman)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:45 pm 
***** General

FirstCoastTerp wrote:
Several of us have tried with goalieman to no avail. I think that we need to have take a break. I'm thinking through the Florida election on 1/31. Thoughts?

I also think that all of us need to stop trying to persuade anyone. After a certain point it should be obvious that a person will not change their mind so if they post the same things, why not ignore it? It's one thing to have some back and forth, but it seems to me that we are going round and round on some of these discussions and getting nowhere with them.

I've cut down on my responses to goalieman, and I'll probably do so even more going forward if he's allowed to continue posting here. I do think there are several posters here (myself, SD, Miserere, QVA, and a few others) who have concerns about Newt's candidacy and would like to be able to discuss those concerns and how we see them playing out among ourselves at the very least. We can make more of a concerted effort not to direct them at Newt's supporters (I'll definitely do my best to do that), but even when our comments haven't been directed at them we've gotten them shoved back at us (mainly by goalieman), which has led to some of the discussions we've had. Maybe if we give goalieman some time off things will settle down without him here. I think we'd get a better sense of how well Newt and Santorum supporters can get along without his comments.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:50 pm 
***** General

cschande wrote:
Maybe if we give goalieman some time off things will settle down without him here. I think we'd get a better sense of how well Newt and Santorum supporters can get along without his comments.
yeah, I agree.. I think we should allow a bit of time for other mods to chime, so I am going to leave it as is for tonight and check on it tomorrow

I do think we need to just delete posts where someone like goalieman writes "well, here's another anti-Newt thread"... no response, just delete it

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:53 pm 
***** General

FirstCoastTerp wrote:

I think that would be appropriate. He layed out for months and only came back in gunning in the Newt/Santorum split without really commenting on anything else or bringing in forum items.

Oliver Wendell Holmes

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:37 am 
***** General

FirstCoastTerp wrote:
cschande wrote:
Maybe if we give goalieman some time off things will settle down without him here. I think we'd get a better sense of how well Newt and Santorum supporters can get along without his comments.
yeah, I agree.. I think we should allow a bit of time for other mods to chime, so I am going to leave it as is for tonight and check on it tomorrow

I do think we need to just delete posts where someone like goalieman writes "well, here's another anti-Newt thread"... no response, just delete it

For some reason I hadn't even thought about just deleting these posts, but I think that's a good approach.

I'm also with you and SD in supporting your "break til after Florida" approach, but I also think it'd be good to hear from a couple other mods first.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:47 pm 
***** General

Ok, I have banned goalieman until 2/1/12.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:48 pm 
***** General

FirstCoastTerp wrote:
Ok, I have banned goalieman until 2/1/12.

Were you able to let him know why he was being banned?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:24 pm 
***** General

I posted that it was for violation of forums rules 5 & 9

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:26 pm 
***** General

FirstCoastTerp wrote:
I posted that it was for violation of forums rules 5 & 9

Thanks

Oliver Wendell Holmes

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:08 am 
***** General

I started to dig around a little to verify a gut sense and thought I'd share with yall to ask if a word might be in order.

ibelieve posted 33 times back in 2007-8 and had not posted since when she reentered Jan 12, 2012 and has posted 55 times since then exclusively on Newt threads.

I know we don't have an official candidate, and I don't want to shut down talking about the obvious current state of the race, but it seems that ibelieve (and perhaps a couple others) are really just here to recruit which would violate guidelines. When some of our old hands became active in campaigns they bowed out and though we've got regular veteran posters who support different candidates they seem to be handling their disagreements pretty well. That's likely cause we have long relationships by this point and have shared much and leaned on each other including in prayer.

It seems to me that the real friction is coming from the long AWOL group who have jumped back into the forum full-throated with elbows and knees aflyin mostly for Newt.

I'm not sure what to do except to caution against just advocating and cheerleading for a single candidate and not actually bringing anything else on other topics to the forum.

Ideas?

Oliver Wendell Holmes

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:58 am 
***** General

yeah, it's annoying but I think as long as they aren't breaking any of our forum rules we should let it go

Post by FirstCoastTerp Liked by: GrannyT

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 968 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49  Next