Hucks Army - Faith. Family. Freedom. [Grassroots] JOIN HUCKS ARMY | GET INVOLVED | FUNDRAISING | LINKS | LEADERSHIP | ABOUT
It is currently Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:21 pm 
***** General

Liked: 169
Several people have expressed a desire to learn about Facebook and Twitter. I'd like to see all of Mike's supporters as up-to-date as possible. Does anyone with solid knowledge / skills have the time to post a tutorial for newbies here? One with screen shots would be great -- a picture's worth 1,000 words.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:31 am 
Major General

Liked: 23
I too would appreciate this very much. My concern has been for security in these two programs but guess that is no longer a problem. Please help !

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:19 pm 
***** General

Liked: 169
Need help on Facebook or Twitter? Read on!

I'm copying this post from another discussion thread, about how we ought to have a HucksArmy "Boot Camp" to train Mike's foot soldiers in things like twitter and Facebook. If that would interest you, please find that discussion thread and express your interest.

I'm not an expert at all, and can relate to feeling "left behind" by all the newer technology.

Here are some VERY BASIC Answers from a fellow Newbie (novice) to your questions about Twitter and Facebook (and everyone, please feel free to post corrections if I've gotten something wrong here!):

Facebook
Facebook is a way to connect with friends, family, and to network with businesspeople (or really with anyone).

Each person, group, or business has its own Facebook "page." It is like your own personal web page.

The basic interactions consist mainly of people posting their "status." That simply means, what are you doing right now, thinking about, excited about, planning for dinner, a quote, a poem, anything at all. The length of a "status update" is limited to a certain number of characters (I think 140).

This status shows up on your "wall," which is like the front page of your Facebook page.

Then people can respond to your status...and you can respond to theirs. Once you get connected with a lot of folks, you can easily spend HOURS responding to everyone you meet and are connected with. This calls for self-control! Not for nothing are there jokes about being a Facebook addict!

Generally speaking, if you want people to be connected with you, and able to see your Facebook page and write on it, you have to give permission. This is called becoming a "Friend" (even if they're not a friend, but rather family or total stranger!). Once you have "friended" someone, it's considered very rude to "unfriend" them.

A great way to use FB for Mike Huckabee is to make most of your posts fun, friendly, and personal... so people will want to read them...and then tuck in the occasional mention of something you like about Mike, or what he's doing lately. Always keep it positive. Don't tear down other candidates.

You can also post pictures of anything you want, and people can comment on them; and you can post "links" (website addresses) for other places on the Internet that you want people to see.

Facebook creates a "news feed" consisting of various friends' status updates. You can see this by clicking where it says "Home."

There are two ways to view the "News Feed." One way is called "Chronological." If you choose this option, it will show every single status update from every one of your friends. It can be overwhelming and tedious, especially if you have lots of friends.

The other way (I forget what it's called) shows you the status updates that it THINKS you would be most interested in. One of the things it considers, when deciding whose updates to show you, is that Facebook's program keeps track of which pages you visit the most, and then tailors its "news feed" of status updates that it sends you. So, if you visit, read, and respond to your Aunt Betty's page most often, then it will send you HER status updates more often. So if you want people to hear about Mike Huckabee, try to make your page one that folks will want to visit often.

Also, do NOT post every little thing you're doing! It's a common joke among Facebook fans that the new people post waaay too much. No one wants to know that you are reading the newspaper, or making coffee, that it's raining, or that your precious little Johnny just scored another home run. Less is more!

Also on FB, on your second page where it says "Info," that is where you can put a TON of stuff about yourself, your likes, your hobbies, your job, your educational background, famous quotes, favorite books, and your favorite POLITICIAN! :-)

Facebook is a great way to link up and network with fellow Huckabee fans from all over the world!

Some people try to feel important by collecting as many "friends" as they can, even total strangers. Never feel that you must "friend" someone just because they asked. You can "ignore" them.

Make sure you set your privacy settings so that only "Friends" can see your Wall (front page) and write comments on it.

Political leaders and celebrities use their FB page to communicate with their followers. they set it so that everyone can see their pages, but only "Friends" can comment on them. Sarah Palin has 200,000 FB "friends." Mike has fewer. I'd like to see that change!

It's also a fun way to re-connect with old school friends from childhood.

NOTE: If you have a FB page, it is important that you have a very secure password, and that you pay careful attention to the privacy settings.

Twitter
Twitter is basically a fast, chopped-down version of Facebook but without the pages, pictures, or the responses...all it consists of is people's status updates. These updates are called "Tweets" -- picture a bunch of birds, perched along a telephone wire, chirping at each other. They are strictly limited to 140 characters in length, so writing things in a highly efficient way becomes something of an art form!

To post on Twitter, you must register for a Twitter account. It is free. Go to Twitter.com and sign up.

When someone posts a "Tweet" on Twitter, other people can read it on Twitter.com Most people who post on Twitter also will try to get people to go there and read their Tweets.

The way to let people know they can go there is with the "@" sign. For instance, on Facebook, sometimes people will post a status that says:
Quote:
@Huck Prolife leaders are appalled at Obama

What this means is that you go to Twitter.com and search for tweets from a member named "Huck," and you'll find that Tweet about Obama.

When you see a Tweet that you like, you can copy it and post it as your own Tweet. (Kind of like forwarding an e-mail.) That's called "re-tweeting," and you start your post like this:

Quote:
RT@Angsty Say what you mean, but don't say it mean.

What that means is you're re-tweeting something that was originally posted by the person whose Twitter name is "Angsty."

You can sign up to "follow" someone on Twitter. That means you want their Tweets to be sent to you automatically when you log on to Twitter... or, sent to your e-mail account... OR TO YOUR CELL PHONE. It's considered a big deal if you have a lot of followers who want your updates.

You can search in Twitter for items of interest on certain topics. If you want people to find your Tweet about a specific topic, you put a # sign in front of the key word. Example:
Quote:
@AUL Americans United for Life says #abortion causes #breast cancer.

What this means is that a post copied from AUL says abortion causes... etc. This way, anyone who is searching Twitter.com for posts on abortion, will pull up this Tweet...as well as anything about breast cancer.

What made Twitter so important in Election 2008 is that it's so stinkin' fast. Millions of people got news about current events, about Obama, McCain, Palin, and Huckabee, in seconds. Information travels at lightning speed. Campaign events can be thrown together in a few hours.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:58 pm 
Site Admin

Liked: 782
So glad to see we have now a tutorials forum here. Thanks so much!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:11 pm 
Brigadier Geneal

E-Stampede has some great video tutorials on how to use facebook, twitter, linkedin, podcasts and other social media.
TechRepublican is a great blog which offers tips on all kinds of online grassroots political activities

Follow me on Twitter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:25 pm 
Lieutenant General

Liked: 1
Joshua:

Thanks so much for the link. I set up a Facebook account following the site's instructions and now can't access anything including my supposed "account." As JustGrace posted in another web, several of us went through school before computers were anything but a provinance of those with thick glasses and pocket protectors.

I think we could attract many retired people if we could get the word out we were friendly to the "technically challenged." These are the people with the most time to spend in the trenches communicating and co-ordinating.

I am trying to go through my tons of print-outs from the Obama websites during the campaign detailing their training procedures, but I do remember they relied on retirees and students for a great deal of their day-to-day administration.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:27 pm 
Brigadier Geneal

Send me a PM, and i'll see what I can do to help you get access to your facebook account.

Follow me on Twitter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:14 am 
***** General

Liked: 211
I've got a question. Twitter used to use tiny urls when you would put a link in the tweet but now they don't and the link is too long for the tweet. I do see there is another way to shorten links on tweets now. How do you do this because I don't think twitter actually does it for us anymore.

TEAM HUCK IOWA
http://www.facebook.com/TeamHuckIowa

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:47 am 
Lieutenant Colonel

Liked: 8
Iowans Rock wrote:
I've got a question. Twitter used to use tiny urls when you would put a link in the tweet but now they don't and the link is too long for the tweet. I do see there is another way to shorten links on tweets now. How do you do this because I don't think twitter actually does it for us anymore.

Feel free to use another URL shortening service such as http://www.TinyURL.com or http://www.Bit.ly. Shorten the URL on the respective shortening service Web site and then insert into your Tweet.

Also, many Twitter apps have URL shortening services built in such as TweetDeck.

Last comment, if you want to get advanced, Bit.ly tracks how many folks have clicked the link you've supplied telling you how popular the link was and giving you a rough idea of your read-to-click conversion rate.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:40 am 
Site Admin

Liked: 782
agrandy wrote:
Iowans Rock wrote:

Feel free to use another URL shortening service such as http://www.TinyURL.com or http://www.Bit.ly. Shorten the URL on the respective shortening service Web site and then insert into your Tweet.

Also, many Twitter apps have URL shortening services built in such as TweetDeck.

Last comment, if you want to get advanced, Bit.ly tracks how many folks have clicked the link you've supplied telling you how popular the link was and giving you a rough idea of your read-to-click conversion rate.

Thanks, agrandy. There are so many ways we can communicate now. We appreciate the helps on Twitter.

I am really trying to learn. Yesterday I put Huckabee up as a favorite on my Facebook and I hope you all have done so also. I try to also add video links, etc. (My children realize this is a major learning curve for Mom :wink: )

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:47 pm 
***** General

Liked: 183
I want to encourage each of you to get a Twitter account and use it regularly to build followers and promote the gov through this tool.

PLEASE add this hashtag on all your tweets:

#huck12

We have a handful of supporters using it, but need more to catch on!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:40 pm 
***** General

Liked: 183
Just came across this tutorial done by Clayton Morris from Fox News:

http://video.foxnews.com/v/4275938/twitter-in-two/