Hucks Army - Faith. Family. Freedom. [Grassroots] JOIN HUCKS ARMY | GET INVOLVED | FUNDRAISING | LINKS | LEADERSHIP | ABOUT
It is currently Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: New PPP Poll out
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:31 pm 
***** General

Liked: 32
In my opinion, all of the issues purportedly regarding Huckabee pale in the face of Gingrich's historical background, Palin's two-year governor stint, Romney's Mass Care, etc. etc. -- and the polls seems to bear me out right now.

I suggest that we take Huckabee at his word right now and focus on 2010. As for 2012, assuming that everyone on this board would want Huckabee to run and would support him, I do not think we should be seeking -- or suggesting -- alternatives until he has taken himself out.

Just my opinion.

P.S. One more opinion: There isn't anyone else!! If Huckabee does not run, expect a second Obama term. Everyone seems to think we have a wealth of talent -- we don't. Huckabee is the only viable candidate against Obama.

P.P.S. Huckabee knows there is no one else -- neither someone who he could wrap himself around and/or is electable. That factor -- plus Obama's total ineptness -- is what is driving Huckabee toward his ultimate decision. He is looking for signs -- he has them everywhere -- in the potential candidates, and in Obama's actions.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:18 pm 
***** General

Liked: 653
Quote:
P.S. One more opinion: There is nobody else!! If Huckabee does not run, expect a second Obama term. Everyone seems to think we have a wealth of talent -- we don't. Huckabee is the only viable candidate against Obama.

I agree that the "bench" does'nt look too strong. Candidates do matter as do campaigns. But cycles are extremely (some argue completely) influential.

A President can always implode and be vulnerable to virtually any challenge (Tyler, Cleveland (First), LBJ, Carter).

Obama's hope is economic recovery. Increasingly it is his only hope as his less attractive personality traits have greatly decreased his charm. Economic recovery will validate his high-handedness, arrogance, and partisanship and he will be re-elected. Anything less than full recovery will make the election "about him". An incumbent election is almost always a referendum on the sitting President. A blank slate opponent has a very good chance against an unpopular incumbent (that's largely how Carter, Clinton, and Obama won). Incumbency is WAY over-rated as an advantage in Presidential politics.

Huck is the GOP best choice to defeat Obama by a long shot, but several Governors could do it (Daniels, McDonnel, Hoeven [even Jeb Bush]); and an "Presidential looking" legislator could also take it if they keep their feet and debate well (Pence, Thune).

"As for us, our days of combat are over. Our swords are rust. Our guns will thunder no more. The vultures that once wheeled over our heads must be buried with their prey. Whatever of glory must be won in the council or the closet, never again in the field. I do not repine. We have shared the incommunicable experience of war; we have felt, we still feel, the passion of life to its top."

Oliver Wendell Holmes

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:32 am 
***** General

Liked: 190
I must admit, Mike Pence is the only other person besides Huckabee that I have found appealing as a possible candidate. Could NEVER come close to Huck, but he reminds of him in all the important ways. Do I think he could ever win the nomination this next time out? No....could he take some support from Gov. Huckabee...or Romney? Yes.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:25 am 
Private

Liked: 0
[quote="Wendero"]If Huckabee runs, why would any conservative want to run as well? Why would they want to split the vote? That doesn't sound like good judgment to me.

Why indeed! From where I sit (far far away from where the candidates stand) it appears obvious that personal ambition can take over and trump good judgement and true concern for the nation (e.g. Sarah Palin's support for Fiorina.)