Hucks Army - Faith. Family. Freedom. [Grassroots] JOIN HUCKS ARMY | GET INVOLVED | FUNDRAISING | LINKS | LEADERSHIP | ABOUT
It is currently Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:27 pm 
Major General

Liked: 12
Quote:
Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Huckabee's the best bet for now

My main thought on the Republican Presidential field as 2011 begins is that the party needs someone outside the current top 4 of Mitt Romney, Mike Huckabee, Sarah Palin, and Newt Gingrich to come out of the pack and win the nomination. Despite the fact that Barack Obama continues to be relatively unpopular he leads all of these folks in our national polling and he leads them in the individual swing states we've polled- places like Ohio, Florida, and Virginia- as well. If he's beating them right now, two months removed from his party getting annihilated at the polls in the midterm election, then he's really going to be knocking them out of the park if his numbers ever see any real improvement- and if I had to put money on it I'd say they will eventually.

Romney, Huckabee, Palin, and Gingrich's problem isn't that they're unknown. They've all been in the national spotlight before and they all had at least 75% name recognition on our most recent national poll. Their problem is that folks do know them- and they don't like them. Once that bad impression's been made it's hard to make a different one.

So the GOP's going to be best served by a fresh face. Still the odds are better than not for now that one of these folks will be the Republican nominee- and if it is one of them there's no doubt in my mind that the best one for the GOP's prospects next year would be Mike Huckabee.

Why Huckabee's better than Gingrich and Palin. You could answer this question in one simple word: electability. In nine swing states where we've polled since November (Virginia, Montana, North Carolina, Missouri, Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio, Wisconsin, and Florida) Huckabee has trailed Obama by an average of 2 points. In those same places Gingrich has trailed by an average of 7 points and Palin by an average of 11 points. Huckabee is massively more viable in a general election than these two. That's at least partially because he has the most appeal to Democrats of the Republican front runners.

Why Huckabee's better than Romney. Romney has actually done a little better than Huckabee in these early swing state polls, trailing Obama by an average of just 1 point. In addition Romney has shown the most appeal to independents so far of the top Republicans. There's a large difference in how much enthusiasm there is for Huckabee and Romney with the GOP base though. 73% of conservative Republicans have a favorable opinion of Huckabee, putting him just behind Palin's 77%, and well ahead of Romney's 58%. For all the hand wringing of the last two years you better believe Democrats are going to be excited about going out to reelect Barack Obama in 2012. Republicans need to be able to match that and they're going to need a candidate they're enthusiastic about to make that happen- for now Huckabee fits the bill on that front and Romney doesn't.

Huckabee's the only one of the top Republicans who has the combination of electability and base appeal it's going to take to beat Barack Obama. Romney has the electability but not the base appeal, Palin has the base appeal but not the electability, and Gingrich sort of falls in the middle on both counts. A lot will change over the course of 2011 but at least based on the information we have so far Huckabee looks like the GOP's best bet.
Posted by Tom Jensen at 12:10 PM

http://publicpolicypolling.blogspot.com ... r-now.html

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:43 pm 
General

Liked: 71
My thoughts exactly. So in essence, Huckabee is your front runner.
:like

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:58 pm 

Liked: 152
I agree with Tom Jensen - and have been trying to say much of the same things.

Palin excites the base - but she would also get enough Democrats to get out the vote against her because they hate her so much. Romney doesn't excite the base - or anyone else - except his few (usually Mormon) staunch supporters. Huckabee has what it takes to excite the base plus enough Democrats "like him" that they won't work as hard to defeat him (except of course the staunch left wing SoLibs). A lot of the Democrats would be willing to vote for Huckabee - or not bother going to the polls to vote against Huckabee - if there isn't a highly contested local race.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:30 pm 
***** General

Liked: 32
Now, how long have we all been saying this: electability....non-electability....likeability.....does best across the board...polls very well....

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:06 am 
***** General

Liked: 190
I don't agree with him that people know of these 4 but no one likes them. I think Governor Huckabee is very well liked, even by those who would not vote for him. If Governor Huckabee were elected president there are very few people who would be greatly upset over it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:18 am 
Major

Liked: 34
nrobyar wrote:
I don't agree with him that people know of these 4 but no one likes them. I think Governor Huckabee is very well liked, even by those who would not vote for him. If Governor Huckabee were elected president there are very few people who would be greatly upset over it.

Those few people being the establishment.