Hucks Army - Faith. Family. Freedom. [Grassroots] JOIN HUCKS ARMY | GET INVOLVED | FUNDRAISING | LINKS | LEADERSHIP | ABOUT
It is currently Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:23 pm 
***** General

Liked: 31
Big problem w/ this if it is truely where G.H. stands on the topic of Common Core.....
http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government ... -Standards

Some of the nation’s top Common Core experts are weighing in on former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee’s recommendation to the creators of the initiative to “rebrand it, refocus it, but don’t retreat.”
As Breitbart News reported on February 1st, Huckabee urged members of the Council of Chief State School Officers (CCSSO), one of the groups that “created” the Common Core State Standards, to get rid of the “Common Core” name because it had become “toxic.”

Education Week’s Andrew Ujifusa observed last November that Huckabee served as the conference’s keynote speaker.

“Rebrand it, refocus it, but don’t retreat,” Huckabee told CCSSO members.

Kansas Commissioner of Education Dr. Diane DeBacker, who attended the CCSSO meeting, tweeted out the following:

In December, however, Huckabee told his Fox News audience, “I don’t support what Common Core has become in many states or school districts.”

“Look, I’m dead set against the federal government creating a uniform curriculum for any subject,” Huckabee said. “I oppose the collection of personal data on students that would identify them and then track them, and certainly any effort to give that personal information to the federal government.”

In fact, Huckabee’s “rebranding” of Common Core, without eliminating the standards, is a trend in the states.

As Breitbart News reported, Gov. Jan Brewer (R-AZ) issued an executive order requiring that the Common Core standards adopted by her state in 2010 now be referred to as “Arizona’s College and Career Ready Standards.”

In Iowa, the Common Core standards are now referred to as “The Iowa Core,” and in Florida, some state officials hope to replace the words “Common Core” with “Next Generation Sunshine State” Standards.

“I'm surprised Governor Huckabee wants to change the label on the bottle of Arsenic to Sweetwater, but still give the Arsenic to all the nation's children,” Common Core expert Dr. Sandra Stotsky told Breitbart News. “A skunk by any other name still smells.”

Stotsky, who was asked to be a member of the Common Core Validation Committee, added, “I would hope that Governor Huckabee comes to realize that all children need more rigorous mathematics standards, especially minority children, and that Common Core' s high school mathematics standards were designed to dumb everyone down because its designers don't think any minority children are capable of a STEM career.”

In a statement to Breitbart News, Hillsdale College Professor Dr. Terrence Moore, author of The Story-Killers: A Common-Sense Case Against the Common Core, said, “Governor Huckabee's position is that of someone who has not made the effort to understand what the Common Core really is or what a truly liberal education really is.”

“Perhaps he, too, is a victim of soundbites and talking points and slick campaigning,” Moore added. “Nonetheless, we expect more insight from our leaders, especially from someone who has been responsible for an entire state's education.”

Similarly, Dr. Anne Hendershott, sociology professor at Franciscan University, told Breitbart News, “When Governor Huckabee says that he does not ‘support what the Common Core has become in many states and school districts,’ I have to wonder what he thought would happen when he and the other governors invited the Federal Government into their school districts to mandate federal standards.”

Hendershott, who has written extensively in opposition to Catholic dioceses’ adoption of the Common Core standards, added Huckabee “had to know that standards always drive curriculum. He had to know that local school districts would lose control over what they were teaching once the federal government began mandating what students would have to learn.”

“I understand that federal dollars for education is a temptation for even conservative governors,” said Hendershott, “but this deal with the federal government was never going to turn out well for children, teachers, and parents.”

Educator and statistician Dr. Mercedes Schneider, who has compiled one of the most comprehensive websites regarding the Common Core standards, also spoke to Breitbart News about the notion of “rebranding” Common Core.

“That’s what businesses do, they play the game,” said Schneider. “They market their product differently so more people will want to buy it. Huckabee’s so blatant about it, he didn’t even try to couch the words.”

“But social media is blowing the whistle on these Common Core supporters,” Schneider said, adding that more parents and teachers are involved in the grassroots movement against the Common Core initiative.

“Grassroots is the resistance and it is expressing itself in social media,” Schneider said.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:50 am 
***** General

Liked: 225
A hit piece, with no response from Huckabee, based around a random quote with absolutely no context. We've seen this all too often - a media outlet picks out some juicy-sounding tidbit and blows it up, riling everybody up. And then nobody actually listens to what Huckabee said or has written to find out that they actually agree with what he's saying.

Gov Huckabee wrote:
Here’s a sampling of some things people have posted on my FB [Facebook] page lately: “I hear you support Common Core education standards; I’ll never watch your show again;” another: “If you support Common Core, you’ve lost my trust.” Or this, “You need to learn the truth about Common Core.” I guess the person who said he’d never watch my show again won’t hear this and that’s too bad.

Let me cut right to the chase: I don’t support what Common Core has become in many states or school districts. I’m dead set against the federal government creating a uniform curriculum for any subject; I oppose the collection of personal data on students that would identify them and track them and any effort to give that personal information to the federal government.

I am steadfast in my belief that parents should ultimately decide the best venue for their children’s education, whether public schools, private schools, religious schools or home-schools. I believe education is a local or state function — not a federal one. Sadly, the very label Common Core has come to be associated with things I detest, like agenda driven curriculum that indoctrinates instead of educates. I’m convinced that the term Common Core needs to disappear from the lexicon of education policy. It’s a toxic term because it’s come to mean things that most of us can’t stomach, like top-down federal intrusion into the local schools where you live.

But Common Core as it was designed had nothing to do with the federal government. It was conceived and controlled by elected governors and state school chiefs to keep the federal hands from interfering. It only dealt with 2 subjects, math and English, and in those 2 subjects, established only state-initiated standards in those subjects, and intentionally did not write or even suggest curriculum. It set voluntary goals — VOLUNTARY goals — controlled by local school boards.

Unfortunately, the locally controlled and very simple creation of standards in math and English, created so that students would be measured by comparable regardless of geography has been hijacked by those who took the label Common Core and applied it to curriculum, subjects other than math and English, and even unrelated things as personal data collection.

As a result, Common Core as a brand is dead and hopefully the perversions of it will die as well. What I hope does not die is setting higher standards for students, keeping score to see how well they are doing, and having accountability for results. Educational bureaucrats have long fought honest assessments and accountability and have been satisfied with under performing students who were far behind their peers in other states or other countries.
The Wall Street Journal reported this week that schools in the US were performing below those in Vietnam, Lithuania, Russia, and Hungary; that our 15 year olds haven’t seen improvement in over a decade compared to other nations. For those who think I embrace Common Core, I don’t embrace or even want to tolerate what it’s come to mean in too many locations. Yes, it’s been hijacked, and I don’t support the hijackers or the destination, but I don’t blame the airplane for getting hijacked. I just hope we aren’t willing to accept mediocrity as a standard.

Let’s kill the name Common Core and all the nonsense that’s been tacked on to it. But let’s insist that if we continue to spend the most money in education we demand that the end result is achievement. Every Governor should take the wheel and steer his or her state to adopting strict and rigorous standards. Keep it simple; name it what you will. Don’t let anyone corrupt the goals by adding things not part of the goals. Common Core is dead. But common sense shouldn’t be.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:08 pm 
***** General

Just a few notes for anybody who needs to refute " Mike Huckabee is pro-Common Core."

Quote:
Brock Robamney on March 13, 2014 at 11:39 AM wrote:
Why didn’t you mention this quote, hmmm???

“Rebrand it, refocus it, but don’t retreat,” Huckabee reportedly told CCSSO members.

Sounds pretty Marxist to me….

Just the mentioning of the out of context quote does not bring the issue to a close, at least for rational people. This requires thought, not just parroting a sound bite. I know the language can be confounding. We’re talking about 2 different groups of people here. What Huckabee is referring to is the original math and English VOLUNTARY standards. He is against the same nasty stuff in the perverted Common Core as you are. You and he and I are on the same side! He’s not telling the perverted Common Core to rebrand, he’s telling the defenders of the original intent to withdraw from perverted Common Core and everything associated with it, and overcome the corrupted corporate/fed model.

Huckabee has stated that he is against:

* federal government creating a uniform curriculum for any subject

*the collection of personal data on students

*agenda driven curriculum that indoctrinates instead of educates

So logically it follows that if these things are in the perverted Common Core, and Huckabee is against them, then he cannot be pro-Common Core.

The original intent included these things, which are quite innocuous and reasonable/responsible:

*Keep the federals from interfering.

*Did not write or suggest curriculum

*locally controlled, simple standards in math and English, created so that students would be measured comparably regardless of geographical region.

*Completely voluntary goals set by the local school board

When mentioning Huckabee & Common Core, it is helpful to qualify - corrupted Common Core, perverted Common Core, hijacked Common Core. Create that barrier in peoples minds.

Post by christopher.wilkerson has received Likes: 2 justgrace, WhatsNotToLike?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:06 pm 
Site Admin

Liked: 782
Yes, it is unfortunate, but a political reality these days, that the news media and some conservatives are quick to jump on anything Gov. Huckabee says and brand it non-conservative or big government.

And, as Christopher points out, we need to be ready to politely inform people about the truth, that Gov. Huckabee is for Simple Government (his book title says that, meaning local and not federal standards.) That is true in the case of educational standards in states. These were called Common Core by state governments. Since we do have compulsory public education in all states, they cannot escape some method of testing to see if the money is spent well. How are the students doing in math and reading, for instance?

The only arsenic in a bottle is the lying and misrepresentation of the liberal media!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:09 am 
***** General

Liked: 133
Thanks for this, Christopher! Did you write the response to "Robamney," below? It's very well done, and so helpful to have a synopsis of Gov. Huckabee's position.

christopher.wilkerson wrote:
Just a few notes for anybody who needs to refute " Mike Huckabee is pro-Common Core."

Quote:
Brock Robamney on March 13, 2014 at 11:39 AM wrote:
Why didn’t you mention this quote, hmmm???

“Rebrand it, refocus it, but don’t retreat,” Huckabee reportedly told CCSSO members.

Sounds pretty Marxist to me….

Just the mentioning of the out of context quote does not bring the issue to a close, at least for rational people. This requires thought, not just parroting a sound bite. I know the language can be confounding. We’re talking about 2 different groups of people here. What Huckabee is referring to is the original math and English VOLUNTARY standards. He is against the same nasty stuff in the perverted Common Core as you are. You and he and I are on the same side! He’s not telling the perverted Common Core to rebrand, he’s telling the defenders of the original intent to withdraw from perverted Common Core and everything associated with it, and overcome the corrupted corporate/fed model.

Huckabee has stated that he is against:

* federal government creating a uniform curriculum for any subject

*the collection of personal data on students

*agenda driven curriculum that indoctrinates instead of educates

So logically it follows that if these things are in the perverted Common Core, and Huckabee is against them, then he cannot be pro-Common Core.

The original intent included these things, which are quite innocuous and reasonable/responsible:

*Keep the federals from interfering.

*Did not write or suggest curriculum

*locally controlled, simple standards in math and English, created so that students would be measured comparably regardless of geographical region.

*Completely voluntary goals set by the local school board

When mentioning Huckabee & Common Core, it is helpful to qualify - corrupted Common Core, perverted Common Core, hijacked Common Core. Create that barrier in peoples minds.

Post by WhatsNotToLike? Liked by: justgrace

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:44 pm 
***** General

WhatsNotToLike? wrote:
Thanks for this, Christopher! Did you write the response to "Robamney," below? It's very well done, and so helpful to have a synopsis of Gov. Huckabee's position.

Yes, I wrote that over on Hotair. But that's just what I gleaned from Gov. Huckabee's facebook posting. It would be helpful to be able to reference the original plans of the Nat'l Governors Association back when Huckabee was chairman, but I can't find anything like that.