Hucks Army - Faith. Family. Freedom. [Grassroots] JOIN HUCKS ARMY | GET INVOLVED | FUNDRAISING | LINKS | LEADERSHIP | ABOUT
It is currently Sun May 26, 2019 5:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:28 pm 
***** General

Liked: 225
The full title is God, Guns, Grits and Gravy: and the Dad-Gummed Gummint That Wants to Take Them –Expected release date January 13, 2015.

Washington Examiner wrote:
Mike Huckabee's 2016 battle cry

The southerner’s book will be appropriately titled “God, Guns, Grits and Gravy,” publisher St Martin’s Press told Secrets. It will be released in the winter of 2015, timed for a Republican primary run in 2016.
St. Martins said that Huckabee’s book will be “about America as it used to be, as it is today, and as it might become again.”

The signing of Huckabee was big coup for St. Martin's as Huckabee has proven to be a very popular author. They said that Frank Breeden of Premiere Authors negotiated the sale with St. Martin's Editor-in-Chief George Witte.

From St. Martins:

Quote:
In the book, Huckabee will range across subjects including the erosion of public education, government intrusion on personal freedoms, religion and its changing place in American life, the new lows of popular culture in a society with the wrong heroes, and the consequences of pressuring young children to mature and excel. Addressing today’s divided nation, Huckabee will draw from his travels as a presidential candidate to present average, small-town American people and their optimistic resilience in the face of hard times; their stories, says Huckabee, “will inspire readers to think about their own values and rediscover what makes America great.”

Post by christopher.wilkerson Liked by: justgrace
 Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:05 am 
Lieutenant General

Liked: 58
Wow! This is big news.

I've been undecided on whether or not I think Huckabee is running. Really, I've tried not to think too much about it - the level of emotional involvement I had the last time around was quite frankly not healthy (I was sad for weeks after Huckabee announced he wouldn't run in 2012).

But now I really can't stop myself from thinking that he is going to run.

However, from everything I've heard about the book so far - not a whole lot admittedly - his "strategy" seems a bit... interesting. The title itself is very "southern" - especially the grits and gravy :P

My point is Huckabee really seems to be "doubling down" on his southerness. Huckabee has never been ashamed to be a southerner and there is no reason why he should be, but I wonder if this is the right strategy? Shouldn't he be emphasizing that he isn't JUST a southern evangelical who loves God & Guns? Isn't that what he has always said he was so frustrated about - that the media always portrayed him as the "religious candidate" and never talking about his achievements as a governor?

However, the title could be misleading of course and be intended to "get attention". I've liked all of Huckabee's books so far and I think I'm going to like this one too. I'm just a bit puzzled what the thinking is behind the title.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:17 pm 
***** General

The title, by the way, is a line Huckabee rolled out on election night coverage on Fox News to describe the Florida Panhandle, where he has a beach home — "all God, guns, grits and gravy."

I think the strategy of the book itself is not so much the title or even it's contents. I think it's more about going on a book tour (visiting all the right swing states and primary state localities), and doing the media rounds to get exposure. At every stop, he will be asked if he is running. I don't know how long he can put off answering though; he has said he'll make his decision after November. Lets just keep our ears perked up for those two magic words: Exploratory Committee

Post by christopher.wilkerson has received Likes: 2 justgrace, WhatsNotToLike?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:03 am 
Lieutenant General

Liked: 58
Yeah that thought crossed my mind - I'm not sure how much "new" material this book will have (new policy proposals & ideas and stuff), I think like you it will really just be 1) an excuse for a booktour and possible 2) a "framework" for how he is going to talk about his ideas in the presidential campaign.

By framework, I mean the way he describes his policies in the book will also be how he describes them on the campaign trail.

Post by Wendero has received Likes: 2 justgrace, WhatsNotToLike?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:14 am 
***** General

Well, I was trying to post the picture of the new book cover, due out 1/20/15. But, of course I can't because this forum will now only allow 350x350 pixel images, for whatever reason. Very frustrating, to have to go through the extra steps to resize and then find a place to host the file. So heres the link.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bs14FIdIIAAGk9s.jpg:large