Hucks Army - Faith. Family. Freedom. [Grassroots] JOIN HUCKS ARMY | GET INVOLVED | FUNDRAISING | LINKS | LEADERSHIP | ABOUT
It is currently Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:56 pm 
***** General

Liked: 225
St. Barnabas Charities - Founder's Day

Gov. Mike Huckabee will receive the prestigious Hance Award, named for St. Barnabas founder Gouverneur P.Hance due to his governorship of the state of Arkansas, preaching in the Baptist ministry, conducting a television talk show and performing as a bass musician.

Each year, the Hance Award is presented to a person of national acclaim who exemplifies Hance’s ideals of benevolence, patriotism and service to others.

Among the past Hance Award recipients are Fred Rogers (first Hance Award recipient), community leader Elsie Hillman, Pittsburgh Steelers fame Terry Bradshaw, Andy Russell and Rocky Bleier, entertainer Debbie Reynolds, Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich, first lady Barbara Bush, astronaut “Buzz” Aldrin, President Gerald Ford and many more.

Post by christopher.wilkerson has received Likes: 2 justgrace, WhatsNotToLike?
 Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 8:20 am 
***** General

Liked: 225

Thursday night was supposed to be a celebration of former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee as he received the Hance Award during the St. Barnabas Charities Founder's Day Dinner.
Instead, the charismatic 2008 Republican presidential candidate turned the spotlight on the volunteers, employees and donors who support St. Barnabas Health System and St. Barnabas Charities.

In a lengthy speech to the organizations' supporters that ended just shy of 10 p.m., Huckabee skipped political topics for the most part and instead focused on his respect for Pittsburgh's revival as a city, his life growing up in a poor, rural family in Arkansas, his beliefs on the American ideal and why giving to others is so important.

After several other speakers addressed the audience, Huckabee took the stage to a standing ovation and immediately expressed his admiration for Pittsburgh and its residents, describing how the city was transformed from a “Rust Belt city into a Renewal Belt city.”
“It's a great thrill for me to be here. Pittsburgh, to me, is one of the most remarkable cities in America,” he said. “Pittsburgh had been written off by so many, except the residents.”
Huckabee weaved stories of his childhood, religious faith and political career with messages about the importance of giving and keeping the American ideal alive. Although considered by some pundits as a possible 2016 presidential nominee, Huckabee rarely touched on political topics.
Stories of his family background — poor, uneducated and working class — and his rise to governor of Arkansas and presidential nominee through hard work, a good upbringing and because he lives in America dominated his speech.
“I was one generation away from dirt floors, no electricity, no indoor plumbing,” Huckabee said. “Upstream from me, there is no male in my family lineage who finished high school. My father knew one thing: hard work and heavy lifting.”
Obtaining a job at a radio station when he was 14 years old, Huckabee said, was the key to him rising from rural poverty to get a college education and to chase his dreams.

Post by christopher.wilkerson Liked by: justgrace
 Profile Send private message