Hucks Army - Faith. Family. Freedom. [Grassroots] JOIN HUCKS ARMY | GET INVOLVED | FUNDRAISING | LINKS | LEADERSHIP | ABOUT
It is currently Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 4:44 pm 
***** General

Liked: 4
This just hit DrudgeReport so this will be on the weekend news.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 4:46 pm 
Private

Liked: 0
Maybe we can express our concerns by emailing here:

webmaster@huckpac.com

Or, going to this link. Mike may see this more that way.

http://www.huckpac.com/?FuseAction=ContactUs.Home

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 4:48 pm 
***** General

*knots in my stomach* Mike Mike Mike...

Whhyyyy????

I think I'm just going to go away and stick my head in the sand, and this will all be over..

His maiden, singing a victory song for faith, family and freedom
http://maidensong.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 4:54 pm 
Private

I just emailed Huck PAC at two different emails they provide. Hopefully it will reach Mike.

tpetersel keep on going, don't give up.

If anything, this will be a refining moment for Mike, I pray.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 5:07 pm 
***** General

Liked: 190
If this country has come to the point where every little joke, phrase, sentence is digested by the press, and yes it seems even those on here, to try and find some worst case scenerio, how many quality people will we have running for public office. I'm sure this was a JOKE, meant as such and to take it out of context and try to make it into a news story is sick. That the folks on here are giving this any serious credence, is really making me worried a whole lot more than the joke!

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 5:09 pm 
Sergeant

Liked: 1
Yes, it's not the best of Mike's comments. Those of us that know his sense of humor understand what he was saying, but the media will try to paint it an ugly picture. Just try to stay positive everyone and remember that Mike was only trying to be his humorous self for the audience. Unfortunately, his words won't be funny to everyone against him. It's also on Digg.

http://digg.com/politics/Huckabee_quips_about_gun_aimed_at_Obama

Pittsboro, NC

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 5:15 pm 

Liked: 152
I honestly thought it was humorous. I started laughing at the thought of Obama speaking to a bunch of gun rights activist. But, I also thought President Bush's looking all over for those missing WMDs was funny, too.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 5:18 pm 
***** General

nrobyar wrote:
If this country has come to the point where every little joke, phrase, sentence is digested by the press, and yes it seems even those on here, to try and find some worst case scenerio, how many quality people will we have running for public office. I'm sure this was a JOKE, meant as such and to take it out of context and try to make it into a news story is sick. That the folks on here are giving this any serious credence, is really making me worried a whole lot more than the joke!

I know it was a joke.. we're not worried that he really wants obama shot at!!

But I have been with Mike almost from the beginning of this campaign.. and I have seen first hand, what the media can create to influence the though process of the voting public. They will generate a firestorm of controversy, whether it was intended or not. and those who don't know mike will walk away with an impression that will not serve him well.

Unfortunantely, that is the reality.. and 'ignoring' it won't make Drudge take it down from his size 20 font screaming headline :|

We have to hope that those with the power are willing to help make this go away.. Mike is in their hands now.

I'm going to shut up about it.

His maiden, singing a victory song for faith, family and freedom
http://maidensong.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 5:27 pm 
Colonel

hsmith wrote:
I've just read the comments on this CNN ticker (which are now closed); almost everyone of the commentors were appalled and shocked that Mike would say something like this. Many say they had respect for Mike, but now they have lost it. I hope this gets over soon, because if this gets any bigger, it could be really bad for Mike.

It always really annoys me when someone says they "lost their respect" for someone over one offhand comment or joke. I can't imagine these same people hold themselves or their own favorite public figures to such a standard of perfection. If they do, they're in trouble.

That being said, Mike knows better than to say something so out-of-taste and inappropriate. He knows politics better than that, and should be well aware that something meaningless like this can become a national controversy within hours. Here, we all know it was a harmless joke and we know how respectfully he treats everyone, including Obama. Unfortunately, much of the media is ultra-sensitive and defensive about Obama, and of course they will absolutely run with something like this. It will not look good to people who know little about Huckabee.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 5:29 pm 
***** General

Liked: 3
It might have cost Mike the VP spot...but it's hard to tell for certain. Sometimes even bad publicity is good publicity. It also depends on one person... John McCain...he is still known for going for what he wants, not what the media thinks is good.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 5:34 pm 
Sergeant

So far there hasn't been a word about it on Fox News. I'm sure Hannity will be running off the mouth about it tonight though! We just need to stay positive. Maybe with all this Obama dualing with McCain and Bush, Mike won't get slammed as bad as if there wasn't anything else going on in the electoral sector.

Pittsboro, NC

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 5:37 pm 
Corporal

I heard that some blacks did not want to vote for Obama at first because of the fear of assassination. This is a very hypersensitive subject and I have a sick feeling as well. We must pray that Governor Huckabee has wisdom how to respond!! That he would not over inflate it if MSM (the media) doesn't touch it, but that he also responds very quickly to subvert any overreaction by MSM. When I first read it, I did not get it either but in context it makes sense and is funny - but now I am just worried people will not take it that way.

People who have really followed him know immediately that he did not mean any ill will to Obama. Finally, a politician we can give the benefit of the doubt, unfortunately others will not give him that luxury.

The good news is they did not add any negative context to this that made it sound like he was joking about assassination. The bad news is they left out the actual context for people to put in their own imaginative assessment.

We need responsible journalism!!!!

Many Blessings,
April Brown, TX
Still Believing in Miracles in '08 or '12
Proud Ranger #16991

"But seek ye first the kingdom of God and His Righteousness, and all these things shall be added unto you." Matthew 6:33

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 5:44 pm 
Site Admin

It was bad, yes... But we know that Huckabee didn't mean it the way it's being taken. So now is the time for Huck's Army to buckle down and be Huck's Army. As much as possible, try to clarify and respond -- particularly to friends and family members who hear about it, as well as online. Remember that Huckabee will have a chance to respond on Sunday on Meet the Press -- and I'm sure he'll do a great job.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 5:46 pm 
Site Admin

Guys, calm down. This is a clear and concerted push to knock Huckabee out of the VP running. They grabbed whatever they could (which wasn't much) and are launching a controversy. The joke didn't go off well, but it's nearly impossible to question the motive behind the statement (i.e. humorous, not threatening).

Read the comment section below the video Drudge Report links to. Even Obama supporters think it's silly:

http://www.breitbart.tv/?p=97143&comments=1#comments

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 5:54 pm 
Colonel

Unless it becomes something really big in the media, he should not issue an apology- just let it blow over as the light-hearted joke that it is rather than making it seem like something serious. Hopefully, we all overreacted because we remember what things were like for him during the campaign; he's no longer a candidate or in the spotlight much. Plus, it is true that Bush vs. Obama is the big controversy of the day.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 5:55 pm 
Major General

Liked: 54
I just watched a brief video clip of Mike's speech. It only had "the incident" without a context. I would like to see more of the speech. The article at CBS said that Rove spoke earlier and was making Barak Obama jabs himself and perhaps this would give us some clue as to why Mike would have thought this statement would be funny to his audience. From the clip itself, I can not understand why he would have thought these statements would be funny.

Mike was in the middle of his speech and was interrupted by this sound which could not be ignored so he acknowledged it and tried to make a little joke of it, and then went on with his speech, but that few seconds of off the top of his head humor may have cost a great deal. Just the other night when he was commenting on the WV primaries, they asked him about Pastor Hagee, and Huckabee expressed that he thought Hagee's apology was too "soft", and he needed to acknowledge that he had offended people and make a real apology. Soon thereafter Mike expressed something to the effect that he hoped that he would give a real apology if he ever said something that offended people. Well, perhaps some clumsy person offstage just provided him the opportunity to show what kind of a man he is. It is going to take a great deal of humility and courage, and prayer, but with God's help, and our help, there is hope that he can recover from this off the cuff misspeak, and do so with such genuine humility that even his enemies (which have become very bold in their denunciation of him over this) will grow in respect of his character. Truly, the Scripture says, "If anyone does not stumble in word, he is a perfect man..."(James3:2). We may have just been reminded of what we already knew, that Mike is not a perfect man. But then it goes on to tell us that none of the rest of us should be so proud as to think that we have it altogether in this area for it declares, "But no man can tame the tongue. It is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison."(James3:8) I can assure you from the comments posted below the news articles that there is a lot of poison being spewed out by those who are criticising Mike for what he said.

Take a little time to pray for our man Mike, will you? He needs wisdom from above at just this time.

http://www.cbsnews.com/sections/i_video/main500251.shtml?id=4103958n

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 6:35 pm 
Brigadier Geneal

Liked: 27
Yikes, this doesn't look good by any means.

However, we can be sure that God is watching out for Mike and that he has his hand over him. Perhaps this is meant to be a learning experience for Mike, or perhaps there is a hidden blessing in this whole issue. Maybe McCain was close to making Huckabee his VP, and that wasn't in God's plans for him. I've found that several times, I've said some really dumb things, and the consequences seemed negative at first but actually turned out to be blessings, more than once already in my young life. I think everyone needs to pray really hard for Mike and remember that God has his hand over Mike. This doesn't seem like a good situation, and the Devil will try to bring Mike down because of this, but God will bring Mike through this. If anything, this is a reminder that none of us are perfect!

Just a college kid and a Huckabee supporter!

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 6:42 pm 
Sergeant

I finally saw a clip on Fox of Mike's comment and laughed my tail off! It's the Mike we all know and love being his sweet, humorous help. If anyone out there has a problem with what he said, just hold your head up high and try to let it blow over. If Barack wouldn't have made his comments about the "bitter people in PA and their guns" the comment wouldn't have even been thought of probably. Mike cracks me up and this was no different.

Pittsboro, NC

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 6:44 pm 
Lieutenant General

Liked: 3
Quote:
Yikes, this doesn't look good by any means.

Not at all, everybody is picking up the story and running with it. :(

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 6:49 pm 
Brigadier Geneal

Liked: 27
I think we all need to pray especially hard for this country right now. It's obvious that the devil has been really pushing his agenda in this country, with the CA Supreme Court decision about gay marriage, and now I know that he's going to try to bring down Mike through the media. I feel like it's really important that we pray about both Mike and the country in general.

Just a college kid and a Huckabee supporter!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next