Hucks Army - Faith. Family. Freedom. [Grassroots] JOIN HUCKS ARMY | GET INVOLVED | FUNDRAISING | LINKS | LEADERSHIP | ABOUT
It is currently Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 7:19 pm 
Colonel

Liked: 2
Let's have a bit of eternal perspective here.....

What triggered this ill-advised joke? Was it a joke that the Gov tested out on Janet the night before? Was it prodding from a reporter?

No.

It was a chair that collapsed in the next room.

Unless this was His plan to start, I really don't think that God is going to allow the sound of a falling chair---something otherwise benign---to trigger a change the entire course of human history.

That is, of course, the logical extension of what some may be thinking.... McCain is seriously considering picking Huckabee, but wait! A chair fell by chance and as a direct result, Huckabee made a stupid joke. Therefore, McCain changes his mind.

If MH was NOT going to be VP even before this ill-advised comment, then what are we worrying about? We lost nothing.

But if MH was going to be VP even before this comment, then he still will be---UNLESS God caused this chance event knowing full well that MH would say what he said.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 7:24 pm 
Sergeant

Liked: 1
TheMatman wrote:
Let's have a bit of eternal perspective here.....

If MH was NOT going to be VP even before this ill-advised comment, then what are we worrying about? We lost nothing.

But if MH was going to be VP even before this comment, then he still will be---UNLESS God caused this chance event knowing full well that MH would say what he said.

Amen! I couldn't have said it better myself. We have to have FAITH!! We've been through worse storms than this as Huckabee supporters and if he is chosen as VP, we are going to go through even harder storms.

Pittsboro, NC

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 7:25 pm 
***** General

Liked: 92
Have read all the posts- they are all but overwhelming.

With so much going on with President Bush/JM/Obama... IMHO: the media have lots of other snippets to cover, spin, hash, rehash.

We have become such a sensitive bunch of people- ready to pile on at the first breath... am hoping clear heads will rule and what Mike said will be old news.

This piece of news has sure stirred many feelings and emotions. Life was easier when we could be out working, promoting and supporting Mike for an elected office. We will get to have such an opportunity at some point. I am saving my emotions for something more important than the "joke" Mike made today.

I could be wrong... but at this rate, someone - somewhere in the political world will make a new comment tomorrow and we will be off in a new direction.

Let's all hold on-
Thanks~ Janelle

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 7:51 pm 
*** General

Liked: 7
Let's remember where Mike was when he was speaking..the NRA Convention.
I am sure Mike was referring to Obama being afraid of guns--since he is not a gun owner or a hunter. He said "someone aimed a gun at him and he dove for the floor." We know he was talking about gun ownership and the 2nd Amendment. Taking that one sentence out of a whole speech is not right.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 8:06 pm 
Lieutenant General

Liked: 0
The big news of the day is Obama's strong response to Bush's comments yesterday which seemed maybe, maybe not, to question Obama, and McCain then jumping in on the Bush side, to which Obama and his people responded, etc., etc. Secondary news is McCain's own speech to the NRA and his position on the Second Amendment, background checks at gun shows, etc. And somewhere, buried in the least news-interested day of the week, is Governor Huckabee's joke, which may not have been very funny but is nothing about which to panic. Our enemy loves fear and accusation as tactics, and we need to lift up the shield of faith and claim the grace of God which is sufficient and trust that when we are weak He is strong.

"Praise be to the name of God for ever and ever; wisdom and power are His. He changes times and seasons; He sets up kings and deposes them. He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; He knows what lies in darkness, and light dwells with Him." (Daniel 2:20-22)

Brooklyn Blessings Blog

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 8:11 pm 
Lieutenant

Oh boy, all the people who don't like Mike will be copy and pasting this to every VP blog now.

A bunch of idiots who don't care much for reality, just their own agendas. Unfortunately, they are a loud bunch of idiots.

I just hope it isn't a slow news weekend. Covering this story just shows how pathetic ours news media is. None of them could honestly think that Huckabee was honestly saying that Obama might get assassinated. It was a poorly worded joke on a gun-control guy.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 8:15 pm 
Lieutenant General

Liked: 36
I did not think the joke was funny, but I know that Mike did not intend for it to be offensive. It was simply a careless comment. We are all human, we all make mistakes. I just hope that this doesn't cost Mike the VP spot. Hopefully, McCain knows that having Mike as his running mate would be his best chance of winning in November. Mike may have made a controversial joke, but I highly doubt that McCain's infamous temper or Obama's support of infanticide will be ignored following the primaries. Having Mike on the ticket will be more beneficial than harmful for McCain, as Huckabee is perhaps the most skilled debater and campaigner that the GOP currently has.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 8:21 pm 
Lieutenant General

Liked: 3
From Mike.

Quote:
During my speech at the NRA a loud noise backstage, that sounded like a chair falling, distracted the crowd and interrupted my speech. I made an off hand remark that was in no way intended to offend or disparage Sen. Obama.I apologize that my comments were offensive, that was never my intention.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 8:26 pm 
Lieutenant General

[quote="Ark4Huckabee"]Unless it becomes something really big in the media, he should not issue an apology- just let it blow over as the light-hearted joke that it is rather than making it seem like something serious.

Call me simple minded, but in my view, Mike Huckabee just has a real "funny bone", and in the moment, I can imagine that his humor just kicked in and this comment came out. And that's all....

He didn't mean for it to hurt anyone. Mike Huckabee wouldn't do that. You guys know the kind of person he is.

When a person is naturally funny, they can't help the funny things from coming out of their mouths sometimes. He's FUNNY! Can't we just leave it at that?

If everyone (including the media or whoever else)wants to over analyze and worry or make it into something much more, well, that's up to them.....people are going to do that anyways, no matter what you say. Just think about the comment about what Ed Rollins said (rather didn't say about the whole cross in the Christmas Ad thing)the other day? That was ridiculous how it spread. And it was nothing. :roll:

Or, when a reporter, who happened to be a woman, and she was asking Obama a question, and he said "Just a minute, SWEETIE", and again, people went wacko, making such a big deal out of NOTHING. What is wrong with people? Can't you say anything anymore without being called on it and have it made into some sinister insult or attack or politically incorrect comment?! I'm sorry but this is getting to be too much. Does anyone else see the insanity of what is going on with all of this??

And I agree with what "Matman" said too. God is in control and if it's His will for Mike to be out of VP consideration because of such a comment, so be it. He is who he is. Let the man breathe. We've all got to lighten up alittle. I think this crazy election cycle is making our whole country a little bonkers.... :?

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 8:28 pm 

Liked: 152
Huckabee issued an apology. Just saw it on MSNBC

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 8:29 pm 

Quote:
A Message From Mike Huckabee
by Mike Huckabee
Send to a friend
During my speech at the NRA a loud noise backstage, that sounded like a chair falling, distracted the crowd and interrupted my speech. I made an off hand remark that was in no way intended to offend or disparage Sen. Obama.I apologize that my comments were offensive, that was never my intention.

http://www.huckpac.com/?FuseAction=Blogs.View&Blog_id=1649

Copy and paste that on any blogs that bring it up.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 8:39 pm 
***** General

Liked: 4
It's good he apologized. CNN showed clips where McCain, Rove, Romney and Mike was all getting some jabs at Obama, so this remark didn't just come out of nowhere. In any event, he apologized and hopefully that ends it.

Still waiting for Rev. Wrong to apologize for his commets.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 8:41 pm 

tdavisjr wrote:
It's good he apologized. CNN showed clips where McCain, Rove, Romney and Mike was all getting some jabs at Obama, so this remark didn't just come out of nowhere. In any event, he apologized and hopefully that ends it.

Still waiting for Rev. Wrong to apologize for his commets.

Please don't hold your breath while waiting. I kinda like having you around here.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 8:51 pm 
***** General

Liked: 190
If you recall, McCain himself made a joke that is plastered all over youtube singing bomb, bomb, bomb, bomb, bomb Iran...... If that passed by, this will too. It's a very long time til the convention. Hundereds of things will come up between now and then to override this. If Obama got past the bitter comments and going to Rev Wright's church for 20 years, this is "small potatoes.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 9:13 pm 

nrobyar wrote:
If you recall, McCain himself made a joke that is plastered all over youtube singing bomb, bomb, bomb, bomb, bomb Iran...... If that passed by, this will too. It's a very long time til the convention. Hundereds of things will come up between now and then to override this. If Obama got past the bitter comments and going to Rev Wright's church for 20 years, this is "small potatoes.

I admit I laughed at McCain's "joke", too. It doesn't take much to make me laugh. Our whole family has a weird sense of humor. We even laughed when a neighbor teen visited our church years ago and farted so hard it vibrated the pew. And then there's the time my oldest son called his married sister and left a message on her machine trying out some new tape recorder thing he had purchased to administer spelling test for his homeschooled daughter. He recorded "Butt as in: My sister has the biggest butt in the whole universe."

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 9:18 pm 
*** General

Liked: 7
Has there ever been a post on Hucks Army with the word "farted" in it before?
Thanks, Granny T for getting that out of the way.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 9:35 pm 
** General

Well, this is just the kind of thing that we would want to avoid as we get closer to the election. The media is in the tank for Obama now and will take anything they can get their paws on to get him the nomination and into the White House...

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 9:45 pm 
***** General

Liked: 525
If they try to make something of it, those of us MH bloggers who happen to be black will defend Huck himself. It was not a good joke. But Huck has been much nicer to Obama than any other Republican as well as half of the Democrats. He also has a track record of reaching out that goes back long before he started running for President. But this will all blow over. Too many other people are fighting with each other and there's only 24 hours in the news cycle.

He still needs to be careful to avoid saying things that can be misinterpreted - in general

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 9:58 pm 
***** General

I bet if Clinton was the presumptive nominee that Huck would have still made the joke. Given that it was made at a NRA meeting. It's like the joke with Dick Cheney. Everyone run for cover it's Dick Cheney with a gun! The joke sounds horrible but it would sound worse if it wasn't at a NRA meeting and the national media will probably not tell where it was at they will just how the clip. Jokes get Mike into trouble.

Mike Huckabee is more than a candidate that ran a campaign--He is a man that started a movement--- and wore a Purple Tie to prove it!!

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 10:12 pm 
Colonel

RedCentral wrote:
Jokes get Mike into trouble.

His political advisors through the years have probably had a love-hate relationship with his sense of humor. Dating back through all his years in Arkansas politics and now on a national level, Huckabee's terrific sense of humor is a huge part of why's he's as successful as he is, and is the thing that most often gets him into trouble. :? :mrgreen:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next