Hucks Army - Faith. Family. Freedom. [Grassroots] JOIN HUCKS ARMY | GET INVOLVED | FUNDRAISING | LINKS | LEADERSHIP | ABOUT
It is currently Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 1:17 am 
***** General

Liked: 72
MSNBC's anchor was not very friendly to Mike.

"If there was hope, it must lie in the proles..." George Orwell's Nineteen Eighty-Four

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 2:15 am 
***** General

Liked: 190
I sent an email to msnbc because they described Mike's joke as one of the biggest gaffes in the campaign. I said I found it unbelieveable how they could say that in light of the democratic candidate, who had sat in a church for 20 years listening to a pastor preaching hate for white people and hate for America, had admitted to being friends with a terrorist who bombed the Pentagon, had a wife who said this is the first time she's been proud of America and wrote a racist paper in college, talked of people in small towns being bitter and clinging to guns and religion and they say a "bad joke" is one of the biggest gaffes, yet these things with Obama are all overlooked. I statede that coverage for Republicans was treated much more critically than Democrats!

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 2:42 am 
Lieutenant

Liked: 0
beezwax wrote:
MSNBC's anchor was not very friendly to Mike.

With that last women. Is that....umm....is that the....democrats starting to get nervous about the Huck-appeal in November? :D

Breaking news? Really? This is why I get my news from the Economics. While it has a liberal bent, and it doesn't like Mike much, at least there no bells and whistles.

The MSNBC host was really digging. I don't watch cable news much, but I've seen him before. From what I've seen, he went to the same school of balanced reporting as Mr Hannity ;)

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 8:36 am 
***** General

Liked: 92
nrobyar wrote:
I sent an email to msnbc because they described Mike's joke as one of the biggest gaffes in the campaign. I said I found it unbelieveable how they could say that in light of the democratic candidate, who had sat in a church for 20 years listening to a pastor preaching hate for white people and hate for America, had admitted to being friends with a terrorist who bombed the Pentagon, had a wife who said this is the first time she's been proud of America and wrote a racist paper in college, talked of people in small towns being bitter and clinging to guns and religion and they say a "bad joke" is one of the biggest gaffes, yet these things with Obama are all overlooked. I statede that coverage for Republicans was treated much more critically than Democrats!

Good for you!!!!!!!!!!... and I agree. Thanks for your time and efforts.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 9:19 am 
Lieutenant General

TheValuesVoter wrote:
This will blow over. The reason: everyone knows that he 1) is a jokester and 2) has a long-held reputation for caring about people in general. He's not a mean guy. It will go away.

Well put, TheValuesVoter. And I totally agree. :wink:

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 9:21 am 
Captain

I wish he wouldn't have said "pointing a gun" It made me feel a little uncomfortable. If the talking heads keep making a big deal about it, I hope they give him a chance to explane. Did anyone hear his veiw point on what President Bush said in Israel? It was great.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 9:34 am 
Sergeant

Liked: 1
If you all have a chance, go to digg.com and try to bury some of those articles. They are painting poor Mike as a racist now. How they get that, who knows but the comments are ugly, as always.

Pittsboro, NC

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 10:49 am 
***** General

Liked: 4
4everRoxy wrote:
If you all have a chance, go to digg.com and try to bury some of those articles. They are painting poor Mike as a racist now. How they get that, who knows but the comments are ugly, as always.

It isn't worth it. If you say anything about Barry Obama that is not well received, then you will be branded as a racist. That is the way this general election will be. I think the Obama's have this rumor to worry about if it's true.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 11:28 am 
Lieutenant General

tdavisjr wrote:
4everRoxy wrote:

It isn't worth it. If you say anything about Barry Obama that is not well received, then you will be branded as a racist. That is the way this general election will be. I think the Obama's have this rumor to worry about if it's true.

I went and took a look, and I think you may be right, tdavisjr.

When I first heard Michelle Obama speak, on Larry King, I thought she seemed very measured but very nice. However, she had a look in her eyes, that was hard to discern, but reminded me of a feline, ready to pounce, but is controlled and focused, you know? Not letting the prey know it is there? Well, she had that look. And I think she is the one to be concerned about. She has this "tone" when she's talking and it's not friendly, rather it stirs things up. I think to Michelle Obama this election and Obama's running for office has everything to do with race, and that's a shame. Because it really shouldn't. I know I didn't see this at first, but I am seeing it now.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 6:08 pm 
***** General

To return to the joke itself, part of it I thought was Mike's goofing on Obama's tendency to think everything is about him (as in the case of Bush's comments in Israel) or to think that everybody (as in the case of NRA gun advocates) is out to get --i.e. shoot--him, possibly in light of Obama's San Francisco comments.

Question: was this joke not well received because Obama is black? Would people have thought it was funny if it was about a white person? If so, very very sad.... and proof this country is not ready for a black president, or not this one anyway.

Did anybody here / ed: sorry I mean hear Rush Limbaugh yesterday listing all the things we are not allowed to mention about Obama? Very funny but also to the point. ("All the things" end up being practically EVERYthing.)

Yes, the world revolves around Obama.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 6:48 pm 
***** General

Liked: 133
[quote="joyman25"]and here is MSNBC's take on it... basically concluding that Mike's a loony... maybe someday folks will see through this trash.

Hey joyman! Thanks for the clips! Just watched this clip, and, to be fair, I think the "brings out the loonies" comment was referring to possible assassins, not to Mike. Of course, I could be wrong....it's been known to happen before. :D

For the most part, I'm surprised at how fairly the media treated this. Basically, the clips I saw said, "it was a dumb thing to say, and I'm sure Mike knows it." I was laughing when Frank Luntz said he gets in trouble for making bad jokes all the time. I was thinking about some of the emails I sent back and forth to him after the New Hampshire debate...he was definitely on my bad list that night!

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 7:10 pm 
Captain

Liked: 25
I like Mike, and I think he is usually funny and clever. But I think here on the spur of the moment he made an inappropriate joke - especially given the reports of threats being made to Obama supporters.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 7:12 pm 
Captain

Liked: 25
Plus, this could provide campaign fodder if Mike gets the VP nod.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 7:17 pm 

Liked: 152
Lee wrote:
Plus, this could provide campaign fodder if Mike gets the VP nod.

If Mike had a history of being a racist it would be a real problem. But, Mike has a history of being a champion for civil rights and for giving others "a little slack." He has apologized. If people don't get over it they are the ones with the bigotry problem.

If "foot in mouth disease" is a disqualification for being a politician we wouldn't have any; because the only Perfect Man to walk on earth was "too smart to run for public office." :D

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 7:52 pm 
*** General

Liked: 7
Quote:
If "foot in mouth disease" is a disqualification for being a politician we wouldn't have any; because the only Perfect Man to walk on earth was "too smart to run for public office."

Granny T, you are so awesome!

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 8:52 pm 
***** General

Liked: 40
I didn't see it, but my mom just told me Gov. Huckabee was on with Geraldo earlier - mostly talking about Obama, about Ted Kennedy (his being taken to a hospital today), and then about what Gov. Huckabee said at the NRA. According to my Mom, it seems Geraldo 'likes him a great deal' - so perhaps it was a good interview.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 9:01 pm 
***** General

Jughead wrote:
To return to the joke itself, part of it I thought was Mike's goofing on Obama's tendency to think everything is about him (as in the case of Bush's comments in Israel) or to think that everybody (as in the case of NRA gun advocates) is out to get --i.e. shoot--him, possibly in light of Obama's San Francisco comments.

Question: was this joke not well received because Obama is black? Would people have thought it was funny if it was about a white person? If so, very very sad.... and proof this country is not ready for a black president, or not this one anyway.

Did anybody here / ed: sorry I mean hear Rush Limbaugh yesterday listing all the things we are not allowed to mention about Obama? Very funny but also to the point. ("All the things" end up being practically EVERYthing.)

Yes, the world revolves around Obama.

I think I've made this point already by stating that if he made the same joke about Clinton and referring to "sniper-gate" then everyone would have laughed about it and be done with it. This being the case, Mike should know next time that you can't joke like this when it comes to Obama.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 9:05 pm 
Colonel

Liked: 2
Good news.... Limbaugh will not be on the air (himself) Monday and Tuesday. At least he won't be talking about it.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 9:17 pm 
*** General

Liked: 7
Quote:
In the big picture what's worse....

(1) Huckabee joking about Obama diving to avoid a gunman at an NRA Convention.... OR
(2) Ronald Reagan joking on an open mic about launching nuclear weapons at Russia?

I had to look this up! Thanks for causing me to do my history lesson today, Matman!

http://www.colorado.edu/AmStudies/lewis ... htm#fellow

"My fellow Americans, I'm pleased to tell you today that I've signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever. We begin bombing in five minutes."
__President Reagan on live radio, August 1984

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 9:19 pm 
***** General

Looks like Bob Barr chimed in with nothing good to say. There is a posting on Politico about this. Here is what he said:

Quote:
“Mike Huckabee showed incredibly poor taste when he joked about a gun pointed at Sen. Barack Obama. His words were reckless, callous and harmful to the sports men and women of America and to those of us who fully support the Second Amendment.

“Every candidate for public office inflames the passions of people who fervently disagree with them. To suggest, as Gov. Huckabee did, the misuse of a firearm toward a political candidate is reckless. His attitude toward proper, legal and safe use of firearms was demeaning to all of us who advocate the right to bear arms. His reprehensible use of a threatening and violent scenario involving a firearm at the NRA's national convention was vile beyond belief.

“I call on all supporters of the Second Amendment and all supporters of civil discourse in our political races to demand a public apology from Gov. Huckabee.”

Looks like he is just trying to get some national attention.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next