Hucks Army - Faith. Family. Freedom. [Grassroots] JOIN HUCKS ARMY | GET INVOLVED | FUNDRAISING | LINKS | LEADERSHIP | ABOUT
It is currently Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:29 am 
Captain

Liked: 3
Neal Boortz just said there are only 2 people with a chance in 2012 for the nomination. His money is on Huckabee, with a possibility of Romney. Is he the only media figure who's actually read the polls?

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:41 am 
***** General

Liked: 31
From Steve Moore.....
good point I like Mike Huckabee and he would be a good candidate-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, July 06, 2009 11:17 AM
To: Moore, Steve
Subject: Mike Huckabee

Mr. Moore

I couldn't help but notice that in your analysis of the Palin resignation, you failed to mention Governor Huckabee as a potential 2012 GOP Presidential candidate that was helped substantially (if not most) by the recent events. Was this an oversight or do you not believe this to be the case? Can you opine on Governor Huckabee's "frontrunner" status?

I am a strong supporter of Governor Mike Huckabee. I think that he would have made an excellent president and I spent a good deal of time last year working to help that happen. I am not a particularly religious person, and certainly not a "values voter" or part of the Evangelical base of the G.O.P. (in fact, I'm a registered Independent from NY). While it is clear why SoCons would like him, I believe that he is just as appealing to FiCons. One of the most discouraging things of this past election cycle was the campaign's inability to successfully counter claims that he ran Arkansas in a fiscally liberal manner. I would suggest quite the opposite and to this day I do not understand why the G.O.P. establishment, the talking heads (e.g. Hannity, Limbaugh, Coulter, et.al.) and most importantly, your former organization, the Club for Growth worked so vigorously to prevent him from winning the nomination. In light of your shared support of the Fair Tax and more recently, the Governor's aggressive opposition to the federal "Stimulus"plan, Auto bailout, Cap and Trade, Universal Healthcare, etc. can you offer any advice on how Mike can change the perception of himself from a fiscal standpoint?
In review of the Governor's 10 1/2 year record:

He cut taxes almost 100 times in the state of Arkansas.

He returned almost $400 million to Arkansas taxpayers.

He was the first Governor of Arkansas to pass a broad-based tax cut in the history of the state. He also doubled the standard deduction to $2,000 for individuals and to $4,000 for married couples, as well as the child care tax credit and eliminated the marriage penalty.
He eliminated the capital gains tax on the sale of a home.
He eliminated the state income tax for families below the poverty line.
He reduced the capital gains tax for businesses and individuals.
He indexed the income tax to protect people from paying higher taxes because of “bracket creep.”
Governor Huckabee left the state with almost a $1 billion surplus- a state record, setting the stage for further tax reductions. The “Huckabee Surplus” enabled his successor to follow Huckabee’s lead to begin the elimination of the state sales tax on food.

He cut welfare rolls by almost 50 percent.

With respect to the tax and spending that he had under his control, spending rose about six-tenths of one percent a year during his ten-and-a-half year tenure.
He established the Murphy Commission by Executive Order (his first as governor) to streamline government to save taxpayers’ dollars and make government more efficient.
He also led efforts to establish a Taxpayers’ Bill of Rights and a Property Taxpayers’ Bill of Rights, which established a uniform notice and due process procedure guaranteeing all Arkansans they will be treated fairly in the assessment of property taxes.
On tax increases:

In 1996 voters approved an increase in the sales tax to support conservation which was a wonderful investment in Arkansas. 1/8 cent sales tax increase approved by voters to fund conservation and park services to preserve Arkansas natural and cultural heritage.
In 1999, Arkansans supported a fuel tax increase that allowed Arkansas to completely rehabilitate the interstate highway system, changing the interstate system from one of the worst in the country to the best according to Truckers Magazine. The $1 billion project was completed on budget and on time. The legislature passed the gas tax, but it wouldn’t be implemented unless the people voted on, and approved, the bond issue; which was passed by an 80% vote of the people in 1999.
In 2001, a sales tax increase offset revenue lost from constitutional amendment cutting property taxes by $180 million. The sales tax increase and property tax cut were voted on by citizens of Arkansas – they chose how to be taxed.
In 2003, a cigarette tax increase of 25 cents per pack funded state healthcare obligations. Arkansas tobacco taxes are still low, 33rd in the U. S.
In 2003, there was a temporary increase in the income tax to offset the economic recession our country was facing in the aftermath of the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001. They were needed for one year, and unlike most “temporary taxes,” Governor Huckabee made sure that the legislature kept its promise to the people that it was eliminated after two years.
In 2004, he allowed a 7/8 cent sales tax increase to become law without his signature to comply with a Supreme Court order to increase funding for education, which avoided the courts taking over public education in Arkansas.
On spending:
He cut state budget by 11%.

Arkansas spending increased 49% during Governor’s ten-year tenure - in line with a 46% state average over same time period, and much lower than the 70% increase in federal spending for that period.
Arkansas ranks 43rd so far this decade in spending as a percentage of personal income – this is a fairer judge of spending given disparity between poorer and richer states.
States have to increase spending every year by at least 5-6% just to keep up with rising costs of healthcare, education, and other services.
Spending that Governor controlled, not federal pass-throughs and programs controlled by the Democrat legislature, rose only about six-tenths of one percent a year during his tenure.
Minimum Wage –he increased minimum wage by $1.10 to avoid passage of a constitutional amendment that would have increased minimum wage annually by the amount of inflation. The Governor accepted one-shot deal as price of avoiding regular increases.
Regards,
Steve

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:57 am 
General

Liked: 71
Michael Steele started following me today on twitter (@HuckRepublican). Maybe Mr. Chairman is noticing too.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:58 pm 
Major General

Liked: 12
FiscalConservative wrote:
Michael Steele started following me today on twitter (@HuckRepublican). Maybe Mr. Chairman is noticing too.

Interesting.....

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:09 pm 
***** General

Liked: 37
He also started following me today too.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:25 pm 
Major General

Liked: 12
BDBopper wrote:

You guys must make a lot of tweets and it must be good relevant stuff. You guys always have good stuff to say. I must confess that I know about twitter, but I've never been there. He (Steele) must want to know what Huck fans are thinking.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:02 am 
***** General

Liked: 440
BDBopper wrote:

Brian, you don't even have Huckabee in your Twitter name, do you? The fact that he is following you by your name really says a lot.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:20 am 
General

Well I am just learning about twitter. My goal is to keep it strictly political stuff and none of the fluff, only the more important and pertainate information. For instance I am eagerly waiting the next PPP poll hoping there is some favorable movement for Huckabee since the recent Palin news. I am not sure when they do thier polling, but certainly by next month, we should get a good idea how Palins resignation affects people attitudes toward a her possible run for president in 2012 and which candidate benefits the most if there is a stift.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:24 am 
***** General

Liked: 31
steves wrote:
From Steve Moore.....
good point I like Mike Huckabee and he would be a good candidate-----Original Message-----

For those unfamiliar w/ Stephen Moore.....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Moore_(economist)
Stephen Moore (born February 16, 1960 in Chicago, Illinois) is an economic writer and policy analyst who founded and served as president of the Club for Growth from 1999 to 2004........
Let's keep chipping away at these folks.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:16 am 
Captain

Liked: 29
steves wrote:
steves wrote:
From Steve Moore.....

For those unfamiliar w/ Stephen Moore.....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Moore_(economist)
Stephen Moore (born February 16, 1960 in Chicago, Illinois) is an economic writer and policy analyst who founded and served as president of the Club for Growth from 1999 to 2004........
Let's keep chipping away at these folks.

Another excellent job Steve! That's a great strategy to directly approach key movers and shakers. I like Steve Moore - I regularly see him on Fox News. He has a certain nerdiness about him (in an endearing and very knowledgeable about economics way).

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:16 pm 
***** General

Liked: 259
Looks like Boortz has moved on to another candidate. Could be because he does not think Huckabee will be running in 2012.

Quote:
Just met Mitt Romney and heard him speak. For now, he's my choice. That would be 'cause I'm not running.

Quote:
# The Talkmaster to meet and talk with Mitt Romney tonight. Want to correct him on a few points about the FairTax he raised in his book about 16 hours ago via web

http://twitter.com/Talkmaster/status/9709136506

http://ilikemikehuckabee2012.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:24 pm 
***** General

Liked: 32
Well, looks like Boortz is a bigger flip-flopper than his new hero worshipper. Bit time!

Who knows! They are all nuts. :roll: :roll:

That is why I support Mike Huckabee as strongly as I do -- because he is consistent, intelligent, principled -- and did I mention consistent??

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:49 am 
General

Boortz is co-writer of the Fair Tax books and its one of his top issues. Before the 2008 election, Boortz said AFFT approached Romney and Romney wasn't interrested in making it a campaign issue. Does this mean Romney is warming up to the idea?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:33 am 
*** General

Liked: 43
FiscalConservative wrote:
Boortz is co-writer of the Fair Tax books and its one of his top issues. Before the 2008 election, Boortz said AFFT approached Romney and Romney wasn't interrested in making it a campaign issue. Does this mean Romney is warming up to the idea?
If so, then he would only be following in the footsteps of Mike Huckabee in the issues of Life, Marriage, Guns, TARP, and now, Tax Policy/Reform.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:34 am 
General

Liked: 41
Isn't the title of this article deceiving? It looks like Boortz is now supporting Romney for 2012, is that right?

I wonder if Romney is now pushing the Flat Tax because Beck is pushing it on his show, and I think he is backing Romney again. Does anybody know?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:21 am 
***** General

Liked: 66
Vote For Truth wrote:
Isn't the title of this article deceiving? It looks like Boortz is now supporting Romney for 2012, is that right?

I wonder if Romney is now pushing the Flat Tax because Beck is pushing it on his show, and I think he is backing Romney again. Does anybody know?

Yes the topic is actually originally from July of '09, so I'm going to change the title to reflect the changes.

--Attention Guests--
Join the Discussion!
Click the graphic to join!

:army

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:33 pm 

Liked: 8
The title presently reads "Boortz had Huck in 2012, now likes Romeny." Is it supposed to read "Boortz had Huck in 2008, now likes Romeny"?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:09 am 
***** General

Liked: 4
Here is what's going on here. Boortz is not a social conservative. He actually don't like social issues like abortion brought up and thinks the GOP should de-emphasize their abortion position. He liked Huck since he pushed the Fair Tax so they had a common goal even though Mike was a strong social conservative.

Now, the "new and improved" Mitt Romney is re-emerging. He has a new book that will probably lay the groundwork on how he would run if he decides. My guess is that he probably have some sort of tax plan that is the Fair Tax or maybe a Flat Tax. But, what Boortz really likes is that the new Romney isn't going to touch the social issues. He will run as a Fiscal Conservative and a problem solver. You know , the CEO type. That is what Boortz is looking for and that is probably why he is probably going to jump.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:25 am 
Lieutenant General

Liked: 22
In the end, Boortz will back whatever major tier candidate is for the FairTax. If there is not a major tier candidate for the FairTax then your guess is good as mine who Boortz will back. If it comes down to Huck vs. Romney, Boortz will back Huck.

FairTax Indiana on Facebook

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:24 pm 
***** General

Liked: 183
Romney will not back the Fair Tax until about 20 other major Republican leaders do the same. He is not a leader but a follower.