Hucks Army - Faith. Family. Freedom. [Grassroots] JOIN HUCKS ARMY | GET INVOLVED | FUNDRAISING | LINKS | LEADERSHIP | ABOUT
It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:57 pm 
Lieutenant General

Liked: 3
Quote:
By: David A. Patten

Oft-mentioned 2012 GOP presidential prospect Sarah Palin trails former Govs. Mike Huckabee and Mitt Romney in Iowa, and is not the current favorite to win the Hawkeye State caucuses based on statewide polling conducted by Rep. Steve King.

King, R-Iowa, won re-election in a landslide on Tuesday and shared details of his private polling during an exclusive interview with Newsmax.TV.

"We ran some numbers with our statewide polling we did as part of our campaign here," King tells Newsmax. "And we saw Mike Huckabee was still in the lead, and that Mitt Romney was running second.
Sarah Palin was down a little ways along with Newt Gingrich," he says.

Iowa, with the first date on the primary calendar, plays a critical role in selecting the GOP presidential nominee.

King hastens to add, however, that he believes Palin would be able to "build a base pretty quickly" there.

One Palin advantage: She gave an early endorsement to GOP Gov.-elect Terry Branstad, who on Tuesday became the first candidate in 48 years to unseat an incumbent Iowa governor (Democrat Chet Culver). Huckabee, by contrast, had endorsed Branstad's GOP opponent, tea party favorite Bob Vander Plaats, in the primary.

Now that the midterm elections are in the rearview mirror, all eyes are looking toward 2012. As arguably the only bona fide GOP celebrity, Palin is already sucking a lot of oxygen out of the room.

A national Rasmussen Reports survey Thursday showed Romney leading the GOP field with 20 percent, followed by Huckabee and Palin at 19 percent among likely GOP primary voters. Thirteen percent favor former House Speaker Newt Gingrich.

Regardless of the early polling, King says Palin's brand of politics would make her a formidable force in the Hawkeye State.

"This is retail politics, and she has an extraordinary charisma and magnetism about her," King tells Newsmax. "The presence of Sarah Palin in the room at any event puts all kinds of energy in it."

King says that Iowa has a strong male-senior demographic. "Senior men seem to really light up to Sarah Palin," he says, adding that Palin would be a serious competitor in the Iowa caucuses often used as a springboard to the rest of the primaries.

"This is eye-to-eye, hand-to-hand, and people get to know the candidates personally," King tells Newsmax. "So they're not just making a judgment on how they are marketed over the national media with their slick-looking glossies. But they're looking at how people are handling themselves in a whole number of situations. And they have their telephone network and their e-mail tree, and this conversation that goes on statewide. It makes a big difference.

http://www.newsmax.com/Headline/steve-k ... /id/376106

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:10 pm 
***** General

Liked: 259
Does anyone remember who King endorsed in 2008? Anyone know his thoughts on Huckabee:

Quote:
King, R-Iowa, won re-election in a landslide on Tuesday and shared details of his private polling during an exclusive interview with Newsmax.TV.

"We ran some numbers with our statewide polling we did as part of our campaign here," King tells Newsmax. "And we saw Mike Huckabee was still in the lead, and that Mitt Romney was running second. http://www.newsmax.com/Headline/steve-k ... /id/376106

He was really pushing Palin in the interview. Is King trying to knock-out Huckabee by pushing Palin?

http://ilikemikehuckabee2012.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:59 pm 
***** General

Liked: 133
King endorsed Fred Thompson. I remember because I spent about an hour on the phone talking with his son, who was working in his campaign office. He had already announced that he would be endorsing "someone" soon, but his son said even he did not know who the "someone" would be.

By the time of his endorsement, before the Iowa caucuses, it was already apparent that Fred Thompson was not a very enthusiastic campaigner. When asked whether he thought Fred had enough "fire in his belly" to run, King said something like, "I'm hoping to put some fire in his belly if he needs it."

From what I know of King, I respect him a great deal. He has been a stalwart supporter of life, marriage, and family, and has been willing to take unpopular (from the world's view) public stands on issues we care about.

That said....Thompson? Palin? What gives with that? It reminds me of the expression, "can't see the forest for the trees." Of course, he hasn't endorsed Palin, and maybe the quotes in this article were culled from many. The media does seem to have a fixation on promoting her. :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:21 pm 
***** General

Liked: 211
Steve King was all ready to make the mistake of his career and endorse Mitt Romney in 2008 when right before he was going to announce it he switched to the default candidate Fred Thompson. King has said Huckabee was soft on immigration. (Although, didn't Thompson help McCain with the amnesty bill? And of course Romney had illegals working one of his houses.)

I'm sure that neither Huckabee or Romney excite King and he is blowing the Palin smokescreen. I would be shocked if he got behind her.

King is a great Congressman and he helped tremendously with voting out our Supreme Court judges, but sometime he can pull some "funny" things.

My question is why were they conducting state-wide polling when he only represents one of Iowa's five districts? (He is in Republican-rich western Iowa.) Also, why is Palin still polling third after her "big visit" to Iowa? I thought that was supposed to seal the deal for her in Iowa. And the media still doesn't get what the Branstad endorsement really meant for her here (twerked off the base who would be voting in the caucuses). Anyway, Romney endorsed Branstad long before she did and gave him A LOT more money.

FYI-both Huckabee and Romney endorsed Steve King this election cycle.

TEAM HUCK IOWA
http://www.facebook.com/TeamHuckIowa

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:04 am 
Lieutenant General

Liked: 22
FYI: King is a huge FairTax guy.

FairTax Indiana on Facebook

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:00 am 
***** General

Liked: 523
It's hard to tell without having the exact conversational context, but honestly, my surface impression of this is that King started going in one direction & then realizing how it might be negatively perceived, wanted to make sure that Palin supporters did not think that he was dismissing her so he talked her up.

Besides that - this was Newsmax (remember the free "Going Rogue" book with subscription guys who bought up large quantities when it was released to run it up the NYT list?) Have to wonder how much of what King said made it into the final, edited version...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:17 am 
***** General

Liked: 440
QuoVadisAnima wrote:
It's hard to tell without having the exact conversational context, but honestly, my surface impression of this is that King started going in one direction & then realizing how it might be negatively perceived, wanted to make sure that Palin supporters did not think that he was dismissing her so he talked her up.

Besides that - this was Newsmax (remember the free "Going Rogue" book with subscription guys who bought up large quantities when it was released to run it up the NYT list?) Have to wonder how much of what King said made it into the final, edited version...

I think you are right on this one. I was thinking the same thing.

I really hope King gets behind Mike this time. He has had some opportunities to spend some time with Huckabee supporters since '08 and hopefully enough to soak up some of that enthusiasm; and maybe has listened to it enough to take a second look at our guy. He would be awesome to have on our team. From what I've observed, he appears to be highly respected and influential throughout the state beyond just the conservative base and beyond his district. Unfortunately, I think since both of them endorsed him, he would stay neutral and not back one over the other.

Personally, I don't think he is so much behind Sarah as just being polite and respectful to a fellow Republican in this article. It seems like the media these past few days has been able to take any story about any Republican and turn it into a HUGE story about Palin.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:31 am 
Brigadier Geneal

Liked: 24
higgybaby4huck wrote:

didnt know King was a fair tax guy., now that sure is interesting.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:41 pm 
***** General

Liked: 211
charleslawlesss wrote:
higgybaby4huck wrote:

didnt know King was a fair tax guy., now that sure is interesting.

King and Huckabee have done some Fair Tax rallies together in the past few years. King doesn't always endorse...sometimes he stays out. Although sometimes his endorsements are puzzling, they are never in direct opposition to what he stands for. I would love if he endorsed Huckabee next time around but also realize that if he doesn't if wouldn't hurt Mike's candidacy as endorsements are only a small part of the candidate.

I agree with the above discussion on King's comments about Palin. He most likely realized a "gotcha" moment by NewsMax and was trying to not create waves where waves were not needed.

TEAM HUCK IOWA
http://www.facebook.com/TeamHuckIowa