Hucks Army - Faith. Family. Freedom. [Grassroots] JOIN HUCKS ARMY | GET INVOLVED | FUNDRAISING | LINKS | LEADERSHIP | ABOUT
It is currently Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:29 pm 
Offline
MODERATOR
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:22 am
Posts: 845
Likes: 77
Liked: 57
http://www.therightscoop.com/beck-slams ... n-skinned/

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:49 pm 
Offline
***** General

Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:32 pm
Posts: 3685
Location: Colorado
Likes: 341
Liked: 247
Just got this email from Glenn Beck:

Quote:
Huckabee picks fight with Glenn, gets humiliated‏


Mike Huckabee picks an unnecessary fight with Glenn...loses badly

Former Governor Mike Huckabee took exception to Glenn's non controversial comments he made about the former governor, referring to Huck as a Progressive Republican. Huck didn't waste any time, taking to his own radio show and website and issuing a response that was filled with many holes and even outright lies. The attacks were so off base that Glenn responded on radio today - something he most likely now wishes never happened because (as the youth say) he got totally OWNED! Glenn's full reaction HERE -- and The Blaze breakdown of the big lie HERE.



Sooo...Huckabee picked the fight??? His was a response! It's looking to me like Glenn intentionally set out to start a war with Mike. We need to pray for wisdom regarding Mike's moves in this battle.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:56 pm 
Offline
MODERATOR
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:22 am
Posts: 845
Likes: 77
Liked: 57
If this gets out to the entire media with multiple stations reporting on it. maybe it will draw more viewers to Huckabees tv show where they can hear Huck tell his side of the story. Perhaps this is better to happen now than when/if Governor Huckabee decides to enter the 2012 race.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:33 pm 
Offline
MODERATOR

Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:15 pm
Posts: 1017
Likes: 281
Liked: 340
ColoradoMom4Huckabee wrote:
Just got this email from Glenn Beck:

Quote:
Huckabee picks fight with Glenn, gets humiliated‏


Mike Huckabee picks an unnecessary fight with Glenn...loses badly

Former Governor Mike Huckabee took exception to Glenn's non controversial comments he made about the former governor, referring to Huck as a Progressive Republican. Huck didn't waste any time, taking to his own radio show and website and issuing a response that was filled with many holes and even outright lies. The attacks were so off base that Glenn responded on radio today - something he most likely now wishes never happened because (as the youth say) he got totally OWNED! Glenn's full reaction HERE -- and The Blaze breakdown of the big lie HERE.



Sooo...Huckabee picked the fight??? His was a response! It's looking to me like Glenn intentionally set out to start a war with Mike. We need to pray for wisdom regarding Mike's moves in this battle.

Please pray about this issue:
http://forum.hucksarmy.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=23913&p=208708#p208708

_________________
He is no fool, who gives what he cannot keep, to gain what he cannot lose. -Jim Elliot


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:51 pm 
Offline
***** General

Joined: Sat May 31, 2008 3:14 pm
Posts: 2120
Likes: 509
Liked: 440
Too bad Beck didn't pick this fight with Trump. Now that would have been fun to watch.

Just the way this email talks, like saying he got totally owned, shows the immaturity and unprofessional behavior that Beck is known for.

Mike is such a class act. Hopefully, he won't get too drawn into this child's-play, playground fight, that Beck is trying to coax him into. A good strong, classy response will be fine though. He needs to stand up for himself and not let these classless pundits, who only wish they could be half the man Mike is, bully him.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:41 pm 
Offline
***** General
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:13 pm
Posts: 1623
Location: Atlanta, GA
Likes: 177
Liked: 225
Some further background on this episode:

Glenn Beck Website wrote:
Earlier this week, Glenn said that he was not excited about the possibility of a Mike Huckabee presidency and said that he felt that politically, Huckabee was a progressive. Mike Huckabee did not take kindly to the comments, and responded to Glenn on Huckabee’s website. Glenn addressed those comments on radio this morning, and explained why he said what he said.

Glenn explained that during a discussion of Trump and possible GOP candidates, “I brought up Mike Huckabee, a guy I believe is probably going to be the early favorite for the Republican nominee.”

“I shared this because that’s what I do. I share my thoughts on politics. That’s kind of in my job description.”

“First of all, I said that I don’t have a problem with Mike Huckabee as a person. I don’t know him all that well personally. I have met him once or twice. We’ve had a couple of conversations, maybe one long conversation, and that one was on air. You witnessed it. I spent an hour with him. He seems like a decent guy, a sincere guy. I have many friends who have friends of his. He is a spiritual guy.”

“I also happen to think that he is a big government guy. He’s a progressive. And I’ve been telling you for how long now, three years, there are progressives in both parties.”

“Well, Mike Huckabee obviously didn’t take kindly to that critique, to say the least. He sent me late one night, I think it was maybe Tuesday night, a nasty e-mail saying in part that I should have come to him and not talked about these things publicly. The problem is I have a publicly broadcast national radio show and I don’t really do a show for a private audience of one on a telephone.”

“But as I said, I don’t have anything against Mike Huckabee. I just don’t want him to be our next President, although I did point out on Tuesday, he is absolutely, positively no Barack Obama. Very few are.”

When Glenn went to respond to Huckabee’s email and invite him on the show to talk about the issues, he saw that Huckabee had posted comments to his website and broadcast his anger out to the AP and his nationally broadcast ABC radio show.

The comments are below:

This week Glenn Beck has taken to his radio show to attack me as a Progressive, which he has said is the same as a “cancer” and a “Nazi.” What did I do that apparently caused him to link me to a fatal disease and a form of government that murdered millions of innocent Jews? I had the audacity–not of hope–but the audacity to give respect to the efforts of First Lady Michelle Obama’s Let’s Move campaign to address childhood obesity. I’m no fan of her husband’s policies for sure, but I have appreciated her efforts that Beck misrepresented–either out of ignorance or out of a deliberate attempt to distort them to create yet another “boogey man” hiding in the closet that he and only he can see. The First Lady’s approach is about personal responsibility–not the government literally taking candy from a baby’s mouth. He seems to fancy himself a prophet of sorts for his linking so many people and events together to describe a massive global conspiracy for pretty much everything. Sadly, he seems equally inept at recognizing the obvious fact that children are increasingly obese and that we now see clinical evidence of diseases in children that as recent as 20 years ago were found only in adults, such as Type 2 diabetes. The costs to our nation are staggering in increase health care expenses, but it even effects national security with now 75% of young men between the ages of 17 and 24 are unfit for military service primarily due to obesity! His ridiculous claim that John McCain and I collaborated and conspired in the 2008 campaign is especially laughable. Is he not aware that McCain and I were competitors—not cohorts? Beck needs to stick to conspiracies that can’t be so easily de-bunked by facts. Why Beck has decided to aim his overloaded guns on me is beyond me. But he ought to clean his gun and point it more carefully lest it blow up in his face like it did this time.
******************************************************
“First of all, Mr. Huckabee, I did not realize that I had called all progressives Nazis. That is weird. I have said Nazis have used progressive tactics. You should read Bernays. If you don’t believe me, read Goebbels,” Glenn explained.

“The only place that I’ve ever heard that kind of a smear is on George Soros’ website, Media Matters. Interesting how you would go to Media Matters’ talking points when you feel like it would benefit you, Mr. Huckabee. I’ve never said progressive is the same as Nazi. So, let’s not try to twist this into me accusing you of killing millions of Jews.”

“I compared Mike Huckabee progressivism to John McCain. Now, while I wasn’t a huge fan of Mr. McCain, I wound up voting for the guy. So, I clearly don’t consider progressives Nazis, unless you’re taking the talking points from MSNBC, where anyone who has my point of view is a Nazi,” he continued.

“As for Mike Huckabee’s support of the big government intrusion that Michelle Obama is spear heading, you can appreciate her efforts all you like, Mike. That’s great. But it’s not conservative. It’s not a small government position if you do. It’s not anything that a libertarian would understand. I have never misrepresented her effort. It is simply not the business of government to involve themselves in what my children or your children eat at home or at school. It is a parental responsibility.”

But Mike Huckabee’s support for the First Lady’s program is not the only reason Glenn believes that Mike Huckabee’s politics are not in line with the philosophy of small government.

While governor of Arkansas, Mike Huckabee said:

Again let me state what I’ve said privately, as well as publically. I want to get it on the record again. There’s a lot of support for a tax at the wholesale level for tobacco and that’s fine with me. I will very happily sign that because it’s a revenue stream that will meet the needs if enacted as a level that will help us to meet that 90 to $100 million target and that’s what I would begin to focus your attention on is the target. Now, some of you have suggested the retail level of tobacco. If that ends up being your preference, I will accept that. Others have suggested a surcharge on the income tax. That’s acceptable. I’m fine with that. Others have suggested, perhaps, a sales tax. That’s fine. Yet, others have suggested a hybrid that would collect some monies from any one or combination of those various ideas and if that’s the plan that the House and Senate agree on, then you will have nothing but my profound thanks.

“I’ve never heard a man who loves tax increases as much as Mike Huckabee,” Glenn said.

Glenn then played audio from FOX News where Huckabee said, “In a Huckabee campaign statement this afternoon, they acknowledged that the tax hikes were to cover a general revenue shortfall in the state budget.”

“During his tenure, state spending increased spending increased by 65.3%. The number of state workers in the government rose by 20%. The state’s general obligation debt shot up almost by $1 billion. He wants a sales tax on Internet goods. This is big government progressivism. It’s not Barack Obama, but it is progressivism, nonetheless,” Glenn explained.

“Huckabee has bragged many times that he has cut taxes 94 times while in office and that is absolutely true. And let me give you some of the cuts. They included exempting residential lawn care from the sales tax, reducing taxes on bets made at Southland Greyhound Park, and exempting Arkansas’s symphony orchestra purchases from the sales tax.”

“The fact is during his time as governor, taxes increased 47% over all,” Glenn said.

“He has also supported scholarships for illegal alien children while attending college.”

“Then there’s the issue of the 1058 pardons and commutations for criminals in the Arkansas prison system,” Glenn said. “I realize that he is a Christian man, he is a pastor, and he believes in second chances, as do I. If it wasn’t for a second chance and if it wasn’t for the saving grace of Jesus Christ, I wouldn’t be here today, but we leave justice to the justice system, not to a governor.”

“One of those he commuted, Maurice Clemmons, went on several years after his commutation to kill four police officers in Washington State before he killed himself. Huckabee said in an interview with Bill O’Reilly that he wishes he would have known nine years earlier what this man was capable of. Yeah. That’s why you don’t pardon one criminal every four days while in office, because you just don’t know. “

“I want to point out, as a guy who has been in this battle now, as well, and has had every gun turned on me from the right and the left, it only gets tougher from here. If, sir, you are this thin-skinned about your politics, it might be best for you to stay on the sidelines,” Glenn said.

“The last thing we need is someone challenging Barack Obama, not as President of the United States but challenging Barack Obama for his title as the most thin-skinned President in American history.”

And then, my reply comment on HotAir.
C.W. wrote:
The truth about this entire episode is that Glenn uses the same old half-truths about Huckabee's record.
Beck wrote:
“I’ve never heard a man who loves tax increases as much as Mike Huckabee,” Glenn said.
Beck is just being dishonest here, and he knows it. And all of you know it. He repeats the out of context quote that Club for Growth used in attack ads.
Beck wrote:
“He has also supported scholarships for illegal alien children while attending college.”
Beck is just lying. Huckabee supported these kids being eligible equally under the law to their peers. He didn't just want to hand out scholarships to people because they were illegal.

Beck wrote:
“Then there’s the issue of the 1058 pardons and commutations for criminals in the Arkansas prison system,” Glenn said. “I realize that he is a Christian man, he is a pastor, and he believes in second chances, as do I. If it wasn’t for a second chance and if it wasn’t for the saving grace of Jesus Christ, I wouldn’t be here today, but we leave justice to the justice system, not to a governor.”
Here, Glenn just ridicules Huckabee's faith, implying that the Governor capriciously pardoned based on a religion. There is absolutely NO evidence of this. Glenn also neglects the fact that the Arkansas constitution charges the Governor with the power to review clemency requests. Anyone who understands the concept of checks and balances will appreciate this. As a matter of fact, the vast majority of clemency requests granted were to people who had already served their time, and were trying to get jobs.
Beck wrote:
“One of those he commuted, Maurice Clemmons, went on several years after his commutation to kill four police officers in Washington State before he killed himself. Huckabee said in an interview with Bill O’Reilly that he wishes he would have known nine years earlier what this man was capable of. Yeah. That’s why you don’t pardon one criminal every four days while in office, because you just don’t know. “
First of all, Clemmons was killed by police without a trial. Justified, I'm sure. Beck again conveniently neglects to mention pertinent facts in his effort to demonize Huckbee. The Governor granted the clemency at the recommendation of the parole board and the trial judge. Think about that. The trial judge thought Clemmons sentence was not right. Huckabee did not release, or pardon Clemmons. Clemmons remained in jail after Huckabee's action. Demonstrably, Beck is not just dealing in facts. He seeks to deceive his listeners about Mike Huckabee's record. That is a fact.

As far as being thin skinned, Huckabee faced all the same old attacks and misrepresentations in '07 and '08. Yet his skin was thick enough to survive, come in second to McCain, increase his following, and lead most polls. That's right, He's still on top!!



I'm hoping that you folks here will tell me what you like or dislike about my response. I'd like to try to hone my truth squad skills. What works, and what doesn't?


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:25 pm 
Offline
***** General

Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:45 pm
Posts: 1792
Location: Pennsylvania
Likes: 208
Liked: 275
You can always tell when you've made a direct hit on someone's battleship when they respond as immaturally as Beck did here. Beck didn't compare progressivism with Nazism? He showed nightly clips of Nazi's marching down the street in 1930's Germany while talking about progressives. That's close enough of a comparison, Glennbo!

So glad he's off Fox and I bet the people at Fox are glad he's leaving as well.

_________________
Most people believe what they see, the Left see's what it believes.....


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:58 pm 
Offline
***** General
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:52 pm
Posts: 4803
Location: Texas
Likes: 90
Liked: 259
Excellent response Christopher!

I like how you broke it down and pointed out the errors of each section.

Good work!

_________________
ConservTexan

http://ilikemikehuckabee2012.blogspot.com/


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:56 pm 
Offline
***** General

Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:32 pm
Posts: 3685
Location: Colorado
Likes: 341
Liked: 247
German4Huckabee wrote:
ColoradoMom4Huckabee wrote:
Just got this email from Glenn Beck:

Sooo...Huckabee picked the fight??? His was a response! It's looking to me like Glenn intentionally set out to start a war with Mike. We need to pray for wisdom regarding Mike's moves in this battle.

Please pray about this issue:
http://forum.hucksarmy.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=23913&p=208708#p208708


Thank you, Peter.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:24 pm 
Offline
***** General
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:50 pm
Posts: 2363
Location: Iowa
Likes: 51
Liked: 211
Huck has a national platform now and he needs to use it to its full advantage. I am hoping he addresses it on his show since Beck chose today to drudge up all of the Huckabee smears from 2008.

I personally hope he destroys Beck on his show because he will never be on our side so he must be neutralized.

_________________
"We fought, we dreamed, that dream is still with us."
Ronald Reagan, 1976


TEAM HUCK IOWA
http://www.facebook.com/TeamHuckIowa


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:06 am 
Offline
***** General
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:46 pm
Posts: 1563
Location: Texas
Likes: 178
Liked: 374
The most idiotic thing about this is that Glenn Beck purports to be very concerned about America's future. And here he is tearing down our best shot at taking this country back in 2012.

I personally can't wait for Beck to be off Fox News. He sometimes has interesting guests on, and the focus on faith is welcome, but going after Huckabee so dishonestly like this has really stirred me. That brings to mind the next most idiotic thing about this. No one in the Republican Party (or Tea Party) understands better the fundamental role of faith and sound moral values to our polity than does Gov Huckabee. That Beck is picking a fight with the person he should most support indicates that he's either a fraud or just muddle-headed; I'm sure it's the latter. Attention Glenn Beck, the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Nice comic relief at this point would be Beck putting GMH's photo up on the conspiracy board next to Van Jones, etc.

_________________
THE TIMES are nightfall, look, their light grows less;
The times are winter, watch, a world undone:
They waste, they wither worse; they as they run
Or bring more or more blazon man’s distress.
And I not help. Nor word now of success:
All is from wreck, here, there, to rescue one—
Work which to see scarce so much as begun
Makes welcome death, does dear forgetfulness.
Or what is else? There is your world within.
There rid the dragons, root out there the sin.
Your will is law in that small commonweal…
G.M. Hopkins.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:44 am 
Offline
Lieutenant General
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:19 pm
Posts: 1044
Likes: 8
Liked: 208
I completely agree that Huckabee should fire back against the charge that he is progressive and set the record straight on all the distortions of his record in Arkansas. If he's going to run then these things are going to come up, and they need to be addressed forcefully. I wrote an article entitled "Why Does the Angry Right Dislike Huckabee?" http://www.wiserepublic.com/2797/why-does-the-angry-right-dislike-huckabee/ In the article I talk about why they feel a need to distort and make these kinds of claims.

However.....I believe you can answer the policy and substance of a charge without getting personal with the guy who made it. I greatly sympathize with why Huckabee would shoot back against Beck and his conspiratorial leanings. There was truth in what Huckabee said, but it looks defensive. It reminds me of when he was taking all kinds of shots from Romney and The Club For Growth in Iowa, and he was increasingly getting angry about it to the point of making that TV commercial that he eventually didn't air. I think Huckabee was completely entitled to how he felt about this, and I'm sure he needed to vent and get some things off his chest. I'm sure there's some things he would have liked to have said about Beck for a long time. But the venting part should have been done in private. That's why you have your spouse and close friends. You can't publicly say everything you feel.

I know there is a predisposition to always think the person you're supporting is doing everything right, and whatever they do is the best way it should have been done, but you can't get into that kind of group-think or mindset. Huckabee needed someone around him during Iowa that could warn him that he was getting sucked into Romney's trap and to stay above it. I saw what the constant barrage of attacks did to McCain in 2000 in South Carolina. He allowed his feelings to get the best of him, and it hurt him.

I know this is much easier said that done. I know how badly I want to shoot back at people when something is said about me. The first thing I want to do is target what I believe are their weaknesses and hit them just as hard or harder as they've hit me. God still has to continuously remind me that "The wrath of man does not work the righteousness of God." and "When angry do not sin."

Believe me when I tell you I'm not trying to get up on my high-horse and be preachy. I've made my share of mistakes in this area, and I know I'll make a few more. If Mike gets into the Presidential race these kinds of attacks are going to be constant. You can't fire back at every person and make accusations against them (even if they're true). You've got to address the substance of the attack, and then address the true motives which transcend any individual and go to the heart of why so many of them don't want to see Huckabee as President. I've seen Palin get caught up in allowing the constant criticism and attacks to affect her and cause her to appear defensive and thin-skinned. People take that and translate it into the person doesn't have the temperament to be President. I don't want them to make that conclusion about Huckabee.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:38 am 
Offline
***** General
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:50 pm
Posts: 2363
Location: Iowa
Likes: 51
Liked: 211
I agree with you to a point, Walter. As with everything in life, there is a time and place for everything. The difference is Palin's situations is that EVERYTHING is a hill ti die on for her. She does not have discernment to pick and choose her battles and made everything personal. What she was doing was popular at first but her constant victim card has cost her dearly. GH on the other hand has been a punching bag for the conservative media for far too long and when the time and place was appropriate he should fire back, and he did. Beck fired the first 2012 shot against GH and GH stepped up to the plate.

Beck is dangerous in a lot of ways. Not only for GH and how conservatives view him but also to Christians (I won't go there right now and keep it political). So, not only did GH have to set the record straight on his view of M. Obama's initiative and the McCain 2008 conspiracy theory, but he also had to discredit Beck while doing it to neutralize his influence because it is so large.

The last person I see as being thin skinned is GH because of the many poundings he has taken from the right and has stayed silent. People don't think he is tough enough? Maybe the roundhouse he just served Beck might make them feel differently.

_________________
"We fought, we dreamed, that dream is still with us."
Ronald Reagan, 1976


TEAM HUCK IOWA
http://www.facebook.com/TeamHuckIowa


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:35 am 
Offline
***** General

Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:12 pm
Posts: 4153
Likes: 307
Liked: 525
Not to be overly sarcastic here, but, if there were really that many people who cared about Glenn Beck's opinions about the 2012 candidates, would his show have been cancelled?

I hate to admit it, but I care slightly more about Meghan McCain's opinion on the subject (which, of course, I don't care about at all).If there are a significant number of voters who are influenced by Beck who already didn't hate Huckabee, then this country needs more prayer than I realized.

_________________
The Values Voter
http://thevaluesvoter.spaces.live.com



Post by TheValuesVoter Liked by: miracleshappen
Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:02 pm 
Offline
***** General

Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:45 pm
Posts: 1792
Location: Pennsylvania
Likes: 208
Liked: 275
Iowans Rock wrote:
I agree with you to a point, Walter. As with everything in life, there is a time and place for everything. The difference is Palin's situations is that EVERYTHING is a hill ti die on for her. She does not have discernment to pick and choose her battles and made everything personal. What she was doing was popular at first but her constant victim card has cost her dearly. GH on the other hand has been a punching bag for the conservative media for far too long and when the time and place was appropriate he should fire back, and he did. Beck fired the first 2012 shot against GH and GH stepped up to the plate.

Beck is dangerous in a lot of ways. Not only for GH and how conservatives view him but also to Christians (I won't go there right now and keep it political). So, not only did GH have to set the record straight on his view of M. Obama's initiative and the McCain 2008 conspiracy theory, but he also had to discredit Beck while doing it to neutralize his influence because it is so large.

The last person I see as being thin skinned is GH because of the many poundings he has taken from the right and has stayed silent. People don't think he is tough enough? Maybe the roundhouse he just served Beck might make them feel differently.


I agree with your take on this. In fact, I have what you might call moderate type democrat friends who are thrilled that Huck put Beck in his place and say he's a Republican they could vote for. Beck's popularity is on the downswing with even some of his fellow radio blabbers like Savage and Levin taking pot shots at him. Beck's schtick of acting like he's the first to uncover how horrible the Left is rubs people the wrong way, especially those who have been in this fight for a long time. The people who still follow Beck will likely end up voting 3rd party anyway, as it's unlikely any of the GOP candidates who actually could win the primary will meet their unrealsitic standard of purity.

_________________
Most people believe what they see, the Left see's what it believes.....


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:11 pm 
Offline
Private

Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:35 pm
Posts: 42
Likes: 0
Liked: 8
Here's my view of talk radio's narrative on Mike. They will criticize most candidates at one point or another so they can say "I've criticized (Romney, Palin, Trum, etc.) before," and that way they feel inundated from their intentionally unfairness/bias toward Mike. Their intent is to portray Mike as big gov't, McCain-like, progressive, RINO, etc. Which is essentially the worst thing you can be on talk radio short of Obama. That is the template they have on Mike, and you don't break templates in talk radio.
Here are the comparisons:

1) Romney - Masscare is is biggest knock from talk radio. However, I have never heard them go beyond that to portray him as big gov't, progressive, McCain, etc. Because their template is he's conservative, but Romneycare is bad.

2) Palin - they almost never look at her record of governing. If they do it takes up about 1% of the time she's talked about. They mostly cover her as a victim or tea party favorite. I've never heard once her record used to illustrate whether she's "conservative" or not. Didn't she support a similar food program to Michelle's?

3) Trump - they just follow Trump and speculate. They might try and tag him as liberal, etc. but they know they can't invent a narrative on Donald because everyone knows him.

4) Christie/Walker/Brewer - they are only looked at as Conservative champions because of a specific media narrative. No one ever goes through their records regularly like talk radio does when referring to Mike. Because they want the narrative on these guys to remain as "conservative" champions.

5) Reagan as Governor/President - you will never hear any potentially liberal decision/position/policy he ever supported mentioned. And if you do it will be glossed over as quickly as possible. I think he had a lot more knocks in CA than Mike did in Arkansas.


Finally, the issue of Mike on talk radio has always been a question of scale to me. When you take the amount of time each of these candidates has been talked about by Beck/Rush/Levin/etc. and calculate the amount of time the've been critiqued the way Mike has, I would say, relatively speaking, Mike has been characterized negatively at a scale of 10-1 compared to the others.

To make it more clear, if they talk about Mike for 15 minutes, 14 minutes will probably be to illustrate why he's liberal. If they talk about another for 15 minutes, they'll only spend 2 minutes talking about why they MIGHT BE
liberal.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:07 pm 
Offline
Lieutenant General
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:19 pm
Posts: 1044
Likes: 8
Liked: 208
I do want to be clear that I'm in no way advocating a passive approach to the kind of criticism that came from Beck. It needed a strong response. In fact I have felt for a long time that Huckabee needs to stop tip-toe'ing around Limbaugh and take him head-on over his criticisms. I think Huckabee is concerned about offending Limbaugh, having Limbaugh come after him, and then he lose the support of Limbaugh's listeners. But in fact I believe if it was done correctly Huckabee could gain more support from Limbaugh's listeners and get a lot of respect in the process.

I understand that you guys are saying this is what he did with Beck, and that it was overdue. As I've said I do believe Huckabee needed to give a strong response. What I disagree with is going after Beck in more of a personal way rather than keeping it on policy and substance. As I've also said I do understand though how difficult this can be when you feel someone has taken an unfair shot at you.

On a practical level I would advise against firing back in any kind of personal way because when you do it often leads you to make the same kind of broad generalizations that you feel were leveled at yourself. For instance when Huckabee made reference to Beck labeling progressives as Nazis he left himself open to a counter-punch where Beck could correctly point out that while he has said Nazis used Progressive tactics he has not said all Progressives are Nazis.

With regards to Beck I have seen my view of him change literally from day to day. I am not a regular viewer, but I have found some of his shows on history to be very enlightening and a net-plus. Other times though I get very concerned as he seems to take one set of facts over here and blend them with another set of facts over there to draw a conclusion that I'm not comfortable with. I also agree that his problems with Huckabee go beyond policies, and I think the same can be said of Limbaugh. There's more to it then they let on.

I really do feel Huckabee needs some people around him that can help him with knowing how to be assertive in these situations without crossing the line and becoming aggressive. In my view he is hurt whenever he is passive or aggressive. Most of the time he appears to take a very measured approach and lands in just the right spots. It seems though that he has let some of the criticism from the 2008 campaign sink in a little too deep and reacts rather than responds.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:59 pm 
Offline
Major General
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:54 am
Posts: 655
Location: Newport Beach in Southern California
Likes: 181
Liked: 35
The Fox News decision to fire Beck sure looks like a great idea now.

I guess Fox News could care less about Beck's opinion during the upcoming elections of 2012. Especially his opinion of the different candidates and their records.

No danger now of him shilling for Romney on Fox News property.

_________________



Image
Please click^ on the tank and join up today :)


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:31 pm 
Offline
***** General

Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:45 pm
Posts: 1792
Location: Pennsylvania
Likes: 208
Liked: 275
Beck is playing a type of word game when he says that he only has compared progressives tactics to Nazi's and not that progressives are Nazi's. It reminds me of the joke comedian Paul Reiser used to tell about someone insulting another person but throwing in the phrase "I'm just saying" to make it sound less personal (e.g. "I'm not saying you're a Nazi, I'm just saying....."). If you watched or listen to Beck long enough, you easily come to the conclusion that Beck is linking progressives to Nazism, which I always thought was a bit off-based because progressives are more closely aligned with Marxist-Leninist ideology. Beck got called out for his careless use of words and he's sore about it now. Boo hoo!

_________________
Most people believe what they see, the Left see's what it believes.....


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:28 pm 
Offline
Major General

Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:01 pm
Posts: 736
Location: Lakewood, CO
Likes: 118
Liked: 147
goalieman wrote:
Beck is playing a type of word game when he says that he only has compared progressives tactics to Nazi's and not that progressives are Nazi's. It reminds me of the joke comedian Paul Reiser used to tell about someone insulting another person but throwing in the phrase "I'm just saying" to make it sound less personal (e.g. "I'm not saying you're a Nazi, I'm just saying....."). If you watched or listen to Beck long enough, you easily come to the conclusion that Beck is linking progressives to Nazism, which I always thought was a bit off-based because progressives are more closely aligned with Marxist-Leninist ideology. Beck got called out for his careless use of words and he's sore about it now. Boo hoo!

That reminds me of the old southern tradition of saying something mean about someone followed by "bless her heart" because that somehow makes it better. Say what you mean and mean what you say. Or in the words of the risen Saviour, "Let your yes be yes and your no be no." I'm just sayin'....

_________________
Judith Martinez
"It is true poverty for a child to die so that we may live as we wish."


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
POWERED_BY