Hucks Army - Faith. Family. Freedom. [Grassroots] JOIN HUCKS ARMY | GET INVOLVED | FUNDRAISING | LINKS | LEADERSHIP | ABOUT
It is currently Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:41 pm 
***** General

Liked: 13
And anyway, again Perry's advantages are strongest in the primary season: (1) job creator, (2) military veteran, (3) social conservative, (4) governing one of America's largest states (generally successfully, and longer than anyone in Texas history), (5) a longtime politician of multiple campaigns -- having never lost. Now, people can offer things which are unlikeable about him, as they can on any politician. But, it seems to me that a candidate and a competent campaign staff have the pieces to assemble a persuasive narrative. The question is, can Perry (the man) execute the sale of that narrative? Will the reality support the narrative, or is there enough negative counter-information to undermine the narrative?

As far as Romney, see: viewtopic.php?p=214507#p214507

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:08 pm 
Private

Liked: 2
If we only look at electability Ron Paul has demonstrated just as much strength in recent pollings against Barack Obama as Mitt Romney has. I don't get the Rick Perry hype. What is so special about him? He governored Texas, so what.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:58 pm 
***** General

Liked: 525
coloredopinions wrote:
If we only look at electability Ron Paul has demonstrated just as much strength in recent pollings against Barack Obama as Mitt Romney has. I don't get the Rick Perry hype. What is so special about him? He governored Texas, so what.

I apologize for being cynical, but I think what's special about him is that he won't rock the boat too much for the comfort of estabishment types. I sort of get that feeling based on things like him endorsing Giuliani and then McCain in 2008 and then making the statement that abortion is a "state's rights" issue (which, of course, was the exact same thing that was said about Slavery and Jim Crow Segregation). It's either wrong everywhere or it's not wrong at all and a candidate will either take a firm position for life or they won't get my vote.

Post by TheValuesVoter Liked by: justgrace

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:13 pm 
Site Admin

Liked: 782
VertiCon wrote:
And anyway, again Perry's advantages are strongest in the primary season: (1) job creator, (2) military veteran, (3) social conservative, (4) governing one of America's largest states (generally successfully, and longer than anyone in Texas history), (5) a longtime politician of multiple campaigns -- having never lost. Now, people can offer things which are unlikeable about him, as they can on any politician. But, it seems to me that a candidate and a competent campaign staff have the pieces to assemble a persuasive narrative. The question is, can Perry (the man) execute the sale of that narrative? Will the reality support the narrative, or is there enough negative counter-information to undermine the narrative?

As far as Romney, see: viewtopic.php?p=214507#p214507

Well, it seems there are some enthusiastic supporters of Perry following the Values Bus around. At every stop they are waving signs and cheering for Gov. Perry. :wink:

I heard an interview of Connie Mackey of FRC and NOM this morning on American Family Radio. She was laughing that Perry fans are like "stalkers" taking advantage of the bus tour, but are more pleasant than some of the groups that stalk them. :lol:

Here is more about the Values Bus that is rumbling across Iowa.

Quote:
Family Values bus tour hits the road
August 9, 2011, 2:03 pm
By Rod Boshart/SourceMedia Group News

http://easterniowagovernment.com/2011/08/09/family-values-bus-tour-hits-the-road/

DES MOINES – A coalition of national and Iowa conservative groups launched a four-day bus tour Tuesday to rally “values voters” to oppose abortion and same-sex marriage as the presidential race heats up with a GOP candidate debate and the Republican straw poll event in Ames later this week.

Republican presidential candidate Tim Pawlenty, a former Minnesota governor, joined representatives of the Susan B. Anthony List, the Family Research Council Action’s Faith Family Freedom Fund and the National Organization for Marriage (NOM) in launching the 22-city tour that promoters hope will inform Iowans which candidates have signed a pro-life presidential leadership pledge and can be counted on as a strong leader in defending human life and traditional marriage.

“Value voters will be closely watching this week’s events as they determine which of the candidates are willing to do what it takes, once elected, to restore fiscal sanity, protect marriage, safeguard religious liberty and protect the rights of the unborn,” said Connie Mackey of Family Research Council Action.

Mackey noted that economic issues have overshadowed social concerns, but Bob Vander Plaats, president and CEO of The Family Leader based in Pleasant Hill, said Americans are making a connection that fiscal matters are dependent on a strong moral foundation and family values to thrive.

“There’s no doubt that people want bold leadership today — bold leadership on limited government, bold leadership on fiscal integrity, bold leadership on promoting free enterprise and bold leadership when it comes to the family issues,” Vander Plaats said. “I think a lot of people are finally starting to connect the dots that as you promote the erosion of the family, you’ll never limit the size of government and you’ll never create an economic environment where things can thrive.”

Former Congresswoman Marilyn Musgrave, now with Susan B. Anthony’s List
, called Democrat Barack Obama “one of the most pro-abortion president in history.”

She said the bus-tour activists were getting out the message that “pro-lifers have not gone away” and that opposition to abortion and support for traditional one-man, one-woman marriage would be winning issues in 2012, not political liabilities as some want to make them out to be.

Pawlenty touted his support of abortion restrictions while governor of Minnesota and he credited a decline in the procedures in his home state to the work of abortion opponents who helped change public attitudes.

“We will ultimately win this cause by winning over the hearts and minds of people,” he said. “We’re going to win this cause because we’re right.”

Troy Price of One Iowa, the state’s leading lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender advocacy group,” said the tour was another example of out-of-state organizations coming into Iowa with the intent of trying to inject their political influence in the state that kicks off the presidential nominating process.

“It was four or five speakers before we first saw an Iowan speak. I think it underscores that these groups are trying to come in and influence the straw poll and trying to influence the voters here in Iowa but I don’t think that voters are necessarily buying it,” Price said. “I think that at the end of the day this conversation is about freedom, freedom to marry the person you love, and these national organizations are here trying to take away that right. But we’re going to fight and we’re going to do everything we can to make sure that marriage equality remains here in Iowa.”

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:18 pm 
Site Admin

Liked: 782
Three candidates have signed the Defense of Marriage Pledge:

Quote:
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: August 4, 2011
CONTACT: Elizabeth Ray (x130) or Mary Beth Hutchins (x105) at 703-683-5004

BACHMANN, ROMNEY AND SANTORUM SIGN NOM MARRIAGE PLEDGE, COMMIT TO CONCRETE STEPS TO SUPPORT MARRIAGE

"Three marriage champions have emerged," says Brian Brown, President of the National Organization for Marriage

WASHINGTON - "Many candidates say they support traditional marriage (like President Obama!) but three GOP presidential candidates today stand head and shoulders above the crowd as marriage champions, for their willingness to go beyond words to commit to concrete actions," said Brian Brown, president of NOM, speaking on the eve of the launch of the Values Voter Bus Tour through 22 Iowa cities, which NOM is co-sponsoring. "We are grateful to Michelle Bachmann, Mitt Romney and Rick Santorum for their courage and their leadership in standing up for marriage, and so are millions of Americans who care about protecting marriage."

NOM's marriage pledge was offered to all serious announced candidates for the GOP nomination. An opportunity to sign the Marriage Pledge will be extended to Gov. Rick Perry and other major candidates, if and as they enter the race.

In signing NOM's marriage pledge, Mitt Romney, Michelle Bachman and Rick Santorum pledged to:

* Support and send to the states a federal marriage amendment defining marriage as one man and one woman,
* Defend DOMA in court,
* Appoint judges and an attorney general who will respect the original meaning of the Constitution,
* Appoint a presidential commission to investigate harassment of traditional marriage supporters,
* Support legislation that would return to the people of D.C. their right to vote for marriage.

"Marriage is an issue with an unbroken string of victories that unites Republicans, and we're pleased and honored the leading candidates in the race for the GOP nomination have spoken up for marriage. We expect the voters of Iowa, New Hampshire, and South Carolina will continue to reward candidates who champion marriage," noted Brown.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:33 am 
***** General

Liked: 523
Hmm, interesting that Romney would not sign the pro-life pledge but has no problem with this one? I haven't verified it, but they do look very similar...