Hucks Army - Faith. Family. Freedom. [Grassroots] JOIN HUCKS ARMY | GET INVOLVED | FUNDRAISING | LINKS | LEADERSHIP | ABOUT
It is currently Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:32 am 
Lieutenant General

Liked: 340
Quote:
Mike Huckabee: Don't expect endorsement any time soon
By JONATHAN MARTIN | 6/16/11 5:34 PM

NEW ORLEANS — Mike Huckabee said Thursday before a speech at the Republican Leadership Conference that he was unlikely to get behind a candidate anytime soon, but did signal who he’s fond of - and who he’s less enthusiastic about.

And, no, I don’t just mean Mitt.

“I’m not endorsing anybody right now,” Huckabee said on his way to a book signing here. “I’ll let the field play out and make a decision on that later on.”

Yet he was notably effusive about Tim Pawlenty when asked about some critical comments he made earlier in the week regarding the Minnesotan’s debate performance.

Huckabee indicated that he had talked to Pawlenty to explain why he called the candidate “over-coached, over-consulted” on Laura Ingraham’s radio show.

“I visited w Gov. Pawlenty about that,” said Huck. “He’s a great guy, he’s a strong candidate, he’s a very articulate person and he has an incredible record. My point was that he doesn’t need to let the consultants coach him to the point that he doesn’t get to be who he is.”

The Arkansan was, however, notably less talkative when asked about Texas Gov. Rick Perry’s prospects.

“I think it’s wide open for anybody but we’ll see,” Huckabee said, not mentioning Perry.

There is some history here, as Kay Henderson delved into this week.

Huckabee sought his neighboring governor’s endorsement in the 2008 presidential campaign, but Perry rebuffed him to get behind Rudy in part because he didn’t think the Arkansan could win.

“I love Mike,” Perry told an Iowa crowd in 2007. “I mean, he’s like a brother. I just don’t think he can win and I shared that with him. And [Huckabee] asked me to be his national chairman about six months ago and I told him, I said, ’Man, I love you like a brother, but just let me slide here.’ It was a hard conversation to call and tell him I was for Rudy. He was disappointed and a bit frustrated. I still love him and he loves me.”

On Jon Huntsman, Huckabee suggested that he the former Utah governor was pursuing his support.

“Jon’s a good guy,” Huck said, noting that the two had dinner in New York last month.

Asked if Huntsman sought his endorsement, Huck said: “Well I think he would love to have it, but he understand that right now I’m not going to support anybody.”
More POLITICO 2012 LIVE

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0611/57165.html

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:37 am 
Site Admin

Liked: 782
Just as everyone waited with bated breath for Huckabee's announcement before making predictions, they seem to be breathlessly anticipating who he will endorse. The endorsements of Huckabee last two election cycles have taken on the value of the endorsement a President might give. They are worth their weight in gold. Just as Huckabee was the "one to beat" in the Presidential primaries, and all the other potential candidates seemed to be waiting for him, now the game for his endorsement has begun.

I am glad for the sake of the Republican Party that Gov. Huckabee still believes in the Eleventh Commandment, not to run down his fellow Republicans, no matter how ill they have treated him. It's easy to make enemies by being petty; it takes a great man to know which battles to overlook and to keep in perspective that sometimes our friends are all too human. They make mistakes like we do and have to learn the hard way, also.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:56 pm 
***** General

Liked: 190
The reason stated above is why I could never even consider supporting or voting for Rick Perry..no matter how good he is, no way, period. What he did to Gov. Huckabee, IMO, says alot about Perry's character, none of which is good.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:07 am 
***** General

Liked: 523
Anyone else getting the sense that GH is leaning toward TPaw at this point?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:59 am 
Private

Liked: 12
QuoVadisAnima wrote:
Anyone else getting the sense that GH is leaning toward TPaw at this point?

It would make sense if he was. Pawlenty is close to the top of my preferred candidates. Nobody has actually made it to the top of my list yet. Not very many pundits are endorsing quite yet, with ample reason to hold back. There is so much remaining time to make huge gaffes. Who would want to endorse and then end up supporting someone who bombs? That would cheapen your endorsement quite a bit. Most, including Mike, will not endorse anyone for a while. But you are probably correct in seeing that Tim Pawlenty is close to the top of Mike's preferred list.

And Huntsman? If a governor can't oppose the gay rights movement in Utah, where can he? I don't want to nominate a chicken with just feathers, I want some meat and a spine... and who would that be? Someone who needs to reconsider... :wink:

Post by Lars E Schroeder Liked by: GrannyT